Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Got buzzsaw fountains last night, w00t. Almost got the tangled version working as well, just need to keep the beats going... isolated is coming along as well. Then to do it all the other directions

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
learnt thru-wraps on my lunchbreak today courtesy of the te pooka distance learning course (howto).

thank-you poo's

(spiralx - are you deliberately trying to make me pine for tuesday nights more than i already am?! )

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
the noo and improved!

the one. the only.

Unsuccessfully Demonstrated In Drews Bedroom!

waistwrap airwraps.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
airwrapgilligans.

or

'conkers' as the world knows it.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
learnt thru-wraps on my lunchbreak today courtesy of the te pooka distance learning course (howto).

thank-you poo's

(spiralx - are you deliberately trying to make me pine for tuesday nights more than i already am?! )

Hehe, managed to get those as well last night

Also, myself and Alex started playing around with buzzsaw waist wraps... interesting

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I was playing conkers with rob.
Gilligan airwraps
two person 2 poi.
nerd-o-saurus rex

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!...3Bt weave behind the back going backwards...lert it today...hahahah

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Well done! I'm still trying to learn the 3bt backwards weave, so nice one! got any tips?

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
First chance I've had to play in a while, ended up getting a nice butterfly type thing I saw fluffy napalm fairy do at SPOC ( thank you!). In the wall plane (as most of my moves are these days), one poi goes behind the back and out in front on the other side, the other poi goes over the shoulder, repeat on the other side of your body.
Also, some silly btl walking type things. Right poi rotating forwards, left rotating backwards at your sides. Right goes btl form the front, left goes btl from behind, turn pivoting on left foot. Immediately do the same thing but reversed. You end up walking forward, and making people laugh at how stupid you look . Same thing can be done walking backwards, just reverse all directions. Combine the two for maximum effect. I know someone who dances just like that.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
*shuffles into thread*

YAY finally got my first behind the back weave going last night nearly consistant and everything like

Now for the other way

*skips off*

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
360 degree btb weave turns and 5 beat forward btb

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Well I managed 2 learn low wave, but that aint funky is it?

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Im so happy...i meet this guy who could do Isolations....Mad trick i have seen for awhile...so i thought to myself that i coud do until i tired....

Now tody i had another dip and guess what....i got 3 routations of the Isolations...yippeeeeeeeee

P.S...I didn't think this would be hard...WELL IT IS but i still got it

No matter, hopefully i can get routations soon

bye
Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
finally got round to trying waistwrap airwraps on fire.... success!!!!!!!!!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just got my first repeatable tangled isolation sorted (right to left).

catches and contact stops are coming along nicely too

bluecat mind your face!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
not to worry there's an arm in the way.

ww butterfly hyperloops...mmmmm

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
finally. I've spent months trying hyperloops with no sucess. Always tried from 5 beat forwards weave on the right side going to left, cause i'm right handed. Never tried left to right at all, just assuming it'd be harder. Anyway tonight whilst pissing about i tried left to right (fairly drunk i might add - without fire of course) and got it first time

So pleased, hyperloops have been pissing me off for so long........

Oh and no sooner than 10 mins after doing it for the first time in *months* i smacked my head hard with with my chains It's like the pain of starting all over again

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I have just learnt to do a backwrads weave, I can circle both my weaves now ... I can do the windmill and combo the lot. Well chuffed, now I need the guts to do those with my recently bought fire poi. EEK!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Isolated buzzsaw fountains, rah! Well ok so they're pretty sloppy right now, but it's now just a matter of cleaning them up, w00t!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hyperloop fountain done...Now Im reaming to turn with.

POI THEO(R)IST

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
alrighty. I've been practicing alot of different styles, moves, etc. this week.

Since my Poi are home made and have wooden handles to grip I've been able to do one handed butterflys with some ease. I can do them in the forward, and reverse positions in the front of my body and behind my head... I like to switch postions a lot.

I also tried something else... taking the butterfly in one hand streaching my arm way out then physically moving around the butterfly while it hits the peak of it's swing, and keep it going... I've gotten it once so I've walked 360 degrees in a circle around the butterfly... Needs LOTS work though before I try it with fire. I've done searches on this move, but haven't been able to find a name for it.

also I was watching Conon O'brian the other day, they had the Shaolin monks as a musical guest one time. the one monk had super long poi like chains (maybe 4 feet in lenght each) with a little flag on the end... He sat down with his legs out, and spun one over his head, then lifted himself off the ground with the other hand and spun the chain underneath him for a bit... VERY impressive, (gonna need some mad Shaolin strength for that!)

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I finally figured out the behind the back 3 beat weave, yay! It's not always really pretty, and I can only do it once or twice before my planed get all messed up and I start hitting myself, but I finally got it!

Now to learn these "isolation" thingies...

SomeOnemember
3 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone ...i am a new poi spinner (i've been practising for about a month) and two days ago i came up with a new move. I don't know if it exists or if it has been mentioned before (i don't have the time to read all of the messages) but i will try to describe it.
Here we go:
From forward spinnig when poi reach the bottom of their path you turn your palms upside down so that poi make half a circle behind your back (eg the right hand poi makes a clockwise half-circle), then you cross your hands in front (to do that it's a bit like the low wave only you do it in time)and then you cross the chains behind your head. You end up spinning forward or you repeat the sequence.
I hope i made it clear!
If it doesn't exist, i like to call it "peacock"!

...the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I finally finnished my move!!!
I didn't know what it was before as I would kinda stop halfway through but I actually finnished it last night. Now I think I know what it is. 'twould be something like a 360-fountain. Start from a forward 5-beat. Turn 180 while at the same time bringing your hands over your head for a windmill. This is where I had used to stop. From there, continue on with your 360 and bring your hands back down for a 5-beat forward weave. Forward 5-beat => 180 turn to 2-beat windmill => another 180 turn (making it a full 360) and back down to a 3/5-beat forward weave.

This sequence is the smoothest thing I have ever done with my poi. Once you go into it you can basicly let go concious control of your arms and the move will just do itself. When if first did the full 360 I was hit with such an intense burst of euphoria that I fell down.

Split-time ttn's were all in order too. I know that I have allready forgotten most of the new things I did with this, but basicly if I could do it with a weave, I could also do it s/t-ttn.

I don't believe in inventing new moves (don't believe in moves period when you get right down to it). I think it's more of a discovery. It's less you built the path for the poi and more you found the path allready there. It's not as though through my practice I've change the laws of physics and now poi can move in a new direction.

at least, that's how i see it...

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
I don't believe in inventing new moves (don't believe in moves period when you get right down to it). I think it's more of a discovery. It's less you built the path for the poi and more you found the path allready there. It's not as though through my practice I've change the laws of physics and now poi can move in a new direction.

nice words.

someone, if you are turning 180 degrees i think you are just doing a high turn with crossed chains, but i dont have my poi with me so i cant check, ill check later and get back to you

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
hm, to clairify: you turn with the poi. your hands are not tangled in any way at the top.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
BTB Butterfly! AT LAST!

SomeOnemember
3 posts

Posted:
hey jinx
i'm not turning with my poi.
i just keep still.
however, now that i think about it, if i turned i would probably be doing what you mentioned!
a clarification: while the right hand poi makes a clockwise half-circle the left hand poi makes an anti-clockwise half-circle.
and jaeden, if you refer to my move,no, hands are not tangled at the top. you can keep your hands above the shoulders and chains cross behind your head...or you can bring your hands close to each other above your head!
that's all...
(i hope i don't make many mistakes as far as the language is concerned and you can understand what i'm saying )

SomeOnemember
3 posts

Posted:
jaeden.....i just saw your previous message and i realised you clarify your own move...
sorry

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
shoulder snakes with poi.

they work fine and unlike clubs you don't need to throw off to get back into another one - you can just keep isolating, turn around and bring them back up on the other side.

keep messing up the inward ones though.

temporarily having only one poi may be annoying but it seems it pays off sometimes

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ......