Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Heulynmember
30 posts

Posted:
 Written by :aston

smile

Nice going. Stay safe. biggrin

I will. cheers =]
Now I just gotta start doing everything in reverse, before learning anything new in regular.
x

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bondystranger
12 posts

Posted:
Nailed reverse 3 beat weave, gonna have to start workin on some more complex ones now biggrin gonna have to get some fire poi too me thinks biggrin

Song_Breezenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I finally managed to get turns right! Yay!

QuestionzYnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
I got some new LED ball poi today was using Globug LED stick poi.
Got a few pointers on my turns and reverse 3 bt weave and am startin to get the hang of them.Now to keep practicing til they are nice and smooth and can transition between them.

"Dancing is not simply moving to the music,it is becoming one with the music and letting the music move you"
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Parallel inside (double low 360) i.e.

Parallel (inside) skirt i.e.

[0:2:2:0] 'n

again,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

pilchstranger
18 posts

Posted:
i can hyperloop wwwwwwwwwwwooooooooo 1 n a half days n my arms r paying 4 it but wwwwwwwwooooooooo hug

dont u just love it when ur toys hit ya

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Time for my annual forray into the poi forum wink

I just got behind the back weave wink showing even large lumps like me can nail it ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

lucidreamaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Yay! I'm really excited! Only just started to learn poi properly on tuesday, and I'mreally chuffed with me progress! So far I've learned:

The butterfly, the giant butterfly, and the alternate butterfly
3 beat weave and reverse 3 beat weave
cork screw, both directions
chasing the sun, both directions,
hip reels, both directions,
reel turns,
tuck turns

hoping to get the mexican wave tomorrow... not sure what else to learn yet though...

weavesmiley biggrin

live unlimited... love regardless!

kerobenny150SILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Over the summer i managed to pick up reverse 5 beat weave, one handed butterfly over the head, behind the back weave (3 beat), and some tricks idk the names of... i almost have an albatross...

lucidreamaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Learned some more moves today again that I can add to me list! biggrin

Now I can turn between forwards and backwards three beat weave, in both directions.

Also learned the Windmill, though one direction still needs a little work. Can move from 3 beat weave to Windmill, and then back to 3 beat weave or into reverse 3 beat weave (the latter needs ironing out though)

Nailed Angel Wings! angel

After lots of failed attempts I just spontaneously got Mexican Wave without even intending to do it.. just happened! Still needs lots of practice yet though.

Can do Buzz Saw, but I have to make my chains shorter, and can flow out of it into a normal spin, but not flow into it yet.

Last but not least, I can repeatedly flow alternately between hip reels and shoulder reels, 1 beat on each... not really a move as far as I know, but looks pretty cool methinks! cool

Sorry, nobody probably cares about this! I'm just excited... only started learning poi 4 days ago! ubbloco

NeeBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
I'm working through the art of poi dvd and learned the butterfly yesterday, and today learned; the giant butterfly, the thing where you spin the poi behind your shoulder one at a time that i forget what its called (lol!) and i can sort of do the mexican wave.

swirlygrrlSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
Wow! Luciddreama...that's crazy for 4 freakin days!

I just got the spiral wrap and the sunrise! okay at 4 leaf clover. Just came up with a super cool transition from buzzsaw to a horizontal buzzsaw into a corkscrew and back! It's so much fun!

I have to thank the guys from 5 Years and Counting for pushing me past my block!

lucidreamaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Cheers swirlygrrl! Congrats for mastering your moves too! wink

radgirl83newbie
25 posts

Posted:
just mastered the Guy's gyroscope biggrin and last night I randomly started doing the windmill lol I wasnt even trying it just happened.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The what? Sounds cool though....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

radgirl83newbie
25 posts

Posted:
I got it from the poi book so im not sure if that is the name everyone uses or just what they use in there but it is, the butterfly into shoulder reels (I think, thats what it looks like lol) Tbh tho I find the videos way easier to follow than the book.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Oh good, today we have a reply button. smile

Guy's gyroscope is an extended butterfly reel: if outwards one behind your shoulders, one behind your hips, a large one in front to carry up then repeat. If inwards you have to go the other way (hips, shoulders carry) or dislocate your shoulders.

I just got the alternate version last weekend - same thing but one hand a beat in front of the other. Called The Wiggle for reasons that become apparent when you do it. wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: lucidreama

Last but not least, I can repeatedly flow alternately between hip reels and shoulder reels, 1 beat on each... not really a move as far as I know, but looks pretty cool methinks!

Sorry, nobody probably cares about this! I'm just excited... only started learning poi 4 days ago!
On the first part there, Lucidreama... don't worry about whether or not its a move... if you can use it its "something" I don't call anything I do tricks or moves... I try to call them all "movements" Because they're movements I can do with my poi and my body... struggling to dance. (Actually just stumbling around waving my poi around, but its enjoyable anyway) So yeah, try not to box yourself into learning "moves" and "tricks" learn movements... if its a different movement its something, nothing is nothing.... soapbox

And don't think noone cares... in fact I probably care about the really really beginner ones moreso than the intermediate ones...

Beginner ones I can smile and remember when I was at that stage... it was truly an enjoyable time... ones about my level its like "Well.. yeah, I remember learning that one, but thats not so interesting" And advanced ones half the time I'm just struggling with the precise definition or cursing that my isolations aren't better than what they are...

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Most people do. smile

Doubt that it is a common name. At least not on this forum. Butterfly into shoulder reels is nice though. smile

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I only just clicked as to what you were talking about there, Jameth. I remember when I first discovered "The Wiggle" it was a groovy feeling. ^_^ I still use that one quite often.

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
It is fun: my newest and current favourite. Both "Guys Gyroscope" and "The Wiggle" are names from Poi Spinning btw. Teaching myself it' been very helpful, for times when I couldn't slow a vid down enough to work out what someone was doing.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah the wiggling.... Missed your reply Jameth.

The Wiggle is awesome. You can also do it off same direction reels, which gets a different sort of wiggle.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hehehe, I love the same direction reels wiggle... especially while twirling around in circles! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Aha! This afternoon I shall try wiggling in the same direction then.

I may be a while. wink

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Go forth and wiggle in all directions Jameth, wiggle while turning, wiggle in any way you can think to wiggle and be joyous while doing so!

(Sorry, too hard to resist such a fantastic sentence)

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
'twas fun

weavesmiley
Non-Https Image Link
weavesmiley

(mix 'em up)

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Haz killed the thread! shocked

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The whole "Technical/moves" area has had a slump, I feel.

hug

pilchstranger
18 posts

Posted:
hay up all
dose any one have any names of tricks i can learn coz im new to poi and dont know what the tricks are called and that in turn makes it difficult to find thank you all and
WELL DONE EVERY BOADY YOU ARE ALL DOING GRATE KEEP IT UP AND DONT GIVE IN

dont u just love it when ur toys hit ya

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Jump on the tutorial section of this site https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-POI-3_0_0
, chief, use www.poipoi.info/tuition as a supplement, but I honestly don't fancy much else, but their tutorials are nicely made, if a little mislabeled (In terms of beginner, intermediate advanced) . When you've powered through that, go on https://www.playpoi.com/poi-lessons
for his tutorials. Nathaniel Everest had a massive burst of activity a while back and created a heap of decent beginner/intermediate tutorials, you should be able to find those on youtube reasonably easily. https://www.youtube.com/user/NathanielEverist

Or if you're up to this stage just watch lots of videos... anything you like, try to replicate it... remember NOTHING is too hard to learn, you just need the practice... the only vague exception is that some movements are built on from other movements and so you'll need the earlier ones.

Good luck, pilch.

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1222035345)
EDIT_REASON: Burst of kindness, included links.

hug

Page: ......