Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
double staff!!! biggrin

no idea what moves i was doing though. it was the first time i picked them up so i just started doing some poi moves and hey, it worked.

guess who's getting doubles for xmas biggrin cool biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
not if i have anything to do with it

*mumbles about how the older ones are learing do fast these days*

anyway, get out of here, this is a poi forum

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol

(ado-p is mad jealous ubblol)

tongue

i looked for "i just learned a new move" in the staff forum but didn't see one......shrug

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
ubblol And she looked sooo graceful!!

"I see," said the blind man.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

BFSnake turn(double) smile,
Isolated wrist contact buzzsaw(double),

recomend 4 of 5 spinners smile

Enjoy:)

POI THEO(R)IST

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
5beat ttn...forward and reverse, in one day none the less. all the thanks in the world go out to dantana...everytime i meet this guy i learn like 5 new moves just by watching him and then he goes and explains things and gives me ideas for like 10 more! oh yea and damn him for his iso bf nexus thing...that just pisses me off. smile

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Horazontal Plane Flowers? Err...spin around with your arms out keeping the poi spinning vertilcly at right angles to a fixed plane.

and....
And almost got Giant Windmill one way. Getting smother every day biggrin bounce

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
It might be a new trick, forwards, it goes right hand over left hand and left hand over right hand. 3 beat weave. This is scary. It's the crossover move from the 5 beat into the opposite crossover with no regular weave.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
NEW TRICK Forwards weave, with hands mimmicking the backwards weave. forwards weave with Right hand over left hand to left hand over right hand and repeat. ADVANCED PEEPS READ THIS- If you learn this weave forawrds you can do a 3 beat and a 5 beat waeve in a row on one side of your body, and and carry your right hand over left on changover and do it again. Pretty sure that this is a 7 weave with no wrap because I do a 3 weave into a 5 weave on each side of me before I switch an do both on the other side of me. Did I come up with this or what. So If I do a 3 weave inside my arms and then do a 7 weave with 1 wrap what am I doing??? I also can do Air wraps like a mofo recently. Try to unwind it over your head, it's a different trick. I will try to buy some crap, aka GLO poi. so I can show yall a 3+5 weave on the right to a 3 weave to airwrap. I love this place, I Live in AShland ORegon, I practice every day. I have been spinning poi for 3 weeks. I love everyone here you have helped me out so I am sharing the weird 3 weave in hopes that yall will destroy ten times harder.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

infraBRONZE Member
29 posts
Location: Texas(now), Scotland / Northern Italy (usually in ...

Posted:
Cool! I can now finally do the btb weave. (I am assuming all those "btb"s I have been seeing stand for Behind The Back... heh)..

So I just finished eating some scones and jam and decided to give it a whirl and 10 minutes later >POOF< it all lines up... I would like to thank HoP for supplying the video clips I watched to see the mechanics/positioning of the trick! I was not making any progress on my own... And now for the btb 5beat thingy.

hello?

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
more doubles stuff biggrin

i don't have a clue about staff terminology. must start reading more in the staff section..... rolleyes

right, what i can do so far is sort of like (with poi) a split butterfly variation - low wave, mexican wave type of thing in the front and back wall plane. can also do it with an extra rotation at the front with some sort of snakey type thing thrown in.

could only do this on sunday from the forwards figure of eight move. now i can also do it in reverse. AND get the extra snakey bit in, but this time the extra spin is behind my back. i can do this one same time and split time. same time's a bit iffy though coz my practise staffs are a bit long i think.

then there was also this other cool thing where it's like you're spinning a reverse 2bt (poi) in parallel side planes, eh.... lets say two reverse figures of eight, in split time, arms stretched out in front, so that one staff is on the outside and one is inverted, and then the other one is on the outside and the other one is inverted... and so on and so forth...... no idea what this looks like but it feels like it has the potential to look/feel nice with a bit of practise biggrin

none of that makes any sense to anyone but me so i'll shut up now until i can speak the lingo..... redface

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
two bt barrel roll crossed arm thing, that Nx taught oli and he taught me. It's kinda pointless but still kool.

Some one poi contact, had lots of fun with this making some cool patterns and stuff. Handcuff wraps, leg/shoulder/arm/neck passes and all sorts. Now I have lots to keep me entertained when one poi flys outta my hand biggrin

Improved my vertical propellors lots & horizontal propellors are better now too. Way more consistent and flowy. Lots of single poi contact (one spinning, one contacting) mid spin like exagerated suicides, leg rolls and what not. Has been a good week/weekend.

Oli taught me some other stuff too but I forgot what it was, I just remember going "Cool, I'm gonna learn that properly" and then forgot rolleyes stoner wink peace

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
One of these days I'll actually get to meet you and oli and plunder, I mean learn, your moves wink

Anyway spent last night playing with atomic hyps more. Starting to work out how each of the 8 entries affect what you can do and how the various tangles move. Also starting to get direction changing atomic hyperloops, but they require some fancy timing I've not quite got down yet.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
lovely lovely weird inverted weave things... you can pretty much make any beat you like go between the arms and the body instead of going where it normally would, and without the other one following it in... to the point where a weave with normal 5bt transitions has 4 beats inside and 5 outside, on each side.
and you can do a 5bt with each poi staying inside for one transition and then outside for the other, the left one's inside for the left to right, and the right ones inside for right to left, and they still do 2 beats on the same side, 3 on the crossed...
and you can do a no elbow 9 where all the difficult bits get moved inside where they're easier, by transitioning where you'd transition for a 7 but to the inside instead.
and you can drop in buzzsaw and buzzsaw inverts and watermills and reverse is even nicer...

--ben

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
all right. that's it.
I WANNA GO TO ENGLAND!!!!!!!
you guys better stop, you're making life very frustrating for me. moving atomic airwraps? inside 9 beats? why am i not there playing with you?!?!?! these are too much fun to do alone.
piss off. just piss off.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
split time ttn's that go all inverted on either end. and 2 and 3 beat ttns that go inside-outside-inside-outside. and offset versions of same...

arashi man, soon as i can afford it i'm coming to austin...

--ben

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
^^ i call that family the 'longarm exverse buttersaws'.

okay, I just invented that name. wink whatever.

they fall off the sides of the full inverse TTN if you turn your body 90 degrees and line up into 'buzzsaw' plane. (your arms are inside, crossed longarm, the poi is outside making buzzsaws-butterflys). you can also just make a buzzsaw-bflys off to the side of a regular bfly weave and push the arms through the planes to cross-longarm position. there's a whole family of transistions in there, I think!

oh, and the first time i got 'the buttersaw weave', I nearly shat my pants. can I say shat here?

anyone got a digi-cam in the Nashville, TN area?

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1100658762)

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
oh. my actual new moves are BTH bfly weave and the beginnings of isolations. i've got a few beats continuous of buzzsaw both directions and the outsides and insides of the 3beat iso-weave, but I'm struggling on keeping both going together...

err. the insides and the outsides together.. not the BTH bflys and isolations... not yet.

-- dut

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Various negative space silliness, and even sillier thru-wraps where you start on one leg with the other one folded so your foot is near your arse - floor plane off of leg, wall plane off of ankle with 180 degree turns and so on. Absolutely stupid looking! ubblol

And hyperlooped comb-overs aka "the toupee".

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

One of these days I'll actually get to meet you and oli and plunder, I mean learn, your moves wink

And very much a big ditto there dude biggrin Those changing direction atomics sound cool as phuk, maybe one day I'll have the plane control to start doing normal ones!!

ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ah but remember the secret... hyperloops are all about breaking perfect planes - so you don't need to have them in the first place ubblol

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
so check this out, i dont know if it was because of my MONTHS of extreme frustion and loads of help from this site or if my friend is just natrualy gifted...but i just taught him how to do a standard 3bt weave in 5 min. i was quite amazed at this learning ablitly.

all i gotta say is that its all about the droping the poi, slowing it down, and learning one hand at a time.

so im thinking ill do that with all my moves from now on and learn them in 5 min like i did my 5 bt ttn's.

oh yea almost got the 5 bt bf weave...still kinda slopy...i love when i get to practice with dantana and he shows me all sorts of new stuff that i know how to do just havent put them together yet.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i havnt learnt anything smile

*walks away, picks up poi, learns something*

ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Atomic reels, both 90 and 180 degree versions. Definitely worth learning if you want to do atomics cleanly!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
270 is weird same as 90 the other way but more dizzzy/

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Surely 270 requires a carry in the middle - you can't go straight into it?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
is there an official thread for "I just forgot another move"?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Surely 270 requires a carry in the middle - you can't go straight into it?

very possibly.. i dont really know what im talking about. gotta go eat some soup now.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
LOL @ Flid

btb wallplane tangles.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti