Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I feel really poor! It's taken me a few days to get the hang of doing a rather retarded looking butterfly!!!(This is practising on and off, I haven't really gone spinning poi for more than 15 mins at a time... It's too cold outside at the moment for me to do much!!!)Well never mind, I learned spinning, and erm a butterfly so far!!!! grin Not bad for a little bit when i get bored in free periods during school. tongueTaStu

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey santanatwo it is possible to goto from a reverse TTN to a forwards TTN with a 180 move with out the arms crossed over..i figured this out the other night and i seem to be able to do it now with out a hitch! soon be a breaze with out thinking! also another way with out doing a turn is to do a reverse TTN followed by an arm wrap and then wrap the other arm to and follow through into a forwards TTN grin that also looks good..erm i think COL2 just got me hooked on wraps lol

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
been busting my ass all night with this....i have been on ocasion trying to do a one handed butterfly for a month or 2..the one handed was easy but after a week i was trying to get it behind my head! not so simple so i havnt tried it for so long..until today..messing around with my meteors i managed to do it with a reverse butterfly..managed 5 continuos beats front to back and managed 3 beats behing my head with one attempt..so i been reading the board here fer hours tonight and every ten mins pick up my poi and give it ago..damn i got it down with my poi in reverse..got it sorted every time.tried it spinning forwards..dang same again got it after 2nd attempt. just as easy in both directions!i found all you have to do is keep your hand in a fist with both poi handles facing forwards away from you.Get them spinning nicly in one hand so they dont clash together at all, else you will alter the spin pattern, then as you reach the top of the spin and just start to feel the pull down move your arm gentally and smoothly as far behind your head. once you feel them pulling back up to the top again bring your arm back infront, dont rush else they will clash and hit you in the face this is a slow move so be warned. this works exactly spinning in both directions. just keep the fist with a nice speed of rotation and a smooth glide over your head/sholder, feeling your poi all the way then maybe try a few extra beats behind and infront grinhave fun with this...cos i'm sure gonna love mixing this new one in with the other'shappy spinningpk grin [This message has been edited by vain-ego pk (edited 12 January 2002).]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well in the past I had tried some BTB weaving and it hadn't worked.I decided to work it out today and managed to get some BTB crossovers, but couldn't get the weave from forward spinning. I tried it starting from reverse and about 10 min later (after being covered in soot and bruising my right calf) I got it.All I can say is the BTB reverse weave is no longer on my "overrated" list!! wink------------------Iggity-aggity-oop-eh-eh! Ziggity-zaggity-zoo-ah-ah! Oooh-ooh-phblt! Eh-eh-ackh! Flippity-flappity-floop![This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 03 February 2002).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
tee hee grinI learned the weave.. was a b!tch to learn grinI don't have anyone to learn from any the lil animation in the lessons part helps only slightly.I do have a great video that showed me how to do it smileI picked it up in seconds grin though granted I had a good idea.I'll post a URL to the place I got the video soonish in like.. a different area (not this thread)But.. yay for me grinI can start playing again.. I got all pissed with poi after whomping myself in the nuts too many times.. so I picked up CJ instead ;D now I got two things to play with..-OrinPS: yay for all of you too grin

Once I cut my hand, but the wound was not part of me.
Now I'm a man, there's a wound at the heart of me.

4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
hey you people from sydney yeah were abouts and how old are you

the risk is the rush

4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
some of you ppl r from new south were abouts and how old are you

the risk is the rush

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
YAY !!! WHOOOAAA !!!!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY grin grin grin Managed to get the TTN fountain (Split time and same time)I think I also got a kind of TTN weave.. not quite sure how to explain it but it seems to switch from left to right and back far quicker than doing the fountain. The arms do seem to cross over each other a lot more and the timing on the flick from L to R and R to L has to much much sharper (especially doing it in same time)I get really Zenn'd out doing it though.. feels wonderful !!ps: trying to work out a nice smooth 360 degree turn of TTN's (in both directions, doubled and tripled). I'll be one happy bunny when that happens !!------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 15 January 2002).][This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 15 January 2002).]

Kato

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Just got two sets of Poi last week for my wife and I. Her level of fascination with Poi is, shall we say, not as high as mine. So she's only spent about half an hour total practicing.I've been able to find about an hour or so to practice (total time of about 5 separate practice sessions) HOWEVER, I have made some progress. So far I'm got down:Forwards and backwards in equal and split time. Whoo Hoo! winkButterfly.Alternate Butterfly with my right hand, not quite with my left.Low TurnTuck turn to the right, not quite to the left yet.High turn to the left.3 beat forward and backwards weave3 beat forward weave into a 180 turn into a 3 beat backwards weave then another 180 turn (while still weaving) to get back to a forward weave.And yesterday for the first time I did about 4 beats of a one handed butterfly. But I can't seem to get out of the one handed butterfly. That may take another hour winkI'm just glad I got the soft practice Poi. I keep getting thumped in my ear and on the back of the head.Saturday I was having so much fun during my short Poi practice session that I got out my juggling clubs and devil sticks for a full juggle workout. Cool. I just wish I had someone to pass with.Too many fun things to do, not enough spare time.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Yay Dru!Keep up the good work. Pretty soon your wife will spot you doing some kick-ass moves and wonder why she's wasted all that time when she could have been practising. Glad you've got your toys and you're having fun grin------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I hope so. I think it would be fun to spin together. But I think she just thinks it's weird.Also, I have the advantage on her of having done weird performance stuff before like Juggling, Devil Sticks, and so on. I even made my living as a magician for a couple of years so I'm use to doing strange stuff in front of people.So for me this is just another one of those "weird juggling type things" that I do. But for her there is a serious level of "I feel stupid doing this and I'm sure I look stupid doing this" sort of self conciousness. So we stay in the backyard where nobody can see us and spin. smileIn my short time with Poi I have noticed that while the big flapping tails of the Practice Poi I got from HOP look and sound cool, I think I'd like a poi with no tails at all. Sort of like a beaming poi but made out of soft bean bags. I may have to learn to sew so I can make myself a pair.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

LibraGOLD Member
47 posts

Posted:
grinI did the TTN fountain today grin

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Discovered this by accident last night. Tuck turn to the left (spinning forward in equal time, both poi go under the right arm pit while the body turns to the left 180 degrees). Come out of the tuck turn immediatly into a reverse 3 beat weave (which means going into the turn in equal time and coming out of it in split time so one hand has to accelerate that poi coming out of the turn)Variation: As I come out of the tuck turn and into the reverse weave the poi move to my left side. Immediatly do another 180 degree turn to the left while weaving and you end up facing the original direction doing a forward weave.It all started as a mistake. My poi didn't come out of the tuck turn together and my hands just sort of went into a weave to keep the poi from hitting me in the face. wink

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Yehss! I got the one hand weave and part of the one handed reverse weave/turn! (I don't even think it's a move, but HA! I made it then!)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Just got that 360 continuous TTN turn and I'm well chuffed. AND I can do it in both directions! grin grindon't quite understand how to do a TTN Fountain though: Isn't a fountain a weave move and the TTN a butterfly move confused

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the TTN fountain is like you say a "weave move" simply for the way you stand as you do it. fountains are done on either side of the body as you look forward not as a normal TTN where its done in front. See! for the 360 TTN is again a fountain you just learn the same moves front to back back to front from left to right from right to left...all with that arm crossed over or under for every swap from forwards to reverse, if you say you can do it..then you will understand completly what i have just explained..i wish you luck.PK
Non-Https Image Link

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
Yes! its 4:30 in the morning, but I figured it out! I've been complaining that i didn't understand weaves, but now I understand them better! I'm doing this double wrap around my right bicep, so i'm doing a weave, then wrap, do reverse weave, then wrap, do weave, then reverse weave. I've been drilling my right arm all night wraping my right poi forward and backward, forward and backward. I like wraps, there fun, well, they would be if I could do them someplace else besides a double on my right bicep.I'm working on the thigh wraps, only prob is I tried a wrap where both poi come from behind to wrap one on each leg, and I nailed myself really hard.... I should wear protective gear while spinning....I also figured out this nice move where when reverse swinging I loop the strings around my hands so i can play with strings half my normal length, and then bring em out again while spinning, it is pretty cool. Well, I better finish reading my history homework....Good night everyone, happy spinning! -John

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
OOOO!!! OOOO!!! Guess who just learned how to wrap? (oh, its me!!! its me!!!) My problem was, I kept trying to do that BF wrap where it looks like spirals... And after wraping with JUST my right hand, I would try to BF, which is impossible because my right poi is going the wrong dirrection.... So now I can do double BF leg wrap, that Spiral Wrap, a BF-> right bicep wrap-> weave, a weave->bicep wrap->butterfly.... I am soo happy! Wrapping isn't as hard, once you get it, all you need is a little practice. smile I REALLY need to practice my BW BF, before I never really NEEDED it, I could just do a 180 3 beat, and do a forwards BF, but NOW....I need to get it down really comfortable....Sometimes I tangle, mostly when I try a BW BF double leg wrap.... any suggestions? This adds a new element to my spinning smile I was afraid things were going to get borring....I have no real drive to learn how to BW 5 beat 360.... but now that i can wrap, I can learn new transitions, and should learn a BW BTB 3 beat, so I can BTB 3 beat 360, AND THEN DO A WRAP! smile Wow, any visitor to HOP would probably get lost with all the acronyms.... Well, learning them all is about as easy as a BTB 5 beat 360-> WM -> bicep wrap to alternating BF.... keep the lights spinning, peace -john

DiLmember
5 posts

Posted:
hey everyone i just got the reverse weave!! woot woot ::does a lil dance::Now i am got a good move basis goin ya!I am trying to perfect 5 beat weave, then i am moving on to weave turns and quad corkscrew! yaya!

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
Ok i figured out a new move. Kindof a silly one. Its an under-the-leg (utl) onehanded butterfly with a release recovery to a reverse spin.

^_-

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
just found this site over the weekend.made me first set of poi last night...first post on the hop board. dun dun duhhhgot meh butterfly and reverse butterfly [both giants, too]also got this new one..havnt seen it, so i dunno...i'll esplain ;]starting off, you go for teh buterfly, thengiant butterfly, then instead of going back to the butterfly you bring them back, slow them down a bit, and you're going in the opposite direction that you started in.haha... maybe not so original, but its fun =]anyway...sorry if i didnt describe that very well. anyway, thats it from me [for now ;]i'll be posting on this thread more often as i get more tricks down and such...wish me luck grin::likwid

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Likwid:Welcome to HOP.I've also had spontainious direction reversals. Isn't it cool when you suprise yourself with a move?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, wraps kick ass, they smooth out a spin so much, letting you change direction so much more quickly...it adds an incredible new dimension to spinning once you get it....i was so excited when i finally understood the concept of them that i sat down my mom and explained it to her while she just looked at me blankly, and asked "are you supposed to be hitting yourself" at which poin i almost screamed, but oh well, she said i looked retarded when i first showed her my BTB weave, so im kinda used to it by now...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!I got home early today, and had three hours spare, I managed the reverse 3 beat weave/turn, and the 5 beat weave! (I've been trying to do it for weeks!!!)I'm now going to try a couple of behind the back moves.I'm SOOO happy!! smile------------------As voted by you, the viewing public.

robingreenshoesmember
32 posts

Posted:
Firstly, congratulations to all. smile smileSecondlyWEHEY WEHEY WEHEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I can do a reverse weave !!I have never tryed to do anything backwards before but I found the only way out of the corkscrew for me was backwards so I thought it would be nice to be able to do something backwards before I started going forwards again and it just happened!! smile(I'm happy smile)

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
weee.. just got the weave down yesterday gringoing to work on the reverse weave today...and thats it for today [i think ;]::likwid

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
tee hee, i got the quad corkscrew/windmill, forwards and reverse...i always get giddy when i learn a new move...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Would be cool if you post also here new move besides the one on the this page alredy!!!! dont you think so??

Dance like if noone were watching you

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I learned how to do a weave!!Almost exactly 1 year ago! smileAlso, its my 400th post w00t!Proud that i've posted most of those 400 in the moves section smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
After a rather sedentary 10 months of practicing Poi in the backyard I feel I'm finally starting to get the Poi flowing. I got the fountain (around the world/shower) last night, and now surprisingly enough, everything is starting to fall into place. I have never been happy with my rev weave - windmill - fwd weave fountain. And, while it's basically the same trick. The fountain I've been trying to get is like an "around the world" with the wrists tight together all the way around. I think it's the one Diana the Huntress describes as "basically six double follow circles spun along the course of a larger circle". I just love the way this move flows, and it lets you transfer smoothly into other combinations. Diana's post.I got the reverse btb weave a while ago, but I have always had trouble with the other one. I kept getting stuck in btb butterflies, which btw have improved remarkably through this process. So, after getting the fountain I got a bit more aggressive and started turning into the btb weaves; and well it working. I love butterflies, and thanks to Whiffle Squeek's hints I'm finally getting the beautiful alternate BF transfer working smoothly. Man, I could do that move all night. I dabble in clubs so my reels are solid, and I just love making all those circular patterns. I know there is heaps more to learn, but I'm happy to be doing 5 beat weaves, btb weaves, corkscrews, fountains, wrapping into butterflies and doing reels, shortening chains for buzzsaw etc. So I'm delighted that finally all that practice is starting to paying off, and I will soon have a decent routine. Cheers and happy spinning smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: ...