Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one i hear that inspirational sunshine you were talking about is due *all weekend*

what next you ask? i heard its a good idea to learn your moves in reverse. then you can turn around with them. or you could go straight for 5 club mike's mess.

er new moves, new moves... i did a couple of 360's using a pair of top and bottom carries last night. which suprisingly looks quite nice.

*scuffles out of thread in the huge shadow of drew doing mike's mess*

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Nefastmember
7 posts

Posted:
Well, First off, I doubt this even counts, But... I dunno.
I started with an over-the head butterfly. ...but not the switch-over. a butterfly while looking straight up, arms above the head, then from that position, leaning forward, into a low crouch, the butterfly still going behind the back, arms out. Makes you look kinda like a squatting helicopter.
The only thing is, as you get back up, tilting the spin so you don't hit yourself in the back of the head.

I bet I'm not the first to do this, at all. Hell, it could be a standard move. I dunno. The other things I'm trying out are jumping 'through' weaves. Because I'm hyperactive.

There aren't a lot of people in Maine who spin. It's sad. Teachmeteachme~

Don't you talk when I ask you a question.. you think I'm talking just to hear myself talk? ANSWER ME!!Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
finally, in the last 3 weeks i've figured out and smoothed out my 5 beat weave forward and reverse,my thread the needle, forward/reverse/btb and the btb weave, the ttn's and the 5 beats just hit me all at once in one night and i was just posessed, no explaination thay just hit me

Dicipline Focus Damage

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
3 beat btb weave forward and backward. Feels beautifull in comparison to the btb figure 8. So much fuller or something. Now to get the damn turning thing.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
just got my first 4 beat thread the needle and my first (of hopefully many) waitwraps together to many thanks to PK and glass respectively. woooohooo

God bless Blossom Hill!!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeehaaaw! my first "i just learned a new move" post: finally got a chance to work on maxi hyperloops again... somehow pulled off a two beat maxi plus starting btb between the shouder blades, and with some fancy footwork, crossing over the shoulder to the front for last two beats. so much work to do, so little time...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
After a year and a half of trying, I've finally got the btb forwards butterfly. How pathetic am I? Just need to turn that into btb forward ttn (I like three letter abbreviations!) and then I can play with lots of fun turning btb butterflys! Quite excited by that!
Also recently worked out: odd hand roll in the middle of a weave, backwards (can't really describe it, but the poi do a single beat of buzzsaw with the arms crossed before going back into the weave), btb 360 3 beat ttn (bugger me if I can describe what that looks like) and the principle behind staff fishtails, if not actually how to do them.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
(I've saw that move OW is saying about on thursday.. it's a sweet move.. you'll have to show me again next time I see you!)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
i just got comfortable enough to do a btb weave lit up, and i hit myself in the shoulder soooo close to my ear, hehe it was scary, but funny cuz i got it on video freaking out hehe

posi vegan straight edge

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
one time i whalloped my ear with a sopping wet lit up wick...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Bring some long arms and a crash helmet!
I've worked out some interesting ttn variations, including the "try it backwards in split time and repeatedly crack your head until you split your forhead open" version

J

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
7 beat no wrap weave!! yay!! now to learn it backwards..tanks tiff!!

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Which new move.

I got 9bt btb reverse weave wraps.
And 6+bt btb forward weave wraps.

Btb turning weaves which turns into forward weave in front of me but my hands are btb.(and wrap or not)

Btb and bth hyperloops.

11-12 bt bth reverse windmill and corkscrew weave wraps. (Actually that could be forward)into bth hyperloops. "sometimes"

6-12 beat forward and reverse weave wraps.

6-12 beat forward corkscrew and windmill wraps.(same as above)

And inside hyperloop weaves both sides blindfolded.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I just managed to pull off possibly the ugliest, most useless move ever! Btb 7 beat weave.
Having said that, I'm sure it looks worse in reverse. Got to try that one soon.

J

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Oh my god, I feel like newbie cheese, I just learnt 3 beat weave and the butterfly, and some random shit I can't identify, funky huh

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Kat scrathes head puzzled

ye what....????

Can never understand what everyone is talking about

But anyhow - fairplay

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
The return of Cassandra to Paris brings out not just the beautiful warm weather, but also new moves for me to learn!

So, today I managed to learn a one handed butterfly.

Also, a move that starts from a butterfly, then a quarter-turn to the left which puts the poi spinning in a buzzsaw like position, just in opposite directions...another quarter turn brings about a reverse butterfly, etc.

Lastly, a move which starts from a butterfly, then the right hand crosses in front of the body while the poi swings behind the back and the left hand poi goes behind the head. The idea is to do this split-time and move across on both sides. It looks rather like Bruce Lee working the nunchakus.

Its great to be learning again!!

I have so much to learn..

Raph

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:
i figuered a nice transition out today do ttn turn it horisontal push it up in the air and you can turn in circles as you do it if you time it right, the wrap on poi and go into quad corckscrew it looks really nice

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raphael96:
Also, a move that starts from a butterfly, then a quarter-turn to the left which puts the poi spinning in a buzzsaw like position, just in opposite directions...another quarter turn brings about a reverse butterfly, etc.
A coincidence, because I learnt to do that this weekend as part of a TTN weave going both ways... looks pretty damn nice and there are all kinds of inside turns you can do depending on how you twist your hands.

Also managed to get hyperloops working nicely forwards, now to work on backwards. And my isolated buzzsaw is finally there

"Moo," said the happy cow.

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
I don't mean to be the odd one out but...all the these abreviations are really confusing. IM new to this forum and i understnad most of what you guys are talking about apart from these...TTN, BTB, BTBB etc

Now onto the subject tody i lerned the one hand butterfly...heheh slow but cunning lerner

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

MozyBRONZE Member
147 posts

Posted:
damn...i forgot to mention about these buzzsaw and hyperloops...stilll scratching my head about those hehehe

Loki

Breizzzemember
7 posts

Posted:
Gonna sound tame to most of u guys, just spent the last few months moaning cuz I can only do a few really basic moves. Now the weather is warmer i've taken it outside - doesnt life get easier with more space??? anyway last nite i accidentally managed to go from 3bt rvs weave to 3bt forwards weave and discovered its not about changing poi direction its about turning yourself underneath the poi!!! so this morning i learned to do this from backwards to forwards and back again both ways. Still cant do more than a 3bt weave - totally confused with that.
Could some explain ttn for me as well???
BREIZZZE
XXXXXXXX

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Breizze - TTN is direct combination of two kinds forward or backward BF (which hand cross another hand?!!)....

Isolated fountain finally done...

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i got a few of them at a party on saturday night richee. damn it felt good

can't do it now though

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Im soooo happy. I know its not too advanced, but i just learnt the 3 beat backwards weave this weekend, i can also move it into a forward 3 beat weave. I finally got it!! yaay. Next thing is the BTB Weave.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh boy! richee's back!!!

MozyBRONZE Member
147 posts

Posted:
hey hey i just doen a "thread the needle rev & ffw split time....yayyyyyyyyyyy

got the idea of Jedi White on COL3 thanx bro

Loki

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I'll be sure to pass on your thanks to Jedi White next time I see him

I was happy I learned at my last practice how to do several wraps... the kind I believe they call Yin-Yangs (double bicep wraps from a windmill) and handcuff wraps in the forward and reverse weaves. I also smoothed out the 7bt forward weave finally... though I must say I don't really see any functional purpose to 7+bt weaving.

Other moves I've recently learned - waist wrapping, btl stuff, btb corkscrew (choppy), same-time waist wrap, and same-time btb reverse weave (looks really nuts... thanks Hephaestus!).

Videos really help to learn and inspire new moves, I might suggest some of our releases on our website if anyone is interested in what we have to offer, check out the Wildfire Entertainment Video thread for details.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Breizzzemember
7 posts

Posted:
thanks Richee but i actually meant what does it stand for which i have since worked out - still cant do it but hey never mind.
I have managed in the last couple of days to do a bit of rvs work and now can do rvs bf, rvs oth bf, rvs mw, rvs 3bt weave to fwd 3bt weave and a rvs btb to rvs bf rvs low mw spirally tpye thingy.
take care all
xxx

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
as i've never posted to this thread before...

i've been working on a way to transition between butterfly fountain (with reverse butterfly as the middle beat) and forwards ttn.

Until now i've done a bicept wrap on the right leg with both poi, but this is kinda dangerous because at least 20% of the time the heads tangle and lock together if you get it wrong.

Anyway, moving from the left to right, after the center beat take the right poi across as if to do a normal butterfly to the right but keep the left poi in the centre. Put legs appart, with left about 30 degrees back and wrap the left poi on the left knee and right poi on right ankle. Rebound and the left poi is in the correct direction and position for forwards ttn and right poi is spinning in reverse butterfly on the other side. Continue to spin left poi and bring right back into the centre and you have forwards butterfly/ttn.

Incidently, if you put too much chain between your legs then the heads hit, even more and you get a btl airwrap . Could be worth investigating

Page: ......