• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...96979899100...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Mr_Joe
BRONZE Member since Aug 2008

Mr_Joe

Part-time genius

Total posts: 59
Posted:It's a good coupla days for me! Antispin 4-petal flowers poi forwards arms back smile

Delete

Centrificist

Centrificist

Total posts: 4
Posted:Just learned 4 beat hyperloops from fwd and bkwd 3 beat weave! I love how it goes into the buzzsaw inbetween may arms, great flowly feeling biggrin And am on the verge of getting the meltdown! Its soooooo close!

Delete

Meeshka
BRONZE Member since Dec 2007

Total posts: 13
Posted:Figured out orbitals.

Delete

Mr_Joe
BRONZE Member since Aug 2008

Mr_Joe

Part-time genius

Total posts: 59
Posted:Wahey, btb the waistwrap finally biggrin

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:I haven't done more than briefly touched poi in ages, however... a posting on behalf of my 11yo, lachie...

he's now got an increasingly smooth forwards 3-beat weave... I'm getting him to play around with increasing/decreasing the speed, so he can maintain control... have also shown him how (and he can do it) to do the 3-bt with mostly wrist, minimal arm movement.

he's also figured out inwards spinning butterfly by himself. biggrin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:kk... I made lachie a pair of practice poi last night, out of a pair of tights, a pair of socks and some rice... so now he can practise as much as (and wherever/whenever) he likes.

he's now working on reverse 3-bt; trying to move into it from forwards by turning around 180deg. is getting there... smile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:BTB weave is in the beginnners section of HOP lessons.
Lordy

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

The_Black_Crescent_Moon

Total posts: 3
Posted:Hey everybody,
just wanted to say that I am very grateful for this page and especially the library with the beginners moves because here (Phi Phi Island, Thailand), I haven't found a teacher so before I found this site I had to learn tricks by myself without any supervision or tips... which was really demotivating...

Since I look up tricks on HOP, I have learned:
Split time, Butterfly, Giant Butterfly, Butterfly behind the back, One handed Butterfly (left hand), Cork Screw, Chasing the Sun and Buzzsaw

Right now I am trying to learn the 3 beat Weaver but its kind of tricky... but I am not giving up weavesmiley

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Got the 1.5, just playing with it now. And the idea behind it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Got the btb 3bt. Just clicked yesterday. biggrin

Also, not-1.5s are smoother (these are just fun wink)

Airwraps are getting smoother and am just playing around now.

Sort of got a butterfly weave thing too.

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Parallel extension routine

Context: high longarm, low circle

Mode: parallel, backward, wheel

smile,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

The_Black_Crescent_Moon

Posted:Congrats Aston, that sounds cool...

During the last two days I learned:
High Turn, Low Turn and the forward 3 Beat Weave :-) It's real fun to do...

Art as art, not art for art,
must be life enhancing.
- Bernard Berenson

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:as I don't really do poi I have no idea what this is called, I learnt a couple of variants too
butterfly buzzsaw fountain and turning butterfly buzzsaw foountain, a bit scary doing butterfly over your own head ubblol and some half antispin butterfly stuff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

AuroraJones

Total posts: 16
Posted: Written by :Sambo_Flux

Turn to turn from a forwards weave into a backwards one, and back a gain, both directions. Then learn Fountains. smile

okay, so got going back and forth between reverse and forward weave, and then I stopped spinning for a long time. Like it's been months.
fountains huh... mmmkay

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:I lost the transition b/n my weaves too, stupid insane winters

But I did learn to do numchuck type series. Spinning back...kinda throw it forward and do elbow wrap and then the other way into wrapping around my forearms into butterfly. so now must learn it the other way. And opposite and other way opposite

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Mucky
SILVER Member since Apr 2008

Mucky

Rum-Swilling Combustioneer

Total posts: 227
Posted:Yes! I just got the 5-beat BTB this morning! It could use some polishing, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the behind the back moves so far. It may be because I made sock poi last night (I've been using tennis balls on strings with loops or stick handles), which are a lot easier to work with; my planes are much, much better looking with the socks. Good times.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

poinoob
SILVER Member since Oct 2007

Total posts: 45
Posted:i just learned a bunch of butterfly weave varients, about got isolated buzzsaws can't keep em going tho

Delete

Mucky

Mucky

Posted: Written by :poinoob

about got isolated buzzsaws can't keep em going tho

That's exactly the point I'm at right now; I can get it, but my right hand (the off hand) always loses it... The other day I had tied a knot right in the middle of the string; being able to visualize it seemed to make it easier to sustain an isolation, so I think I'm going to try that again.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

simta
BRONZE Member since Apr 2006

simta

compfuzzled

Total posts: 1182
Posted:constant smooth clean isolations are very very difficult

isolations are different to other familys of moves. a lot of things once you understand them and practise them a bit, they are nailed.

but i've found isolations require constant work to keep them tight.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:I forgot about the butterfly weave. cool

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

VelvetBat

VelvetBat

Total posts: 8
Posted:Saturday was the first day I practiced some moves and I learned some turns and the cork screw.

Today I learned the low wave and the 3 beat weave! biggrin

Delete

FireElement
BRONZE Member since Apr 2008

Total posts: 4
Posted:Today I have cleaned up my btb rev weave and learned the butterfly weave fountain, buzzsaw fountain and some normal fountains variations. I heart fountains.

Delete

Fencai

Posted:went to a festival this past week, and brought my poi cause I KNEW there had to be other spinners there, and boy was I right!
I learned the 3b weave, and picked up how to do a butterfly behind the head! WOOT!

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:Always have poi

I have some in purse right now

Faith

Delete

gubster
SILVER Member since Mar 2008

stranger

Total posts: 10
Posted:yeepeeeeeeee, i have offically learnt my first move smile the butterfly , took me ages but once i got it right i cant do it wrong, its like a connection is made in the brain , and now its impossible to do it wrong ....delighted smile biggrin

Delete

Mucky

Mucky

Posted: Written by :gubster

yeepeeeeeeee, i have offically learnt my first move smile the butterfly , took me ages but once i got it right i cant do it wrong, its like a connection is made in the brain , and now its impossible to do it wrong ....delighted smile biggrin

Haha, you'll get very accustomed to that feeling! Learning a new poi move is 99% "That's friggin' impossible!" and 1% "Oh... now I see..."

biggrin

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

Sarah_P
BRONZE Member since May 2008

Total posts: 78
Posted:I've been doing poi for all of about two days now (my current poi are socks although I have a set of kevlar poi coming), so I'm tickled pink with myself that I figured out the reverse 3 beat weave in a few hours! Basically for me it came down to doing about three or four spins of the forward 3-beat, then stopping and going over my pattern and letting my body just follow through with the pattern it already knows (albeit in the backwards direction). Now I'm working on getting into the pattern directly.

Next will probably be trying to figure out how to turn my body while spinning poi (hell of a lot harder than it looks!). For now, though, I'm pleased with myself. biggrin

ETA: Woohoo!!! Now I know the 5-bt and reverse!! (not BTB tho, that's for later. Seriously.)

EDITED_BY: Sarah_P (1210866951)

Delete

philisweatly
SILVER Member since Feb 2008

philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it

Total posts: 115
Posted:hey all. been spinning for almost a month. and with the little freetime I have I recently got behind the back 3 and 5 beat, reel turns and isolations. along with all the other beginner moves. now it's getting to getting everything smooth and liquid together.

haha

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Nice going. smile

Delete

gubster
SILVER Member since Mar 2008

stranger

Total posts: 10
Posted:Right so i finally started learning some moves, i learnt how to do the butterfly, overhead butterfly and things like that, i can do thise okay, and today i finally got the 3bw, ( but its messy) any suggestions on whats easy to learn next? its very addatcive so it is smile

Delete

Page: 1...96979899100...117