Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonMebbe split time??

This is what I was thinking as well. Not come across it before.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

HeffeHeffeHeffeSpinners United Leader
29 posts

Posted:
yea its the same thing as split time just different termanology depending on where you live i bounce between boths terms for different moves and for teaching begginers split time makes more sence then off beat so it works at different times

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
It's been a good while since I've posted on here, and I've learned quite a bit since then.

In spin forward and reverse flowers and turning between them
Anti spin forward and reverse flowers (can't turn with these yet)
Butterfly flowers (haven't gotten the turning down with these either)
Anti spin and in spin wall plane flowers
Turning with caps (still needs a little work)
Triquetra
Turning with both arms extended
Butterfly wraps
Same direction linear extensions with a crank isolation in the middle
Elliptical assembly patterns
Under the legs turns
Isolated buzzsaw
Buzzsaw fountain
Buzzsaw weave (also called a Not Coleman 3, I think)
Butterfly weave and turning with it
Isolation vs. extension hybrids forward and reverse
different stall patterns

Poi spinning has pretty much taken over most of my other hobbies. :3 I've learned so much in the seven months I've been spinning.

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Aston, what are stall switches?

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
They have a couple names, I think, but that is the one Drex seems to favour though.

A variation is shown in this video:

as part of the first trick he talks about.
And I think that the normal version is shown here:

There are a number of ways to vary them though. In any case, the normal version involves a down stall on one side of the body and the other poi pulls it over, going over your head with the poi head leading.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Ah, thanks a lot. smile

As shown in Drex's 49th blog, I know the "hybrid stall switch" as a "stall chaser." I learned it a few days ago, actually. I really like how good he is at plane breaking and plane shifting. I'm off to play. grin

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FGPcKjVZ0
and

have some more variations, this time by Alien Jon. Actually, these are worth watching anyway. smile

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
You were right! smile They were definitely worth watching and probably many more times in the future. I was watching them on an iPhone, and along with the echo, they were a little hard to hear but still very nice. They inspired me to work on body tracers and snakes today.

I do have one question though, if you don't mind taking the time to answer. This is probably very silly sounding since it appears as though it should be obvious but I figured I'd ask anyway. Are all body tracers done by tracing your hand/handle of your poi along the length on your body? If I traced my hand down my leg with the poi spinning around that leg, would that be a body tracer?

Anyway, I learned three moves today: a weave body tracer, turning with snakes, and turning with butterfly flowers. smile

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
As I understand it, that would still be a body tracer.

A fun one is to go down one leg, up between them, down between them and up the other. The thing with leg tracers is that they tend to be harder to get into your flow smoothly.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I tried the leg tracers and I think I need a cup. I ended up racking myself. >:O I do not think I will try those again for awhile. Haha.

I finally learned butterfly crossers earlier today. It only took about five minutes. I had tried it a few months ago and could not get it for the life of me so I gave up, only to discover that it's extremely easy now. XD

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
That is how I learned TTN. Tried a couple times, failed dismally, gave up. Tried a couple months later and had no problem. Which is why teaching it was tricky. tongue2

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If you aren't smacking yourself in the balls/eye ball while doing poi every now and then, then you aren't doing it right! grin

hug

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
That is very true! XD I racked myself so many times as a beginner that I actually stuffed my pants with a few pairs of socks to protect my balls. I bet I looked hilarious! Hehe. It very rarely happens now though, fortunately. tongue2

Question everything.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Triquetra! Yahoooo! I am on top of the world right now grin

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Awesome, droid. Now learn it with the other hand doing the triquetra and you can transition between them. If you learned it starting out in a forwards butterfly, learn it reverse too! smile

Question everything.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to work on tightening up the planes and becoming more comfortable with the range of motion over the next couple days and then I'll be hitting the transition and reverse. The triquetra had been my big goal since I first started playing and to get it feels almost too good to be true. smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well done!

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks aston smile Learned the anti-spin wallplane flower tonight. Can't wait to get up tomorrow and smooth out the kinks.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
At risk of sounding really cruel, which one?

tongue2

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Oh geez my bad! Uhh I'm not sure of the exact terminology for it. Split-time with both poi rotating toward the center line (same motion as regular butterfly). https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Anti-Spin-Wall-Plane-Flower-3_18_268

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
butterfly crossers... hmm, hadn't thought of that. I just learned regular crossers the other (in much the same manner as you guys described - i.e. try it, give up, wait a few months, do it effortlessly) so maybe I'll give that a shot.

I say maybe because wheel plane antispin flowers are taking up all my practice time right now. I can do them... but not well, and not backwards, and not turning. heh.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Droid: Nice work. For the record, there are 16 basic ones (in theory, in practice your arms can not move through each other [though it does hold for side-plane flowers]). And you can make some variations happen as well.

HeffeHeffeHeffeSpinners United Leader
29 posts

Posted:
i havent spun in like 3 months it makes me sad =[, and i have no real reason i just dont feel motivated anymore i guess. everytime i tryt o learn something i new i start and in a matter of seconds i get bored =\ i did pick up juggling and hacky sack though which is easy to do in the middle of class then spinning balls lol. i am also beginning to glove now since my school is lame and wont let me do anything fun for more then 5 minutes in the hall i figured id start gloving so then they cant say anything about it because my fingers arent going to fly away and hurt anyone.....atleast i hope they wont.......

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I've had a huge poi breakthrough in the last few days! I was suffering from pretty bad insomnia two nights ago, so I decided to pick up my poi and meditate with them. I had the music off for about an hour while I spun. I did some deep breathing and got myself completely relaxed. I made sure my mind was completely clear and focused on the poi and movement of my body. I spun very slowly and ended up figuring out a lot of moves and perfecting many of the ones I didn't have fully down yet. I ended up spinning for about three hours (the last two with music).

Now I can do forwards and reverse extension vs. isolation hybrids (hand vs. poi and hand vs. hand) effortlessly and switch between them while every now and again throwing in isolated buzzsaws. I also learned the hybrid weave, though it does need some work. I feel like my isolations are almost perfect now and my planes are a lot straighter.

I learned the crosser with one arm behind the back in one try (same direction and opposite direction).

I can turn with butterfly flowers fairly well now and I finally have the hybrid extension vs. anti spin wheel plane flower down. I can also turn with anti spin wheel plane flowers, but it definitely needs work.

Butterfly anti spin flowers in wall plane is another thing I finally got down and in just a few tries too.

This is excellent for just one session, I think. ^_^ Turning and good footwork has started to become really easy for me thanks to that night. I think a moving meditation with poi and spinning very slowly is key to learning moves extremely fast. Try it! I think I'm going to start doing it once or twice a week from now on.

Just today, with a thirty minute session, I can do the meltdown! I think I'll be having another one of these sessions with Zan's Diamond later today. grin

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I forgot to mention this, but I can also turn with isolated buzzsaws and I've almost perfected an isolated buzzsaw fountain. I'm extremely happy with my poi spinning right now. grin

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice work!

KukikoiBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I literally just learned the 3 Beat Weave 180 (also known as linking the weaves) on Monday. This move was giving me trouble for ages, which I found really frustrating as I tend to learn most moves within half an hour at most.

My problem was simple; because I was busy watching tutorial videos, I wasn't turning. That's all I needed to do; turn. Can't believe how stupidly easy this move is. XD

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Bwahahaha! That is all.

(Also, well done.)

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Crossers, forward and reverse BTB 3-beat weaves, and 2-beat waist wraps are all in the bag grin

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Mind meltdown smile