Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
Yay! I got the 5 beat weave today. I was just randomly waiting for a friend, and boom, it clicked. I went and did fire about an hour later, and did 5 beat with that, but tried a second time and nailed myself. Oh well, it was funny.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Congrats Calvran.....I know how good it feels cause I just got the same move Me so proud of maself...now on to the reverse five beat.

Om Namah Sivaya

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Not sure of the name for this, but I managed to do the split btf with one rotation behind right, front, behind left, front, behind right......
Nice move, it's a supa smooth move when flowing!!
:0)~
Peace

[ 27 May 2002, 10:34: Message edited by: FireMorph ]

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
Alright, this is pretty elementry, but i've never seen anyone do it, and it looks cool, so here it goes. When spinning backwards you can easily wrap your string around your hands 1x or 2x to change length. Then you can spin rapidly, and do quick double bicep wraps while in a weave, and it looks like you are working with nunchucks, then while doing a forward weave you can unwrap one hand to create a weird effect where you see the weave grow from this small "illusion", to an "illusion" with one large side and one small side, or to an "illusion" that goes suddenly from small to large if you unwrap at the same time. It's harder to unwrap while spinning, but it looks much more interesting. Have fun playing with this idea, which is really only for glowstickers, but if you wanna try it with fire be my guest. Peace and love! everyone have a good summer. i REALLY wanna use some of those cool smilies, so here I go, please pay no attention to them. (My favorite )

-later johnny -tallicaburton-

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I got the Mexivan Wave and Horizontal Mexican wave last night
*runs away twirling his balls*

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*bump*

It's a shame I can't say I've learned a new move, but I didn't want this thread to get lost..Perhaps some other people could leave some of their new moves..

plurr
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Well, I am kind of excited by all of the new "flowing" wraps and wrap combinations that I have come up with lately. (READ: Not invented, but made up without any kind of influence or ideas other than my own.)

I listed them out on the second page of CRD's Definitive Listing of Wraps... topic.

Oh, yeah! I got to meet and burn with the infamous Joe Mama last night. Really cool guy. I am getting ready to go meet up with him again before he leaves town. Aaaaaall-riiiight!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah? tell him everybody from tantien says hi! thanks! what a rock star!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Hey, Arashi. Have you ever met Cindy Mack? She has spun with Tantien before, but not been part of the group. Or Lucinda Roberts? Both of them are from here. Lucinda disappeared last year, but I hang out with Cindy almost all the time. She says great things about y'all. (Sorry for the southern slang! )

Speaking of, what would it take to get a chance to travel down there and burn with you guys? I saw Tantien at the Tantra festival 2 Septembers ago in Charlotte @ the Metrolina Expo. Freaking amazing! I don't remember who it was, but I traded one of the girls one of my yellow-with-red-tail Zuni poi for one of her red-with-yellow-tail Zuni's in the blacklight tent beside the van. See if that rings a bell with anyone.

Anyway, for the sake of not starting a private conversation on a thread, I would appreciate it if you would email me. I would like to talk with you some more.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to track Joe down tonight. He was in town touring with the Tiny Invisibility Circus at my friend KC's bar, Fat City. They leave tomorrow, and I think they were partying before they left. Very cool guy. Hope to see him again sometime.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, i'm a space cadet, and it's hard to remember all the names of people we play with. ahh, being a rock star is tough, huh? but they sound real familiar, for sure...
but anyway, i've got two words for you all...
BURNING MAN. we'll be there in full force this year, probably hangin with the El Cirque crew, nextdoor. look for the blue bus, i hope it gets there.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
As this is the "I just learned a new move thread", I'd like to post that after alot of pain and twisting that I don't think I was made to do, I finaly got something that resembles the btb 5-beat weave! The motions are right, the planes suck, and it dies after only a couple revolutions, but there it is

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
did you start it as a bback weave or did you go from another move to that ?? ...... ive tried but i can't transition properlly to a bback weave ....

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I start by doing a 3-beat btb weave (which I can transition into from just about anything). Then comes the painfull twisting part known as 5 beat.

Oh yeah, also learned loads of cool btl stuff this weekend. Met some guy who had just recently taken up poi but has been spinning clubs for 6 years. He had tried btl stuff before but never got anywhere so gave up, thinking it was impossible. Then I did a few basic moves which sparked him to try all sorts of crazy things that he could do with the clubs with poi instead. Some of them look prety good

[ 08 July 2002, 07:02: Message edited by: Jaeden ]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaeden:
As this is the "I just learned a new move thread", I'd like to post that after alot of pain and twisting that I don't think I was made to do, I finaly got something that resembles the btb 5-beat weave! The motions are right, the planes suck, and it dies after only a couple revolutions, but there it is
Congrats, i found one of the most enjoyable things i've gotten out of poi was being able to do the btb 5-beat weave consistant. Something about learning the most technical most useless move in poi imho, heh. You're going to bust you're brain on how to do it forwards. I'd love to see it the next time i see you.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Well that wasn't too hard, and my forward (shin-basher) 5-beat btb weave is smoother than the other one

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I got the 5 beat weave/chase (forwards) last night sort of

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

yummimember
15 posts

Posted:
I GOT THE BTB WEAVE
YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAY!!!

That is all... curse the reverse BTB weave

hehehehe

happy swingin!!

Life is GRAND and i am gratefulNamaste'Ren

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Looooads of new moves over the last week or so... Forward 4 and 5 beat weaves, BTB figure 8 (almost a weave), bouncing one poi at a time of the heel or toe of a shoe to reverse it's direction, turning round holding both poi in one hand and passing them round my back... Some fun stuff on the meteors, passing them behind my back and turning round holding them in one hand, and a slightly dodgy 4 point weave, one handed, and not actually holding the chain, just wrapping my wrist through it at the right moment.

Poi rock. And I should get my first go with fire this weekend...

t.

MYsterfymember
14 posts

Posted:
Where can i go to find a learning video of the move figure 8
i've recently just started and know alot of moves already but am intreged to learn alot more,just bought some electroglo to,very impressed,but fire feels alot nice and a much better rhythm...just got the btb weave,hehe took me a couple mins to figure it out but once goin it was quite fun

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I got this on sunday...ummm don't know how to explain it so well...but it the weave but your facing forward and doing it on ur side...sorta up and under one shoulder...can do it forwards on each shoulder and am working on backwards.

Om Namah Sivaya

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Okay. is The Figure 8 a corkscrew or something? Because that's what I learned in raving terms.

Kinda a weave turned 90 degrees? (praise my spelling skill)

fingalmember
3 posts

Posted:
figure of 8 is a 2 beat weave
the same as corkscrew or windmill but done on your sides

Q:Are you sexually active?R:No, I just lie there.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Been working on a btb in time corkscrew with long (30") chains. It works, but involves lots of leaning and jumping and awkward twisting of the arms. I'll attempt a proper description when I've got it working smoothly.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
um i can finally fluidly perform a double pinwheel (opposite direction) - looks more like a moth than a butterfly...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
alright i have an interesting wrap move i just got down a coupla days ago. it is done by wrappng one poi/glowstick over he top of ur shoulder while u wrap the other one under the armpit of said shoulder.
to simplify one is goin over ur shoulder comin out in ur pit the other one is goin pit to shoulder.
then when you pull them out you let them each do a rotation between ur arms before wrapping ur other shoulder as ur first one, cept the poi/stix will be reversed.
in other words the one that was over the shoulder will be under the pit and vise versa, on ur opposite shoulder.

just tought it looked really cool and descided to share.

one more thing, when doin the rotation between the arms you wanna make sure they are spaced a lil bit apart else you will tangle.

looks like you do a butterfly between ur arms from wrap to wrap. looks cool.

ok, i'm done.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

MYsterfymember
14 posts

Posted:
i pulled off the btb reverse weave finally after spending a solid 3 hours on it....i have a sore nose tho,after i get the third beat and try to keep it goin i wack myself in the nose everytime without fail,i know not a wrap but just funny cuz it's another gimp promoting more falcons haha

Shinova:thefiredemonmember
149 posts

Posted:
i just learned a new move to......even though it is an easy on for you guys it was hard the first trillion times.......then it was more easy as i went along it was a btb butterfly.

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
hey, i just started with poi and the other day i learnt the weave, chasing the sun, windmill, corkscrew and the BTB butterfly, that was a full day of hitting myself as well.
See you all later.

Thomas

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
This truly is an inspirational thread! Congrats to all those who have nailed new moves over the past year!

I've just worked out: reverse butterfly into a behind the back butterfly then back again to the reverse butterfly - without moving my feet - very very simple, but feels very nice to play with

And I'm working on my doubles, still, probably will be forever but have managed to get a sort of forward, and reverse weave thingy happening - bit messy, but getting there. And I can get a windmill thing happpening ok with the doubles too.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.

sammember
32 posts

Posted:
yay meeeee!!!!!

i made up a movve!!!(whith tech advice from fwirl(lydia)).

i calll it the arse rap (please tell me if this is not a new move!!)

wel when doing forwards keep the poi swinging in the same direction, thenturn your body slightly to the side, stick your arse out ,rap the poi under your behind, (the poi should hit you on the opposite hip....this may hurt with beamers) unrap, straiten up, and heypresto!!!

this move does look fairly effective

and again please tell me if this move is already in use

sam

Page: ......