Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I just noticed something... I can do the rvs 5 beat weave... but not the bloody rvs butterfly.I thought i could but its nowhere near as smooth and relaxed as my fwd butterfly... and im scared of hitting myself in the head! Does anyone else see the vague irony in this...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
wow..couldn't believe it. I was just on break at work, and I decided to try a reverse ttn and succeeded, very smoothly too! So I guess I can add that to my repitoire.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

EmanSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
CrazyRaverDude-good idea, about going from fwd to rev back to frd then back to rev on either side. i have been doing that move for about 3 months now, and it looks sick, and its really easy to do. i dont know what it would be called though, i kinda thought about a 7 beat weave, but that wouldnt work because weaves have to be mostly in front of you. one has to turn alot while doing this one, but im glad someone could explain it better than me, i tried posting the move, but did a shitty job explaining. Just wanted everyone to know, that I FINALLY got the btb weave last night after weeks of trying!!! it was a good day; any advice on turning with the btb weave, i always hit myself on my opposite leg. thanks everyone!!!!! happy twirling, Eman

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

EmanSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any advice on the btb butterfly, i can get it but not all the time, is there a definite place where your arms should stay to make it easier????thanks,Eman

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

dcanseemember
11 posts

Posted:
Greetings everyone.....A little something that I have achieved a few weeks ago that you might want to try...thread the needle but instead of only one rotation before changing to the next one Wrap you arm that is moving forward around the other then push forward quickly to do a DOUBLE ROTATION!!Yeap DOUBLE THREAD THE NEEDLE....Couldnt believe it when I first saw it....Happy TwirlingDeviant

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Deviant,I'll have to try that one tonight...sounds phat :PEman,As for BTB turning weaves, I would say that first you should get down completely pat both forward and reverse weaves. I find it easier to start from a reverse weave, right when the first poi is about to switch sides, turn your body the opposite direction. I would say turn farther than you think you need to, to help from hitting your opposite leg. (also helps to contort your body sometimes when first learning moves..hehe)As for BTB butterfly, I find the reverse BTB btfly easier to do. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, I had the same problem it sounds like you have. The easiest way I learned it was to stagger the butterfly(split time), and go into it behind your back. Once you have split time down pat(with your wrists next to each other behind your back), then work on moving close to same-time.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Now that I've learned the reverse TTN, I have now learned the 3 point TTN! :P Sweet.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
As abig step towards btb weave, I learned to btb figure 8. Not for very long, but it was sustained, though it needs work.My calves hurt! frown------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
I finally figured out what i've been doing wrong on the stupid butterfly... sad huh? heheheh... actually don't know what made me change my hands from ryt being bottom front to top back but i can do it now.And I think I got the 5 beat weave last night too. While doing the weave instead of following my right hand down onto my left side i bring it over and make do a beat with each, then as they start to wrap around each other(my arms) another beat a piece and then this time around i do a slight wrap on (can't remember which arm) and bring it across.. hmm maybe its a 6bt.. *shrug* anyways i was happy.got a lot of kewl combos last nyt too... chains are so much easier to learn stuph with, now i gotta find out if i can do it with gsticks.(what lead to this was i got my poi from Malcolm and the weight is so much better than glowsticks)-happy wulff

wulff

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I can do a (9 beat????) windmill by wraping on my left hand in front, unwrap behind my head, then wrap on left again while it is behind my head, then unwrap in front and so on. I actually have no idea how many beats it is, but it is a lot (probably between 7 and 9). if anybody else can learn it let me know, cause I wouldn't mind knowing how many beats I am getting.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499149)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - I was pretty happy to get the 5-4-5 beat fountain consistent the other day...and I've got this nice little neck spin -> chin catch -> rvs neck spin combo happening on staff which is pretty cool...not consistent yet tho..Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 24 October 2001).]

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I like the 5-4-5 fountain..looks the best IMHO. Switched up with the "rolling" weave or whatever you want to call it these moves look sick.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Sweet! Just nailed turning weaves, both directions! Can go back and forth. Haven't tried doing a 360 BTB...hmmm have to try that when I get home. :P Huzah for me...------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Santomember
9 posts

Posted:
I got the BTB fountain last week, well I think that's what it is, switching from reverse btb weave to forward btb weave while keeping both feet in the same position. Are many other people doing this move? I think it looks amazing as the outer circles of light end up infront of your body as you face forward the whole time and the middle circle is behind your back. This is going to go 5 beat pretty soon as well, but my 5 beat reverse btb weave just isn't happening frown. Also tryed twirling with hulla hoops attached to handles and they work just like poi! it's amazing they don't bash into each other at all and under UV with fluro hoops! My eyeballs are still shaking. This also means that anything that sits in a single plane can have handles attached and be spun, I'm thinking 5 point stars with a flames at each point (hehe). AAAAnd while I'm ranting on aboot my flame filled adventures, we pulled off this classy stunt last tuesday... Javier and I often twirl with long poi while standing on each others shoulders, its very relaxing and looks funky I reckon, but last tuesday we tried somthing a little trickier, we got me standing on his shoulders doing a one handed butterfly above my head (so it looks like an atom, both planes slightly tilted?) then in the other hand I can hold a juggle torch and do a firebreath out of the centre of the atom. We fell down in a keroscene soaked heap pretty soon after that though smile are many other people incorporating acro into their twirling? People doing 3 person fire dragons everywhere? Sorry if this sounds like a blah blah I can do this blah but we're stuck here in Tasmania and don't really know whats going on in the rest of the fire world. If you come to Hobart, twirling is on every tuesday at salamanca and we love new people. Probably in summer we'll be lighting fires all over the place though. quote of the week?"put it down Gene, just PUT IT DOWN!"

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
John counted the wraping windmill for me...he said I was getting seven beats in front and seven in back, too. So I guess it is a seven beat windmill. I'm sure it would work for a corkscrew too.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Very, very, very pleased to have finally cracked the forward 5 beat weave on Saturday afternoon grin

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I LIKE POI.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

poinewbiedudeVAmember
5 posts

Posted:
today i learned a few new tricks, good day.Master the 5-beat foreward weave, the alternate butterfly sequence thing, and this one i guess you might call the giant butterfly turn. You simply turn at the apex when your hands cross and go into a backwards butterfly.Oh btw, nice to meet you all. I love this website, the lessons have really really helped. I only started about two weeks ago, and can now hang with the big boys up at Nations(rave club in DC, aka buzz, and yes its triffling but at least i can spin poi all night).[This message has been edited by poinewbiedudeVA (edited 29 October 2001).]

vcv

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:cheers: can trastion very smoothly from forward to reverse weave, and my BTB butterfly is coming along very nicely :pats self on back:[This message has been edited by Whiffle Squeek (edited 30 October 2001).]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Wraps aren't my thing but this one i love... I was turning from BTB foward weave to BTB reverse weave and accidentally did a double wrap around the upper part of my arm, took me a while to do it again. Basically start out doing a fowrad BTB weave and when your left poi is on the right side, let it revolve once and then on the upswing, do a single/double wrap around well i guess its more of an armpit wrap... if you are female, pleeeease be careful... im probably not going to be able to breast feed on one side shockedI was also thinking that perhaps you could wrap both poi.. one armpit wrap and maybe a bent elboe thing and then continue doing a BTB weave in the opposite direction? hmmm... again, wraps arent my thing so for any of you pros that have variations, please let me. hehe, im so obnoxiously proud of my new moveI love this thread... my friends and family who are tired of listening to all my boasting love this thread too

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yoyoyoyoyo,got the backward finger spind on the double staffs, opend up about 8 new tricks.me so happy!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hahahaha!I do staff twirling quite a bit now, and I've always found it easy and fun. The other day I was twirling while my friend was spinning poi. I did a weave move and he looked at me oddly."That's a five-beat weave" he said"is it?" was my reply"yea. do it again"I repeated the move. Then found about forty different ways to do a three-beat weave with a staff.I suggest you all try it....it's a lot of fun.Oh yes...I also figured out that using a staff makes it possible to do unlimited-beat weaves. Just add drop-spins or finger-rolls at the sides....cheesy I know, but fun to imagine a 10973-beat weave.

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
i'm still trying to get this move perfect, but it requires more wrapping skill than I currently have to pull it off consistently. whilst doing the butterfly, lift up the right calf like a flamingo. Then swing the left poi behind the back to wrap on the leg, and the right poi goes behind the head to wrap around the left bicep. right now i'm trying to work it into combos, but like i said, i'm not that much of a boss.yet smile

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Poiboy- are you stsrting with the foward or reverse butterfly??either way, im having a tough time... hhmmm..maybe i need biceps

poinewbiedudeVAmember
5 posts

Posted:
Man, learning moves so fast i can't even keep up. Got the behind the back foreward weave, one handed bf startup, some crazy new bf power move(totally nuts), btbbf, switching from inline to alternating bf(one hand and two handed, reverse and btb), learned the reverse bf ttn, some new giant bf variation(way cool), and a few others i can't even remember.I learned all of these in two days, for real(three hours a day practicing pays off). GOD I LOVE POI! Somebody help please,I CAN'T STOP SPINNIG!

vcv

poinewbiedudeVAmember
5 posts

Posted:
man, learning moves so fast i can't even keep up. Got the behind the back foreward weave, one handed butterfly startup, some crazy new butterfly power move(totally nuts), behind the back butterfly, switching from inline to alternating butterfly(one hand and two handed, reverse and behind the back), learned the reverse butterfly ttn, some new giant bf variation and a bunch of others i can't recall now. GOD I LOVE POI!someone help me I CAN'T STOP SPINNING

vcv

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:kicks BTB reverse weave: mwhahahaha, take that b*tch move, thats for all those bruises on the back of my legs, hehe,yeah i finally nailed it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I just learned a jump 360 windmil, keeping the hands on the back of the neck while doing it. You can "sling" the poi more towards horizontal when you do the spin, or you can keep them in the same plane the whole time. (John showed it to me)

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Horizontal TTN switching from top to bottem. Needs more work. Started as a horizontal bf. Also found anice addition. On the bottem beat of the bf do a second beat and twist your wrists up so the insides are facing away from you then there's a way to do a wrist wrap and send them back up in the oppisite direction and repeat the wrap on top to send them back down.. I haven't even managed a beat of it yet.Also in the works is a left right wraping bf. left poi forward right poi reverse. left poi wraps under right bicip at the same time right poi wraps over right bicip. then onto the other side in the same fashion. On this one I noticed that if you can do it in split time there's no chance of a tangle.I'm cooking up a way to post a theory sheet. I'm still working on the details but pretty much it should provide insight to every move that is possiable in theory. However pulling off what comes out of this might be tough smile------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Page: ...