• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...6162636465...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Nailed forward anti spin weave...

Been playing with a bit of anti spin and ways of getting into it...

and nailed reverse hyperloops at last.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Total posts: 1376
Posted:Crossarm inverted fountains biggrin Cheers to duballstar for the idea - and if he's reading I don't think you need a watermill - although it seems to work by turning the wrong way! Need to figure out exactly what's going on!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Bastard Newbie Messiah
Total posts: 1269
Posted:o.O what would you need a watermill for in a fountain? the tricky part should be the bringing it back at the bottom of the forward weave side.. for example if you are doing a clockiwse fountain.. when the left hand swings under the right arm pit (twisting in the back) try and leave your right forearm twisted like it was coming over shoulder with the wrist at the highest point but the arm as low as you can take it.. this gives you something to aim for with the left poi.. try to get the left poi to wrap a little on the right wrist.. that way you can pull it like a thruwrapped inversion when you twist your right forearm from back overyour shoulder-like, down into the inversion, to pointing behind at hip level.. (since the fwd crossarm inversion pushes back out to the same side its on.. ) and lead to the front as normal..

once you get the hang of it you wont need to thru-wrap.. its a weird little roll.. whihc will come in handy learning the next level up inversions.. so kudos when you get it..

sorry for the poor explanation, but maybe something in there might help..

I learned some new inversions today too..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Lucas A
Lucas A

Total posts: 41
Posted:Manage to ace the 5 beat weve and do one revolution of the backwards 5 beat weave.

My outwards butterfly is crap so I manage to learn this quite well today smile

Total posts: 4
Posted:Um....sounds so feeble but i got thred the needle the other night - hey it was good for me! I was proud - all gotta start somewhere right???

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:i managed to do a something beat weave today

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

In other words, it's the thumps bump

Note to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
Total posts: 107
Posted:7bt reverse weave and btb 5bt weave

Im working on cleaning my flowers and btb stuff up and some orbital(Hyperloop) Transitions such as gumbies and the such.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:More flow, less actual moves. Ok so it's not a new move, but I'm happy about it!

oh yeah and some negative space things, which are fun!

*feels justified posting in new moves thread*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
Total posts: 4030
ubblol ubblol
I just HAVE to tell you!!!

I have NEVER in my life spun socks cos I started with long ribbon poi and then to glowies and then fire and I just didn't 'get' socks though it looked cool when other clever people did wrappies and all that. I just felt stooopid with them. But lately I've started to wanted to try (inspired by Ry)
WELL!!!!! ubblol ubblol
Tonight I took some out with me when I went dance to an African band and felt all loose and happy and went outside to cool off and had a play in the park and GUESS WHAT!!!

For the first time I did some sort of airwrappy thing that I wouldn't have a clue what it's called and it's probably a weed not a flower and a perversion not an inversion BUT it wrapped itself up and unwrapped itself and i could do it both sides and it was FUN!@!!!!!!OI#*$&*#(Q#

YAY bounce bounce2 clap bounce2 bounce biggrin ubblol beerchug beerchug beerchug bounce

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Newgabe: Ive seen that somewhere before wink

I havent seen this thread before ubbangel

2 days ago... I did learn btb crosses bounce

That is all. biggrin

I cant think therefore Im not
Total posts: 291
Posted:I`m desperete!
Iv bin trying and trying and you guys and girls at home of poi are my last hope. Is it anyone here that can turn from btb weave forwards and backwards but not moving your feets and make a turn between your legs both on the back and on the front of you. It`s a lite bit trycky to explaine what I mean but it would be so neat to do that one biggrin

"I dont like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
Total posts: 4030
Posted:Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

Newgabe: Ive seen that somewhere before wink

Indeed I did a bit of light editing and self discipline about what thread to post things!
Congrats on your new move!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3383
Posted:yay at the manchester meet i learned the 3btb, the isolation thing when they roll in fron of you and also managed to go 2 metres on a unicycle biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3380
Posted:i learned high turn and low turn the other day. i was so chuffed biggrin

Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

Total posts: 57
Posted:got the antispin weave forwards and backwards, also managed to do an inside-out 4beat hyperloop biggrin

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8735
Posted:Dunno which thread this belongs to so i'm gonna put it on all of them. 2 hrs ago I managed to Stafapoiggle...
3 aerotech globalls in a cascade
2 aerotech meteors in reverse split-time butterfly
and 1 aerotech staff
ALL at the same time!!! yayyy w00t Pictures soon to be available

also 3 beat weave and mikes mess juggling.
Sorry got carried away but I'm ll chuffed spank weavesmiley juggle
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
Total posts: 4217
Posted:yay, my isolations are looking like isolations, not half hearted swings

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

paranoid of gov't conspiracies
Total posts: 217
Posted:probably not that impressive but i just learned the 5 beat weave! i'm excited at least!

Miss Whippy
Total posts: 1262
Posted:double whip catches, atomic buzzsaw and i *think* atomic weave. also lots and lots of flowers to work on thanks to Nick.

God bless uberpoi ubblove

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Total posts: 5
Posted:So, I started learning poi about 2 weeks ago.
I have been working very hard to learn poi correctly since I don't have anyone to teach me here.
Within the first week I had all the butterfly moves down.
But what I am most happy with is that last night I managed to finally figure out the weave. It's not pretty, but I can do it. Now I'll just work on getting it to flow more smoothly.

All I know is that after whacking myself in the head about a million times, the first time I got that weave together was just one of the most amazing moments. It's a wonder what you can teach yourself if you just put your mind to it wink

Total posts: 13
Posted:last night i learned TTN...FINALLY!!! It always looked like it shouldn't have been that difficult...

*jumps around like an oompa loompa on speed*

Amor Vincit Omnia

Total posts: 34
Posted:Try 5 beat isolated weave (forward and reverse) into horzontal airwrap combination, into btb5beat weave.

Spin More Poi!!!

Total posts: 1
Posted:Hello you fine folk. I've been an occasional lurker around here for awhile, but I just had to tell someone that I did my first (somewhat sloppy) hyperloop yesterday! Followed by a hundred more attempts, maybe 25 of which did not end in a tangled mess. But at least now I know it's really possible, and not an elaborate ruse. smile

Firefly )O(
Total posts: 2
Posted:Well this is what I have within the last week.... I have learned how to do a double elbow/shoulder wrap or doing a leg/crotch wrap with one poi and doing an elbow wrap with the other. I finally got the reverse three beat wave...that was a tricky one for me...{still has bruises} and the one that had me jumping up and down with joy was doing the butterfly with one hand. Ohh...and I accidently did a move that was a cross over between a butterfly and a corkscrew...{I don't know what it is called, but I am sure it has a name.} I have also been playing with tangles, but nothing too interesting yet ...except the pretty shades of blue on my arms and legs smile clap

Miss Whippy
Total posts: 1262
Posted:okey dokey, after practising a LOT today, i got some new moves! hurrah!

1. A negative space whipcatch entry.
2. Atomic long arm carries (almost continuous).
3. Isolated atomic buzzsaw.
4. Atomic buzzsaw weave.

Me loves atomics ubblove

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

now available in "advanced"
Total posts: 6086
Posted:I have been playing with some pedulums, got a nice round-the-head combo going. I now have to work out all the amazing stuff people were doing at Falmouth!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Total posts: 13
Posted:got bored the other day and cleaned up some flowers. got my forward and reverse flowers clean as well as better buzzsaw flowers. then finally got the antispin flower or w/e its called (poi going forward arms moving backward) then i got a few butterfly flowers which look pretty good. hooray, now to do them in buzzsaw
EDITED_BY: asakura (1122434394)

Peace Love Unity Respect, teaching everyone in the community love...

Total posts: 10
Posted:Not sure if this move has a name for it that I don't know, but within the last week I've figured out how to juggle poi while having them spin. I can only do two at the moment with having at least one always in the air but If I can come up with a third similary weighted poi I might, in a few months, be able to juggle three. And it rarely ever lands on my face!

not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:right, ive learned alot. i think ive generally been getting much more fluid.

but also at falmouth i learned butterfly barrel roll thingys acroos your body... which are pretty fun, i been playing with a few variations on those themse too.

rob showed me loads of negative space stuff hug not sure if ive got it learned yet, but theres defiently a seed sown.

i remember one morning getting up for and meeting simian and doing this crazy waistwrap thing, where my hand would cross over my body one behond and one infornt at the same time, smile

im sure there were loads of other littlke revealtions i had at falmouth, defietly something in the air there...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

old hand
Total posts: 834
Posted:oli care to explain what negitive space is?
if not in type in words in teh car to play?

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Page: 1...6162636465...117