Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
eerr one beat of the 5 beat BTB weave.. nearly at least I've stopped hitting myself in the eye..

more practise and I'll have the other side sussed..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Oh, i just got down the 5 beat reverse weave! i'm so proud of myself hahahaha, and i can do the overhead 1 handed butterfly now, i've almost learned how to do the butterfly-weave (fake-out thingy) one handed, but it's tought.

-PEACE!
-Saggy

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
badaaaaaasssss!

The backward weave eludes me no more! OK so it's only 3 beat and I look like an idiot while doing it and all you poi masters out there are way ahead of me, but nevertheless, badaaaaasssssss!

Jaeden - butterflies are boring only until you start being creative with them. Have a go at learning the TTN weave (which I mistakenly imagined I had "invented" quite recently). Looks great (too scared to do it with fire yet though!)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i got forwards 3-beat behind the back this weekend!

been avoiding it for ages cos it always seemed like it would take a concentrated effort of a week or so to learn. until one of my friends says 'nah, go on, just do it now - its easy'. normally i ignore this cos he thinks most things are 'easy'.

10-20 attempts (about 5 mins) later i had it down. RAAAHHH! to get it 5-beat is gonna take a bit longer i reckon...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Hee hee. 'Twas me who told him most things are easy. It's only 'cos he thinks most things are hard
Although to prove most things are easy I did learn Forwards 5 beats BTB Almost backwards as well, just a few more days. Now where were the rest of those Jedi moves...

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
i just managed to do this really trippy bendback/weave thing to reverse weve that goes over your head to btb weave, and a jump fullturn without hitting myself, and almost a ring leap (really speccy gymnastics jump) but im still hitting myself a bit on that one. oh yeah, and a straddle jump/double leg wrap
I AM ON A ROLL!!!!!!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Finally decided to go for the BTB weave. It seemed somehow anticlimactic. I wonder why I waited so long to even try.

{shrugs}

I blame the media.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
i just got the btb weave. YaY. im so proud. now if only i could get it the other way. and the reverse 5 beat weave is next on my list. this page has inspired me very much. and i think i figured out the reverse weave in front to the btb weave. i miss a beat though

happy swinging

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
YAY! I got the forward btb weave close to down It's not pretty yet but I can do it I think I'll work on it before I try to do it in reverse.

Update, I can do it! YAY! The reverse weave finally clicked today as well, for some reason I just never got that move, but I'm now turning cleanly.

[ 22. November 2002, 13:43: Message edited by: Jello ]

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
I learnt a new move but i don't know what it is...
It goes like this:
1: begin with a 5 beat forwards weave.
2: cross your hands over to the left side of your body, with the left poi leading, like you would normally when doing a 5 beat weave
3: each poi does one beat outside your arm
4: then each poi does one beat under your armpit
5: then you do the last three beats of a five beat, wraping your wrists up so the right poi leads back to the right side of your body
6: repeat on the right side.

Its a bit like stopping after two beats of a five, putting in two beats of burn the nose, and then continuing with a five on the same side of your body as you started, except you burn your armpit instead. I count 7 beats on each side, but it dosn't look like PKs shoulder dislocating 7...

Any idea what it is?
Ben

[ 20. November 2002, 16:15: Message edited by: tenticle ]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ben - i do this move too but its not a 7 beat weave really - you come 'out' of the weave when you do the burn the armpit bit.
there are indeed 7 beats but its 'cheating' really seein as you can do as many btn type beats as you like before wrapping your wrists and crossing to the other side again.

while i'm here i learnt hyperloops (right to left) and buzzsawed hyperloops (left to right) this weekend

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
That last move looks even nicer if you can do isolations on the beats under your armpit...

And while i'm talking of new moves...

Do a normal three beat weave, but where you would normally pass the left hand over to the right side of your body, pass it between wour arms instead... the right hand gets pulled between your arms when it would normally cross to the right side, then you end with a normal 3 beat on you right side. Do the same going back the other way. It looks like a weave with a buzzsaw in the middle, except your arms are crossed for the buzzsaw...
If you do it cleanly, the poi almost wrap onto the opposite wrist, and it looks like you carry them through the middle ballanced on hand your holding the string with.
Each poi does 2 beats on the cross side, one between your arms, one on the natural side, then one between your arms again.

Really hard to do with chains, quite hard with string, but easy with dog balls in socks...

Ben

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I dunno about the last post....I'm not too interested in playing with dog balls!

(I'm much more of a cat person..)

But back to the topic...

I managed on sunday to do a front waistwrap, then into the classic waistwrap. I don't know what it looked like but I was pleased to have managed it.

Raphael

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Isn't it strange how lots of moves all seem to come at once? Today I've managed to get my 7 beat weaves smooth (arm positions still look ugly, but the timing of the swinging is good), finally sorted out how to swing the poi next to each other properly (which leads to lots of interesting things like easy double neck wraps and the funky btl turn thing Skunk did in CoL3 with the poi entering from behind), just about got the hang of isolations (actually a lot easier with long poi), and (nearly - can do it one way, but not the other) tenticle's move posted just above (I find it needs a beat of isolation in the middle to prevent the chains from wrapping).

Also picked up my doubles for the first time in a few weeks, and got a couple of new moves sorted for those Only quite simple stuff, like crossovers (contra-rotating and same direction) alternating the top arm, but good to learn something new all the same.

Just a shame things aren't the same for my single staff. Still getting frustrated by about 4 or 5 moves that refuse to work consistantly.

I'm now covered in soot marks

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
everyone here must be well lazy - no-one has learnt anything new since december?!!??

well anyhoo, i can finally do the rev 5bt weave i learnt forwards 5bt around july 02 and its taken this long for reverse to fall into place reverse hyps are starting to work as a result

moohaahaa's lovely downwards corkscrew inside hyperloop is sorted now and the mineiro inspired upwards version coming together.

isolations still messy but i've only ever seen two people do decent multiple beats of this so i'm happy with the progress.

and my new favourite moves some kind of butterfly waistwraps with a double speed 2:1 circles leading into the btb bit. no more description than that i'm afraid video is the way of the future!

[ 24. February 2003, 22:51: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I forgot this thread existed. Between December and now I've learned
fwd + rev 5 beat weave
fwd 7 beat weave
fwd + rev btb 3 beat weave + turns
both direction 3 and 4 beat corkscrews and windmills
somewhat decent weave hyperloops
a variety of isolations (no buzzsaw, still all same time)
fwd btb waistwraps, both sides
random other fun wraps/combo stuff

Oh yeah, you know how some people do colorchanging glowsticks by wrapping and letting go? I found out that you can do it from a hyperloop too.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Errm, let me think.

TTN weaves
Reverse 5-beat and turning
BTN stuff and turning using BTN
Waist wraps
Parallel weaves

And other assorted odds and sods as well as generally working on my fluidity

"Moo," said the happy cow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
{Reads above posts}

Note to self:

I suck.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have just learnt how to transition between one-handed 3 beat weaves to one handed butterfly using a leg wrap.

I love being able to do this move 'cause it means if I screw up one handed move I can go back to what I was doing without having to stop and start again!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Dissolved Girlmember
70 posts

Posted:
ok... i play with poi since september 2001, but i discovered HOP just 3 months ago.. in these 3 months i learned

thread the needle and reverse thread the needle
forward and reverse btb weave
some wraps
some waistwraps
under the leg moves
butterfly weave

and maybe something that i dont remember right now. so........ thank you so much to all the people out there for the help you gave me with these threads.

and thanks to pk, mineiro, santana, dio and to all the people who share their videos and knowledge.

one.day.I.am.going.to.grow.wings.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:

Note to self:

I suck.

You're still one of my faves.Besides I think some people are fibbing.

I am finally getting close to being able to do a forward btb weave.I can only do a couple beats but hey ... it's progress.My reverse btb weave is getting very smooth these days and I can transition in and out of it with relative ease.One day I'm gonna have to venture to the land of poi-masters and have them show me how a 5 beat btb weave is accomplished.

I got 5 beats of an isolated buzzsaw yesterday. I was totally stoked about that.

4 beat TTN forward and reverse
3 beat butterfly weave and turning

And since I met Skunk in NY at the PiP I have a couple of throws to add to my inventory of moves as well.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Finally got the btb backwards ttn! Now just got to learn the basic btb forward butterfly. Why can I not get this?????

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I just learned:

lots

But I have no Idea what any of it is cos I copied most of it from that PK fella......

......hope he doesn't mind I'm a super happy fluffy napalm fairy now

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
super-spinny weekend with the aid of spoooooooores and the spinniest party of them all (cartoon asylum) led me to happy poi madness - @ the party i got buzzsaw fountains and regular buzzasw iso's (fwd and bkd) with horizontal stops into buzzsawed butterfly iso's.

at the end of the afterparty (heavily into a session of using my body as a dump site for unwanted substances and just before i left for home) moohaahaa and i started playing proper and found weaves with each of the poi heads doing a vertical stall on one side. isolated ttn (maybe 4bt but i can't work out how to count this stuff) and many more random isolations in normal moves.

it all feels really natural but is some of the most confusing stuff i've watched - baffling with globalls and completely mesmerising with uv socks.

can anyone tell i'm excited by this...?

hands in cirlces

[ 04. March 2003, 02:15: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I can finally do a btb forward weave !!!
Non-Https Image Link

I can't turn with it yet and it's kinda sloppy but I can do it !!!

Also 5 beat butterfly weaves
turning btb butterflies
A couple of those between the legs spin moves
And a whole bunch of throws

Since it has started getting warmer it seems as I have gotten my learning curve back.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yesterday, Simian demonstrated his fantastic new move which he calls the Poindexter.

Basically, it's any move you can think of but with your wrist against the top of your head
It's possibly the stupidest move I've ever seen, maybe with the exception of Jez's no handed butterfly.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
BTB TTN..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
<< ros thats for you.

i can do robs routines now

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
5 beat reverse weave and reverse butterfly through the legs. now to actually do that forward roll...
<--- sigh. he makes it look so easy.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
did you ever learn a trick that youve dreamed of doing for 5 years?

Runs around the whole of HOP shouting:

WHOOO, WHOOO, I AM THE SHITS

Mikes Mess
Mikes fucking Mess (thats cross follow on the bottom while juggling 3 clubs on doubles at the top)

'Tain't solid, but i qualified it in the sunshine on clapham common, and thats good enough for me .

what shall I work on next?

Glass

[ 15. March 2003, 04:18: Message edited by: glass ]

Page: ......