• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...4950515253...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:same direction reels but never coming properly un thru wrapped round your shoulders

nearly air wraps with one poi doing a thru wrap with the other poi going into a thru wrap on exit

and lots of stuff with inverted bits.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Total posts: 1376
Posted:Oooh I like those ideas smile Really wish I had time at the moment to do some spinning, grrr...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:btb butterfly (or at least something very close to it! I'll keep practicing...) biggrin biggrin biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:totally random poi
smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:Written by: bluecat

totally random poi
smile

heisenbergs?

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:quantum poi! yes!
ubblol
show you saturday.
its inspired by the japanese guy off COL5, but a bit more random.

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:that guy rocks - crazy plane changes that really do work.

watch 'monkey efficiency' for heisenburg tutorials - it kicks arse biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

fraggle
SILVER Member since Apr 2004

fraggle

Total posts: 94
Posted:wp 3bt weave

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

Delete

mtbeer
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

mtbeer

ARRRR!

Total posts: 529
Posted:Written by: bluecat

its inspired by the japanese guy off COL5, but a bit more random.

Firebandit, with the sunset silhouette? Those semi-isolation transitions were friggin amazing.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Delete

JayKitty
GOLD Member since Nov 2004

JayKitty

Mission: Ignition

Total posts: 534
Posted:behind the back reverse weave! Wh00t wh00t! I finally have it down pat. My thing was i couldnt get my hands in sync. So i weighted down a tube sock(sock poi made easy)and held it in both hands and just swung it once on either side so I knew how it would feel and such. Anyway. Go me ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Delete

chase
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

chase

Total posts: 43
Posted:My roommate has started spinning with his bare feet. I told him I wanted to see a new move after being away for the weekend. It's quite hilarious, and pretty hard. we lay on our back and hook the loops on our toes - you just have to deal with toe sweat, lol. i don't know if anyone has ever tried this before. hopefully it works better for everyone then it has for me yet.

...it's safe to say that relationships inspired by the art of poi are not necessarily 'poi'fect...!

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:lots of moves like weaves and hyperloops and inverted weaves and stalls and stuff while lying on my back a little bit ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

mtbeer
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

mtbeer

ARRRR!

Total posts: 529
Posted:4 and 6 beat butterfly weaves! ubbrollsmile Thanks Dut (the butterfly prodigy) for showing me those in Knoxville.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Delete

CanadainK9

CanadainK9

Total posts: 4
Posted:So. Yesterday I was waiting for my train out of Barcelona getting some good work done on the old btb butterfly. My first btb move - yeah!

However... as I was getting into it I heard a noise behind me, and looked back to see a guy rifling through my pack! The bastard must have had some serious salt - I was in the middle of a square in broad daylight. I was shocked, then mad as hell. He was shocked, then obviously scared. I yelled quite a lot (conveniently forgetting my spanish for the occation). He looked sheepish and avoided eye contact, and eagerly ran away when I gave him an oportunity.

Leason 1: watch your [censored].
Leason 2: btb stuff rocks!
Leason 3: Yelling at scumbags really does work.

Ah well. On to BTB weave!

Delete

tenticle

tenticle

enthusiast

Total posts: 275
Posted:A kind of weave thing where instead of the planes being like this
|o|
you open it out like this
|
o
|
so you have clockwise on the left and anti clockwise on the right and you don't change direction so much as go kind of atomic for the transitions.
And airwraps that change direction mid wrap without slowing or stopping basicly by airwapping the transition above.
Suicide weave? you kind of let go of the string as one poi is going up under the other arm and then catch it again above it, it's like a micro throw, and you can keep doing it as each time you do it it resets your hands to where they were before you started.
Bunch of atom stuff just by spinning atoms slowly and randomly and watching where they go. pretty much any atom tangle comes out if you turn or at least swap the positions of your hands (crossed or uncrossed, leading or trailing, rather than position in space) and remember how many tangles there are.

It really is amazing how quick you learn after taking a break from poi...

--ben

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:Are you talking about a figure of 8 weave? So you keep the crossover point in front of you but move each wheel plane round so it's all in the wall plane?

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:single poi but two handed contact weave, not clean enough to love yet but soon......

two handed one poi propellors a week or two ago, very usful to extend arm changes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

Faberg

veteran

Total posts: 1459
Posted:5 or 6 beat corkscrew (not sure which, but it's definitely more than 4)

also lots of spirals, isolations, wraps. nothing looks really clean yet, but it will ubbrollsmile

.... some day.... smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

And all that's jazz

Total posts: 92
Posted:yay, 5bt reverse weave at last to complement the 5bt forward weave of a week ago. Also, forward 5bt to backward 5bt transitions and vice versa, up to (semi)continuous transitions. Now to figure out how to change one poi direction for butterfly weaves (TTN to start yeah?)

jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Delete

tenticle

tenticle

enthusiast

Posted:Written by: spiralx

Are you talking about a figure of 8 weave? So you keep the crossover point in front of you but move each wheel plane round so it's all in the wall plane?

yes.

--ben

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:Ah cool, thanks smile

Delete

garthy
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

garthy

old hand

Total posts: 717
Posted:Written by: spiralx

Ah cool, thanks smile

Where's The CAT! eek

and err..... BHB Butteryfly Waist wrap.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:that avatar is *waaaaaaay* cooler spiralx (but you knew i thought that).
someone else round here has the cat now (immortal angel i think) and hels bells had it for a good while way back when hop first got avatars.

i want x's current one on a t-shirt smile

Written by: tenticle

Suicide weave? you kind of let go of the string as one poi is going up under the other arm and then catch it again above it, it's like a micro throw, and you can keep doing it as each time you do it it resets your hands to where they were before you started.

badass smile
old skool infinite weave link.

that wallplane madness sounds really cool tenticle.
any chance of full description in poi moves (or a video biggrin)?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

tenticle

tenticle

enthusiast

Posted:seriously old skool link... i even remember some of those people. And i'll attempt a description of the wall plane thing when i can find a way to draw a picture of it that isn't just a mess. Basicly though, if you imagine an infinity sign in front of you, the poi do two circles on the crossed side of the infinity and one on the same side. You could do it if at the point the poi is traveling down and the string is parallel to the ground, the poi string could instantly swap and be pointing in the opposite direction, connected to your hand at the centre of the other part of the infinity. obviously you cant do that, so you let the poi travel so that at the crossover point on the infinity sign both your hand and the poi head are at the crossover, and the poi is pointing straight ahead, then move your hand to the other centre. it's quite hard not to stall one poi at first, but force the stall to be a circle in corkscrew plane and then it works... Exagerate different parts and you get some nicely twisted variations, like the two circles on the crossed side are vertical, the one circle on the same side is horizontal. like this -o.
just open up a weave and spin slow and a bit iso, quarter time helps, you'll soon get it.

HTH,

--ben

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:Cole - indeed, I'd love a t-shirt with that guy as well! Have you seen the official government document about why they chose it?

http://www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/pdf/matches2.pdf
br>
Interesting reading smile

Tenticle - there's a whole world of stuff here I've been thinking about for a while involving two centres of rotation. It's like the next step on from atoms if you think about the angle between the planes...

| | Normal
/\ Atoms
-- Flat

Delete

Faberg

veteran

Total posts: 1459
Posted:btb waistwrap ubbrollsmile

& another isolated weavy thingy

different to the isolated weavy thingy i've already been doing though...

isolated buzzsaw weave perhaps...?

weavesmiley

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

stroo
SILVER Member since Feb 2003

stroo

trusty sidekick to superman

Total posts: 799
Posted:under the leggy isolated weavy thing..hehe not too sure what it is..and another mysterious isolated waeve five beat thingy...hmmm...

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Delete

Atacan(aka muaddip)
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

Atacan(aka muaddip)

stranger

Total posts: 18
Posted:4 beat TTN starting btb over the shoulder (?). It is regular 4 beat TTN but you start your TTN from over the shoulder. So right poi spins over left should BTB and from there going forward makes the rest of the 4 beat TTN. Left retreats back and makes a spin over the right shoulder BTB going forward does the rest of the 4 beat TTN smile.

cheers,

P.S:It is a very simple idea but haven't seen any movies with this so far smile.

_ __ _
atacan

Delete

Bird

Bird

now available in "advanced"

Total posts: 6086
Posted:silly hyperloop combo. biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:split-time ttn, huggie-things, weird buzz-saws, AND AND AND thankyou bluecat biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Page: 1...4950515253...117