Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
cole, sorry, just to errmm....

shoulder snakes!!!!!!!!!!

how?

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yo tom

i do them exactly the same way as with clubs.
the poi doesn't sit on you arm like a club does but i've found recently that doing snakes at a decent speed, there's very little arm contact with clubs either.

first i learnt to spin outward shoulder snakes as part of (outward) reels (all learnt with clubs).
then i tried it with a poi.

they don't look as crazy with poi as you can just keep them going - essentially they're just one circle of isolation behind the arm followed by a circle of isolation in front of the arm, all out to your side (in the wall plane) starting at shoulder height.

there's lots there that isn't there with clubs (see variation above) but its early days yet -
so far i can only properly spin outward ones and only with my right arm.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Isolated weave..both variants side to side,
(4,5 beat) infront,turn...

POI THEO(R)IST

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
RIIIIIGHT... where are thoease socks.......

T

-><- Kallisti

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
I rawk!!

Okay well that's a bit extreme but just searched for fountains and found out that I've been doing them and many variations for 6 months!! Yippeeee!!!!

If only I can get forward hyperloops, reverse 5 beat weave and 7 beat forward weave I'll be a happy chick...

*tweet*

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
wow. Nirvana is cheap nowdays.

If only I could find happiness so easily.
Nice one

oops off topic.
erm ok I've been working on inverted pendulums

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
3 beat weave! In an odd way... instead of your poi doing one beat on the same side, two on the crossed over side, they do two on the same side and one on the crossed over side. And you can lead with either hand...

--ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Interesting idea... I'll have to try that out at some point.

Just got reverse isolated weaves

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Just got the "Phoenix wing" a.k.a...
btb alt arm butterfly elbow wraps, thank u glowstring boyz.

[edit]
Oh and double neck wraps, again glowstring boyz.

[ 12. June 2003, 23:04: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Figured out the snakes with poi, just got to be able to do them now......

T

-><- Kallisti

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
More btl moves Finally worked out how to turn pretty much every way with either poi entering from front or back, btl weave turns both ways in front and btb. Btl butterfly turn consistancy is still eluding me, and some of the planes are a bit sloppy after a few continuous turns, but I've got to have something to work on

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
As ive only been doing poi for about 3 weeks (on and off) i cant do too much. But yesterday i got the windmill and the one-handed butterfly!! Was sooo happy! Just need to practice them now

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
My shoulders hurt.

I have sunburn.

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
btl?? behind the leg or something???

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
between the legs

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
awww thanks..must goo out pratice btl now cant stop selfe meep meep wrooom

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
BTB butterfly happy me!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Wooohoo!!
Finally dropped a few beats of overhanded ('forward') BTB weave! After practicing small variations to get the motions down one at a time, I still couldn't even get a 2-beat. I thought with all the tangling, I might get BTB airwraps before the forward weave...
Anyways, the "ahah!" moment came when I dropped my chains from full length to about 3 inches.
I don't know why I didn't try that before, but it just snapped into a nice 3-beat BTB forward weave without much effort. I'm going back out now to practice turning! cheers!
-- Happy, Happy Dut

manu t.i.h.t.member
16 posts

Posted:
yepla,

been doing poi since a couple of months, but
havn't got the time to check the whole thread, but does anyone know if this one has a name yet(haven't seen it on vids yet) it's a very simple one too (almost to easy)

swing reverse, put your right leg up, swing with your right hand poi under your leg, with strings doing like the first quarter of a wrap, then let go handles, the poi ball swings to the upper side of the leg, and shoots off, put leg down and you can take the fingerloops in one single smooth motion, and continue the reverse swing,

the effect with beaming poi: large circels, with really small circle inside it, and it's possible to do it at very high speed

cheers

-Pinky do you ponder what I ponder???-Yes Brain, if you start my name with an O it is spelled Oinky

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
finally got the move i thought impossible for a long time, forwards and backwards 5beat BTB weave. both in 1 day, the gods are smiling on me

now just to perfect the isolated buzzsaw...

Ninjas NEVER give up!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Learnt a lot today. Finally took the time to learn the 3 beat corkscrew. Never really wanted to learn it as I dont do much horizontal stuff. Ive also been learning a lot of butterfly stuff. Learned the butterfly weave and am perfecting it, as well as in split time and turning it. Working on some butterfly combos in split and together and how to turn them. Today was a big step in progress for me. These moves may not seem like much, but it will impact my style a lot.

Next on the list: Perfect BTB weaves/turning, learn more isolations and seperations.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Straight-arm butterfly turns, which look wicked and fit in nicely with everything else I do.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I think I'm the least experinced person here. I've been doing poi for about a week (longer if you count the time I only had one glow stick that I used to learn the basic swinging movements) maybe a little more.
It seems I'm finally getting the hang of the Alternate Butterfly and the low turn.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave! yay! and a cool looking butterfly combination.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i still love this thread its like a communal diary of accomplishments.

to everyone here.

my new stuff includes:

with balls - 441 mills, the box (at last!) and a poor version of mike's mess.

with clubs - chops, chops with doubles out, 423 (i know its easy but it helps), singles and doubles over the top and a solid doubles cascade.

with stick(s) - the basic 2bt bf and parallel stuff and with one stick i can now do that contact move what is tricep, wrist, wrist, tricep that was on glass' video ages ago and that everyone can do now

with poi - hurty wrist, semi-consistent ww airwraps.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hey! Hey! he posted stuff about sticks and this thread is in POI moves.

i'm telling on you! Charles! Pele! Cole's being naughty!

alternatively i'll just tell you what i learnt with my sticks yesterday:

i learnt an outside throw to catch in the same hand while doing figure eight in the other, which allows me to switch really cleanly and neatly from split to follow time - something that i've previously had no way to do with doubles

and how to do a single beat butterfly on one side of my body with sticks. This looks really odd and ugly, and is one of those moves that looks intrinsically wobbly. Yay for post-aesthetic stick!

And with one stick i learnt:
*Back of hand* to *palm of hand* to *Tricep* to *back of hand* again.
which was nice

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flash fire:
Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
woo!

i generally didn't post here before, cos i thought it was poi only, and i don't do poi.

Now i'm sooo coming back here with every tedious stick twiddling variation i come up with

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
just been pissing about in my living room and discovered a really sweet new hyperloop whilst turning 360 through 5 beat weave.

Then i decided to be more daring and try even harder hyperloops, and smacked myself square in the mouth

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I finally managed the one-handed butterfly.

Hey, it's nothing too impressive, but *I'm* proud.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Page: ......