Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
cool to know hunter green but the wrong place for it, try the 'social chat' thread and/or make an introduction thread using the link via the 'my home' link top left.

but welcome smile

back on topic :

really got the 4 point (per hand) crazy thing looking cool now, and the near 3 point simian thing I think.

Finally getting regular (instead of butterfly) huggies thanks to Sambo Flux passing down the Simian method for teaching them.

Antispin weave and butterfly btb waist wraps thanks to Irinus.

I can get a low quality video out of my stills camera so people can have a clue what I'm talking about soon smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Looking good Yakumo, there are some nice variations of the wallplane anitspin. I've been working on going into and out of it from a huggie and antispin flower.

Finally, I'm starting to get a few BTB hyperloops, a couple sloppy hybrid weaves and turning antispin weaves. Too much to work on, too little time...

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Some weird pirhouette thingy...
Starting with a fwrd splittime. I use my right arm to just go 'round' well, i hope you've seen a pirhouette thing anyhow.. my left arm goes aroubd my back and in front again on the other side. And the right arm goes on the other side... umm... It's difficult to explain.. i never tried explaining a pirhouette to anyone. I just played around and it came to me...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Aah, it's so daft it's taken me so long, for all the daft tricks i know, it's taken me forever to finally truly get same direction huggies, forward and reverse, turning both ways, totally, thanks so much Sambo (and Simian).

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Inverted 4bt windmill with a turn:)

not really hard..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
so.. a regular windmill is 2 beats right? so for a 4 beat your folding your wrists over in the same sort of vein as doing a 5 beat weave? and by inverted you mean your arms hang low so it's going around your legs instead of your head?

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

so.. a regular windmill is 2 beats right? so for a 4 beat your folding your wrists over in the same sort of vein as doing a 5 beat weave? and by inverted you mean your arms hang low so it's going around your legs instead of your head?

Not really smile

It's more like a straightjacket overhead.. you go into a inversion from a rev weave but instead of going to the other side of the body you lift your arms and let the poi pass over and behind you. it's not very hard:)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
aaah, course, every time someone says inverted I just think upside-down. Makes sense now, I did know what an inversion is in Poi (going into barrel rolls/straight jackets etc..)

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
i learnt how to do more wraps and stall latnight pretty cool stuff.

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ah, finally spent some time on it in a mirror and got really nice fully isolated 3 beat fw and rev weaves, and...

the 5 beat iso weave I've been trying to copy from Mico for so damn long biggrin bounce bounce2 weavesmiley

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
\o/ I finally got reverse antispin flowers last night, still a bit messy and need tidying up though, will have to get antispin flower turns sorted next.

Also got some nice airwraps into my waistwraps the other day as well which look rather cool 9if i do say so myself tongue)

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
try starting from backwards weave then go into behind the back.
i think backwards btb weave is easier that fowards if not try it fowards i am occasionly wrong

are you gonna drink that?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
One handed Gilligan.

nice,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Richee, isn't that just 2 poi in 1 hand, not spinning?

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
ubblol Edited for wrongness: OH gilligan is 1 poi still, other poi spinning, both in 1 hand. Cheers Richee for clarification!

Got 4 beat and 6 beat buzzsaw hyperloops right to left, under-arm airwraps (cheers to Durbs for showing me those), and managed to turn antispin flowers (reverse to forward turning left, can't turn back or turn right yet). Sketchy, but doable. And that weird wallplane antispin flower with an isolated crossover to get back to the first position that Yakumo does in his recent video.

Damn those butterfly waistwraps though, I just can't seem to make them work. rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1169217599)

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Sam now learn it with them spinning the other way so you can turn, I'm trying to atm, it's doing it's best to be far, far, harder than counterclockwisee spinning poi. frown

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Had a brief play with this earlier. Did this to my brain --> eek ubbloco

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what would you call it w/ one spinning bth and one btb, i tested it this summer and now got it with tails
bastille days crowd seemed to like it

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Basic Snag

Airwrap

And some generally wicked Tangle stuff.

Isolated Weave ( Finally )

And beginning of a Hybrid weave.
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1169598710)

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Finaly gettin the btb weave down after months of trying, had the five beat corkscrew for about two days, some throw stuff and turning with the flutterby weave.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
reverse weave hybrids smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. stumbled upon a fun move yesterday while playing with crossers and tangles.. put them together smile.

Start with wall plane tangle (airwrap),
turn and bring to buzzsaw plane (infinite tangle),
then bring your arms into a wheel plane crosser to untangle the poi

then uncross the arms and tangle the poi again and untangle back in the wall plane (release airwrap).

or turn your body so that your wheel crosser turns into a reel crosser (traditional crosser)

You can also turn all the way around so that you are doing a reverse wheel plane crosser, then uncross to a reverse infinite tangle..

blah blah etc...

fun stuffs.. dunno if that made any sense tho.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Some snags, still working on hybrids, anti spin weave, isolated weave, inversions and atomics. So much to learn!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
For completion:

-Inswing BF, Inswing TTN

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

daphnePLATINUM Member
91 posts

Posted:
I just found the perfect way to fold the handles* of my poi, so they fit perfectly around my fingers. I can finally spin with my palms wide open biggrin I'm sooo happy! (I've been looking a way to do this for a long time)

*they are double finger loop handles

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. "Jim Morrison"
"...but I, being poor, have only my dreams
I've spread my dreams under your feet
tread softly because you tread on my dreams..." Yeats

adrenalinenewbie
18 posts

Posted:
i just got the behind the back 3 bt wooo it feels good! smile now im trying to do the 5bt reverse weave but its so hard, feel like i have hard wrists i can do the 5bt foward, any tips? woo behind the back the coolest trick i've learned and fountain and buzzsaw and corckscrew and.... i could keep talkin and talkin every moes feels good smile) smile

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

adrenalinenewbie
18 posts

Posted:
hey Suibom what kinda poi are u using to to the tangles???? please and is there any chance to do isolations with a nylon cord poi??? with tails?? heeellp!! smile thanx

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Split time TTN inswing.

light,

POI THEO(R)IST

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted: