Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...8586878889...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

sketch
sketch

Empirically random...
Total posts: 431
Posted:ummmm....... playing with antispin crossers,
btb rev 5bt weave, and straightjackets.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Delete

Fractos
Fractos

Dirty Fire Project
Total posts: 133
Posted: Written by: idancelikeapenguinme

hyperloops! after realizing that what i have been trying to learn for 2 weeks is infact hyperloop buzzsaw!

Yay! Finally! smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

Delete

Clairebe
Clairebe

Destroyer of kitchen appliances
Total posts: 180
Posted:I finally got the butterfly weave! Woo! I got it a few days ago, but didn't have net access then.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

Delete

_Aime_
_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4172
Posted:Airwraps. Just now.
Forgot how to do them about a year ago when I learnt hyperloops.

Imagned the movemant of the poi, and the way they had to go, then drilled it, then got it.

Then rememberd that I did infact learn airwraps somewhere inbetween a year ago and today, as I rememberd the process of doing an airwrap..
Then I rememberd who taught me.
Then rememberd why I couldnt remember.

I think I should refrain from smoking the special stuff whilst Mr LtC teaches me things from now on ubblol

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:ubblol

That post made mem laugh lots, Miss Aimee...

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

bblou

Total posts: 2
Posted:I do not know what most of you are talking about... hyperloops and buzzy wuzzy and jingle jangles..

but I did the 5 beat weave tnite in my unis circus society..

yey.

so yeh.. hopefully now I have some people to help me I will be able to come on this thread lots!

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:Some lovely front flower thing mico taught me.
no idea what it's called (yet?) so I'll just have to explain it.

Butterfly infront, move both hands to one side, both poi spin outside your arms, move both to infront of you, one up one down with a gap the length of your poi, move both to right side, then complete the circle by going back to centre with the other hand on top this time.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

drvariety
drvariety

Total posts: 75
Posted:Well I finaly got btb 4 bt weave, and what im currently calling flower fountains, but im sure has already beem created and under another name, but heres a dexcription- Start off doing a regular forwards, non-anti-spin flower, then as right hand comes down bring to right side on opposite end, with left hand flowing. then as right hand comes down, bring to left side.. Looks kind of like a figure eight flower whend done right. Sorry for the dreadful description.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

Delete

Stick Man
Stick Man

Total posts: 37
Posted:I was trying to figure out hyperloops the other day, and learned isolated hyperloops instead.

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

Delete

Mireneye
enthusiast

Total posts: 276
Posted:Antispin "weird" 4 petal flower with the petals in the corners.
I have a hunch people call this Quadfoil ?

Also I finally sucseeded with 'em Buzzaw fountains. I hope I get the terminology right.. Ya know.. transition from FW Buzzaw to backward to forward.. always keeping them in buzzaw going under your arm and over your shoulder. Maybe they are called buzzaw flowers ? AAAAAH =)

Also I find it kinda sweet that when doing weave you don't really have to pass it on the side of your body.. working on it you can almost pass the weave beat in front of you.. there's still a 30-40 degree bend, but I think with practice you can get it to look almost like it's not passing at your side at all.. weird..

Delete

Stick Man
Stick Man

Total posts: 37
Posted:Finally started getting the isolated 3 beat weave, parallel lockouts and anti-spin reels, but now I've forgotten how to tie my shoes. OH! And a 3 beat butterfly weave. Wee!
EDITED_BY: Stick Man (1160434730)

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

Delete

hannah.katarski

Posted:Huzzah!!!
I have only had my Poi for about 3 weeks. Just figured out the 3 beat weave this arvo. I got it almost straight away and had to laugh at myself til I cracked myself in the head. Then I spent about half hour trying to figure out how I did it.

Fiiinalyy realised that it was just like an off set figure eight move I figured out - don't know if it has a name - only difference being that I change wrists over. EEEEE!

Now I just have to grow some balls and try some of the harder ones! eek

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:I think I finally figured out exactly what a waistwrap is, and how to put more beats in.

Thanks to FNF and coleman for their helps!

Delete

russtafari
stranger

Total posts: 16
Posted:i got reverse l-r hyperloop cleanly today, i can finally do 'em all 4 ways. minted! bring on the HL fountains.
i got white raven's stall loop thingy as well, sort of, mine goes forwards to reverse but still very nice.

Delete

wolfbro001
wolfbro001

Total posts: 77
Posted:just got huggies! finally! after about 30 bloody years of trying (translates to approximately a month wink ) all it took was someone to show me twice! *phew* now onto anti-spin weaves! see you all in about 60 years! (you do the math)

Delete

Zenooph
Zenooph

psychadelic pyro
Total posts: 570
Posted:I started spinning about 5 weeks ago and these are the moves I've learned up until now:

Low Turn, Tuck Turn and 2 stalls
Butterfly (forwards and reverse), Giant Butterfly, TTN, Overhead butterfly and Butterfly isolation.
3 beat Weave (forward and reverse), 5 beat Weave (forward), 180 deg weave and 360 deg weave.weavesmiley
Normal Flower.
I can do a buzzsaw, but getting into it from a 3 beat weave is still a bit tricky, I manage it about 1 in 5 times.

I'm currently working on the corkscrew, the windmill, btb weave and I'll probably start working on a reverse 5 beat weave soon.

I'll let you know when I've nailed some more moves.

This really is a very addictive hobby. I just ordered my LED sock poi today, so I can't wait.
biggrin

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

Delete

Zenooph
Zenooph

psychadelic pyro
Posted:I nailed the corkscrew last night!!!!!!!

Got the transition from the 3 beat weave, but I still need to tidy it up a bit.

Delete

breaker
Total posts: 36
Posted:i've been away for so long it's more like "i just learned 30 new moves"

still working on getting waist wraps and utl/btl stuff and the butterfly weave btb, but for the most part my trick library seriously just quadrupled if not quintupled............ eek biggrin

look for my entry on the next compilation vid......probably go with black light glow sticks for the old school feel, if not then either my soft glows or fire for sure.....

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Delete

Zenooph
Zenooph

psychadelic pyro
Posted:I managed to get the buzzsaw last night, nice transition from 3 beat weave to buzzsaw.

Anybody else find that it's easier to do the buzzsaw with chains as opposed to sock poi?

Also learnt a new move from a mate, but I have no idea what it's called. Spinning in split time in side plane and then alternatively spinning inside and outside. The effect looks almost like a juggling cascade.

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:Whoo I've been productive.

Finally got huggies, both butterfly and same direction,

anti spin flowers forwards and backwards, plus full and half butterfly antispin flowers, all 4 butterfloops, wristwrapped airwraps, butterfly airwraps (again), inverted butterfly (kinda), crazy tangles with contact, snags and some 90 degree plane transition stuff.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Psyri
Psyri

artisan
Total posts: 1576
Posted:farting around with my strobey poi whilst trippin at a free party has resulted in some very nice butterfly variations weaving like a mad woman and completely disregarding accidental tangles in favor of freaky wraps. Also got isolations in the works......

WHOOPTY-DOO!!! PROGRESS!!!!

btb reverse weave pretty much sorted too biggrin ubblove ubbloco nana meditate

Delete

PhilipMabong

Posted:Well one that I like to do is kind of like the BTB Butterfly except you do the one handed butterfly forward then drop down backwards onto one hand to get the butterfly to flow parallel with your body then you just use your hand that is on the ground to push yourself back up to the regular one handed butterfly and go into whatever you want

Delete

russtafari
stranger

Total posts: 16
Posted:oli's - sort of! biggrin
butterfly loops, buzzsaw-buzzsaw. only 1 way out of 4 so far though
working on tangle turns but not clean yet and again oly one way frown
and my long neglected btb wheelplane stuff is coming on a treat, got the 4bt the other day from learning....
elbow traps from btb to infront! thanks raven! looks great when you switch hands and tangle on the way out.
and last but not least, spiral wraps round both hands. dead easy, looks great and the ladies love it.
that is all

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:

Butterfly buzzsaw double wrist wraps switching.

encrypted,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

dj_sacrific3
Total posts: 10
Posted:just learned an odd buzzsaw fountain with flower beats on the reels.

<S.kill> J_Sacrific3

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:went to a thirteen year old's birthday party and i learnt:

to spin to crappy pop music umm
most of it was at a great tempo for increasing your musicality though... umm umm

also had the best play i've ever had with an aerotech meteor - didn't hit myself even once!

i also seem to have unlearnt the 4 petal antispin flower though (or was having a bad day with them maybe) frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:4 petal antispin butterfly flowers, crossers (thanks to Simian) 360 reel turns, both by the hip and long arm, sketchy airwraps, got my full waistwrap (starting on left) tightened up, got very tight normal antispin flowers (poi forwards, arms backwards), and got sketchy reverse 4 petal antispin flowers). Also, finally got split time TTN, working on outwards version. Itinery after that: impossible weave, antispin flower turns, and goofy flowers. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

Mr_Joe
Mr_Joe

Part-time genius

Total posts: 59
Posted:Yes it's shocking compared to some of the elite moves I see bandied around in here, but I've finally nailed the 5-beat weave, I feel as though my spinning has moved to the next level smile I can also do one hyperloop (the forward one)

I'm gonna go back to the staff forum now and stick to what I'm (not really very) good at :P

Joe x

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:whats a goofy flower? and is the 'impossible weave' the split time butterfly weave then, as I thought it was jsut the butterfly weave from the thread on it earlier, and I know you can do that already sam,

and finally come to synergy on the 24th smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:I got reverse hyperloops, a few beats of oli-loop and butterfly neck wraps

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Page: 1...8586878889...117