Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
reverse btb weave and turns ^_^

btb is so incredably rewarding, i love it!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

star childBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
sorry to but in guys but if u want a simple way to learn the 5 beat 4wards do wot i did and watch the the poi lessons video clip for the 5 beat until u cant 4get the hand movements then go out and try it worked 4 me.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
so happy, just got the btb weave turns too, sparky you are too right.

also got a btb butterly -> out -> spin 180 -> butterfly

yay

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
btb windmill, full turns on each side.

Oh, and some weird thing where the poi just dangles down as it's lifted over my shoulder. With contact for 'sensual' poi...

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

A hyperloop if you're turning. If you're doing it in front of you there's no need to turn, get keep your hands still once they've tangled and they should pop undone on their own - that's an airwrap.

i cant do airwraps, they just wont work. the poi just tangle up. ill ahve to look at more vids of one ... anyone got a good one that shows the process of doing an airwrap?

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
air wraps, sort of. i've done it, and i can do it again, but not reliably at all tongue that's okay, i'll just keep working at 'em, i finally understand what the heck they are

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I'm happy I just learned the normal "hyperloop buzzsaw" (tangler in yo-yo terms) with two dead yo-yos. I had trouble learning it with my sock poi, but I suppose that's because they are normal socks that have some thickness to them. Using string seemed easier since you could get 4 or 5 complete revolutions just from having your hands pefectly still (the socks would die out way quicker because of how the trick twists things up).

But now I finally figured out how to keep the thing going using hand motions (left hand keeps the left poi going, right keeps the right one going), so that is really fun. I've kept it going maybe 10-15 revolutions now before exiting.

And that illustration I posted earlier is what I learned the basic air wrap from. Keep in mind that they should both be slightly off angle from the wall plane and that they should start to wrap above your hands. Then when gravity pulls it downward, it'll start to unwrap when it is below your hands (that change of axis is what makes the trick work).

Now I gotta try doing hyperloop buzzsaw in the other direction (forward) and the harder variations. Fun stuff!

Shawn

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
HIya all, this is the first time I've posted on the poi section of HOP, I have been a staff / dual staff / fans twirler for ages and only dared to pick up poi in January! anyways, I've spent a heap of time practicing these last few weeks...and yay, I'm a poi addict too now biggrin
Latest learnings: have figured out the 7 beat weave, its a little uneven, so need to practice it more, but I don't tangle like I did to begin with... ooh, and now am trying to learn the standard weave btb. Weeeeeee! ubbrollsmile

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
A propeller round the neck and then down the arm. One time in ten ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Orbital thingie smile

POI THEO(R)IST

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
split-direction weave!!!! yay!!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

mclaudioSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Man is this thread ever long...

Well my first HOP post, and my new move is...*drumroll*

The Behind The Back 5 Beat Forward Weave. *ta-da*

I've been working on cleaning up my BTB5BtRevWeave, and today I cracked the Forward, and it's clean enough I'm turning between the two. So thought I'd post...

~M

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Nice and simple post. Just did my first ever butterfly arm wraps with fire and got my first ever burn marks! After about 6 months of fire, it's about time.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aight, been practicing:
flynts solar flare (sp?) (chasing the sun to right (inner thigh) leg wrap, right hand poi wrap off wrist, into flutterby)

corkscrew bum spin, to rolling round on the ground, and out, unburnt

also, slow swinging, just goin in a U with each poi (kind of a slow starting thing) kick right hand chain with foot (kinda rope darty) go into something fast, looks cool

finally, btb3beat weave spins

workin on btb5beat frown

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC! NYC!!!!! I nailed the 4-beat TTN! HAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Erm... TTN?
Help me out here man! WT* is TTN?

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
thread the needle. I can't believe I know something useful! ubbidea

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
A nice stall/throw combo from a butterfly.

A couple of other stalls and linky togethery moves.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
it's not really new...

i'm starting to focus on kicks and slaps (i think sum1 reffered to it as bodypopping - correct me if i'm wrong - okay i'm wrong!)

i've got dead stalls and wraps tapped nicely... but have never really worked with kicks, slaps and bounces.

It's quite a bit of fun!

*shrugg*
EDITED_BY: Shu (1115622187)

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

CeCeMonetmember
25 posts

Posted:
I have learned the "Vampire Kiss" and I learned the reverse thread the needle from the COL 5 DVD those are my two recent "new" moves

Her Ladyship Hot Shot

creanewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm a n00b so bear with me....I managed the 3b weawe bw for the first time yesterday and also linking it together with the 3b weawe *happy* but only in one if I go right. If I try going left I get tangled - can't seem to get my arms cooperate. But hey who's complaining...??..new move and new link all in one sunny day bounce

[insert cool signature here]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
had a wicked play with the princesses yesterday bounce2

i learnt:

antispin weave (fwd poi rev hands)

thank-you monkey, it finally sunk in - took a while but you was right, i like it lots biggrin

also learnt some longarm stuff that i never bothered to before (longarm follow-time turns, longarm bf with turns).

and i'm relearning wallplane 2bt weaves cos i'm rubbish at them.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"antispin weave (fwd poi rev hands)

thank-you monkey, it finally sunk in - took a while but you was right, i like it lots"

bounce2

We tried learning that at Falmouth originally didnt we? biggrin

I have started to like anti spin too. Video to follow sometime smile

simain still needs to teach me that anti spin weave thing....
or anyone else for that matter....
I have no poi at the moment frown
Soon I shall have 2 new pairs biggrin

Das NoleyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
recently learned how to tuck a weave under my shoulder, and a 4 beat windmill, and 4 beat corkscrew.

Oh, well if he was sleeping, than i would think he was me, because he is blue, and I like to sleep. but if he is dead, then it can't be me, because that would just be silly.
-- Caboose [Red vs Blue]

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I finally got the backwards weave yesterday, which enabled me to learn weave turns and the fountain! Also learnt the 4bt chase the other day. Now I'm working on it backwards, squee!

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
Sorry for being hyperactive, I've had no sleep and too much caffeine...

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
So last night I did btb waist wraps on fire for the first time!

bounce

scary - but good!! and only a few burns on my troosers rolleyes

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
since a couple of weeks I can do the one (right) handed butterfly

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive been playing around with swoping my poi between my hands during butterfly tangles which is a bit like magic, ive also got one 360 turn nearly working while doing butterfly tangles.

also learnt to go into the 'barrel roll' bit of a buzzsaw weave forewards from the right side, and then come out the same side and get into a backwards barrel roll bit.... confused that make sense, also 360 spins while in the barrel roll. and stops/wraps.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i have had a problem with a reverse 6beat weave...

last night i just started doing it! YAY

i'm also trying to do an inverted weave wich uses the wheel plane as it's base! The 3D pattern (in theory) looks kinda like a double helix!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Page: ......