Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dut

maybe this belongs under "things i left behind", but for some reason i never thought of non-split-time same-arm butterfly wraps. i mean i do them on legs, necks, "etc" all the time, but one-arm? crazy. i tried them one-handed and it worked for a second, but i'm not trying that on fire any time soon. lol.

They require some nifty plane control to get them to wrap without tangling, that's for sure. And having the right length of poi definitely helps!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yay! I just did a double spiral wrist wrap with fire for the first time! And an under the arm through wrap too!

It was hard to get my brain to allow me to actuallly wrap that fire around my hands, but once I did it it was fine.

Very happy and stinky now...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Snag(horizonntal)

(Catched hyperloop(one hand catch) with other spinning in
buzzsaw) and vertical fun.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Right, I've not posted for a while here so here goes.

BTB flowers, watermills (finally) 4bt ttn, butterfly weave, compound and goofy flowers, reverse hyperloop stalls, fibbles (foot wibbles) and a cool little butterfly inversion/inside that I have no idea of the name

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
btb flowers? please explain...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I double last post query aswell btw..

Anyways.

I feel proud beacuse I just entered the 4beat weave today (Partially the reason it was possible now and not later was a part from Nicks video. THANKS), and pretty much 'mastered' the timing and the plane... Well... almost. Still gotta get it elegant. I also started a little with testing out 5 beat. Timing is still off tho.

Other then that, i'm trying to come up with patterns that works for spinning one poi Forward and the other backwards. Which can give a few interesting results and variations. However the cross point is extreamly dependant on timing, or not at all. But I think the former looks better if done correctly =)

Also just cracked turning with Buzzaws. Seriously I DO not know why I did not practice buzzaws earlier.

Last but not least... Trying to isolate stuff in different places in the spinning... Been trying to break in the middle of crossing in a 3 or 4 beat weave to make an isolation that goes over to do the normal weaving again... But breaking it at the crosspoint is difficult since you have such immense momentum going towards the other side of your body.

Cheers
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1146361570)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've put an explanation in the "All About Flowers" thread and will try to get it on tape as soon as I get home. They're stupidly tech though biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
read and replied biggrin

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Remind me to stretch before attempting to figure out any btb moves. spank wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

Been trying to break in the middle of crossing in a 3 or 4 beat weave to make an isolation that goes over to do the normal weaving again... But breaking it at the crosspoint is difficult since you have such immense momentum going towards the other side of your body

immense momentum? Slow down and it'll be far far easier. It's almost exactly the same forces as doing iso buzzsaws ie very little smile Infact you can practice by doing iso buzzsaws and then trying to cross arms and keep the isolation going.

Hope that helps wave

Let's relight this forum ubblove

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I just learned an Elbow stand, thanks to Chutney's Thread...

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

Written by: Mireneye

Been trying to break in the middle of crossing in a 3 or 4 beat weave to make an isolation that goes over to do the normal weaving again... But breaking it at the crosspoint is difficult since you have such immense momentum going towards the other side of your body

immense momentum? Slow down and it'll be far far easier. It's almost exactly the same forces as doing iso buzzsaws ie very little smile Infact you can practice by doing iso buzzsaws and then trying to cross arms and keep the isolation going.

Hope that helps wave

Haha. actually I have been doing that a long time now. For weeks actually. The funny thing is I didn't realise I was breaking it untill you told me. Really easy. Definietly haha... Wonder If I was tired when I wrote that. Thanks anyways.

I don't know why I didn't do it before. But just got TTN =)

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hey!

I have succesefully learned crossover weave btb.
Im just wondering if anyone have bin playing around with that one?

And have anyone done splittime butterfly weave btb?

Im glad for all kind of tips in those moves!

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
One handed butterfly, and overhead one handed butterfly yay! I've almost got the lower leg wrap that turns it into an outward butterfly too. smile

I'm getting my first fire poi soon! ubblove

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

omerBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
little butterfly inversion/inside that I have no idea of the name - If I get what you mean, I call it "flip the pancake"
if it looks that way, then, yeah, let's give it this name

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
totally laim i know, but i finally got 5 beat weave on my left side!!!!!

its been bugging me for ageeeees!

yay me! bounce

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Any tips for Chasing the Sun? I've watched the animation but I can't seem to do it. Annoyingly tho, I can do Mexican wave.

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
IF you can do a windmill. Your not far off. A windmill is esentiall turning 90 Degrees with your body. and flipping your arms split time bak and front above your head. I think(I'm actually not sure) that if you do that Same time. You've isolated the move where Chasing the sun goes behind you. Continue practice that, and try Chasing the sun later.. see if it works.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Oh... This deserved it's own post...
I got the 5beat weave working fine today.
I also got the Isolated TTN down today.

What a good day!

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i got the BTB reverse weave today, ive been trying for ages to get it right eeeey!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

i got the BTB reverse weave today, ive been trying for ages to get it right eeeey!

Now that you got it... Any tips on what helped you the most... The worst aspect of my spinning is my BTB stuff.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Sloppy and painful, but I'm finally getting the reverse antispin flower goin (arms spinning forward, poi spinning backwards). Sloppy cause it's freakin difficult to keep the plane control (just like it used to be learning the forward antispin :P.. also because my arms don't agree with me that that move can really be done. They flat out deny it's possiblity :P. Painful cause my arms are not happy with spinning it..heh..

Next up, antispin turning flowers.. oy that messes with my brain biggrin.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Turning antispin flowers I find easier than reverse antispin flowers...

The 'trick' is learn a wallplane antispin flower, and then that is what you use to turn. Although, that's the way I did it, but I'm not sure if I'm cheating or not...

I can now do BTB weave in both directions, and turning in a little circle. Yay!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lousy_Trucking_Car

Turning antispin flowers I find easier than reverse antispin flowers...

The 'trick' is learn a wallplane antispin flower, and then that is what you use to turn. Although, that's the way I did it, but I'm not sure if I'm cheating or not...

I can now do BTB weave in both directions, and turning in a little circle. Yay!!

you got it then, well done
i'm still working on that BTB bit! getting there.

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
For some reason I'm facinated that you could turn an anti-spin flower before you could turn a weave btb.... smile
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1146840812)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lousy_Trucking_Car

Heh.. well what I'm trying to do two or three rotations of forward antispin, then turn, then another two or three reverse antispin, then turn again... just to make sure I get and understand the full feel of it.. The turn itself is odd, but trying to force my arms into continuing antispin rather than just doing a reverse flower makes my brain hurt.

Heh.. and as far as behind the back weave goes.. I just kinda gave up on it.. it causes too much pain to my collarbone frown.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
TTL weave and ttl fountain within about 10 minutes of each other.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
ttl? do you mean btl?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I stand corrected wink

I got the idea from feuershow so just used the name they have for it.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I just did my first beat of TTN Weave. Very similar to the Butterfly Weave (duh) However even harder to keep it flowing and getting the planes to strighten out.

The key to the move is Beeing able to rotate the torso fluently. And to be able to know all the basic bells and whistles of the TTN move, that beeing forward and reverse TTN.

My problem is that my reverse TTN still sucks. Any pointers on that one... I wanna know more about the hand position.

Page: ......