• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...9091929394...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

fNi
fNi

master of disaster
Total posts: 3354
Posted:Some contact thingoes now that I finally got around to making counterweighted poi

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Within 14 seconds of Uber teaching, I can now do one-and-two-halves.

Thanks Rob!!

And reverse one-and-two-halves Thanks to THE fluff.

I love visiting Southants. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:I'm doing this for a while and can't believe this to be new a all:

Buzzsaw - one hand remains in position, the other hand leaves, does a flower pattern (anti- or spin) and returns into the buzzsaw

Variation: before one hand comes back into the buzzsaw, the other hand starts ot to flower.

If done to the rythm of the music, it gives a very sweet view...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Yeah, the buzzsaw flower takeouts are lush! I've been playing with isolating them as well, looks really trippy ir one hand is doing continuous antispin flowers, and the other stays in place....

Got *wracks brains for closest terms* butterfly fountain with hugged insert. Like a forward butterfly weave to a backwards butterfly weave, but with a beat of opposite direction huggy in the middle... lush...

3bt weave inversion (the barrel roll bit) pulled out into a hyperloop too.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:"buzzsaw flower takeout" ubbidea "butterfly fountain with hugged insert"

ubblol

I'm doing some kind of "forward (opposing) dual chain buzzsaw - butterfly - reverse (opposing) dual chain buzzsaw" - combo... is that alike?

But antispin flower outtakes are trippy indeed...

peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

adrenaline
adrenaline

Total posts: 18
Posted:i just got the reverse thread the needle!! wooo now im trying split time! i realice theres no imposible moves only few practice... does anybody knows how to start the one side butterfly?? smile:)

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

Delete

OctaviaKeaton

Total posts: 10
Posted:well Im not sure what all these complicated moves are...but seeing as I just started Id like to say that I just learned the weave yaaay!..and the corkscrew!...and the backwards weave sort of! :P

Yeah I have the AoP video lol

Delete

Elentari
Total posts: 8
Posted:Hmm, well Im just at the point where Im starting to experiment with transitions and whatnot, which is fun. I just figured out how to go from a regular 3bt to a BTB 3bt! And also into a buzzsaw from a weave... easy enough but still a thrill!

And I dont know what it is but Im sure it has some name, I just "made up" a sort of weave isolation hybrid. I cant wait to be able to do isolations for more than 2 seconds, theyre so fun and I love how they look!

"He had been 8 years upon a project for extracting sunbeams from cucumbers, which were to be put in vials, hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers."
~Swift, Gullivers Travels

Delete

Mireneye
enthusiast

Total posts: 276
Posted:cool ubblove

I just discovered some type of Butterfly Fountain, which I'm SURE people have played with before, I just havn't seen them in many videos I guess. eek

Delete

spinningstarlet
spinningstarlet

enthusiast
Total posts: 271
Posted:TTN!!! I FINALLY GOT THREAD THE NEEDELE!!!!

yay!

I finally got chase the sun too, (was having some issues with my left poi over my head)

also now i'm trying to learn the wiggle and ttn with the glow poi as well as the socks!

EDITED_BY: toobie (1175241252)

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:throws: Been trying to sort out that pesky left hand!

simultaneous double throws from plain reverse spinning

a few catches of simultaneous doubles throws from butterfly

alternating left right throws from ttn

alternating left right btb throws (catch in front) from low wave

throws and catches from reverse giant windmill (thanks to ros and oli for the idea on that one)

and btb catches with my right hand

also i managed to get my btb butterfly working for more than 3 seconds in same time (somehow split time works easier for me)

Pretty happy with today!! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

AuroraJones
Total posts: 16
Posted:So I finally got my reverse weave, took me a few days. smile Now what should I be working on? I can do a butterfly, in both directions, and a high wave, but when I try to do it once behind my head they twist.
Any advice on that?
What can I apply my cool new weave and reverse weave to? What can I try to lead into with it?

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Turn to turn from a forwards weave into a backwards one, and back a gain, both directions. Then learn Fountains. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

DarkFyre
DarkFyre

HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
Total posts: 1965
Posted:very produtive week for me I learnt antispin flowers/weave/several other varionts therof including some atomic structure stuff but that just happened by accident (good accident however).

Hyperloops on my bad side, I had the hyperloop down going left to right but i couldn't for the life of me get them to go right to left until today. Airwraps go figure i learnt to do hyperloops before i could airwrap.

Oh I also figured out some buzzsaw stuf, I have no idea why it took me so long to figure coz it ain't all that difficult.

now I'm going to go back to spinning inside and trying to avoid hitting the light bulb since i killed the entire fitting the other day but I have since repared it.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Delete

Obi_Wan_Lynobi
Obi_Wan_Lynobi

Total posts: 9
Posted:I too have had a productive week, finally got the 5 beat weave, and turning from forward into reverse 3 beat and back again. Result!

I once saved the universe in a big yellow truck

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:Weave Olos, without complete turn yet.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:I've been tidying up my antispin weave, practising some clubspinning grooviness, and just making my stuff look good.

Offset 3 petal antispun flowers to, which is fun, plus still working on antispin reels.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

darkness-before
darkness-before

Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
Total posts: 197
Posted:Yay joy an happiness! Is it sad that I'm so mega excited about being able to do 3 beat weave? Taken me a damn week but now i can do it forward and reverse!
Many impacts in my dosy skull and my pods. However finally got it down.
Joy of poi! weavesmiley

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Delete

Brenn
Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
Total posts: 3286
Posted:I got my first set of poi on the 24th of April, just two days ago smile

Have learned butterflies, BTB butterflies, alternate butterflies, turning while forward spinning & backward spinning. Just pulled off a horribly planed 4-beat flower yesterday smile and criss-crossing weaves!

YAY! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

FatGuru
FatGuru

Total posts: 40
Posted:I Finally Got The 5 Beat!!!!!!!!!! wow

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

Delete

Amanda13
Total posts: 91
Posted:Got a couple of btb moves (stuff I can do in front of me). Butterfly and 3beat forward weave. Also (not sure if tese have names) can swap my top hand for front butterfly both by kepping it in front or going once behind.

I like my homemade socks

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Total posts: 382
Posted:Congrats, y'all. I just finished getting the hang of the 5 beat forward and reverse weaves. Unfortunately, I think I strained my wrist from the practice, so NOW I have to rest it. Talk about aggravating!

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:I've nailed Icon's antispin reels, and been working on antispinning everything. I need to work some more on my isolated weave too.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

JauntyJames
JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3533
Posted:Five beat butterfly weave for the win! I think it's forward, but it doesn't really matter with bfly weaves.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:This sounds so much cooler than it probably is wink
I got the..

Atomic Isolated Intersecting Butterfly

\o/

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

dreadhead666

Total posts: 5
Posted:i nailed the btb reverse 3 beat weave the other week... was quite random. Id watched a video about 4 months previus but never attempted it. Then i was just sitting talking to my mate and suddenyl it popped into my head 'I KNOW HOW TO DO IT! GIVE ME MY POI!' so i started... after 5mins.. i had it down. really random. Tried it for the first time with fire last week, not too bad but i only managed it for a short time... more practice!

After that i nailed a split time hip and shoulder reels.. i coudlnt get the timing at all. Then spinning randomly in the park i got a 360 3bt weave so then my friend goes ooo FOUNTAIN... so i did that... kinda got isolations but find them far easier with sock poi than the normal tails / string combo...

at the mo I'm trying to work on turns every which way, 180's 360's etc... all at different parts of my body and with different moves.

Nick woosley has inspired me after watching the scales of poi dvd. Must admit even though the concept is very simple, it is probably a little to advanced for me atm! but the 8 variations and 64 combinations thing got me thiking so its definately something to work on with moves i already know.

I've tried the 5bt and i cannot get it for the life of me... not too bothered about really complicated tricks.. if it flows with what im already doing then i'll be bothered. I can stand all this, 'twists your wrists till they break' bollox... basically, if i can't do it with fire.. im not learning it. Call me small minded but i love performing with fire and my fabric poi are simply there for practice.

If theres any moves out there that arnt too complex but a little more advanced please let me know. I'm stuck on a learning curve atm and have no idea what to add to my repetoire.

sorry for the big post... i ramble lots and lots

Delete

[Nx?]
[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3749
Posted:i did the same ting when i lernt 3bt btb, its cool, and your right about 5 bt.

I gots a handle on, hybrid flowers, 1 plane polytime goofy fountain and the same in two planes (i cant be assed explaining it yet)

trying to do parrelel antispin reels but with a behind the hed transition... hurts.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Posted: Written by: dreadhead666

I've tried the 5bt and i cannot get it for the life of me... not too bothered about really complicated tricks.. if it flows with what im already doing then i'll be bothered. I can stand all this, 'twists your wrists till they break' bollox... basically, if i can't do it with fire.. im not learning it. Call me small minded but i love performing with fire and my fabric poi are simply there for practice.

If theres any moves out there that arnt too complex but a little more advanced please let me know. I'm stuck on a learning curve atm and have no idea what to add to my repetoire.

sorry for the big post... i ramble lots and lots

I would keep at the 5-bt. Its really not as arm-wrenching as it seems. The trick is more in learning to twist at the hips, instead of forcing your arms to do all the work.

It could totally fit in with your regular routines. And as you are already practicing turns 180, 360, etc, learning to transition from forward to reverse 5-bt will come very quickly for you.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:i think i almost have the btb reverse weave, it only took a year and a half

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Posted:reverse weave is coming along ok for me right now. Its a heck of a lot easier than the forward btb weave. But I havent gotten the concept of how to jump up to the 3-bt and 5bt btb weaves.

btw, since having gotten online and found all these helpful tutorials here and elsewhere I have picked up the 3bt, 5bt forward and reverse weaves, TTTN, btb weave, and realized that I actually knew some moves but not their names: Corkscrew, Windmill, Butterfly, and the 180 and 360 weaves.

So big up to all of HoP and the entire spinning community! You all have release a floodgate in my mind. Im spinning like I couldn't believe.

Delete

Page: 1...9091929394...117