Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
not really a new move, but after watching a video of glow stringing i deciced to give them a go...
Once you get used to the fact they don't weigh anything, suddenly that whole glowstringer-wrap-spectacular type stuff becomes very easy.
Anyway, the move; BTB butterfly double bicep wraps, where you keep alternating which bicep you wrap on.
Oh, and BTB weave, wrap right poi on left shoulder, turn 90', one-and-a-half beats of BTB TTN, turn another 90', then wrap the left poi on your right shoulder, so your back in the same BTB weave, but facing the other way. More of a combo than a move, though.

--Ben

tedsungmember
2 posts

Posted:
YES!!!!
I think i figured out the 5bt reverse weave!!!
Only on one side so far, gonna go and figure the rest out.
WOOT!!!

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Thanx Dio for thanking Jedi for me

Well i have lerned much but i have worked out a few routins and stuff

NO WAIT i have worked out a new move...rev 4bt weave on one side but i have worked it out going fwd...just one more side to go. You guys have really stunned me by say that you have just lerned 6&7bt weave plus many other stuff....WOW you guys are good

Anyway im still cunning to lern heaps and i hope someday that i will comeup with a move that you guys haven't done...hehe

Well back out side to lern more moves

Bye Bye Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

Severly burnedmember
10 posts

Posted:
I've learnt buzzsaw and soon (hopefully) chase under the leg.

..:Ø_Ø_Ø:..

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Poi on Trampoline anyone??????

Has anyone tried this yet?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
quote:
Also, a move that starts from a butterfly, then a quarter-turn to the left which puts the poi spinning in a buzzsaw like position, just in opposite directions...another quarter turn brings about a reverse butterfly, etc
SNAP!!

Must be something in the air - I've just figured that one out too - been playing with it like mad

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Nine beat weave to reverse nine beat, without wraps. The reverse is a bit scrappy, and one poi almost catches up with the other at times, but the forwards looks nice, nicer than the seven beat, because of the way you have to twist your body underneath the poi to bring them over your shoulder...
And BTB nine beat (theoreticly), I do it by doing a thru-wrap on each side of a BTB 5, trusting that swinging my hips across gives it enough momentum to unwrap nicely and stay in split time.
At the moment, its very messy and i can only tell it's working by watching frame-by-frame on the video...

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't the thru-wrap on each side make it 7 beat rather than 9?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
No, because one full thru wrap adds...
On the side they wrap:
Half a beat for the poi that wraps,
Half a beat for the poi that dosn't wrap
(Because you change which poi crosses first)
When they unwrap:
Half a beat for the poi that unwraps,

To get from a three beat weave to a 4, all you need to do is to find half an extra beat one one side, to keep the poi that would cross over from crossing. The other half beat comes from the other poi doing an extra half on the beggining of the other side, because it's gone over half a beat late, as it were...

Arashi's spider thing is all based on this... ( or if it isn't, i'm doing it differently...) You can do a seven beat forwards weave without crossing your elbows if you can see where to let the poi only half wrap your wrist... if you let it fully wrap and do a whole extra beat, the other poi does a whole extra beat too, and you end up with a nine. (This isn't how the non-btb nine mentioned earlier works... thats a crossed elbow seven beat that i used to let half wrap my wrists to get it up to a nine until i worked out where my wrists had to be not to contact the poi strings.)

I'm working on getting a video of some of this stuff together, simply because there's moves i can do that i don't know what they are, and I can't describe them, so if people could see them, maybe they could tell me what they are...

Anyway, I'm far to pissed right now to get this any more coherent. Suffice to say that a full thru wrap adds two full beats to the side you wrap on (if you do it on both sides) or one full beat to each side if you only do it on one side. Practice rolling your wrists round so a thru wrap stays in split time, and the beats become easier to count.

--Ben

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Update: This is how i explained it to a mate before...

A hyperloop adds two extra beats to whatever move you are doing at the time (each poi gets half a beat when they wrap, and then another half when they unwrap). A thru wrap is a hyperloop that wraps your arm rather than the chain of the other poi. Thus, a thru wrap adds two extra beats to whatever move you are doing at the time.

--Ben

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Mmmm, not convinced by that:

quote:
No, because one full thru wrap adds...
On the side they wrap:
Half a beat for the poi that wraps,
(Because you change which poi crosses first)
When they unwrap:
Half a beat for the poi that unwraps,
From that description, you're counting one beat as two, by my way of thinking. As I understand it, the number of beats is the number of revolutions ONE poi does before the pattern repeats itself.

J

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
But impressive nonetheless!

J

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Thanks!
I've been counting the number of beats in a move as the number of beats one poi does in total, ie in a seven beat, one poi does 4 beats on one side, 3 on the other, and the other poi does the opposite, so the total number of beats on each side is also seven...
If you stand wall plane and do a three beat weave with a thru wrap in front of you, and keep looking through the plane of the weave, you'll count five beats total, and if you do one behind you as well, when they come back you'll count seven. So a three beat with two thru wraps makes a seven beat weave, and a five with two makes a nine. But it's a real bugger to keep them split time, and if they stray into same time, you enly end up with an eight...

--Ben

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hmmm... now even i am confused you're right, tho, 7 beat is: the 5 on both sides with the "7 technique" on one side, 9 beat is: the 5 on both sides with the "7" on both sides too. forward 9 and reverse 9, put together, you have the 9 beat spider.
to make it easy for myself i count the beats by how many times a poi crosses the point directly opposite the crossover point, before they cross over again to the next side. just a minor point, i suppose, but now there's clarity. 6 one way, half dozen the other.
my "spider" is the entire course of what you call weaves, in other words a weave(3 bt, etc.) from forward to reverse. your 3 beat weave is half my 3 beat spider, the forward or reverse half.

and you should be able to hit this 9 without wrapping. i avoid the thru wrap with the crooked hand by carrying the chain on my middle-fingertips. also to cheat if you slightly carry the 8th beat crossover, turning at the waist, you can pause the wick slightly at 12 o clock, so you make the chain fly up loose, free from your wrist... look ma, no hands... not that it matters, really you just wanna be able to dance with your hands in the 9 beat position at any given moment, who cares if you touch your chains?(me )
but maybe raptors, that's what you mean by thru wrap? at least by the "half wrap" part of it. i think it may. raptors are for the 10- 13 beats, which turn in the opposite direction than a normal "weave," at laest at first anyway. flips the whole weave backwards. good luck with not letting those catch up to each other! one day i'll have time to perfect those... too busy choreographing!!!
anyway the real point of 9 is to move the crossover point beyond the windmill(12 o clock) down to the 4 -5 o clock area. then carry the crossover just a little, and try not to let them catch up to each other...
confused yet? heh heh, i figured, hey, it looks like they got this thing, lemmee confuse em a bit...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah. thing is confusing is, do you call a right side 7 beat (same as a nine, but only on one side) with a 11 technique(raptor) at the end a 9 beat or an 11 beat? depends on if you are going by a system which counts weaves, which would make it 11, or by a system which counts the number of beats opposite the crossover, (half a weave), which mine is, so it's a 9, or a spider count, which makes it between 18-22!
bUt i tHINk I unDeRsTand nOw.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
OK, after reading that i've actually worked out what it is i'm doing...
First off, I count beats exactly the same way you do arashi, i just count them at the top of the circle as they pass in front of my eyes.

What I thought was a nine beat is actually an eleven beat... you do the crossed elbow seven, and then the thing on the end that makes it a nine, and then when you do it on the other side to it becomes an eleven.

And what i thought was a seven without crossing the elbows is actually a nine, for the same reason. The problem is it's quite hard to count beats as poi passing in front of your eyes when two beats happen behind your head.

So: a five with a thru wrap on each end is a nine, and the five with a hyperloop on each end is a nine, and a five with the 'seven manuvere' on each end is a nine, and a thru wrap and a hyperloop are the same thing done in different places... looks like the 'seven manuvere' is where you hyperloop your wrists instead of the poi strings...

But anyway... Whoohoo! Eleven beat weave! And there's still two weeks before i'll have been spinning for a year.

--Ben

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
After thinking some more and realizing I can do a teo beat weave with the last two beats of a nine beat... or is it the last two of a seven? Or eleven? It all depends on the number of beats you did on the side you did before the one you started the two beat on...
The whole thing is just the weave... both poi traveling in the same direction. You just do it with your hands and arms and body wrapped up in different ways, on different sides of your body, or with your arms not so twisted, but the poi strings wrapped in different ways.

So the new move i have learnt: The weave. In some fancy places.
Poi. It's like life; Everything gets more and more complex and detailed, then you step back and realize everythings the same just looked at in a different way...

--Ben

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
to me the spiders are just ways of keeping your hands in one area while dancing. 11 beat technique is what i do when im dancing and i want to curl my arms up.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I hope I'm not alone in saying . Arashi, are you going to be at burning man this year? I'm sure I remember you mentioning your group has performed there or something. If so, I would really like to see these spiders of yours, because, short of having 7 foot arms articulated in about five places, I can't picture them at all.
Tenticle, on your 9 beat (or 11, whatever, getting even more confused, the one from regular 7 beat arm positon (jedi louise) with arms crossed at elbows and wrists), transition from right side to left, which poi crosses first, left or right? If the left crosses first, it's 9 beat, if right crosses first it's 11, to my way of counting beats, which may well be different to yours.

J

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I think the weave things you're referring to have been named off-set weaves by pk? glass? can't remember off the top of my head.

J

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
From the jedi louise crossed elbow seven, you can twitch your fingers round a bit to make the left poi come over first, which would be a nine, then you can roll your shoulders over as well, and make the right poi pass over first, and gos to eleven. Or you can do your shoulders first, and then fiddle it on the fingers as it passes over your shoulder.
Without crossing your elbows, you can do a five with the finger and shoulder thing to get up to a nine. And i think it ought to be possible to twist your shoulders the other way and get the extra beats under your arm rather than over.
And i should note that I can't actually *do* the eleven properly... I always end up dropping a beat going left to right, and so i can't keep it going more than once through, and it's only an eleven beat proper once you get to the third side (because the first one can't be more than a ten because the eleventh beat comes from the last beat of an eleven on the other side.) And to be honest, they look uglier than sevens, with extra flailing elbows. But nines are sweet.

--Ben

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah above a nine is just for fun. there's two nines, over and under the arms. and actually there's more than one way to get past nine. but since we're talking raptors i been sticking to that 11. more 10+ later.

F@#K yeah i'm going to burning man!
sage and i will probably do a show with El Circo, along with creating as much random fiery chaos as possible.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Butterfly waist wrap, w00t! Proof that if I can get it past my waist anyone can lol Now to learn it the other side and forwards...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Breizzzemember
7 posts

Posted:
Where can I find out how to learn more moves?
I've got an opportunity to put my case forwards to perform in a club but if all goes well i need to increase my repertoire.
I've been playing about with poi for about a year, really trying for about 6/7 months and using fire for 2 weeks - aren't they heavy!?

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
i just learned a new move!!!
actually i did it a long time ago and forgot about it, but just recently rediscovered and named it. it is called "paging dr. assensteinZ" (assie for short) and basically what i do is i put both chains in one hand swinging together in the same direction, grab the middle of the chains to make them shorter with the other hand (mine are just super long so if you have shorter chains you would not necessarily need to do this) and bend over and throw them between the legs, and then do a full 360 while doing chase type turns half bent over with the chains between your legs (so that poi are spinning in wall plane behind your butt)...

anyway hey shout out to arashi and sage i will probably quit my job in a couple months and start traveling maybe i will pass thru austin if not see you at BM i will find you guys so we can hook up a circle somewhere one night like we did @spacelounge last year...

peax

skunk

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
see you soonly!
man i can't wait til BM!
quitting job good down with the dominant paradigm!
whats a paradigm? two guys digging holes? well, down with them!

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Yayyyyyyyyyyy...all this time i have been doing the 5bt weave which i thought it was the 4bt..hahahahah, until yesterday some guy pointed it out....IM SO HAPPY

Anyways keep spining

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
5 beat forwards weave, one handed!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Sounds a bit crazy!

Did you literally just learn that now at half three in the morning?

I just learnt how to move my thyroid independently of the rest of my body. I can get a kind of wobbling action going on if i concentrate hard enough. Next i want to move my body while i'm doing it so i perform a thyroid isolation.

Sorry, was it just poi moves that're meant to be here?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yep, sad huh?. I built myself a set of meteors on friday evening and have been having a play with them in my bedroom. Almost got 4 beat corkscrew one handed going. I can transfer any moves i learn with them to poi (holding both handles at once), but thick rope is easier on the hands when learning than badely welded chain.

Page: ......