Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup smile

Anyway, 4-beat BF weave both directions now. Now to get them split-time for proper 5bt BF weave craziness biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: elasta

that's ridiculous Duncan, you're just putting a random collection of words together and pretending it comes out with an amazingly complex and great looking move!

tongue actually it's just that I'm crap at explaining!! And I forgot to add "inverted" wink

It's almost like the butterfly split thingie move vid that rev just posted....only betterer (see I am crap at describing stuff!)

Maybe one day I'll be able afford a camera and actually learn to use my free web space so I can host the clips instead of craply describing them. Until then...I'll have to learn to be more desriptive. And besides, you know when you see it at BrizzleJC you'll be copying me tongue

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ChuckSnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Woo, Post number 1000, do I get a prize?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no, a smack for not writing about a new amove in the 1000th post spank tongue

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i got the extended confusatron yay biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
So does that mean you're now finally gonna post that video of it Mr B? Huh huh??

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
id been saving a move for the 1000th post on here. missed it though. forgotton what the move was to.

this one will do. forewards buzzsaw hyperloop from right side, double wrist wrap on right side, spin 180 to right, double wrist wrap on right, spin 180 to right , unwind extra twist that seems to acumulate somewhere along the line, repeat, till everything gets too sketchy, then come untangled.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
umm just learnt backward weave and turn... kinda illrelevent compared to the last post rolleyes

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
the only difference between the two is that his infection is worse wink
there are no moves, only time

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
ah but I feel the infection growing.. only been doing it two days and yet I feel the urge to do it constantly

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

So does that mean you're now finally gonna post that video of it Mr B? Huh huh??

nah ill get one of my evil robot minions to do it ..... when the finally work

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BūzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:
ok... I was messing around with a buzzsaw ( erm.. the move ) and I did somethin' Real Pretty. However I have no idea if it has a name or not.

basically its a very very simple move, you do a buzzsaw with your poi shortened and wrapped around your hand. then one hand unwraps the poi and swings on the outside, while the other hand is still spinning the shortened poi on the inside.
with fire or beaming poi, (from the side) it basically looks like one circle inside another.

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:

the 5 beat forward weave is mine! woop

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Some basic offset butterfly weaves, getting better at 4 and 5 beat butterfly weaves. And I'm actually getting better at BTB weaves and turning, something I've almost completely ignored since I was able to do them redface

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Maybe small, but the Overhead Butterfly and the reverse weave can kiss my ass!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

well on my way to the 423 variation i stole from matt hall.

sorted smile

its 423 but penguin catch the 4's and flourish the 2's.

juggle

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
found a nice new combination by accident (as usual)

start with c/w butterfly, go into TTN to throw the right poi under the left arm into a wibble catch/throw on the right forearm, it flips straight up and into the path of the left poi for a quality whip catch straight back into your hands. Lovely smile

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
crossed planes weave. or something. you kind of start from a buzzsaw weave, and do hand movements like a ttn, and you end up with something that looks like a weave and a ttn at the same time, just squashed together, with the planes perpendicular. then you can weave this crossed plane thing around in 90 degree steps, and if you stop at the 45 degree bits you get regular weave and butterflys. you can move the planes inside your arms, do buzzsaw weave cross arm weirdness and airwraps that could be doing anything, to be honest, as i havn't got around to counting anything in detail. it even works behind the back.

there was a bunch of other stuff i found first, that i couldnt think of a sensible way to describe, things like what would be a btb waistwrap if it didn't go inside instead of behind the back, err.. and what would be a windmill if it wasn't really a watermill, and something that joined that to a watermill, looking suspiciously like what a waistwrap would look like head on, and then something a bit like the last one but in butterfly, then a watermill that you split into hip reels and then into watermill btb (possibly, might be a btb wall plane buzzsaw type thing instead), then a kind of buzzsaw done in wall plane only using two transitions from the buzzsaw fountain, where each poi only goes under the other arm and over its arm. then an opened up buzzsaw that turned into a ttn and then the crossed planes 90 degree weave thing.

if none of this makes any sense, sorry. if it does, whats it called?

-ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I think you're talking about an atom weave... it's where the planes are perpendicular and it is a sort of cross between weave and TTN. I've been shown it a couple of times, but I could never remember quite how it goes wink

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Although saying that your buzzsaw weave and turn 45 degrees advice was good, think I've remember how it goes biggrin

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
making your poi shorter or longer via hand wraps while in buzzsaw hyperloops. - easier than you might possibly think, give it a go.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
bounce the reverse behind the back weave! yay!! bounce

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Omigod Lisa!! You have to show me how to do that one smile

Well done xx

Getting to the other side smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
423 with 4's as shoulder throws.

should have learnt that throw ages ago... rolleyes

shower around the shoulder looking okayish now too.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hat tricks left, right, centre, up, down, sideways.....

including but not limited to; 2 three hat starts, tortoisey things, the three hat cascade(with head), the three hat shower(with head)....

cole are these with clubs or balls?
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
balls.

tried learning that 423 with shoulder throws with clubs but its quite a different throw compared to shoulder throws with balls.

backcrosses are like that too.

whats a tortoisey thing (other than a turtle)?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
making it look like you have a comtinuous shell moving up your back onto your head; then about 50 variations with two or three hats, and/or an extra person(tree)(who incidentally left with kenn today to get married in the states smile )

been working reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally hard on the second 3 in 423(3) and making fun exits to the moves... mmmmm.
R

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

(tree)(who incidentally left with kenn today to get married in the states smile )

biggrin ubblove ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
575151 thanks to malcolm smile

and i caught 2-stage 3b pirouettes for the first time biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yay! i've been working a (84)00 where the 0's are both pirouettes, catching the 4 after the first....

double stage pirouettes are much nicer than singles. but get you dizzier. (can dizzy do them?)

incidentally, whats the name of the guy in the videopaedia of siteswaps you sent me?

hugs
R

Page: ......