• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...5455565758...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

infinite

infinite

Total posts: 110
Posted:I figured out how to tangle on the right outside my arms then bring the tangle into buzzsaw and then throw the poi outside my arms on the left and it always comes seamlessly undone. I can do just a buzzsaw tangle, however this version <always> comes undone. And I figured out hyperloop butterflys, the trick is to go forwards butterfly and buzzsaw them for half a beat till the strings tangle then stand behind it again, they untangle everytime. I linked both of these tangles togeather with a bounce wrap on one arm yesterday.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Delete

.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

.:star:.

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:wooo hoooo i just managed to do hyperloops...yeay!!

its taken me longer to get than any other move and i managed rip my nosestud out in the process!

yippeeeeeeeeeee

Delete

_khan_
SILVER Member since Nov 2004

_khan_

old hand

Total posts: 768
Posted:i just got hyperloops too!! but i can only do them with socks at the moment, that still counts though, doesn't it?

also have unlocked the uh 5bt weave, clockwise 4 bt corkscrew (so much harder than counterclockwise for me for some reason), and "the matrix move," for which i clearly have to build up lower back and abdominal strength to do repeatedly. can only do that one counterclockwise so far. also, antispin flowers. ubblove

been a productive month.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Total posts: 1376
Posted:Got my first clean whip catch last night, I've got the idea now at the least.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Dixie
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

Dixie

old hand

Total posts: 740
Posted:Sorry to but in-- Please recommend a forum where I can find out what the devil half of this stuff is???

Antispin--flowers--matrixmove--wibbles--?? *so confused*

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:erm......I think you're already in it wink

or

you could wander over to Spitlefields Market on a Tuesday night smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:ubblol

Unfortunately the Spherculism encyclopoidia is down at the moment, but when it's back up it's got definitions for all this stuff... smile

Delete

Dixie

Dixie

old hand

Posted:Spitlefields Market? Is that up north like Shropshire??
*Not looked at a map yet*

I just learned to take my 3btweave under my right leg , round the back, and back from under my left leg... I have to make a mighty hop/leap halfway through though, think I need to shorten my strings for that one! smile

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Delete

Mr_Chutney
SILVER Member since Apr 2003

Mr_Chutney

Tosser

Total posts: 1711
Posted:Spitz is in London-

Check the thread HERE
and get yourself down there biggrin

Delete

JauntyJames
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3533
Posted:reverse btb weave and turns ^_^

btb is so incredably rewarding, i love it!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

star child
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

Total posts: 2
Posted:sorry to but in guys but if u want a simple way to learn the 5 beat 4wards do wot i did and watch the the poi lessons video clip for the 5 beat until u cant 4get the hand movements then go out and try it worked 4 me.

Delete

pineapple pete
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

pineapple pete

water based

Total posts: 5125
Posted:so happy, just got the btb weave turns too, sparky you are too right.

also got a btb butterly -> out -> spin 180 -> butterfly

yay

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

hexagonic

hexagonic

Clubbles Jugs

Total posts: 1687
Posted:btb windmill, full turns on each side.

Oh, and some weird thing where the poi just dangles down as it's lifted over my shoulder. With contact for 'sensual' poi...

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Delete

bing!
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

bing!

i beat my inner child

Total posts: 184
Posted:Written by: spiralx

A hyperloop if you're turning. If you're doing it in front of you there's no need to turn, get keep your hands still once they've tangled and they should pop undone on their own - that's an airwrap.

i cant do airwraps, they just wont work. the poi just tangle up. ill ahve to look at more vids of one ... anyone got a good one that shows the process of doing an airwrap?

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

Delete

JauntyJames
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3533
Posted:air wraps, sort of. i've done it, and i can do it again, but not reliably at all tongue that's okay, i'll just keep working at 'em, i finally understand what the heck they are

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

ShawnF

Total posts: 162
Posted:I'm happy I just learned the normal "hyperloop buzzsaw" (tangler in yo-yo terms) with two dead yo-yos. I had trouble learning it with my sock poi, but I suppose that's because they are normal socks that have some thickness to them. Using string seemed easier since you could get 4 or 5 complete revolutions just from having your hands pefectly still (the socks would die out way quicker because of how the trick twists things up).

But now I finally figured out how to keep the thing going using hand motions (left hand keeps the left poi going, right keeps the right one going), so that is really fun. I've kept it going maybe 10-15 revolutions now before exiting.

And that illustration I posted earlier is what I learned the basic air wrap from. Keep in mind that they should both be slightly off angle from the wall plane and that they should start to wrap above your hands. Then when gravity pulls it downward, it'll start to unwrap when it is below your hands (that change of axis is what makes the trick work).

Now I gotta try doing hyperloop buzzsaw in the other direction (forward) and the harder variations. Fun stuff!

Shawn

Delete

Eveish
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

Eveish

*Tickles pretty strangers*

Total posts: 610
Posted:HIya all, this is the first time I've posted on the poi section of HOP, I have been a staff / dual staff / fans twirler for ages and only dared to pick up poi in January! anyways, I've spent a heap of time practicing these last few weeks...and yay, I'm a poi addict too now biggrin
Latest learnings: have figured out the 7 beat weave, its a little uneven, so need to practice it more, but I don't tangle like I did to begin with... ooh, and now am trying to learn the standard weave btb. Weeeeeee! ubbrollsmile

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:A propeller round the neck and then down the arm. One time in ten ubblol

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Orbital thingie smile

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

_khan_
SILVER Member since Nov 2004

_khan_

old hand

Total posts: 768
Posted:split-direction weave!!!! yay!!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Delete

mclaudio
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

mclaudio

Total posts: 1
Posted:Man is this thread ever long...

Well my first HOP post, and my new move is...*drumroll*

The Behind The Back 5 Beat Forward Weave. *ta-da*

I've been working on cleaning up my BTB5BtRevWeave, and today I cracked the Forward, and it's clean enough I'm turning between the two. So thought I'd post...

~M

Delete

JayKitty
GOLD Member since Nov 2004

JayKitty

Mission: Ignition

Total posts: 534
Posted:Nice and simple post. Just did my first ever butterfly arm wraps with fire and got my first ever burn marks! After about 6 months of fire, it's about time.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Delete

pineapple pete
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

pineapple pete

water based

Total posts: 5125
Posted:aight, been practicing:
flynts solar flare (sp?) (chasing the sun to right (inner thigh) leg wrap, right hand poi wrap off wrist, into flutterby)

corkscrew bum spin, to rolling round on the ground, and out, unburnt

also, slow swinging, just goin in a U with each poi (kind of a slow starting thing) kick right hand chain with foot (kinda rope darty) go into something fast, looks cool

finally, btb3beat weave spins

workin on btb5beat frown

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:NYC! NYC!!!!! I nailed the 4-beat TTN! HAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Dixie

Dixie

old hand

Posted:Erm... TTN?
Help me out here man! WT* is TTN?

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

Delete

munkypunks
GOLD Member since Jan 2005

munkypunks

enthusiast, but not enthusiastic

Total posts: 367
Posted:thread the needle. I can't believe I know something useful! ubbidea

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Delete

Bird
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Bird

now available in "advanced"

Total posts: 6086
Posted:A nice stall/throw combo from a butterfly.

A couple of other stalls and linky togethery moves.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

Shu
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Shu

Retro Fyre Wizzard

Total posts: 538
Posted:it's not really new...

i'm starting to focus on kicks and slaps (i think sum1 reffered to it as bodypopping - correct me if i'm wrong - okay i'm wrong!)

i've got dead stalls and wraps tapped nicely... but have never really worked with kicks, slaps and bounces.

It's quite a bit of fun!

*shrugg*

EDITED_BY: Shu (1115622187)

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Delete

CeCeMonet

Total posts: 25
Posted:I have learned the "Vampire Kiss" and I learned the reverse thread the needle from the COL 5 DVD those are my two recent "new" moves

Her Ladyship Hot Shot

Delete

crea

Total posts: 15
Posted:Ok, I'm a n00b so bear with me....I managed the 3b weawe bw for the first time yesterday and also linking it together with the 3b weawe *happy* but only in one if I go right. If I try going left I get tangled - can't seem to get my arms cooperate. But hey who's complaining...??..new move and new link all in one sunny day bounce

[insert cool signature here]

Delete

Page: 1...5455565758...117