Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Nonsensestranger
11 posts

Posted:
thankkk youuuu grin

yea its very harddddd shocked i still keep hitting myself on occasion but its getting better lol
i got Reels down too grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I suggest while getting ur 2-3bt weaves, learning all your reels. Your low and high turns, turning with them. And also turning with reels is nice. Learn flowers as early as possible because it opens up freedom of movement around your body which helps a ton in learning new things and is just very important to learn. And I didn't do this, but take it from me, learn your flowers in both directions early on or it bites you later.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Nonsensestranger
11 posts

Posted:
yea i got all the reels down they not perfect but alright i can turn with them and stuff i've been practicing a lot of 360 turns both directions just to gain a little freedom with my movements.
Also i've been playing with flowers but i havent really practice them yet and thank you for your advice smile im learning everything by myself pretty much so it kinda sucks and advise from experienced people always a very good help smile

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I just realized that I've been able to do the windmill for weeks and had no idea. lol.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

gypsylotusstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Can someone tell me where I can get VIDEOS that teach the moves... close up enough to see and slow enough to catch??? All the viideos I see on youtube suck! Oh and.... I've begun with glow balls....they seem long and hard to control....any suggestions?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
IMO, Derek's videos on this site and on YouTube are about as good as it gets. Nick Cann's videos are also pretty good for being able to see the motion. The only thing better is being able to spin with other people.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
gypsylotus: Glow balls tend to be really light, I would suggest adding weight to them if you can. Otherwise, you can make a decent pair of poi out of a pair of socks and some rice.

Everyone one says to use 1/2 cup of rice and that worked great when I was just starting but I now find that to be way too light, I'd say try a full cup.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've always learned the best from Nick Woolsey's videos. But he doesn't have everything so for other think I almost always look at Derek's videos.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I found Nathaniel Everist's YT vids helpful when I was starting - he does a fair bit of beginner stuff, and that was before meenick had his beginner stuff up.

eta: for some of the more complicated stuff I capture the video then play it back slowed up. A DVD would be easier but apart from the HOP one all the DVDs I'm aware of are intermediate or above.
EDITED_BY: Jameth (1270765442)

Nonsensestranger
11 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey's videos helped me a lot with basics, he explains really good and hes method of teaching is amazing.
but it takes a lot of practice to learn from videos and when you dont have anyone there to show you how to do it frown

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I just got the reverse 3 beat grin Now, gotta work on turning with the weave and linking the weave more smoothly with other moves.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Nonsense, as someone that taught themself how to poi from some videos and a lot working it out on my own, I must say that the best option is to work out how you learn best.

I learned best by breaking down the components and looking at WHY things worked.

The 3 beat has components with both hands on top, so I learned the 2 beat with right hand on top, 2 beat with left hand on top, then put it together for the 3 beat.

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
^^^I learned the same way. Other than linear isolations, I understood completely how they worked and the entire concept, but I still have no understanding WHY it works, or what physically causes it to do that. It still confounds me as it just doesn't click.

cjgeislerGOLD Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
I just started Poi today actually. I bought a set at a festival a few days ago. I'm so super stoked. I started a few hours ago. I have a pretty extensive dance background and it reminds me a ton of Swing Dancing in ways. Here's what I got down today:

- Forward/Backward/Split-time Swinging
- Low and High turn
- Tuck turn
- Corkscrew

I can't wait until my arms and wrists are way comfortable with all these.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way.

2,280 posts

Posted:
That's great for one day. And with an extensive dance background will help a lot when you get a handle of the basics.

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
well, day 5 and I gotta say best 5 days I've had in a long time, here's my list

-Basic Modes (forward/backwards/opposites same/split time)
-Turns of all shapes and sizes as well as turning with moves I know
-Corkscrew/windmill 2 and 4bt as well as the "matrix" variation
-2/3/5bt weaves forwards backwards and of course with turns
-stalls (all except horizontal coming down, still having trouble with them) and sorta got isolations
-air wraps
-SPIRAL WRAPS and I love them, just got it earlier today
-kinda have triquetras(think that's what they're called, 3 petal flowers), working on anti-spin and just unlocking freedom of movement
-basic tosses, one of the first things I learned and learned on my own, I'm finding I use em quite a bit
-possibly other stuff, but I must go help cook din-rar and I can't recall the others

its been fun, I'm looking forward to the future and any advice on improving flexibility is welcome

thanks everyone, I love the community

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

cjgeislerGOLD Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I'm really excited about it all. I'm REEEEEALLLY confused about the low wave. Something is just really holding me back from going on.

I refuse to learn another move until I master the one I'm learning. The vidoe on here has a crazy angle.

Any suggestions?

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Improving flexibility will come as you expand your range of motion and use that space often. Also, stretching after you warm up will help before practicing end of range motions so you don't injure yourself. And as you use them more, your shoulders will slowly become conditioned to those positions and it will be like your not even stretching a little.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
At spin jam last night, I perfected turning with the 3bt, and mostly got spiral wraps (I can get them, but they need some work). Any advice on getting spiral wraps to unwrap? I was doing rather well with them last night and almost tried during my burn, but decided not to risk it.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

WaddellODiE-;)~
8 posts

Posted:
Beside the standard me and my friend just made one up at of the blue, try playing paddy-cake while spinning the poi, it is truly some funny stuff, especially when it smacked it up side his head, post back under the paddy-cake forum im goin to make

Travel a thousand miles in any direction and you will always find people with the same poi as us

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
fountain, buzzsaw plane split-time butterfly (so fun!). Suddenly the way poi move and how I have to move with them is just starting to click.

Transitioning between moves (without stalling) is still really bizarre to me though.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
4 petal flower turns (i assumed this was going to be difficult, but the first attempt i made fell into place)

and Alien Jon's funky flowers seen here:

"you have to imagine the impossible is merely preposterous"

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Just barely got ThreadTheNeedle down tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going guys. smile

Been trying to clean up my throws. Any suggestions?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
3 beat btb weave crossover (waistwrap) almost down. Since I've been stuck on this for so long, I'm very happy to have come this far.

as for throws... do you own clubs? I borrowed some, with good results. They're not as easy to catch, but they don't bend, which helped me learn how to avoid hitting my strings. Also, easier to clean than socks, which i've ruined with throw practice and grass.

DragonOnTheMoonSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Learned the 3 beat atomic weave on my third day of spinning poi in 45 minutes! Now if only I could spin behind my head straight =/

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going. smile

Still need to get around to atomics at some point. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Igneas TempestasGOLD Member
Just a few more minutes... zzzzz
16 posts

Posted:
FINALLY got my poi around orbitals! They've vexed me for a long time but after watching a very clear instructional vid on youtube, and an hour or so of beating the hell out of my knuckles, I can now pull them off cleanly.

With flowpoi they look the business too smile Need to ramp up the practice before I try it with fire!
EDITED_BY: Igneas Tempestas (1275927877)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have to kind of relearn them with my new chain from firemecca. It's kind of too grippy but I can still do them. Just not every time, actually not most of the time. I'm gonna try their 3mm chain next time I order from there. Along with proof coil chain, I want to try them all smile

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
I learned a lot tonight. Video and photography tomorrow is my next goal. Today marks: some complicated pendulum/stall turn combinations that I can't name, crosser extentions, butterfly double stalls, stall chasing, (clean) btb crossover, and (clean) orbitals. Stupid me, only put one swivel on my last HoP order. Useless.