Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
yaay!!

inverted buzzsaw > inverted cross > inverted rev buzzsaw > inverted windmill > inverted buzzsaw again..

without ever leaving the inversion..

I am soo proud of myself biggrin
EDITED_BY: White RaveN (1170762334)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Aww, everybody does all these cool stuffs. I've decided to only play with crossers for a while.

I've noticed how i completely ignored to learn teh Antispin crosser. So that's on it's way

Btw White RaveN, I think I worked some on the thing your explaining here, it would be sweet to see somebody do it really smooth. My movements feel very rough when I try it, course alot of practice will do.

Anyhow, my next ventures concerning Crossers ( hugs ) will be if you can do them horisontally. Should be possible somehow. haha.

Oh, and I'm also quite dedicated right now to exploring the horisontal plane. There are things to be discovered there I think =)

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Inverted crosser (thanks to Blue Cat last week) inverted butterfly barrel rolls, atomic weave. Still can't get isolated weave or antispin weave though.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
hang on... do you go to the uni juggling club on a monday dude? I've been there with Bluecat for the last 3 weeks ubblol I still haven't met you eek

I shall be down again next week with my staff(s) and quiff wink shall try and remember to search you out and say hello wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

632 posts

Posted:
:P I didn't go this week, I was there last week though. I'll make it easy for people. I've got a dog collar, big baggy jeans and I'll be bouncing around. probably picking fights with hippies with staffs. Then running away and trying to learn something contacty.

Here, let me describe myself: 6', short dark hair, beard, dog collar, thin, bouncy and I'll be doing just about anything I can get my hands on. Not necessarily well, but still... See you on Monday!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
cool biggrin I shall be playing with a staff or my astrojax wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

hey Suibom what kinda poi are u using to to the tangles???? please and is there any chance to do isolations with a nylon cord poi??? with tails?? heeellp!!

I generally use sock poi and chains with fire (currently ball chain), sock poi are by far the easiest to do tangles with. You can probably get away with doing isolations with nylon cord, but I hate string cords with a passion so I couldn't say how easy it would be. I replace any strings with ball chains right off. My tail poi (zuni style) uses ball chains and it works great. Isolations are beautiful with tail poi.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

632 posts

Posted:
I think I've just nailed my antispin weave smile whooo!

632 posts

Posted:
nope, there's 1 too many beats in it with one poi. Damn.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
*Polyrythmic 2:1 Crosser ( only one side )

*Transition to one hand front, one hand BTB crosser

*Cross-stall both in front

*Cross-stall one btb one in front

*Cleaned up my Horisontal Buzzaw thingy

Btw, when you do a Buzzaw and you stand in the Wallplane and turn it from one side to the other (Going in a circle with your arms ). What do people refferr to this as? I heard people caling them Buzzaw-flowers ?

ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1170958815)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
you can do it with nylon cords and tails it just takes time and patience

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hyper-inversion routine

LS - left side

RS- right side

BW - Backward

LS: BW Weave -> Inversion -> Hyperloop

RS: Hyperloop untangle -> Weave -> Inversion -> Hyperloop

LS: Hyperloop untangle

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

dj_sacrific3SILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
after extensive practice with flowers and wall plane manipulations i randomly discovered that a 7 beat weave, although impractical for dance, is quite easy. i was surprised when i learned i could do it from forward and reverse and with 360 body spinning in both directions in a fountain and waistwrap.

so thats

7btwve fwd&rvs

360 7 beat weave

7bt fountain regular and anti spin

7bt waistwrap fwd and reverse

---edit: after 5 minuets of posting

360 7btwaistwrap. . . . although im not sure some reason only counting 6 but feels like 7 totally.
EDITED_BY: dj_sacrific3 (1171182427)

<S.kill> ÐJ_Sacrific3

AltamiraSILVER Member
totally irefixable
9 posts

Posted:
wow just looking what every 1s learnt and its gone way over my head!!! as a newbie here and a newbie learning to spin im very happy that ive nearly cracked the 3 beat weave its kinda 2.5 weave at the mo, cant get the reels yet tho!!

Look at the world properly and you are surrounded by beauty

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
If it's REALLY 2.5 your doing something pretty cool and new-agey.

However I think I know what you mean. Keep up the spinning. After the weaves are mastered there will be new dimensions to explore. So play and have fun! Don't mind others, find yourself, and you'll catch up to everyone else, in your own way =) hug

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
just gives you something to aim for, eventually you will have newbies saying that about what you do

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Wall plane buttefly continual vertical half flower

in both directions.

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
the following will make sense to noone except me, but it made me happy, so i want to write it down biggrin

really nice combo: reverse bfy wallplane, underarm throw LH poi whilst stalling RH poi to the left, RH poi partially follows direction of LH in midair, catch LH poi on LH and imediately wibble both poi in an clockwise direction, catch both and go into anti-clockwise spin, after one beat loop the head of LH poi an R wrist, keep spinning RH poi such that the two poi isolate on the same arm. Take LH poi back into LH, stall RH poi so as to return to reverse bfy, then underarm throw RH poi, wibble off L wrist, catch, smile.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
clap

smile

Getting to the other side smile

632 posts

Posted:
Antispin weave, finally got straight jackets, still uncertain what I can do with inversions or atomics though, so I'll have a look at them smile

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Well i hate to say this but after years of not bothering to learn flowers i have just started to get them that and that damn forward plane hyperloop.

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hybrid backward weave.

Eat 'more Spinnach',

(thx Bluecat)

light,

POI THEO(R)IST

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
crossers (finally!!); antispin weave (at long last!!); butterfly hyperloops (whoopeee!! -- exit not that clean yet though); turning 1.5 "weaves" and btb rev. 1.5s.

this is good -- I've been feeling like I would never get inversions, but I felt that way about crossers and the antispin weave and got those so maybe someday soon...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
Man, I kept practicing, practicing, and you know thats all I did, but besides that, I have finally leaned how to do the Meltdowns!!! A maximum of only 2 full days doing nothing but that one move!! My advice to all the poi playaz, NEVER FOR EVEN A SECOND, DOUT YOURSELF!!!!!! Confidence isthe key(at least mine)!!

JimboWizbonewbie
1 post

Posted:
I picked up my friends poi an hour ago, tried once before a year ago and gave up after about 5mins lol. as of now Ive learned the 3 beat weave, pretty chuffed though, cant be too bad for an hours work! Anything else I can start looking at? Keep it simple!

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
try the free lessons

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Backward weave 1.5 .

ate,

POI THEO(R)IST

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I don't have any good names for this. But generally speaking, spinning circles behind my back. altering the position of the arms, trying to get every single position/timing( polyrythm speed, splittime, sametime ( no, not pendulum ). Altering between the positions, keeping the rythms and the planes.

So far, i'm mostly practicing the slittime and same time, I will progress further with it tho, i'm sure. It just really puts some strain on the arms. I also try to keep them at independant positions, so they will get used to spinning freely in these areas.

Cheers

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I'm on a roll! ubbrollsmile ( rather my poi is spinning all the time ).

I've learned how to do 1.5 beat on each side of the weave ( Thank you Durbs ) . Now I need to put that together, and then I have to research the concept further, applying it to almost all i know. I love it when a new "Dimension" opens up. You really teach your "muscles" to spontansioualy create amazing patterns, to music.

Basically means I have yet to really explore wibbles, contact poi, and all the other things i probably forgot. Doing all variations possible of everything is after all, kinda impossible, so I'll just be happy with practicing what I fancy. Which tend to be whatever the next thing is that I get the hang of. ( Eyeing towards, Atomics, Wibbles or Contact poi ).

Cheers
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1172360614)

NollykinGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Just figured out the forwards btb weave. Now i'm 360 degrees! Forwards 3beat, Backwards 3beat, Forwards btb 3beat and backwards btb 3beat. Now I need to get them all together and twirl like a mofo!

We want a band, that plays loud and hard every night-
That doesn't care how many people are counted at the door-
That would travel one million miles and ask for nothing more,
Than a plate of food and a place to rest.

Page: ......