Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Butterfly huggies and a cool TTN thingy with more beats than I can be bothered counting (not that I'm lazy)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I got a butterfly flower, and the forward btb 3beat weave!

And almost got killed by a staff. And had a fight with a kitty kat... and had a great time!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
can nearly do a more than normal beat corkscrew. not sure how many there are in it yet.

And a stoopidly-many beat fountain. And lockout fountains. I wanna lockout above my head. And i wanna isolate a lockout.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
Ive only just started using my sock poi and have fallen in love with wraps, this is my newest and by far the funnest. Weave into single handed wrist wrap then over, unwrap into a hyperloop then switch back out into reverse weave.

Cogito Ergo Sum

FiraBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks to Oli for showing me a new style of playing at the Infected Mushroom gig in Bristol last weekend! It was breathtaking and inspirational!

I think i've finally got the hang of those inversals (is that right?) he was showing me, however, i am stronger playing backwards than forwards, which suprised me. I also find it hard to uncross on the other side, but i can do it sometimes. I been practising every day tho, so i find it all a lot more fluid now!

anyway, hello to everyone here, im new, feel free to flame or praise or ignore!

biggrin

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
my new move would be a horizontal-hyperloop-pirouette-thing. from a corkscrew i go into a hyperloop, throw it up into the air, i spin 360, then catch the two poi. note: the two poi stay joined the whole time, and only sepparate when i pull them apart, as i catch them.

cheers, pete

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fira

I think i've finally got the hang of those inversals (is that right?) he was showing me, however, i am stronger playing backwards than forwards, which suprised me. I also find it hard to uncross on the other side, but i can do it sometimes. I been practising every day tho, so i find it all a lot more fluid now!

Hello! smile

I think you meant inversions... and I learnt them backwards first, they're one of those odd moves where backwards is often easier!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
i managed to do one handed butterfly behind the head!

Yay for me hehe

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
hhheey pete biggrin for the inversions

ive been trying to get my 90 degree plane changes smooth into and from all 6 sides of a box.. is pretty fun stuff

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Donefrostednewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Wow What is split time butterfly?
cartoonagain@hotmail.com
weavesmiley ubbidea

cartoonagain(at)hotmail(dot)com
Donefrosted
Gutter punks are beautiful too!

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I learned full weave BTB the one where you turn and the poi are actually in front of your body then turn and they are behind you, very very reachy. If you keep turning they will go back up in front of you. Like the BTB weave video except poi goi FWds and Reverse in front of my body depending on orientation. BTB weave on all four planes depending on body position. I also learned turning waist wrapped reels, Clock wise, the opposite direction wants to 5 bt weave because of how I start the pattern. long arm counter clockwise, w/poi butterfly time, flower, and long arm butterfly time arms with rvs spinning poi flowers. BTB wall plane airwraps. I can do a version of the upside down BTTfly Hyperloop poi come out in same direction. I also did a split time butterfly hyperloop on accident.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
its been a while so here goes:
waistwraps biggrin
antispin flower
straightjackets
reverse bfly airwrap
3bt fwd inversions with both hands
and with long enough poi, a suicide (but only with one poi, I ain't crazy ubbloco )

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
biggrin

hybrid wheel plane..

forawrds and backwards buzzsaws and 3bt weaves,

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
umm sounds nice... is that using gradients or something?

oh an i've learnt lots since i last posted in here but i can't remember what... more about movement and transitions than actual moves. i'm gonna try and write some stuff down on spherculism if anyone's at all interested!

biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
long arm windmill pirouettes... at last!
just need to work on my spotting now... ubbloco

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Izolated Weave(no sweeps, no buzzsaw, just cross, uncross, cross...)

Throwen still, jeah really, you throw your Poi inna way its flying horizontaly and than stops in the air, you can catch it than smile

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
OKey, took me three days to get around to the most bareboned basics of Isolations. My hand would'nt understand them at all gah.

And now on the last of the three days, I got Isolations winded up in two moves. Weave Isolations, very simple when you know the two types of moves imo. Don't know if it's two or five beats... Here's guessing it's 5. But I wonder with those turns with the hand how many it really is. And amusingly enough I hav'nt gotten corcsqrew yet, however, the amusing this is I think I sucseeded with an Corksqrew isolation today aswell. I sure did a weavy move, and it was isolated and it was turned 90 degrees like a corcsqrew...

Nothing compared to most of you guys, just fun to update my progress somewhere.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im getting waistwraps now.

also, i caught my hyperpirouette 6 times out of 10.

*dances*

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Isolated 5bt weave, isolated flower (still pretty messy though), butterfly through the legs and I'm currently working on btb waistwraps.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Nice job on the isolations, I'm still working on those. I did just get the reverse butterfly through my legs, one at a time and both together, and the fowards butterfly through the legs one at a time going through the front and back.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i learnt a 5bt same time/paralell weave, silly move but i was bored.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I got the corcsqrew! I just got home today, and I had it in my hands. Lol, seriously always wanted to know how to do it, and never really put any work into it, and today I just did it... WOW

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
buzzsaw flowers, both normal and antispin, now onto butterflytime

(ooooh beth that sounds interesting *runs off to try*)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
ANTI SPIN WEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

(see its possible) <~to a specific argument i was having about a week ago

SeventyMilesBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
https://www.bboy.org/forums/showthread.php?p=627881#post627881

MY NEW MOVE

"A beautiful day. When it ends nothing remains the way it was..."

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Haven't learnt a new move in ages, but accidentally discovered btb huggies today biggrin So umm.. yay me ubblol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
regular hyperloop

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
WHoo! I can do a messy but passable isolated weave, inverted buzzsaw, huggies (which are still messy and I can't do anything with them as yet), some very silly airwrap to wristwrap things that look awesome, butterfly airwraps, and I pulled off a pendulum flower. It's really very silly.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Well, finally made it to Glebe for a Thursday night spin, and managed to pick up a few bits and pieces:

- finally learnt how to spin staff properly.

and Poi:

- 4bt TTN (messy, but at least I understand how it works now)

- some weird weave variation which really stretches the back (start a weave, begin to transition but keep your feet anchored, and just twist around your body as far as you can go. Is it a waistwrap or something, perhaps? I'll let you know)

- messy but doable reverse buzzsaw and reverse buzzsaw weave (I think . . . )

Also made myself a staff.

Have fun,

Jazz
EDITED_BY: And all that's jazz (1135941267)

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
my BTB weave double bicep wraps are 100% solid now that i learned where to stall my arms!

i just got both BTB anti-spins in the last couple of days. biggrin but i still can't do them in front tho in any sort of repeatable pattern. frown anyone else learn antispin this way, or am i nuts for not practicing it enough in front? haha. ubbloco

one handed split time butterfly wrap sequences (same arm, leg, opposite arm,...)

-- dut

Page: ......