Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sun_Puppy

This week, I have mastered the windmill, butterfly turn and weave turn.

YAY me too! Well, I've been windmilling for a while but weave turn, non-turning weave turn and butterfly turn.

I've been spinning on the spot until I feel sick!

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
crossers and anti spin flowers into btb huggies to flowers out of it.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
SINGLE's

- Horizontal throwing

- Back throwing

- Between the leg wraping

- Orbital swaping

- Inverted shoulder contact

- Long-arm-anti-spin buttefly flower

PAIR's

- Orbital passing

- Parallel turning

GROUP's

- Hyperloop trianlge madness

Code:
\ /

\ / \ /

\ / \ /

/ \ / \

uber love,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Seabadgermember
25 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kash

Written by: Sun_Puppy

This week, I have mastered the windmill, butterfly turn and weave turn.

YAY me too! Well, I've been windmilling for a while but weave turn, non-turning weave turn and butterfly turn.

I've been spinning on the spot until I feel sick!

Woo, same (well, without the butterfly turns), although I'm still managing to finnish each a little wonkily.

YellowFeverSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
Hey, haven't been on here for months :-(. Only just got a 'net connection in my flat!

But yeh, in my time away I've learnt:

5bt backward weave.
Turning between forward and backward 5bt weaves.
Turning between btb forward and backward 3bt weaves.
Almost got wall plane btb 3bt weaves.

... and...

I think I can do a butterfly weave, although I'd like to see a video to check, any links?

Keep spinning,
YellowFever.

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
FRIKIN' 'ELL! I CAN DO THE BUZZSAW!.......THE BUZZSAW!!!!!!!!!

btw. this is all due to one excellent DVD! I think you all know what one. Tis 'Scales Of Poi' - Nick Woolsey. biggrin

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
The buzzsaw is cool - I can't do much with it yet but I can manage a basic one.

This week, I have mostly cracked the btb butterfly and the low windmill. The butterfly weave has, alas, beaten me at this time. eek

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Hybrids... finally.

Cracked these after being stranded on the side of the road for the second time with the second flat tire of the weekend. Oh and this was after we lost the muffler too.

Peace, Love, Circles

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Just now I clicked with Antispin flowers smile

@ubersmack buterly turn - same way you do any non horizontal plane poi turns, learn the trick with the poi spinning in the opposite direction to the way you normally spin them, you go from one direction to the other as you turn.

it's a bit easier to get your head round if you learn thread the needle in both directions. unless your butterfly turning by bringing both poi up and over your head.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
 Written by: YellowFever

I think I can do a butterfly weave, although I'd like to see a video to check, any links?

I'm sure I've seen a video of it but I can't find it now frown Here's a [Old link] about it with some useful descriptions - hope that helps!

Last night I learnt some flowers and btb butterfly smile Btb 5bt weave continues to elude me - I'm not even sure why I'm trying to do it anymore cos there's a lot of other simpler moves I could be learning, but it's become a bit of a personal mission now!

Edit: [Old link] The whole thread might be helpful, but scroll down to sketch's post to see the video smile
EDITED_BY: K__ (1155824456)

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
Finally got reverse 5bt weave last night, after a whole load of doing 5 with my right hand and 3 with my left for the past couple of months, while being able to do 5bt forward pretty cleanly. Was really starting to wind me up.. the other night I was *thinking* hard about the move and just kinda went for it, finally persuading my left hand to stick around on my left side for another beat instead of automatically coming over when my right hand joins it.

It's a right hassle when you've got to de-program yourself!

The effort paid off and last night I managed to get the full 5 beats clean and looped... must remember not to try that with fire poi till I've practiced it a bit more!

keep at it

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
That feeling of finally getting 5bt is awesome innit - good work Fractos ubbrollsmile

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
 Written by: K__

That feeling of finally getting 5bt is awesome innit - good work Fractos ubbrollsmile

Definitely progress and a weight off my mind. Speaking of which, another reason not to try it with fire poi is that sometimes I can forget that I'm doing 5bt reverse and end up doing 3bt but without moving my hands across - *WHACK* right on the head. First time I did that was with my practice chains. Ouch.

Daresay it'll get better though wink

Thanks btw smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I learnt to switch between reverse and forwards ttn by turning 180 last night! biggrin Saw someone else doing and tried it myself... worked 1st time, yayness!!

I'm still @ that 5/3 stage with reverse 5bt, fractos... frown or @ least I think that's what's going on... I can't count the beats properly, but I know there's more than 3 and don't think there's as many as 5 (not consistently on both sides anyway).

flowers suck, cos they're too hard...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
yes still trying to get clean flowers shrug

got a couple beats of the btb weave the other day, and can sometimes pull off air wraps.. not very consistant tho.. in fact, i'd go as far to say.. its a fluke when i do get them :P

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Hello. Im new here, and haven't being doing poi for long. Since the begining of the year I really started getting into it. I can do the weave, (split) butterfly, halo, angel wings, one handed butterfly, which I can just about change hands with. Which I'm proud of. Though I can only do the weave and butterfly with fire at the moment. I'm wanting to learn btb butterfly and weave, and under the legs butterfly.

PixieJester

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
WOO!!! bounce2 bounce
I just got sixbeat windmill (without dislocating my arms). Been working on that one for weeks. Also got antispin flowers (still working on cleaning it up), and btb four beat.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
once again, after a bit of a think, the antispin weave makes a little bit more sense...

it now compresses down all the way so that it looks like rev/ed/rovo's version smile

the key to getting it to go small was realising that its a bendy triangle shape that the hands need to make.

like the second one of these:

Non-Https Image Link

not the third one as i had previously been trying to force it into rolleyes

the other way will follow shortly...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Not sure if I already posted and can't be bothered to check so ...

one handed hybrids, continuously without changing sides or getting tangled/twisted

Cole I love your animations!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers dunc - i stole them from meg smile

for the latest in advanced antispin pattern discussions (which i think help no end in understanding the finer points of the concept), see the 'doubles isolated antispin' thread in the stick forum.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
2nd degree forward inversions (finally) tongue

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im still working on the first of those animations cool

Dang linear isolations...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ICoN

Dang linear isolations...

screw linear iso's with poi man - you'll be working on them forever.

never thought i'd say this but, this kind of stuff is so all about the sticks... biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
A productive afternoon for me today - learnt butterfly weave (and reverse ttn in the process) and btb waist wrap smile

The waist wrap's only in one direction though so going back the other way is next on the list...

Thanks to the Airwrap King for teaching me that lot ubbrollsmile

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
eek you learnt butterfly weave the *same* afternoon as reverse ttn?

I learnt reverse ttn a few weeks back (struggled with it for ages), but I'm still nowhere near the butterfly weave... the poi get confused switching sides...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Airwraps smile

I can't do them always still, but I'm finally happy to say I've learnt them as I somehow pulled off 20 clean ones in a row.

I'm finding it much easier with my chain fire poi than my sox though which I thought would be the other way round.

Pogo69 - if you can do reverse and forward TTN you'll find the weave very easy. practice turning 180 degrees doing TTN, you go naturally from fw to rev TTN. the butterfly weave is just that, without actually turning around (in the same way a waistwrap is the same as turning 180 weave (fw into rev) without actually turning)

IE do forward TTN, turn your body 90degrees left, keeping poi in same place, same plane. then move your hands as if turning 180 degrees with the poi, so they move to reverse TTN to your left side, for one beat, then bring them back to original (right)side for 2. it feels very lop sided, as it's 2 clear beats one side, one the other.

/me thinks ... I'm sure I've done a butterfly weave breakdown in this thread once already somewhere actually..lol

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
mmmm... thx yakumo... just more practise I think... I can switch quite easily between forwards/reverse ttn, but only when turning... clockwise, looking if looking down from above... so, I guess I just need to practise going the other way to get that smooth

mmmm... airwraps... they're *very* hit'n'miss for me right now.. more miss, actually... yet more practise required

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
hey, cheers yakumo... biggrin

got the butterfly weave tonight... still needs a little more practise to make it consistent, but it's relatively smooth going either way...

just needed to keep trying... tongue

YellowFeverSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
 Written by: K__

Written by: YellowFever

Edit: [Old link] The whole thread might be helpful, but scroll down to sketch's post to see the video smile

Hey,

Thanks for that. That video is really useful. Turns out I've been doing the reverse version of that, and 5 bts too! Hehe. Can't get my head round the hand movements for just 3 bts! Gonna keep at it though.

YellowFever

psychoaddictSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
hahhaahhahaaaa....i can do forwards behind the back weave.....ive been doing the regular behind the back weave for ages but the up til now when ive tried doing the forwards one the poi just end up hitting me n loosing their direction/momentum....ok so i still look pretty stupid doing it but hey! i can do it without smackin myself!!!!
also just learned a combo- doing weave but doing it sideways on so that its at my right side then bringing it up rightside -into a windmill and then down to my left side-then to windmill again etc......

Page: ......