• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:well the way i learned it, it is a split time butterfly hip reel alternating to a split time butterfly shoulder reel and back one hand up and one hand down

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
GOLD Member since Oct 2009

SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Total posts: 2280
Posted:What my friend is a Wiggle? I'm interested now and can't find it on Youtube.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:Originally Posted By: Midkiffwell the way i learned it, it is a split time butterfly hip reel alternating to a split time butterfly shoulder reel and back one hand up and one hand down

Oh, that. Yeah, I love that one. Feels great, and makes an easy turn in split time butterfly.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWhat my friend is a Wiggle? I'm interested now and can't find it on Youtube.

I've never specifically looked for it on YT, I don't recall seeing it - I got it from Michal Kahn's book.

Pretty much as midkiff describes, with an extension in front for the third beat so you don't dislocate your shoulder.

So, imagine split time inwards butterfly: right arm goes once behind your hip, extend up to once behind your shoulder, extension in front back to behind your hip. Left arm follows 1/2 beat behind, which leads to the wiggle.

Either hand can lead and if you do it outwards it's reverse so behind shoulder- behind hip-front-behind shoulder.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I have no idea what was just described crazy

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:It's just raising a hip reel into a butterfly windmill and back, except one hand goes up while the other goes down.

Delete

Teamo
GOLD Member since Dec 2009

Teamo

Almost again

Total posts: 124
Posted:I haven't heard of the term before either, but from the description I'm thinking that the thing I do in the collab video around 4:32-4:35 would be considered turning with Wiggle (though extremely sloppy) ?

Delete

Smurf24029
GOLD Member since Sep 2009

Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf

Total posts: 343
Posted:I just put some kind of weight in the handles on a pair of poi, and have really started to explore throws more. Can do the cool toss each poi to the other hand during an upward stall while spinning opposites.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:I'm coming along slowly with throws, but I just got the hang of putting a random toss into a weave. It's a big step for me to A) not change the direction of the poi when I catch it, and B) to be able to spin with the other hand at the same time.

Delete

Jameth

Jameth

enthusiast

Posted:Originally Posted By: ReVoI haven't heard of the term before either, but from the description I'm thinking that the thing I do in the collab video around 4:32-4:35 would be considered turning with Wiggle (though extremely sloppy) ?

It looks like it to me.

I think most experienced poisters would include that combo in passing now and then, without thinking about it, but to me as a beginner it was a milestone.

It's also one those moves 'lay' people like, especially when done with light or fire, because of the variation in circle size and the way it wraps around you.

Delete

Groove
BRONZE Member since Feb 2010

Groove

Groove is the key .

Total posts: 1
Posted:i am very new to poi. just made my first sock poi last week, and i love them.
i have been hooping since last summer so i am just getting te hang of both arts.

i hope to learn from each person i meet on here. :]

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Split-time same direction stalls behind my back

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:Just starting to get those myself. Also got the notcoleman weave, which I don't really like tongue2

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:what is the notcoleman weave? it's not on youtube

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:It's an inverted 3bt weave. For the forwards, when you bring one arm over the other, instead of taking it back to the other side of your body you bring it up between your arms. Basically instead of the single beat on that arm's side of your body, you bring it through the buzzsaw plane.

Delete

Nonsense

Nonsense

stranger

Total posts: 11
Posted:ok this is gonna sounds so lame but im very happy i just learned how to do bw 2bt weave grin i just never did anything bw and its very hard for me frown

but next step bw 3bt weave wooooo!!!

Delete

Jameth

Jameth

enthusiast

Posted:Congratulations! smile

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Awesome grin Don't worry, going the other way is harder for everyone. I still suck a buzzsaw flowers the opposite direction than I normally do.

Delete

Nonsense

Nonsense

stranger

Posted:thankkk youuuu grin

yea its very harddddd shocked i still keep hitting myself on occasion but its getting better lol
i got Reels down too grin

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I suggest while getting ur 2-3bt weaves, learning all your reels. Your low and high turns, turning with them. And also turning with reels is nice. Learn flowers as early as possible because it opens up freedom of movement around your body which helps a ton in learning new things and is just very important to learn. And I didn't do this, but take it from me, learn your flowers in both directions early on or it bites you later.

Delete

Nonsense

Nonsense

stranger

Posted:yea i got all the reels down they not perfect but alright i can turn with them and stuff i've been practicing a lot of 360 turns both directions just to gain a little freedom with my movements.
Also i've been playing with flowers but i havent really practice them yet and thank you for your advice smile im learning everything by myself pretty much so it kinda sucks and advise from experienced people always a very good help smile

Delete

eca
BRONZE Member since Mar 2010

Total posts: 197
Posted:I just realized that I've been able to do the windmill for weeks and had no idea. lol.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

gypsylotus

stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:Can someone tell me where I can get VIDEOS that teach the moves... close up enough to see and slow enough to catch??? All the viideos I see on youtube suck! Oh and.... I've begun with glow balls....they seem long and hard to control....any suggestions?

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:IMO, Derek's videos on this site and on YouTube are about as good as it gets. Nick Cann's videos are also pretty good for being able to see the motion. The only thing better is being able to spin with other people.

Delete

eca

Posted:gypsylotus: Glow balls tend to be really light, I would suggest adding weight to them if you can. Otherwise, you can make a decent pair of poi out of a pair of socks and some rice.

Everyone one says to use 1/2 cup of rice and that worked great when I was just starting but I now find that to be way too light, I'd say try a full cup.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I've always learned the best from Nick Woolsey's videos. But he doesn't have everything so for other think I almost always look at Derek's videos.

Delete

Jameth

Jameth

enthusiast

Posted:I found Nathaniel Everist's YT vids helpful when I was starting - he does a fair bit of beginner stuff, and that was before meenick had his beginner stuff up.

eta: for some of the more complicated stuff I capture the video then play it back slowed up. A DVD would be easier but apart from the HOP one all the DVDs I'm aware of are intermediate or above.

EDITED_BY: Jameth (1270765442)

Delete

Nonsense

Nonsense

stranger

Posted:Nick Woolsey's videos helped me a lot with basics, he explains really good and hes method of teaching is amazing.
but it takes a lot of practice to learn from videos and when you dont have anyone there to show you how to do it frown

Delete

eca

Posted:I just got the reverse 3 beat grin Now, gotta work on turning with the weave and linking the weave more smoothly with other moves.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Nonsense, as someone that taught themself how to poi from some videos and a lot working it out on my own, I must say that the best option is to work out how you learn best.

I learned best by breaking down the components and looking at WHY things worked.

The 3 beat has components with both hands on top, so I learned the 2 beat with right hand on top, 2 beat with left hand on top, then put it together for the 3 beat.

hug

Delete