Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > i need help w/ the BTB weave!!!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

SsJ KaKaRoTtOmember
26 posts

Posted:
i really do! i mean, i cant even get it started! i dont kno how to do it! i keep hitting myself in the legs, back, head, and balls! it aint pretty! can anyone help me and tell me how to get it started. and then how to get into it..........the BTB weave lesson in the "Poi-lessons" section doesnt help! plz! can anyone help me!?!SsJ KaKaRoTtO

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
There is a lot of information on the BTB weave, do a search on it and you'll find plenty. I am also trying to learn it myself and I have found enough info using the search feature. The moderators are getting quite upset that people are repeating topics so I suggest using my advice wink. Happy searching grinChris

Defy Gravity!

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
hey, i was going to start a new topic on this, but looks like someone did it for me smileyea, well lets see... some brief historyi pretty much got everything that i know down way back in March '01 except for the the btb weavei always kept trying to practice/learn it but i always kept getting so frustrated that i gave upthat was back in MaySchool starts and a revelation hits me[start of real info]the reverse btb weave (the face and calf bashing one) uses the same motions as the frontward weave, since you're hands are behind your back, but they're *ALSO* upside down (if you do this with your palms facing down you're a freak lol). First logical step, you can follow the instructions on this site and do fine, but lets break it down. Watch your hands while doing a regular frontward 3 beat weave with only your hands. What does it look like? Well it's just basically crossing your hands and switching the top hand every time, while both hands are moving left OR right. The first thing to do now is practice going behind your back with one hand at a time. I don't want to hear "i'm not flexi" or nething like that either since it's not so much about flexibility. Once you get the hang of going behind your back with each hand separately, do it some more (no joke). (I got this far back in May, here's the first revelation). Most of the help/tutorials on this on this site, talk about 3 steps, one hand behind the bac first, then crossing both, and then the entire thing. Crossing back is very vague, and because of this i always tried bringing both back at once. This results in two poi(glowstix in my case) in the face, coming from both directions *owwwww...*. *IMPORTANT*, work on bring one hand over to the opposite side FIRST and THEN bring the other over (which one, is just preference). So from rest, i swing my right hand over to my left side, and right about when it's near the middle of my back i start my left hand going (it's all a matter of timing, just remember to start them off at different times). Probably the best/most useful advice I (or anyone else) can give you is that this move takes time, pain, and more pain. Experience is the best teacher. But here are some tips:- I don't know about anyone else but when you first learn it instead of remaining straight, bend over a little bit, and rotate your trunk depending on which side the weave is on (so like when my left hand is busy doing 2 rotations on my right side, i'm leaning to the left, and vice versa). This is the main reason for not having to be flexi, since your entire body is turning- Concentrate on keep both hands together as close as possible, otherwise the strings *WILL* get caught/snag/run into your other arm/elbow/hand/face/you get the picture, so both hands should be rotating fairly close to each other- If you ever played soccer or have shin guards lying around your house, now's the time to use them. Strap them on backwards so that calf shots will merely bounce off (you'll appreciate this if it's the 100^4! time you've been hit)- Everyone has their own preferences on weight and whatnot, but I "personally" found that it's easier to learn with lighter objects (such as glowstix) since they're more forgiving with their trajectory, less mass hence easier to make little changes. But again, what you learn with is up to you- Learning with longer strings/chains/etc. is a LOT easier. Since you have more time with each rotation (this makes a BIG difference).- You will curse, scream, want to break things when you first start out. I had my revelation on Monday (9/16/01) night and have been practicing at least an hour every day for 4 days (i first started actually "doing it" about the 2nd or 3rd day). And you *WiLL* look funny doing it in the beginning, i still look like an earthworm having convulsions.- Your body *WILL* ache!hope this helps some, i know i sorta went into detail a little much, but that's all the better right? aight, laterz

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Wow, i wonder why no one has brought this topic up before, i would think that a lot of people would have trouble and ask that very same question.......

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Don't be an ass :P He already looked at explanations on the moves list. He just wanted a personal response.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
heheheOHHHHHH did i forget to add that arse is my middle name *grin*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
okay you two - don't make me stop this car and separate you! there'll be no ice cream (or cheesecake) for either of you if I have to turn around wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SsJ KaKaRoTtOmember
26 posts

Posted:
aite, i understand now! but how do i go from the weave (forwards or backwards) INTO the BTB weave! cuz i have been practicing these past few dayz and i can get it moving. but i can barely get it started from a weave.also, i keep wacking my face sometimes, and sometimes i hit my calfs everytime i transfer from right to left and left to right! i dunno why? am i doing it too slowly or what??SsJ KaKaRoTtO

SsJ KaKaRoTtOmember
26 posts

Posted:
dam! you're all savages! just chill and keep poiing! dammit!!!!!!SsJ KaKaRoTtO

Jackrabbitmember
2 posts

Posted:
man those moves are hard as hell. I gotta take some time and prolly practice it. I've been practicing with one hand but it hits me sometimes on my chest/shoulders (behind the back weave). Thanks for the advice, I'll work it through some other time smile

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
well in answer to your question, i think it's actually HARDER to go from back to front then front to back (my friend has the exact opposite opinion). just think about it in these terms. While doing a weave in front you start off by crossing the poi, and it applies the same way while going in back. so like i always initiate with my right hand, so i'll go from front left (right hand) back to my right side and straight into my left back (still right hand) without an extra revolution on my right side. it's pretty simple once you think about it

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
If I understand correctly, you are trying to flow from a normal weave into a btb weave?I have been working on this myself and it seems that the best way to do that is from rev => fwd btb, and vice versa. If you can come out of either the rev or btb weave in split-time then you can go striaght into the other one (I still need to do a coupple of rotiations beside me to get the poi spinning in the right direction). With practice I immagine you don't even need to come out of a weave.Hope that helps.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
jaeden:A friend of mine is organizing a little get together of all the e-town spinners. It should be a wicked session. I believe it will be at the legislature grounds on the second week of october. Spread the word. E-mail me at phuongvu@crackdealer.com for more details.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
A mist rises from my mind confused and a moment of clarity snakes into existance. It lasts about two seconds but that is the longest yet and I am endebted to TaiGuy smileThank you.Ithaca------------------be nice, life's to short for shit.

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire