• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Paddington Bear
SILVER Member since Jan 2010

Total posts: 118
Posted:got one handed butterfly and the backwards weave tonight smile
also made a pair of sock poi which are abit more forgiving and less likely to tangle. oh and the outwards butterfly smile

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

brenonfire413
SILVER Member since Dec 2009

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Total posts: 514
Posted:Good job! Isn't the one handed butterfly so much fun? tongue2

I just discovered, and I don't know the name of this trick, a butterfly turn maybe? Anyways you do the butterfly in one direction, when the poi swing outwards it allows you to pivot 180 and switch to the reverse. This also seems to work one handed. Having lots of fun with it!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

freeskierpj

freeskierpj

stranger

Total posts: 14
Posted:Finally got a 3 beat weave!!! Oh my god I've literally spent easily 15 hours just trying to do it and it always either was a 2 beat or got tangled but something just clicked this morning and I can't do it wrong (I can't do it well either but hey that's what practice is for laugh3 )

Delete

brenonfire413

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Posted:Fifteen hours? Thank god, I'm not the only person that spent forever on that trick! tongue2 It's a really fun trick once you nail it and after that I find it to be kind of meditative because you can just keep going and rolling your arms back and forth! Now have fun with the reverse...

Delete

freeskierpj

freeskierpj

stranger

Total posts: 14
Posted:Yea literally it's been about two weeks since I started and every day I've spent about an hour if not a little more working on just 3 beats simply because I couldn't get them and it was frustrating me (I tend to have some perfectionist tendencies smile but now that that's done it's on to perfecting it along with doing some windmills/butterflies because I still can't even start to wrap my head around reverse weaves laugh3

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
GOLD Member since Oct 2009

SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Total posts: 2280
Posted:Hey, the three beat weave took me three days tongue2

I was the most uncoordinated man ever before poi laugh3

And brenon, I think what you are talking about is my favorite named move. The Pacman Twist grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Seaspray

Seaspray

stranger by the day

Total posts: 924
Posted:Reverse 3-beat weave can be easy to learn. If you turn to face the other direction while weaving, the poi kinda naturally go into reverse weave

And yeah, it took me forever to work out 3-beat weave and more than a few ... unfortunate misses to the groin.. took me actually seeing someone do the trick in person to get it

Just a dancer in the dark

Delete

brenonfire413

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Posted:SoD, you mean the butterfly twist thingie? Cool I didn't know the name, thanks!
Now I'm having that level of frustration on the btb 3 beat. I've been trying a little bit every time I spin and still haven't had much progress. So far I've gotten really good at smacking the back of my calves or right in the back of my neck, but I think that's a different trick. Speaking of I'll give that another shot here in a few...

EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1265774212)

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:I got a lot of stuff down pretty fast, but the btb weave (and most other btb things) I'm still terrible at--and I started being able to do it like 3 months ago. It's really annoying, and I know skilled spinners who took almost a year to figure it out, so you wouldn't be alone.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

KittehRaver
SILVER Member since Jan 2010

=^,-,^=

Total posts: 35
Posted:Learned Reverse 2 beat weave by accident haha. Learning 5 beat forward weave and btb 3 beat weave right now. Also learned oth butterfly switching from front to back.

I'm the resident Vampyre Kitteh!
NYAH!

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:I never actually learned 2beat weaves.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I think you have a goal there lol

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Originally Posted By: brenonfire413SoD, you mean the butterfly twist thingie? Cool I didn't know the name, thanks!
Now I'm having that level of frustration on the btb 3 beat. I've been trying a little bit every time I spin and still haven't had much progress. So far I've gotten really good at smacking the back of my calves or right in the back of my neck, but I think that's a different trick. Speaking of I'll give that another shot here in a few...
It took me like a month to get btb 3 beat down. Plenty of bruises on my legs to go with it. Then waistwraps took me about another month after first practicing it to get that, and even then I couldn't continuously do it. But now btb is just as coordinated as in front of me grin

And after that, you get to get the frustration and ultimate satisfaction of learning under the legs, which I'm still working a little at a time on doing that all in reverse under my legs.

And the butterfly twisty thingy? Yes that's the Pacman Twist, I love that name grin I want to see it don with fire snakes, then it would actually look like Pacman laugh3

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:Originally Posted By: astonI never actually learned 2beat weaves.

Nor did I, at first. I sorta went back and learned them later, though I can't say it's paid off for much. Though Nick Woolsey thinks highly of them for some reason, so I'll trust that they'll come in handy some day.

EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1265818272)
EDIT_REASON: Fixing silly wording

Delete

brenonfire413

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit
It took me like a month to get btb 3 beat down. Plenty of bruises on my legs to go with it. Then waistwraps took me about another month after first practicing it to get that, and even then I couldn't continuously do it. But now btb is just as coordinated as in front of me grin

And after that, you get to get the frustration and ultimate satisfaction of learning under the legs, which I'm still working a little at a time on doing that all in reverse under my legs.

And the butterfly twisty thingy? Yes that's the Pacman Twist, I love that name grin I want to see it don with fire snakes, then it would actually look like Pacman laugh3

Waistwraps, meltdowns, etc. are the ultimate goal. I'll give it some more practice tody.

I've been working on my spiral wrap a lot and that's coming out better!

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Meltdowns are a bit of a mindtwister as I found them to be.

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:I can do them. Just never bothered learning them. Just found I could do them all one day when teaching someone a three beat.

Two beats are fun for flow, since there are few limits to where you can put them. Also, you can seperate them nicely with one on one side of you body and the other doing something arb.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I'm actually working on doing a hyperloop while in an uta crosser. I can sometimes do it.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Splittime butterfly staggered stalls, you are MINE! Thanks to Derek for letting me wrap my head around it, very surprisingly, I needed no practice.

Here's his video for you wink

Delete

brenonfire413

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Posted:Alright guys, today is the freaking day. I vow to get one direction of the btb 3beat weave going today! Haven't messed with it too much seriously aside from getting each hands motion down. But this is it, I draw my line in the sand!

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Ok, I got all of these kind of clean now, still don't trust me doin the first one with fire though.

Man those were hard to learn

Delete

brenonfire413

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Posted:Oh, BTW, after an ongoing duel that's lasted over twenty hours total I finally did conquer the btb 3 beat weave. It was an epic struggle, but I chopped off it's head and sent it back to it's crying wives and children. My ankles are hating me though, they're still sore! I still need to polish it quite a bit and I still suck at the forwards btb, so it's still not complete...

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:that 'tis be true when learning btb.You make me reminisce on all my pain tongue2

Delete

Teamo
GOLD Member since Dec 2009

Teamo

Almost again

Total posts: 124
Posted:It's been long since I last updated this, but just do recap what I've most recently learned over the past week.. Got more familiar with Zan's diamond and learned to go through it in all the modes, plus the one Drex showed in last week's blog where the timing changes.. And I got down wallplane meltdowns in all the modes, which is a great victory.

Delete

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:well i actually found out you can do a 2 beat butterfly weave yesterday

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:i officially just learned the wiggle!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:I have never heard of "the wiggle".

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:The term is from Michal Kahn's Poi Spinning (at least that's where I first saw it).

It's an extended split time butterfly reel: you kinda wiggle (more of a twist really) as you do it. Fun. smile

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Wow.... There is one I have not heard in years.

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:It was the first thing I learnt where my left hand wasn't just following my right: a big step.

It's also one of the things that a lay audience likes if you do it with light / fire, because of the way the poi seem to be all 'round you.

So yay! Well done Midkiff!

Delete