Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...8788899091...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

russtafari
stranger

Total posts: 16
Posted:btb waistwrap > elbow carry > switch hands > tangle suicide. real nice.
horizontal propellers (only for a few beats so far though)
2nd degree tangles, windmill tangles, and all sorts of inverty watermilly stuff.

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Reverse 1.5s, turning forward to reverse 1.5s, BTB 1.5s, and wall plane figure 8 1.5s, as taught to me by Durbs himself at Spitz! biggrin

Got a couple of clean butterfloops, needs a lot of work though, and a couple of rotations of inwards thread the pendulum (don't know of it has a name, that's what I've been calling it cause it seems apt). Again, needs awork...

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:release into Chestroll.

release into Armroll.

Foot catches.

Hybrid weaves fwd and reverse.

Cracking the poi like a whip for direction changes.

butterfly waistwraps.

fwds BTB weave and waistwraps.

some silly contact juggly throwy catchy stuff.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Kutulu
Kutulu

Total posts: 18
Posted:I dont usually post here, I scan around for interesting things occasionally, but my friends are rather tired of hearing about every time I learn something new lol.

So, moves that I'm rediculously happy with:

A compound isolation (that is a full wallplane isolation, moved in a giant circle)

5 Beat slide (Fifth beat slides up your arm to your bicep)

Split time thread the needle (I dont think this name is entirely accurate, but the hand in front does 2 beats while the one behind does 1, and then obviously they switch tempos as they switch positions)

The Showstopper (All credit for this move is owed to Jeremy Felix, cuz hes the man. Its from the BTB weave, and you catch both poi with the opposite hand, then kinda pretzel your body a little, and come out into a *not* Btb weave)

And of course Hyperloops, which I'm still working the kinks out of (pun completely intended :P)

Waistwraps (both kinds)

And leg weaves, which are stupidly easy, they just never work into anything well

Jay

Delete

Marisa
stranger

Total posts: 4
Posted:Chasing the Sun! =D

I'm a n00b, but it's super fun to do. I'm having a hard time with Low Turn though. I got the High Turn down, but low turn just doesn't make sense to me. frown

p.s. HI! Aren't you guys thrilled to have a n00b? (I don't expect a "yes" to that).

Delete

Kutulu
Kutulu

Total posts: 18
Posted:Boo low turn, put em both through your legs instead :P

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:1.5s, reverse 1.5s, turning fw to bw 1.5s, "wrong" bw 1.5s, 7 beat btf weave.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

bluecat
bluecat

geek, level 1
Total posts: 5300
Posted:ubblol

i just watched an old video of myself, and learned a 'new' move biggrin

its one of those tangly, fake knot kind of things rolleyes

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

fNi
fNi

master of disaster
Total posts: 3354
Posted:btb 5bt fwd weave (sloppy) and btb 4bt ttn (clean but somewhat inconsistent)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Delete

Nollykin
Nollykin

Total posts: 21
Posted:*jumps up and down* Woo!!

I've been practicing BTB stuff for the last week. I first learned BTB Butterfly, which is awesome, then the BTB 2beat weave came on saturday. Last night, I pulled off the 3beat BTB forward weave! It's inconsistent, and I often hit my ankles, but I can get it continuously when I really try. Now just to practice and get it tighter! biggrin

When I finally got it I wasn't expecting to get it so easily - so I excitedly threw both poi high into the air - I caught one, but the other got stuck in a tree. In hindsight, you'd think throwing the OTHER one up to dislodge it would be a stupid move, but luckily it worked. Seems I got a little too excited. biggrin

We want a band, that plays loud and hard every night-
That doesn't care how many people are counted at the door-
That would travel one million miles and ask for nothing more,
Than a plate of food and a place to rest.

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:yey! Nice one nolly!

I think I just did a backwards isolated weave without really thinking about it. Looked down and it was all wheeee who's got control of my hands and would they like to go out to dinner?!

Delete

kazman
kazman

Total posts: 16
Posted:I just got forward 5 weave, not bad i think since i started poi on tuesday. Got reverse 3 beat yesterday aswell which is quite cool.

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

Delete

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you
Total posts: 4693
Posted:last night i did three beat btb. and i dont even do poi! eek

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:grrrrrr eek mad censored

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Finally got my butterfly hyperloop working (yay for switching from chains to socks), normal hyperloops (sketchy), buzzsaw hyperloops (mmmm, lush, but also sketchy), and a right-to-left inverted weave. Did it a couple of times the other way, needs tidying up though. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:Some utterly loopy Simian inspired (happened trying to remember what he tried to show me at synergy) thing, possibly two of them smile

Anyone in Edinburgh will have seen me trying to figure out how to make it clean. Maybe it needs a name other than crazzy ass simian wall plane spin to antispin switching flower thing.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

hunter green

Total posts: 1
Posted:I am new to this web site. I have been looking for 2 years for people like me i didn't think I would find it. None of my friends spin. I thought I was the only one

Delete

Red_RaveN
Neo - Hippie
Total posts: 358
Posted:Inverted windmill!! Yay:) a very fun trick.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:cool to know hunter green but the wrong place for it, try the 'social chat' thread and/or make an introduction thread using the link via the 'my home' link top left.

but welcome smile

back on topic :

really got the 4 point (per hand) crazy thing looking cool now, and the near 3 point simian thing I think.

Finally getting regular (instead of butterfly) huggies thanks to Sambo Flux passing down the Simian method for teaching them.

Antispin weave and butterfly btb waist wraps thanks to Irinus.

I can get a low quality video out of my stills camera so people can have a clue what I'm talking about soon smile

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:Spin-Antispin thing vid

Delete

mtbeer
mtbeer

ARRRR!
Total posts: 529
Posted:Looking good Yakumo, there are some nice variations of the wallplane anitspin. I've been working on going into and out of it from a huggie and antispin flower.

Finally, I'm starting to get a few BTB hyperloops, a couple sloppy hybrid weaves and turning antispin weaves. Too much to work on, too little time...

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Delete

Mireneye
enthusiast

Total posts: 276
Posted:Some weird pirhouette thingy...
Starting with a fwrd splittime. I use my right arm to just go 'round' well, i hope you've seen a pirhouette thing anyhow.. my left arm goes aroubd my back and in front again on the other side. And the right arm goes on the other side... umm... It's difficult to explain.. i never tried explaining a pirhouette to anyone. I just played around and it came to me...

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:Aah, it's so daft it's taken me so long, for all the daft tricks i know, it's taken me forever to finally truly get same direction huggies, forward and reverse, turning both ways, totally, thanks so much Sambo (and Simian).

Delete

Red_RaveN
Neo - Hippie
Posted:Inverted 4bt windmill with a turn:)

not really hard..

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:so.. a regular windmill is 2 beats right? so for a 4 beat your folding your wrists over in the same sort of vein as doing a 5 beat weave? and by inverted you mean your arms hang low so it's going around your legs instead of your head?

Delete

Red_RaveN
Neo - Hippie
Posted: Written by: Yakumo

so.. a regular windmill is 2 beats right? so for a 4 beat your folding your wrists over in the same sort of vein as doing a 5 beat weave? and by inverted you mean your arms hang low so it's going around your legs instead of your head?

Not really smile

It's more like a straightjacket overhead.. you go into a inversion from a rev weave but instead of going to the other side of the body you lift your arms and let the poi pass over and behind you. it's not very hard:)

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:aaah, course, every time someone says inverted I just think upside-down. Makes sense now, I did know what an inversion is in Poi (going into barrel rolls/straight jackets etc..)

Delete

Stained_Whisper
Stained_Whisper

Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
Total posts: 161
Posted:i learnt how to do more wraps and stall latnight pretty cool stuff.

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:ah, finally spent some time on it in a mirror and got really nice fully isolated 3 beat fw and rev weaves, and...

the 5 beat iso weave I've been trying to copy from Mico for so damn long biggrin bounce bounce2 weavesmiley

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Total posts: 434
Posted:\o/ I finally got reverse antispin flowers last night, still a bit messy and need tidying up though, will have to get antispin flower turns sorted next.

Also got some nice airwraps into my waistwraps the other day as well which look rather cool 9if i do say so myself tongue)

Delete

Page: 1...8788899091...117