Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...99100101102103...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Conner8008
Conner8008

The Oregon HOP Head Spinner
Total posts: 6
Posted:i need help with threding the neildel

Conner Hearty
AkA Dj Dark Acid

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:here you go - > Thread the needle

TTN at the glance,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

velvettears
stranger

Total posts: 12
Posted:I learned the butterfly today smile I'm going to be working on the three beat weave.

Delete

Such
Such

Rancor
Total posts: 253
Posted:Originally Posted By: velvettearsI learned the butterfly today smile I'm going to be working on the three beat weave.

Congrats, if you're moving on to the three beat I suggest you get the two beat down on both sides, it will make the three beat much easier; unless you know the two beat then never mind o.O

Human

Delete

velvettears
stranger

Posted:No, I don't know the two beat, but I have taken a look/tried it, it seems to just be a matter of timing. My left side is a bit slow, so I have to compensate and concentrate on it, but it's coming along smile

Delete

Xhelenat
Xhelenat

xHelenax

Total posts: 8
Posted:I learned the 3beat weave and alsost did a 5 beat weave. Also thought of a cool combination for a dance.

I am somewhat new to Poi but I love it!

Delete

velvettears
stranger

Posted:i've started dancing around with my poi a bit more, and I've stumbled on a move and I have no idea what it's called, so I need your help guys.

It's a figure 8 formation, I typically start with both poi on my left side, swing up to my right, down then back to the left. On about the second to third rotation I separate the poi and they do this individually (the 8s). I love the move, just want to know the name lol

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Total posts: 2418
Posted:No name for it really, its just figure 8s with the poi in even time which you then seperate out into a 2 beat weave(a split time movement)...

That is if I'm understanding you correctly, of course. smile

hug

Delete

velvettears
stranger

Posted:That does sound right. cool that i learned it on my own though. I was watching videos and couldn't get it lol

Delete

Spinout0517
stranger

Total posts: 6
Posted:I did My very first multiple spinner big burn the other night in which i learned triquenetas (probably misspelled)inward and outward box stalls inner line stalls and the 5 beat weave and windmill. any advice on strightjackets or the 4X4 fountain?
and if your interested in the vid heres the copy from my cam im in the front right

WOOPWOOP!

Delete

Troika
Troika

The official unofficial purveyor of cake
Total posts: 26
Posted:I just got the three beat weave yesterday and working on the 5 beat weave! Can't keep the butterfly going for more than like 5- 7 beats, my left hand keeps getting out of the plane or something. any tips??

Delete

V_Regal
Lost in the Lights
Total posts: 101
Posted:Remember that the trails cross at two points.
Split time or pray is my advice. And put them on slightly different angles?

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Delete

Mannimal
Mannimal

The Mannimal
Total posts: 13
Posted:One week into spinning and doing so daily. Here's what I've learned:
Week One:
Butterfly, with some btb and over the head variation
Over the toe, Behind the back turns, as well as the behind the back, forward to back turn
Two and Three Beat Weaves
Half Time Opposite Spins
180 and 360 Turns while doing three beat weaves
5 beat weaves (FINALLY got it Saturday, first night with a set of glowsticks)

Plans for Week two:
Stalls
BTB weaves
Changing planes

Delete

Mannimal
Mannimal

The Mannimal
Posted:wow... so I found opposite stalls are hella crazy hard to wrap my brain around. Any suggestions to mentally preparing my brain to do it?

Also, I'm trying to do btb weave with a backward spin, is that the way that most people get it? any tips?

EDITED_BY: Mannimal (1239123082)

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:On btb. Yeah, most people find rev easier... but I'm probably not the best person to ask because an old injury prevents me from doing fwd properly.

Put your weak hand on the top (so doing the stalls coming down) and your strong hand on the bottom (Doing stalls coming up) and just try keep it going.

Also, can you do opposites with both stalls going up? Meaning they are on opposite sides of your body?

(I assumed you meant the ones that are up and down on one side of your body)

Get comfortable with the prospin, opposites wall plane flower and that should help greatly.

hug

Delete

philisweatly
philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it
Total posts: 115
Posted:finally got the variation on split time butterfly when you kinda do antispin flowers and the poi end meet in the middle and swoosh to the other side. sweeeeet.

oh and I can airwrap in a bunch of new places and directions. smile

EDITED_BY: philisweatly (1239565002)

haha

Delete

Derwyn
Derwyn

Lightworker
Total posts: 88
Posted:Got btb 3beat! YAY!!!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Well done!

Finally managed to get a couple more crosser variations and entries.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

moorebr
stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:Same-direction, same-time, anti-spin, hip-to-shoulder(or vive versa) reels. Uggh, lots of words for a simple looking move, but it feels wonky to do. Elegence will come in time I suppose. It has four anti-spin points/petals. One at 12, 3, 6, and 9 on a clockface.

Delete

Mannimal
Mannimal

The Mannimal
Posted:okay, so here I am week 4 and I really have no way of keeping normal time butterfly's working for any period of time.

And when I mess up, more than likely it means a kick in the gonadular region.

It has gotten a little ridiculous. Last night I pretty much picked up windmills and fountains and I can't even thread the needle.

perhaps its the promise of nether region pain that keeps me away.

gotta get it started.

-M

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Week 4 and you can not thread the needle? It took me months to learn that one. tongue2

To be honest, I tried a few times, found it was not working and left it alone. A while later it clicked for me.

Same story with crossers actually....

There were some hints given for butterflies somewhere. I do not recall where now....

Delete

Mannimal
Mannimal

The Mannimal
Posted:Getting closer and closer. Still working on it.

Later on, I watched this video:

This Brit's tutorial made me think of the butterfly and TTN in a totally different way. All of a sudden: clarity.

After weeks of frustration of keeping a butterfly going, I started to get a feeling that I was over complicating the concept and I needed to see this basic move implemented along with a variant to make it more complex. As it worked out, when I saw this vid, boom! I got the basic concept and then was about to not only do the butterfly, but also TTN right afterward.

Now that I think about this: I learned 3 beat weave in the same manner, I saw the 5 beat weave, and tried to duplicate it, and there I was.

-M

EDITED_BY: Mannimal (1241676546)

Delete

philisweatly
philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it
Total posts: 115
Posted:hooray! Finally got the behind the back forwards weave. For some reason it just clicked today. Now I need to be able to turn with behind the back weaves. Slowly but surely.

haha

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:Nice one, philisweatly! I can't do btb forwards properly due to a shoulder injury. frown

hug

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:I still struggle to turn smoothly with btb weaves, but then I have not really tried much....

Delete

feelscape
feelscape

stranger
Posted:i learned an airwrap and a hyperloop last week.

Delete

Reaver
stranger
Total posts: 1
Posted:ade, try "fanblading" with five in reverse and three forward, and gradually attemt to add the five beat into it, it will "feel" right, effortless, when your hands make the right movement. also, check out playpoi.com, nick woolsey has a perfect tutorial video on the five beat for your situation.
-Reaver

Delete

fireflyfaerie
journeyman

Total posts: 73
Posted:Just learnt 5 beat weave ! ((at last!!! ive been trying for long enough!!)) just need to get it looking a bit smoother before letting rip with the fire poi...

Delete

MelissaRhae
MelissaRhae

I have dibbs on Zack Attack
Total posts: 11
Posted:wow i feel kinda lame just learning forward two beat weave haa haa. I just need to practice more then I will be as cool as you all are one day smile

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

Delete

Laura_OHare

Total posts: 26
Posted:Originally Posted By: MelissaRhaewow i feel kinda lame just learning forward two beat weave haa haa. I just need to practice more then I will be as cool as you all are one day smile

I've only just learnt it too. I've been trying to do the forward 3 beat weave recently and it is getting closer but I still don't think i'm doing it right.

All I can currently do is;
Corkscrew
Basic turn forward and back
Butterfly and overhead butterfly
Turn forward and back in split time
2 Beat Weave

And am working on 3 Beat Weave
I guess it's not *too* bad for 3 weeks in. Just have to keep at it and try to get more practise in every day!

Delete

Page: 1...99100101102103...117