Forums > Social Chat > If you lost your arms....

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I know its a little morbid, but i went to the Vans Warp Tour here in Houston, Tx over the weekend (Concert with about 20 bands, with ramps set up for skate boarders, rollerbladers, and freestyle BmX) And i saw this guy skateboarding Vert ramp with one leg.On his missing limb, he had a metal appendage and foot, slipped into a an airwalk shoe. He was going off. Pulling tweaks, and 360's. I didnt even realize his leg was missing for about 10 minutes.Anyway, Mon evening i was thinking about it, and i thought if i lost my arms, would i still twirl Poi, or could i?(prepare yourself to laugh)SOoooooo. I sat on the floor with my legs in the air, and hooked my straps to my toes, and tried it. It wasnt pretty, but i figure after a bit of practice, i could get a Butterfly down. weaves would be hard because or legs dont bend the same as our arms. I have a strong feeling i am alone on this one, but has anyone else tried this?Then again, think of the response from the crowd, if you were performing, and you sat down and started spinning fire with your toes.and yes freetime here at work is plentiful at the momentSuper'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Superman !Thank you for the laugh in the middle of my office !!!!!!!!!!However, your question is really interesting. Obviously you chose the most extreme situation. No arms ? I'd say staff would be easier to twirl in this case because of its rigidity (eeee... rigidity ? you know ? I mean the fact that it is a straight object ???) Anyway...is true also with : what if I were blind. I personnaly did not come up with your "no arm" chaos possibility, but the "blinding " issue comes up to my mind every once in a while.That is when fire would definitely be easier : you hear it and smell it and feel it too. But imagine the concentration you'd need... And imagine what an inner voyage it would be cause it would no longer be about "hey, how do I look when I do this one" ...But question could also be : what , in your opinion, would prevent you from spinning ? I guess my answer right now would be : my mind...woooooooooooo sorry if that is a bit off topic, but you got me thinking, THANK YOUShine on, Superman !!!Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This is actually interesting because I was having a discussion with somebody a few days ago and tried to make a point by saying "look, if I lost my arms, I sure wouldn't call myself a firedancer". But I can almost imagine working a baton with my toes.And Cassandra--I usually twirl with my eyes shut. I have a friend who has done fire-poi and staff (including throws) wearing a blindfold.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's really not very hard to do most moves with your eyes shut... never tried throws, though. Practice practice practice, I guess...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Bloody hell doing it with your feet is tiring!The main problem i had was that the loops got caught on your foot because it cant move around as much as your wrists can so they'd wrap around my heel or ankle all the time... i managed to get a two beat weave going for a few seconds until they hit each other... then my dog came and sat on me.Somehow I don't think I'll be adding this to my routing anytime soon... wink------------------Blackie

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
people are actually trying this....awesome!!i spin with my eyes closed every now and then to try keep myself from thinking so much.i saw a guy on T.V. yrs ago on a show called thats incredible. He solved a Rubic's Cube in less than a minute with his feet.Haaaaa! I have it! Fire toes..ok this is officially getting scary."S""S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
ah but one thing i have tried is... if you lost one arm... twirling with one poi on your arm, the other in your MOUTH...i can do a butterfly, and a two beat weave, and a sort of three beat weave. but you get dizzy rather quickly........... ........ ..... . . ... . ... ....... . .............. ... ...... .. .. . . .......... ...... ..

poiboimember
2 posts

Posted:
hahah...damn u guyz r u high...it be so hard to perfect poi wif ure feet. i wonder if any1's done it yet...i tried and i hit my balls :O lolanyway...if u perfect it...give me a shout---------------------------------------------:O >>>kids aren't influenced by video games...if that were true everyone would be running around in a dark room, munching on majik pillz, and listening to loud repetitive music...<<< :O https://www.geocities.com/poi_boiz

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i sometimes think about if i couldnt walk if i could still do poi sitting in a wheelchair.i'm sure i could and would.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine dislocated both his knees at the same time, and he spins on crutches. I tried the foot thing a while ago (out of frustration at not finding Super in rome ;-)) and got it to work decently well. Definately tiring, and probably not to spectacular by itself but... how about doing feet and hands at the same time? I could get a decent corkscrew (or was it a windmill, i was on my back) and I was thinking doing a corkscrew in the hands at the same time would create a kind of two level effect. Heaven help us if this thread ever takes off...------------------"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
*bump*I was about to post a topic about something very similar to this, then thought - mmm search first.I was just playing with my "pre-staff-construction" aluminium piping with my feet, and started moving it between my big toe and the others. Very difficult (especially since I only started staff with my hands this weekend!).BUT! I can do 180° rotation in one foot, pass to the other and rotate another 180° then pass back, rotate etc. very little control and don't thinkI'll ever try it on fire, but for those more adventurous staff workers....hmmm

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If i lost my arms I'd check behind the sofa. That's where I usually lose stuff tongue------------------C@ntus

Meh

poiwondermember
21 posts

Posted:
I'd spin with my nipples if i lost my arms smile

Hey chicky chick, check slick Nik flick sick tricks with glow sticks and lit wicks real quick!...;) (IM:cmsnr grdn)

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
lol, the nipple spinning would be something id have to see, i do reguarly spin wiht my eyes shut, its relaxing somehow, and i have spun while kneeling, like if my legs had been cut off at the knees, and its a rather cool effect to turns and stuff all while rotatiing on your knees, and its really fairly simple, just gotta keep your arms raised up a little so the poi dont hit the ground, its fun

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
OWEE OWEE OWEE Nipple spins would have to be lightweight poi, or you might just "tear yourself a new one". EEEEEEK blushThere have been a couple of threads on doing staff moves with your feet, and you really do notice what the opposable thumb does for us as a species...Now, can anyone do poi by tying them to their dreads or hair, or perhaps their nosering??? grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
Yeah....dont remind me.....my nose still hurts a bit from my last 'poinosepiercingtwirling' trick...not recommended, I can assure u!!!!!------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I tried spinning my poi with my feet yesterday. I was hanging from the patio beams and doing a horizontal butterfly under my feet. It was hard, and very sloppy - but fun nonetheless smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I recently saw at the beach here where some local spinner meet a guy performing on the beach. He was an escape artist. He had a tripod shaped thing that was probably about 10' or so in the air. He had a crank and a rope that was attached at the top(crank at the bottom). He put a straight-jacket on and had volunteers wrap thick chain around him and padlock it. He would then be hoisted into the air and escape out of the straightjacket and chains in front of everyone in less than three minutes.*wonders how long he could spin poi upside down* Or even better..if one could spin with their legs upside down..------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Glowkumember
1 post

Posted:
Wow this is actually very interesting. Imagine doing a head stand and "Foot Poi" at the same time. That's something only insane people would do... (I'll be back have to try this ^_^ )

Greensmember
4 posts

Posted:
If i lost my arms i could think of another way to spin. I'm not going to say how, but lets say i could onlt use one poi at a time wink