Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I got my first set of poi on the 24th of April, just two days ago smile

Have learned butterflies, BTB butterflies, alternate butterflies, turning while forward spinning & backward spinning. Just pulled off a horribly planed 4-beat flower yesterday smile and criss-crossing weaves!

YAY! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
I Finally Got The 5 Beat!!!!!!!!!! wow

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
Got a couple of btb moves (stuff I can do in front of me). Butterfly and 3beat forward weave. Also (not sure if tese have names) can swap my top hand for front butterfly both by kepping it in front or going once behind.

I like my homemade socks

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Congrats, y'all. I just finished getting the hang of the 5 beat forward and reverse weaves. Unfortunately, I think I strained my wrist from the practice, so NOW I have to rest it. Talk about aggravating!

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I've nailed Icon's antispin reels, and been working on antispinning everything. I need to work some more on my isolated weave too.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Five beat butterfly weave for the win! I think it's forward, but it doesn't really matter with bfly weaves.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
This sounds so much cooler than it probably is wink
I got the..

Atomic Isolated Intersecting Butterfly

\o/

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

dreadhead666newbie
5 posts

Posted:
i nailed the btb reverse 3 beat weave the other week... was quite random. Id watched a video about 4 months previus but never attempted it. Then i was just sitting talking to my mate and suddenyl it popped into my head 'I KNOW HOW TO DO IT! GIVE ME MY POI!' so i started... after 5mins.. i had it down. really random. Tried it for the first time with fire last week, not too bad but i only managed it for a short time... more practice!

After that i nailed a split time hip and shoulder reels.. i coudlnt get the timing at all. Then spinning randomly in the park i got a 360 3bt weave so then my friend goes ooo FOUNTAIN... so i did that... kinda got isolations but find them far easier with sock poi than the normal tails / string combo...

at the mo I'm trying to work on turns every which way, 180's 360's etc... all at different parts of my body and with different moves.

Nick woosley has inspired me after watching the scales of poi dvd. Must admit even though the concept is very simple, it is probably a little to advanced for me atm! but the 8 variations and 64 combinations thing got me thiking so its definately something to work on with moves i already know.

I've tried the 5bt and i cannot get it for the life of me... not too bothered about really complicated tricks.. if it flows with what im already doing then i'll be bothered. I can stand all this, 'twists your wrists till they break' bollox... basically, if i can't do it with fire.. im not learning it. Call me small minded but i love performing with fire and my fabric poi are simply there for practice.

If theres any moves out there that arnt too complex but a little more advanced please let me know. I'm stuck on a learning curve atm and have no idea what to add to my repetoire.

sorry for the big post... i ramble lots and lots

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i did the same ting when i lernt 3bt btb, its cool, and your right about 5 bt.

I gots a handle on, hybrid flowers, 1 plane polytime goofy fountain and the same in two planes (i cant be assed explaining it yet)

trying to do parrelel antispin reels but with a behind the hed transition... hurts.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dreadhead666

I've tried the 5bt and i cannot get it for the life of me... not too bothered about really complicated tricks.. if it flows with what im already doing then i'll be bothered. I can stand all this, 'twists your wrists till they break' bollox... basically, if i can't do it with fire.. im not learning it. Call me small minded but i love performing with fire and my fabric poi are simply there for practice.

If theres any moves out there that arnt too complex but a little more advanced please let me know. I'm stuck on a learning curve atm and have no idea what to add to my repetoire.

sorry for the big post... i ramble lots and lots

I would keep at the 5-bt. Its really not as arm-wrenching as it seems. The trick is more in learning to twist at the hips, instead of forcing your arms to do all the work.

It could totally fit in with your regular routines. And as you are already practicing turns 180, 360, etc, learning to transition from forward to reverse 5-bt will come very quickly for you.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i think i almost have the btb reverse weave, it only took a year and a half

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
reverse weave is coming along ok for me right now. Its a heck of a lot easier than the forward btb weave. But I havent gotten the concept of how to jump up to the 3-bt and 5bt btb weaves.

btw, since having gotten online and found all these helpful tutorials here and elsewhere I have picked up the 3bt, 5bt forward and reverse weaves, TTTN, btb weave, and realized that I actually knew some moves but not their names: Corkscrew, Windmill, Butterfly, and the 180 and 360 weaves.

So big up to all of HoP and the entire spinning community! You all have release a floodgate in my mind. Im spinning like I couldn't believe.

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
watch Kill Bill - Learnt neck wraps! Much more fun than I thought they'd be. Any advice on how to pull off a double neck wrap would be much appreciated

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
watched Kill Bill, I mean

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

3,556 posts

Posted:
got the btb rev weave, still hitting myself, but definitely got it, and got the onehanded butterfly but my question is can you do it split time while holding it in one hand? and can you go from regular to split while doing one handed?
guess work on reverse ttn and split ttn and foward btb weave

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Split-time one-handed butterfly? T'would look cool, but if it is possible I imagine it would require some very odd hand movements, instead of a hand-shake gesture... ubbidea

What is fun, if you are a bit pants like me, is doing the butterfly one handed and then sticking out your leg so both the poi wrap around it.

Then pull them up again so that they unravel from around your leg (still held in one hand) and continue the one-handed butterfly... though the pattern will be upside down now. biggrin

You can wrap them again, or you can just try and come out of it - keeping in mind your poi will be spinning backwards.

Embarrassingly, I still need to nail a standard 3-bt reverse weave myself. ubblol My body just keeps telling me to turn...

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

3,556 posts

Posted:
I would always add an extra loop so it would end up in the right direction

Faith

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
Youtube tutorials are love.

I think I've figured out the idea behind flowers.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Ok, I know I keep coming back here but I am like a kid in a candy store. :P

I just managed to learn and smooth out both the forward and anti-spin buzzsaw moves and barrel rolls.

I think these are my favorite moves too as its this blended mixture of weaves and isolations together.

And yet.....I still cant do fountains or the crosser. rolleyes

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I think I have mastered all the basics. biggrin
F.Weave
B.Weave
Overhead Wave
Corkscrew
Fountain
Butterfly
BTB Butterfly
Overhead Butterfly
One-handed BF
Alternate BF
Threading the needle
Reverse threading the needle
Buzzsaw
Wraps
Islotaions
BTB Forwards Weave
Flowers
Hitting myself in the nuts
Stops/Stalls

Need to learn 5beats, BTB Reverse Weave, and goddamn Hyperloops!!

And of course everything else. tongue

I'm happy I picked up the poi again!
But you know, staff still owns. wink

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

Hitting myself in the nuts

I'm glad that's one move I'll never get to learn.

AltamiraSILVER Member
totally irefixable
9 posts

Posted:
SOME1 HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!
ive been learning since crimbo and i got quite a few moves under my belt now. BUT!!! i can not in any way shape of form get the friggin bww (3 beat) and i ahve been trying for months!!!!! fowards is a piece of pee, i must know the move in my head inside out but to put it in practise not a chance!!!!!
Any1 got any suggestions???

Look at the world properly and you are surrounded by beauty

3,556 posts

Posted:
take away the poi and get some sticks
now visualize and do it slowly
there is also a bunch of threads with more advice too

mcalpine: how'd you learn foward btb weave and not reverse
you have me on the reverse ttn, but I got you on hyperloops

it's not a new move, but I DID FIREbouncebouncebouncebounce *runs away*

Faith

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hyperloops are one massive mystery to me. confused Even with socks!

As for how I got the BTB Forwards weave before the BtB Reverse Weave... I have no idea frown But I can't do reverse for the life of me.

*Sobs*

Hey, Faithin, out of curiosity - have you done fire yet? ubblol

You beat me on that too, poi-wise.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
I can't do reverse either. Forward is so easy for me btb (I think I can do it better back there than in front of me).

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
thanks to durbs I can now do buzzsaw fountain and buzzsaw anti-spin takeouts

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

3,556 posts

Posted:
got the reverse ttn, no fowards btb yet

Faith

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Poi throwed backward through snag.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna say "I got it" - but I really mean I can do it around ten times in a row before mucking it up. smile But that counts in my book!

I can do Hyperloops within a Weave!! biggrin
(Whatever that's called, I've forgotten. Probably just a Weave Hyperloop.)

Still not BTB Reverse though. ubblol
I should really get on that.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I figured out how to start a butterfly with one hand and then it took all of 30 seconds to figure out the other hand so now i can do 2 butterflys at once.

You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure that out and now that i have I'm so happy.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Page: ......