Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
So, doing a butterfly, keep one still and do a big circle with the other (Full arm extension)

When you get back to your starting position, keep the one that was doing the extension still and do an extension with the other.

A polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

hug

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
ohhh, sounds good. i has to try this

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonA polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

Do you have to speed it up? I found it was a natural polyrhythm with the smaller poi doing two revolutions while the extension did one. You can keep that going indefinitely, but the switch from one hand to the other doing the extension is cool.

I can try get a video up over the weekend if you are still lost.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you're quite right, aston, since the larger one has to travel further, the smaller one will naturally do extra revolutions to the larger one.

I tend to explain it through "speeding it up" since thats what it feels like and tends to click with people, but I should have included both descriptions, to help people who would grasp it better that way.

Though, there will need to be a timing alteration if you're going to be doing a 2/3 alternating pattern.

Is that video coleman made still bouncing around???

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1289365902)

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not sure I ever saw a video on polyrhythms. Never really gotten the hang of them, apart from a few natural ones.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
polyrhythms are kinda difficult it took me a week to learn how to dow a 3 petal antispin with a 2 petal spin polyrhythm flower but it looks pretty gnarly but the main problem i had was arm timing you just really have to pay lots of attention to the timing of your arms and poi
EDITED_BY: Midkiff (1289426414)
EDIT_REASON: forgot something

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Aaron_DuffPLATINUM Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
kk I believe I found a better way to ask my question about what the name of what I'm trying to do is, if it is anything at all. Describing stuff in text is a little difficult when you don't know the names of half the stuff to start with tongue2
Link to Youtube Poi Question

mew!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonNot sure I ever saw a video on polyrhythms. Never really gotten the hang of them, apart from a few natural ones.

Charlie's 9 square stuff was all about polyrhythms, but sadly he seems to have taken down his 9 square content in favor of his "quantum field theory" (which I think is actually more a graph-theoretic representation of poi movement).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pretty much. The idea there is to write a simulator. wink

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonSo, doing a butterfly, keep one still and do a big circle with the other (Full arm extension)

When you get back to your starting position, keep the one that was doing the extension still and do an extension with the other.

A polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonYeah, you're quite right, aston, since the larger one has to travel further, the smaller one will naturally do extra revolutions to the larger one.

I tend to explain it through "speeding it up" since thats what it feels like and tends to click with people, but I should have included both descriptions, to help people who would grasp it better that way.

Though, there will need to be a timing alteration if you're going to be doing a 2/3 alternating pattern.

Is that video coleman made still bouncing around???

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I never even thought of trying to play around with that!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also very nice is doing that with both poi going in the same direction. Altering where the static spin is also gives very different feelings. Not sure they look much different though.

AtrumBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
im really excitedabout just learning the necr wrap to be honest, i was messing around with a meteor setup and it just sorta happend, then i tryed it again in my room, after quite a few tries and a black eye, i figured it out again and can now do it consistantly ^_^

also, has anyone ever heard of/ done a butterfly weave?
i was messing around with weaves one day and decided to weave in butterfly. needless to say it failed quite a bit but i figured it out and use it whenever i preform for people who are trying to figure out how my spinning works. just to throw them off wink

basically, right foreward, left backward, and you weave just like you would a normale foreward 3 beat.. if anyone wants i can dig up a camera and post a video up on youtube..

"what are those things in the sky?"
"those? well those are stars, and if you look at them to long they will eat your soul"

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I've been learning handle changes with glowsticks. SUPER FUN grin Although I hate those counter-weighted throws.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Under the leg windmill
Btb buzzsaw turns improving
As are btb 3bt turns
switching the poi between hands is pure gold

However the btb crossers is proving to be my Stalingrad: the time and physical toll far exceeding previous notions. I've pulled muscles and chipped a friggin' tooth because of that move. I've learned dozens more moves or variations of existing patterns in that time and still success in that one area is being achieved at such a high price.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I love btb crossers!!! When you get that you should learn btb crosser meltdown. You should probably learn crosser meltdown first.

Still getting better at straightjackets, hopefully I'll get the meltdown that I do with crossers with straghtjackets.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I can do them now for a few beats on each side but either have to transition or will most likely hit myself on the calves. I'm not yet to the point where it can be sustained much longer. It is definitely a lesson in patience!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

JoshDGnewbie
49 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Atrum basically, right foreward, left backward, and you weave just like you would a normale foreward 3 beat.. if anyone wants i can dig up a camera and post a video up on youtube..

Ummm yes please! I'm intrigued beyond beleif...belief... :S Eugh I'm tired. I can't seem to picture what the hell is going on in that description but that's just me lol.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
and after you learn the butterfly weave you can also do a butterfly fountain type thing thats on wall plane

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Fco. Martinez FdMore Fire !!! aqui en Costa Rica Pura Vida
4 posts
Location: Casa 343 - Alameda 6A, Dos Cercas, Desamparados, S...

Posted:
I have several problems to learn the 5 wave move --- I really like to watch Yuta's videos online... I would like to know if I need to wait in order to learn from those videos??

Jose Francisco Martinez Fdez.
San Jose, Costa Rica

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Can you do a 3 beat weave? Because if so you can do a five.

And no, you do not need to wait to learn from Yuta. Just remember to keep on working on the basics of plane-control as you do.

MusicalTNTSILVER Member
Womp Womp Womp
14 posts

Posted:
Just got my flowlights this past weekend, and started basic spinning stuff.

I can now...spin grin

~I am makes muzaks~

1020bennySouthern Spinner
13 posts

Posted:
i love hugs. ::))

-I'm so Psily ::))

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
This thread is seriously deceptive... "Beginner Poi" ... Lies, all lies tongue2

I'm still really new to poi, have been spinning for a whole 5 weeks... So my "new move" is thread the needle grin I almost squeeked when I got it right without them getting tangled *blushes*

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Go Ash3s! TTN was a big step for me too. smile

You're right - most of the moves discussed in this thread are no where near beginner: it's been a while since HOP had a group of newbies and peeps have just kept on posting in here as they learned.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Took me a lot longer than 5 weeks. wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
I just found out I can do an 8bt corkscrew laugh3

1020bennySouthern Spinner
13 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI've been learning handle changes with glowsticks. SUPER FUN grin Although I hate those counter-weighted throws.
i definitely want to learn more handles. I've dabbled, but i've seen some people make it look amazing.

-I'm so Psily ::))

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
*bounces in*

Ok... so this is a really simple move for the rest of you guys, but I finally got my head around (and I'm not sure if this is the right name for them) hip reels. Basically swinging them together forward & behind. Ya, I know... really simple, BUT I'm stoked I can finally do them grin Yay! grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Reels really open up a lot of movement possibilities. Just btw. wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I still use reels. Hip reels can look very badass. What I like to do is do an extension with bot poi together and when they get to my hip I do a reel and then an extra beat just with them at my sides and start whirling with my poi together or do like a half extension and use antispin to wrap my poi. It's simple, but it's so fun and looks so cool I love it grin Explore hip reels my friend there's more to do than you could think of.