Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Take the weight off Staff technique, static center technique smile R:

POI THEO(R)IST

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
more stuff where i throw the poi head around

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
and some more... i suppose you'd call one of them suicide thruwraps but i have no idea what you'd call one normal spinning poi and one propeller on the same hand. they go at different speeds. it's quite bizzarre.

--ben

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It'd be called a propellor I reckon wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
oh right. i thought the propeller bit was just the contact poi part...
and so: turning propellers. they work a lot like fishtails, crossed with thruwraps. concentrate on the contact poi, and the other poi deals with itself. you can even bring the contact one inside...

--ben

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
crossers with one arm crossed infront and one arm behind. proper btb crosser still not in sight though frown

and also what i think is a proper under the leg weave, feels and looks like it should be anyway, one hand going through from the front and one from behind. both feet planted on floor. been wanting to get it for ages. so im happy biggrin

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Haven't posted in here for ages but i had a REALLY good spin yesterday with the sun behind me so could see my shadow. My Flowers are gradually getting cleaner although turning ones are still a bit scrappy. Anti spin ones are coming on nicley and horizontal hyperloops getting better. I got the straight arm butterfly reel sorted i was playing with as well as finally getting my exit from straight arm windmill sorted so can do it continuous at last. Also finally worked out a proper straight arm 5bt buttlerfly weave. S'gonna take a while to get going all 4 ways tho.... s'all good! biggrin

an oli, i'm getting really close to a btb crosser at the moment. well done for the utl weave cos that's been avoiding me forever.... rolleyes

there's loadsa other stuff i've learnt since last time i posted here but can't remember what....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
oli and duballstar, learn btb outward butterfly crossers first, they're the easiest as you can see the poi that's transitioning to the front before and during the transition, cos it happens down near the floor and under the other arm. once you've got that, the timing for weave crossers is much simpler to get...

3bt inverted inside weave with buzzsaw invert transitions, without screwing up the exit and wrapping... and 3bt btb trailing poi inverted weave (i think. i don't have a mirror that'll show it, but it feels right and the poi seem to be doing the right things...)

--ben

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Today, finally, after days of wondering if it was possible, I got a whip catch to work coming out of a revers btb weave! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
eek

I wanna see, I WANNA SEE!

explainwithmoredetailsimmediatelybeforeIburtstplease

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
:attemptintoexplianwithmoredetail:

do a reverse btb weave, then, as the left poi swings upwards on your right side, let go, it falls nicely in the path of the right poi, so you can whip catch it, and you can return it to your left hand in front of you (hopefully) before it gets too tangled! Its not perfect yet, but I'll have it down by Falmouth, for sure! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
prefectly explained :d

*runs off to learn new catchiness*

hug

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
I first did it by accidentally letting go (as happens) and it kinda tangled, so that set my mind wondering! biggrin good luck and have fun!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol reminds me of my first ever whip catch, thought I was sooooo original till Durbs put his vid up rolleyes

If you can do it that way Dave you can certainly do it from TTN thrown.

Same time normal butterfly. TTN the right over left and let it go when your right hand is just over your left and thre poi is just about horizontal, it falls perfectly into the path of the left and comes straight back to your hand biggrin somehow ending in reverse butterfly but cool all the same

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ben - thanks, i just been trying what you suggested and well i can now see that it can happen smile

last night i was having a conversation with someone, and as you do i was twiddling my socks about in 'idle mode'. for me this is normally anticlockwise airwraps. but last night after a while i noticed id been doing them clockwise which i can never normally do with any consistancy. as soon as i noticed i was doing them the next one went wrong though, but then i worked out the feeling so i got clockwise airwraps pretty much as cool as going the other way now smile

also learnt to gently tap the head of a flying poi to change the direction of the handle.

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
*runs off to play with TTN throws*

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
today i figured out how to turn 180 deg from unreverse thru-the-keyhole (if thats what its called) to reverse thru-the-keyhole.

god i wish i had some one to poi with...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
going back to the top of the page i think i meant btb straightjacket not crossers but thanks for the idea ben! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
btb sj is all in the entrance.. learn the btb inversions and you'll slowly work to stretch yourself enough..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
BTB airwraps. Almost there with antispin flowers now as well - it's just a matter of putting the individual bits together.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Almost there with antispin flowers now as well - it's just a matter of putting the individual bits together.

Been trying this and it's so bloody hard!

Errm... also a giant windmill with a double stall Behind my back.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Parallel crossarm inversions. Or maybe crossarm cranes in arashi-speak smile

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
I was out back twirling when i whent for a neck wrap/roll/whateva and let go of the staff and just kept my body moving to keep the momentum goin and ended up doin a hands free helicopter around my neck, fluke though havent been able to do it since.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Thru-wrap inversions and inside crossarm inversions.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i can now keep a butterfly hyperloop going in much the same way i can keep a weave one going, by continuosly twisting and untwisting it. smile
now all i gotta do is find a way from weave hyperloops to butterfly ones and im a happy boy.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Finally figured out the antispin weave - now to be able to do it a) smoothly and b) continuously. It really would've helped if there'd've been a decent video of one somewhere though smile

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
i just figured this out tonight.. been working on it for a while tho.. dont know if there is a fancy shmancy name for this move, but ill try and explain it..

regular ttn, then stall (for instance) right over left poi, while left keeps spinning.. then pull left out from underneath right arm so arms are not crossed.. then, still spinning left poi, put it over right arm(still stalled) and under the right hand holding poi.. its all supposed to be a continuous move.. (for those of you whove seen spinning in paris, glass does this at one point in the 1+2 video)

but this he doesnt do... in that position, wrap spinning left poi around right elbow, making it spin the other way, and then untangle your arms the same way you tangled them, stall the right one again over left arm, and wrap left poi around right elbow again (this time from the bottom) to get it to spin inwards again for regular butterfly.. from here you can do the whole thing over again!!

its all supposed to be one smooth movement.. that im still working on, but i have the basics down, and the first half is all smooth with no extra spins after the first stall.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Finally figured out the antispin weave - now to be able to do it a) smoothly and b) continuously. It really would've helped if there'd've been a decent video of one somewhere though smile

I thought Oli had it in two of his vids?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
One of them was with fire which while pretty isn't a great learning aid. And I think I missed it in the other one, doh!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Corkscrew redface

I realised I need to shorten the cords, and I'm not just crap. But yeah, that.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Page: ......