Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Charlottemember
12 posts

Posted:
I didn't read all of this topic yet, but I also got a new move yesterday and if it's already in here please forgive me.

I think I don't need to explain a lot, it's just a forward weave but instead of going side to side, spread your legs and when your weave is on the right side just change the angle of the chains a bit and pull it through your legs and you'll come out in a reverse weave on the opposite side. I personally think it looks pretty good, but takes a bit of practise though to get the right feeling for it.

Thanks for listening (reading) and give it a shot!

Charlotte

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i've never posted here before but i need to shout to someone and no one's on IM!

so here goes!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

i suddenly cracked turning a butterfly weave, or at least it's two beat counterpart (bouncing butterfly) it needs smoothing but it's soooo feckin easy lol (easy in split time. the issues in same time are just my issues with the move itself. liek how i refused to learn same time butterflies good for like...well...months relly.)

and i just did a six beat corckscrew! woot! god it wasn't even that hard. i'm sure it looks crap but still, it's doable! eeeeeeeeeee!

god i've barely touched my poi lately cause of staff and three section, but i need to go back and work with them more! wheeee!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
BTB 3! Now to try for the five. (stuff doing it in reverse, I'm way too short for that...)

Oh, and finally got the hang of butterfly and TTN...

t.

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
Here's one i thought of and have been practicing a bit over the past week..
I dunno if i invented it, but i have never seen anyone else do it.
it's pretty easy, and just a little fun.

basically you do the fwd 3beat weave, and on the last beat on each side, lift your leg up (to the front) and kinda stuff your hand under it so the poi goes on the outside of your leg. then bring it back in quick-like.
I hope that made sense..
If not, i'll try to do a better explanation

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

JENZAmember
2 posts

Posted:

Hi fellow people

Im new to poi and by the reading your all true experts, how on earth will I catch up!!

Any advise? visited geocities.com/firepoi some good guides!! so thanks for that site!! The only problem is I printed them off took them home and they didn't make much sense so any suggestions on how to get better let me know.. I have managed to do the basic moves and also chase / weave.
or I guess they are just basic compaired to some of your emails. Im realy good at the fire wheel though.

Jenza007@breathe.com

Awshuamember
8 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by yummi:
I GOT THE BTB WEAVE
YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAY!!!

That is all... curse the reverse BTB weave

hehehehe

happy swingin!!

Ditto, but reverse that (reverse only, forward sucks).

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Wahoooooo!

i finally got the BTB 3 beat reverse weave this weekend, still learning transitions but no more hitting myself in the b******s

Mark P

Infescted_tonicmember
3 posts

Posted:
I am new to Poi and all that great stuff, but it's lots of fun, sadly i don't feel good enought o preforem infrount of other ppl.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I just got the reverse weave and reverse butturfly and bth butterfly. and i got the reverse windmill/corkscrew along time ago

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
LOL>..Im proud of me for learning a btb 5beat lower fountain...yes its useless, but it makes me feel accomplished.. Slowly getting better at it. long time since Ive updated anyway so there it is, one of the moves Iv started working on again(took a break from poi for a while).

love ya
-Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
curious and curiouser!

i just got the behind the back mexican wave....

weird, i know, havent tried it with fire yet, but thinking it will be efective if start of with normal mexican, then leave hands behind back and swing them out in front one at a time. yes, will have to try this with fire soon..

why do yall love btb weave? even the best at it look unco after a couple of rotations, i just dont think its worth it.... says me who can only do it for a little bit, then whamo..

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
well once btb forwards and reverse is learnt then it is the turns that look great.

I know a friend that can quite happily do btb turns and they look really smooth and nice

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
This afternoon cass showed me how to do a BTB weave...then the waist-wrap. When I got comfortable with the waist-wrap I stopped working on the BTB weave!

This evening I did it with fire, which was awesome!

Today is 4 weeks to the day since I started poi.

I'm hooked!

Raphael

elphmember
4 posts

Posted:
Pinched this off a friend of mine, it's pretty simple and probably not that new but looks dead good. Neat way of turning out of weaves by splitting them. Do forward weave but instead of sending the right poi over to the left side let it go behind the back, then turn around 180 into a backwards weave. Looks like f weave, low wave and turn, b weave.

sorry about sketchy description, tricks are so hard to describe.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Finally nailed the reverse five-beat weave yesterday after not being able to get my head round it for ages, so I'm pretty pleased about that. Also worked on doing forward-to-back turns using five beat, but it seems that to do it you have to turn the second cycle (the middle one when turning in three-beat) straight into the reverse five-beat rather than turning again to enter it as with three-beat. Or maybe I just need to play around some more

Reverse btb three-beat is almost there, just need to remember to keep my arms a little further away from my body than they'd like to be

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
sorry sam. you didn't make up a new wrap. My friend Brian came up with it about 3 mths. ago. Except we call it the ass stall, and when in reverse, it beocmes the nut stall which really hurts when not done properly for obvious reasons

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Tonight I got the forward 5 beat weave and not entirely (half the time) got the under the leg 3 beat weave (with both legs).

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Woo, I feel alive. New moves are flowing. Behind the back 3 beat weave (is the direction the same as in front or reversed? ie does a reverse 3 beat weave BTB spin in the same direction as reverse in front?), although a bit wobbly and lasts for probably 6 turns before going out of control or hitting the back of my legs.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Wooooo Hooooo Stella does have it's uses! I got BTB weave this weekend - helped anlong by my good friends Stella and can...

Needless to say I might need a new pair of glasses and maybe an iron bra.. (ouches all round ) well I can do it now - working on the transion from reverse weave to BTB weave.. first swing is ok second is a bit wild at the mo (hence the new specs - keep hitting myself in the eye! )

He he eheheheehh very happy with my self..

la la laaa

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I have also got the BTB weave in reverse, although I need to spend a bit more time practising it with my regular poi I still don't think the forward BTB weave is possible for mere mortals though

"Moo," said the happy cow.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wahoo! second btb weave waistwrap completed are there four in the weave? I think so......If so then I have two in front and two btb.

just got to perfect the fwds butterfly waistwrap now as I can only do it in reverse butterfly....eep!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:

Sorry need a break. Didn't just learn it but haven't had the opportunity to be here for a while. Picked up a butterfly turn, a butterfly fountain and the three beat btb weave... very excited. Just wish I wasn't sick... that would make me even happier than I already am.

I wouldn't know... I've never given a cartoon character an orgasm.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:

I lit my doubles for the first time last night, what a rush - woohoo!

That's a lot of fire

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Last night I pulled off a couple of messy 9 beat weaves, using a wrap around the hand. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not really a proper weave, but for stupidity it's gotta win some points!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
lol @Dom.

I wanna spin fire doubles. hmph!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jkaremember
19 posts

Posted:
I thought of something that I think works pretty well. It involves getting a BTN going in front of you, then as it goes around, wrap it up on a single finger every few revolutions. You end up with a pretty cool effect.

I also found out that to undo it, you can unwrap a forwards gripped wrap with a forwards weave.

Jkare
It's Time

Salama mpira wa moto

julie_dSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
This weekend I got the one handed butterfly fairly consistently, and I also got the behind the back crossover from a reverse rotation fairly consistent. ( I'll be working on the behind the back weave next)

This is my first post to HOP I've been spinning since January, and this site has been great inspiration. I am also teaching myself the staff from the staff lessons, and I later want to learn the meteor.

Thanks for all of the inspiration

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
I got the backward weave down. I know this is old hat to probably a whole bunch of you, but I don't care. And I can turn into forward and back again. I'm so cool.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I just learnt a new move.
2 new air wraps, to add to the family, not solid but hell, they should only take me another 6 months more.
and my reverse fishtails are starting to worknow

dom-9 LOL
Ros i wanna be seening full waist wraps next time we meet, cos if not, you'll be doing them before you leave I'll help make sure of that

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I haven't learnt anything new in so long, then just a couple days ago (partway through a practice session) I decided that my butterflys were borring. So I started to screw arround and hit something that lead to a whole bunch of new butterfly things. Not realy sure what they are exactly, but they involve all sorts of TTN's (both normal and doubble), spinning (my body), and some other strange things that I don't understand yet. And they're mostly done behind my head/shoulder, making them even harder to understand.

poi'r cool

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Page: ......