Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MusicalTNTSILVER Member
Womp Womp Womp
14 posts

Posted:
Butterfly and three beat weave down in under a week. Yay grin

~I am makes muzaks~

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitYeah I still use reels. Hip reels can look very badass. What I like to do is do an extension with bot poi together and when they get to my hip I do a reel and then an extra beat just with them at my sides and start whirling with my poi together or do like a half extension and use antispin to wrap my poi. It's simple, but it's so fun and looks so cool I love it grin Explore hip reels my friend there's more to do than you could think of.

Say what?
Ok... Imma gonna try wrap my brain around that one and give it a try...
Reels are a weird one for me... I can do them hundreds going one direction, but try opposite and my brain says "sorry for you". But they feel amazing when they happen smoothly. grin

Originally Posted By: MusicalTNTButterfly and three beat weave down in under a week. Yay grin
Nice! Well done dude grin That's awesome grin I have a bit of a brain flop when it comes to the 3 beat weave... It's such a simple and beautiful move, but the brain to hand connection doesn't always work so well with me tongue2 I'll get there though smile

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i learned how to use throws for direction changes from either using hand swaps or turning before i catch it smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Ash3sSay what?
Reels are a weird one for me... I can do them hundreds going one direction, but try opposite and my brain says "sorry for you". But they feel amazing when they happen smoothly. grin

Do work on both ways, it helps. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonOriginally Posted By: Ash3sSay what?

Do work on both ways, it helps. smile

I agree with this 110% I didn't realize I was learning reels when I was. I just thought of it as learning to turn in every direction smoothly, no matter what the poi orientation. Its a great help to free movement and being comfortable with all the space around you while moving.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
It's so bizarre, but going the one direction (right to left) is completely comfortable and the other direction is just uncomfortable. I can do it now, thank goodness, but it's still uncomfortable.

I think that is my biggest downfall, I get into a comfort zone with certain moves and directions, and as a result end up neglecting other things that I've learned. But I'm getting there smile You Tube is a great source of inspiration.

I was looking through the tutorial videos, seeing what I can and can't do as yet... I totally have "moon chasing sun" down grin Yeah, yeah I'm still in the beginners section tongue2

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
It's been an exciting couple of weeks for me in terms of learning new moves. I am slowly starting to get the concept of poi and understand how they move.

So here's the ones I've managed to get to grips with this week:

3 Beat Weave! Forwards, not backwards... I know, every move must be learned forwards, backwards, inside out, back to front, up, down, sideways... Yes, I know... Baby steps tongue2
Hip Reels - Left to right and right to left & sorta split... my timing is a bit wonky.
Shoulder/Hip Reels
Reel Turns
Buzzsaw - still new for me, but I've got the basic move down, now I just need to refine it.
Alternative Take Outs from Forwards Butterfly

I can also do other funny little things that we do at class, but I have no idea if they have names and what their names would be. grin

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
reels! so much fun. working on perfecting mine in all directions, and then integrating turns/whirling. as far as performance goes, I am still more impressed by very fluid whirling reels than I am by much more complicated and technical stuff; they just look so beautiful.

anyway, I just figured out downward stalls today. so happy. still need to practice, but getting the poi to stop dead in its tracks for the first time was a great feeling - no more wobbly stalls!

edit: f yeah I just got the 4-beat corkscrew down too!!! and I'm this close to the 5-beat weave as a result. today is a good day for poi!

edit 2: and today I was messing around with stalls at work and just did my first isolation. can only do it for a few beats right now, so it obviously needs practice but damned if I am not having a good week for poi.
EDITED_BY: thirteen (1299714456)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Wow thirteen, you are styling! grin Well done! grin
I've finally got the hang of a backwards TTN and have a butterfly turn down, but need to polish it a tad. It's a bit wobbly still.

Turning is tricky for me because I don't have the backwards stuff down, but I'll get there smile

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
thanks! and congrats to you, butterflies are so hard for me. still haven't got them down. backwards ttn is quite the accomplishment.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ash: Actually, I know a couple people who learned backwards weaves by just turning around and letting the momentum of the poi do the rest. Just as an aside.

Thirteen: Nice work. smile
I find isolations are something I lose if I do not do them for a while. Due to lack of spinnage in the last few weeks, they have gone downhill. Need to fix that. smile

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
aston: Wednesday is the perfect time for you to practice isolations tongue2

thirteen: How are you doing with isolations? I had a look at them on the tutorial videos and can't quite get my brain wrapped around them just yet.

As for me, thanks to aston's advice and Derek's tutorial videos I've got (or at least I think I have) backwards 3bt weaves down grin I can also turn using it, which is miraculous for me! So great excitement all over grin

I'm half practicing stalls, but am completely useless at them, to the point that I actually wonder if I need a certain kind of poi for them, that's how useless I am tongue2

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
thanks aston!

ash, more good work smile backward 3bt is so awkward at first. being able to turn between that and forward and back again is so useful though, and then you'll be doing fountains, one of my favorite moves... so pretty.

and isolations are... hard, lol. I get the theory and I can do them but they look terrible right now. need a lot of practice until I can do them cleanly and consistently. haven't touched them in a couple days actually, I spent last night polishing reel turns and trying out pirouettes (very hard in a small apartment...) not to mention practicing air wraps (which are more consistent than isolations for me, but not good enough to use in freestyle yet)

so to sum up I'm working on: isolations, reels, pirouettes, and air wraps.

yeah I have the ADD, I think.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ash: Look at SwayingDaisies' channel on Youtube. One of the best stall tutorials around. Heavier poi can make your stalls a little crisper as well, but without knowing your current weight that does not help much. smile

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonAsh: Look at SwayingDaisies' channel on Youtube. One of the best stall tutorials around. Heavier poi can make your stalls a little crisper as well, but without knowing your current weight that does not help much. smile

Now that you know the weight of my poi, should they be heavier?

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
pmji - one of the advantages of sox (or cones) with rice for weights is that they are almost infinitely adjustable.

I kept on adding more rice a spoon at a time 'til I found a weight that suited - I went up when I was learning 5 beat weave and polishing my upward stalls.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ash: those you haveare fine, if a little hard. I would prefer a different tether and a swivel, but that is pure preference. I like your poi a lot. smile

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
been working on a lot of stuff. most recently have been tackling my fear of butterflies; today I learned how to stall from a weave into a butterfly and back into a weave. I was messing around and decided I like stalling the same poi twice in a row and never actually entering the butterfly. it's a really awesome feeling.

still can't quite do outward TTN as well as I'd like, and even my best butterfly (inward, right hand on top) occasionally explodes in a blazing glory of clashing poi, but I'm getting there.

also starting to play with short poi and transitioning back and forth between long and short poi while spinning. I've discovered that doing weaves with one short and one long poi makes it look like one poi is circling inside the other. any other suggestions on stuff to try with one short and one long?

oh and I've learned my first flower! wall plane single-handed anti-spin four-petal is the only thing I'm comfortable with, but still - so cool! I can tell that learning these is going to be so much fun once I feel ready to push them further.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
*looks at thirteen with sad eyes*
Where and how do you find the time???

Well done thirteen! grin You're seriously styling at this point grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
thirteen: you can have a lot of fun with switching which hand stalls in a butterfly. I came across a fun way of doing it a couple years ago which I still use from time to time. Good work though, you are making some nice progress. smile

Ash: Give some thought to what you want to learn next, and I can give you a hand on Wednesday if I can find a vehicle to get down to DBN in.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
thanks ash! I usually practice around an hour a day when I get home from work, sometimes more. it takes some dedication, but it doesn't hurt that poi is more fun than just about anything else I could do with my free time!

aston: how do you do it? if it's not too hard to explain, sometimes putting poi into words is awkward. and thanks as well smile
EDITED_BY: thirteen (1300996798)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not too hard to explain. Basically, inward butterfly, stall over one arm. Hold the stall until the other poi is coming up on the outside and bring both up together. Keep them together for part of a rotation, until the poi you stalled over the top is coming up on the outside. Normally it would start wrapping here, so do a horizontal stall and bring it back into your normal butterfly. This can then be repeated with the other poi.

I think I do it slightly differently, since I do not really care which butterfly I do, but that was the original conception of it.

Hope that that makes sense. If not, can do you a video in the coming week?

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
I think I get it. you're saying you stall the same poi twice in a butterfly, once over the arm, then back around and under in a horizontal stall, which allows you to go back into the butterfly. then you can stall the other poi and keep going.

if that's right, I was doing the reverse - starting with a weave, stalling one poi horizontally between my body and the other poi, then bringing the poi up and stalling it over the other arm, then going back into a weave.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
That is right, yes. The goal for me was always to bring both poi back up together after the top stall. It can look pretty odd if you do not know what is going on, especially when done with alternating poi, since one seems to disappear and then suddenly reappear. The effect works better with fire, but it is still fun. Like I say, I do it differently now, and do not always do both stalls, but that is because I am more comfortable with all the basic butterflies than when I worked that move out.

And that is a very simple and elegant way of going into a butterfly, good work on figuring it out. Keep experimenting! smile

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
elegant is a good word for it; I keep practicing butterfly stalls of all sorts because it's such a nice feeling. definitely something I'm glad I learned, and it wasn't too hard to figure out either (though I had worked on butterflies, weaves, and stalls all on their own first - I'm sure that helped).

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Is a fairly logical thing to do, I remember working it out pretty early on.

Also: semi-colon!

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
semi-colon is the punctuation of the gods!

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
Im new at spinning, i kno the basics, but i do a 3bw and bend backwards, or go on my knees and bend backwards, it has a really cool look and evry1 watching is like whoa, lol.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
*shudders*

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
I learned corkscrew without realising that I'd learned it... Almost there with fountain, thanks to aston. smile