Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Wow, you have a crazy learning curve sister. It took me forever to learn to add more beats to stuff, but both butterflies foward and back i got down easily. Keep going!

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've been told I'm a quick study, though I chalk it up to the power of obsession. I've probably been practicing one to two hours a day every day since I started spinning, which seems like it might be a lot compared to many people. I doubt I can keep it up forever.

Though I am glad to say I met three of my four goals since my last post. Dumb behind the back weave, slowin' my mojo...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
A lot of people start out that crazily. They do tend to slow down after a while though.

But keep practicing. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Arbystranger
1 post

Posted:
Morning/Afternoon/Evening (Delete according to timezone).

Just joined these boards after having read them regularly for the last few months. I was introduced to poi by a couple of friends in the park sometime around April this year. Spent about 5 hours that day stealing their poi, trying to do a 2 beat weave and putting them down cursing after having hit myself in the head a few times and swearing I'd never be able to do it. The stubborn part of me kept picking them up though until at one point later on something clicked. I had an interesting experience of thinking: I'm doing something, I don't know what I'm doing but it's working. That was a cool feeling grin

I've been spinning off and on since then and collected a few more moves. I can now do a few more competently; forwards and backwards 3 beat weave, forwards and backwards butterflies same time and split time, windmill and corkscrew.

I can also do a few things less competently and with slightly more damage to myself and the living room lightshade. I got an antispin flower for the first time last weekend but only with one arm. I was still well pleased with that smile . I need to work out how to do two hands at once next. I find that I progress best if I try to learn a few things at once, otherwise I get disheartened if the thing I'm trying to do just isn't working. If I work on a few things at once then if one isn't working I can play with something else for a while. I probably spend the most time just now trying to work out how to transition between moves, particularly how to put together weaves and windmills to get a fountain. I can get from a backwards 3 beat into the windmill but then I haven't worked out how to come down into the forward 3 beat yet.

Just realised this post is turning into a ramble so I'll stop before it gets any less coherent. Anyway it's prompted the urge to spin so I'm off to assault the living room lightshade again.

Rich

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going. Enjoy beating up that defenceless light-shade....

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
sounds good!
I have sock poi that I use inside...for damage limitation of the furnishings!

Mitch_SanfordSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I just learned how to reverse my 3beat weave. It's fun.

Mitch_SanfordSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Lol, I work overnights too. smile That's when I practice most.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I, too, work nights, where I constantly practice what one coworker calls my "ninja socks" with my free hand. I think not only does it help to have an environment that's supportive and where you can learn from other spinners, but it also helps to have another environment where no one gives a [redacted].

RenfriedPLATINUM Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I picked up my first set of poi about 6 months ago and so far have mastered 2, 3, and 5 beat weaves (still can't quite do reverse 5 beat, keeps nailing myself in the head) 2 and 4 beat windmill and corkscrews (4 beat still a little spotty), btb reverse 3 beat, butterfly, thread the needle, split time butterfly and a variation called the pacman twist (that one is super fun), spiral wraps, anti-spin butterfly flowers, same direction flowers, forwards 1.5 beat weave, standard fountain, 4x4 fountain, buzzsaw and buzzsaw fountains, butterfly buzzsaw, forward hyperloops (can only go from right to left so far), and I can almost do an orbital.

Currently working on figuring out 4 beat thread the needle, split time thread the needle, stalls, plane changes, anti-spin same direction flowers, wall plane flowers, isolations, arm and leg wraps, and just generally trying to learn to flow and transition better so it actually looks good.

Got a bunch of videos of me spinning on youtube @ www.youtube.com/renfried if anyone wants to check it out and maybe shoot some pointers my way. Just now joining the forums, but all my gear has come from HOP. I love this place smile
EDITED_BY: Renfried (1255158392)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's right...

REVERSE BTB 3-BEAT WEAVE!!! IN YOUR FACE!! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD STOP ME BY BRUISING BOTH MY SHOULDERS, BUT I DON'T STOP!! EAT IT, #$(*&$@&#&#!!

Sorry for the caps. I've just been working on this one for a while now. Now maybe I can let my shoulders heal...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've found reverse five beats really want to hit you in the face, and I still get beaned about 20% of the time. It never looks completely graceful, but you need to sort of push over the weave and dodge it at the same time. Virtually every other weave will let you stand kind of still, but the reverse five beat really needs you to move around it.

EDIT: Oh, and I noticed shortly after writing this that when doing my reverse 5-beat, I tend to emphasize the twist too much and it speeds up one of my poi (the one that goes on to hit me in the head). I started focusing on keeping the motion more continuous and flowing, and it's improved my weave a lot.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1256787696)
EDIT_REASON: Additional Note

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Good work. smile

Feels good, yeah?

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
haha, i had reverse 3 beat btb weave down, i was proud and i was letting my eye heal, i knocked my self good and blacked my eye with it. but had it down and started working on 3bt btb again and i seem to have to not necessarily relearn it but get my groove back, i can do 3bt about 2-5 times in a row and then my arms give out on me or get confused or something, and im still working on trying to figure out how to 3bt forward, but dont leave it out to long or you may be in same position i am.

Bam_BamBRONZE Member
Raver X
15 posts

Posted:
Yea i just weighed my poi down with golf balls inside of my tennis balls. Used the great stuff to keep the golf balls form moving inside my tennis balls. I picked isolation up right away. Im so happy smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... I should go through this thread at some point and see what shiny things are buried in the dim past.

Well done on the new stuff by the way. smile

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
same direction crossers
FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Just started this weekend. So far I've learned a few basic things, forward and backward spinning, split time, high turn, low turn, tuck turn, 2 and 3 beat weaves, along with cursing and knotting lol. Next up I think is going to be windmill and buzzsaw.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Well I lost power last night and couldn't post, but yesterday I managed to get a 5beat weave. Still a little sloppy, well maybe more than a little :P, but it's getting better.

Also learned to turn my body around mid weave and go from a forward to a reverse, and got a few turns down with the poi spinning in opposite directions.

Was raining last night and my ceilings are a little low so I didn't get to practice a windmill as planned.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Woot! Crossers are hella fun.

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
oh i love crossers smile.
I am working on uta crossers now so i can transition from crossers - uta crosser back to weaves and reels and what nots
and working on my damn btb weaves trying to clean them up and get them exact/ trying to still get forward btb weave =/

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Crossers took me forever to nail. Then I realised that I was doing them anyway via a something completely different. Now they are fine. smile

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Been a bit since I posted in here, but since last time things have been a little too stressful around the house for me to get much time to spin. Have picked up a few new things though, got the windmill down fairly well, which I actually kinda learned on accident. Every time I try a corkscrew it wants to slowly drift up into a windmill laugh3

Now working on air wraps and butterfly.

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
I just got my furry poi in the mail today. Working on forward/backward spins without them crossing toward each other, naturally. I'm really only posting because I creamed myself in the face and sent my glasses flying (they're fine but my nose hurts now). Felt the need to share. :\

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Well today was a good day. Butterfly, reverse butterfly, split time butterfly, 4 beat corkscrew and windmill, fountain.
Almost got the hyperloops down, and an overhead spiral but I'm still just a little off plane spinning overhead so they're hard to catch.

Not really an impressive list of things I know, but what made all the difference today was for some reason I just kinda hit a point where things just flowed together really well.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I just learned reels again. And I learned windmill extensions.

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Windmill extensions. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. They feel so pretty!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
How are you just learning those? Lol, and they do feel pretty and they look awesome with fire grin I learned those when I learned windmills because I remember my exchange student Lukas doing those. As for what I just learned, I finally got my reverse 7bt weave down.
If you want to know something else pretty, do one beat of each of these in order and repeat: Butterfly, behind the head butterfly, butterfly (extend on the bottom for transition), angel wings (1bt remember that!), and repeat. It looks amazing with fire grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
They're great. They're also my favorite way to go into wallplane flowers: half way through it you reverse direction and go into antispin. Also with both butterfly and windmill extensions, pausing part way through to spin an isolation with both hands also got a pretty good reaction when I did it.

Insert rainbow + star and "the more you know" music.

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitHow are you just learning those? Lol, and they do feel pretty and they look awesome with fire grin I learned those when I learned windmills because I remember my exchange student Lukas doing those. As for what I just learned, I finally got my reverse 7bt weave down.
If you want to know something else pretty, do one beat of each of these in order and repeat: Butterfly, behind the head butterfly, butterfly (extend on the bottom for transition), angel wings (1bt remember that!), and repeat. It looks amazing with fire grin

DOOOOOD! I used to do those all the time!!!! Take pictures of that!!!!!!....They turn out looking so cool! The pattern it make on camera looks like a some kinda spacecraft made of light that around you! You just gotta see it. And also instead of doing angel wings with this, you can just do a BTB butterfly, and it also looks uber cool.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean