Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Wow, I'm a little ways behind some of you guys, but oh well, I'm makin progress.

Newest moves- BTB forward 3bt weave and I can get into and out of it smoothly now in my show biggrin

Also I'm still shaky with it but i think I learned a couple of airwrap/hyperloop moves. One is in a forward weave in which I let the chains wrap (about half way down the chain) on the left side and they unwrap on the right side for a neat looking weave combo. The other is from a reverse weave, I let the chains wrap on the left side again, then allow the poi to do a rotation between my arms in front of me, then they unwrap on the right side. Put all this together into a 360 degree combo and it looks kinda neat. What would I call these moves though? I'm guessing the forward one has a different name then the reverse one since the forward one doesn't incorporate a rotation in the middle of your arms and the reverse one I learned does.

I won't be doing the chain wrap moves with fire anytime soon, but I'm planning on incorporating the BTB weave into my next burn! I'm excited about that! It seems to be somewhat of a milestone for most newbies when they finally land the BTB weave stuff, so I'm glad to finally be getting there! I think the "uneducated" crowds are pretty impressed by BTB moves, so I bet these new oppurtunities should greatly improve the flow of my show. Now I can't wait to get the reverse BTB weave and be able to turn with it, then I'll REALLY be cookin wink

weavesmiley cool
EDITED_BY: Big Andy (1076456150)

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Wohoo!
*jumps up and down with joy*

Over the past 4 days I've mastered btb weave turns, and today the 6 beat corkscrew.
biggrin biggrin biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can now change the direction the poi spins through the air without using my hands ~ instead using forearm, bicep or (foot ~ kinda). Bonkers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is this what is technically known as a 'wrap'?

explain yoursefl o tastily talented one...

R

Not quite my feline friend. I can now throw my poi in the air, reverse the direction it is spinning, whilst in mid flight, using my forearm or upperarm, then catch the little bugger as it comes back the other way.

Or slap it back from whence it came, ad infinitum, well, a couple times before flying off in some random direction ubblol

You can either use the arm which released the poi or you can use the other hand which is still spinning the other poi. Which is amazing. The action reminds me a lot of using devil sticks. Except it feels more like slapping a wet fish.

Non-Https Image Link

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yaaaaay slapbacks(to borrow a bit of juggling terminology)

these are lovely. sounds like you've been playing with these a bit more than me, so when i get back to some semblance of fitness i'll have a play with some of these ideas....

hugs
R biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Tail Taps and Head Slaps I tend to call them.

Can't wait till I can spin poi for extended periods of time without using my hands.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
at last!! biggrin

fbtb weave
bbtb to fbtb weave turns (not back again yet tho)
sketchy full waist wrap
sketchy overarm upwards ttn throws (about every 4 beats)

whooo!! i should really make the effort to concentrate on learning new poi stuff more often.... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Wow, I come to Houston and I can suddenly figure out moves better! biggrin

Waist wraps, btb waist wraps. biggrin
And an extremely sketchy 7 beat weave (its just about the limit of the bendiness of my arms!)
biggrin biggrin biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Yeah, being around Spitfire does that for you.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
well,
coleman finally showed me what a inside weave was, so thats cool and insolated wink

i can spin clubs now.

i learnt burks barrage and 441 box stuff, and the pinky lift on the 4 ball stack.

anything else? front to behind the head airwraps. dodgley.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

I learnt some pendulum transitions and continue inside weave movement
ubbloco wave

POI THEO(R)IST

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
btb airwraps, aparently. wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Inverted butterfly thru wraps, this is goin to open up alot o stuff biggrin biggrin biggrin

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
wow... I just read most of this thread and didn't know what any of you are on about - what are all these crazy tricks? Thing is I spin pretty much on my own cos I haven't found anyone yet, and without anyone as good as you lot, its difficult to progress because I can't be told what's possible, and what trick to try 'next'... but anyway well done to everyone, I'm sure all this stuff looks awesome!
I just downloaded an explanation of hyperloops which I had never ever heard of until today, and am gonna try!
7 beat weave.... how the hell do you do that? (Was quite proud of finally getting 5!)

beerchug cheers for the inspiration

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Illumin8, any thing is possible. Don't get bogged down by 'names of tricks' ~ just make sure you try to practice every variation on every pattern you already know.

Try patterns in different positions around your body

try increasing the beat count

make sure your right and left hands are equally strong

Create your own unique style

¦m¦

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I just pinched this move from poipoipoi

total insanity (+ total plagiarism) cheers mate!

Nx? what's 441 stuff? I heard someone try to explain millsmess 441 and it made no sense at all ... care to explain?

progger

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Nice one Boomshanka, all i ask is that you post in the New to You' forum on spherculism. That way other poiple who wanna learn it can talk to you about it.

There can be no plaguiarism of my moves because I don't Own any of them (although that particular one is very dear to me ubblove)

By giving everything away on spherculism all of those moves become 'public domain' which means everyone has equal rights to them.

But if you can do that move then we have got to meet up one day!!! How b@dass would it look to both do that move sync-ed to music smile

Take it easy, and keep up the hard work.

¦m¦

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
boomshanka: this is a 441.

441 mills (you can see an animated version if you go here and click on 'mills mess 414') is the same trick but with arms doing the mills related crossovers and carries.

the confusing thing about siteswap and mills is that because the hands have three positions (right over, open, left over), there are three versions of each siteswap depending on which position you start in.

for a clear example of this go here and type the following numbers into the pattern box (all with the program set to juggle mills mess):

3 [normal mills mess]
414 [the easiest 441 mills]
144 [another 441 mills]
441 [the third 441 mills]

i learnt very little this weekend.
my 4b mills went all wobbly frown
but i came closer to 3b statue of liberty and am starting to get on top of 3b high low showers (both ways).

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
4bt TTN! And reverse...almost. ubbangel

Nice one boomshanka. That move looks pretty hot.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
reverse weave biggrin i have the expression of rabbit whose about to get hit by a big lorry, and arms all over the place, but i can still do it hehe smile

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
factory on both sides

really just wanted to post so i could thank coleman for putting that juggling link up, nice one!!!! beerchug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
yeah cheers for that coleman thats loadsa help beerchug

progger

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
It took me a While, but I finely got the Behind the Back Forward weave and spin into the BTB Bakward Weave!! Now I can spin both ways (360) BTB weaves!! Its funny though, I learned how to do it by using my staff first, getting the BTB forward/backward spins down with it, then brought it to the poi. It helped Heaps!
I have had the BTB bacwards weave for years, but the forwards one was giving me problems. I really just needed to go out and practice it, however I was a bit Procrastinate about it. Had more to fine tune than try the BTBforward weave and turn. Silly really!

Well just had to get a bit exited about it! ubblol

( I forgot about this thread and made a new one ---Ops I'll deleat it) ubbangel

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
It took me a While, but I finely got the Behind the Back Forward weave and spin into the BTB Bakward Weave!! Now I can spin both ways (360) BTB weaves!! Its funny though, I learned how to do it by using my staff first, getting the BTB forward/backward spins down with it, then brought it to the poi. It helped Heaps!
I have had the BTB bacwards weave for years, but the forwards one was giving me problems. I really just needed to go out and practice it, however I was a bit Procrastinate about it. Had more to fine tune than try the BTBforward weave and turn. Silly really!

Well just had to get a bit exited about it! ubblol

( I forgot about this thread and made a new one ---Ops I'll deleat it) ubbangel

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:

Well just had to get a bit exited about it!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
calm down dear.... confused

My cat's breath smells like catfood

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave ubblol
i thought it was gonna be majorly hard so i never tried to learn it....but its soo easy hehe

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
proper hyper loop throws. and damn solid too. why oh why did it take me a year to get confused

head roll isolations(poi) ubblove

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
oh wheesht you

way to deflate everyone else

i nearly got btb not that its yeay after THAT post rolleyes

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

bluecatgeek, level 1