Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

deitrixmember
2 posts

Posted:
whatup...so i came up with (maybe i didn't but u know what i mean) this silly looking wrap, you start with the poi spinning in the same direction, say counterclockwise for example, then wrap the poi from your right hand around your neck, and at the same time, throw your left leg up and wrap the other round your thigh. then u can kinda run in place, alternating nect to thigh w/ both hands. it looks a bit silly, but its fun and looks tight in the dark. to practice, wrap one round your neck n leg, then spin it once in between before wrapping again, this way you don't have to jump and can get used to wrappin round yo neck. This hobby is quite painful at times, gotta love it tho------------------were you just chewing on that glowstick? its all over you man.

were you just chewing on that glowstick? its all over you man.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I just learned the reverse TTN------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
hmm i haven't really posted in a while till today so here goes..in last 2 weeks i got:a kewl transition my friend showed me, butterfly on left, and when taking over to reverse on ryt do a beat with both in between your arms (they don't have to cross, and watch your face) looks really kewli used to just do back and forth opposite directions, wrap to wrap between my thighs(https://www.nytefyre.net/pics/twirl/wulfpoi8.jpg)but now i go from one to the other, crossing them with an axtra beat (which lets you also transition into the butterfly)and i got the BTB weave going, cept can only do left ryt left, b4 i have to come out or hit myself *rubs shoulder*......which lead me to realize i've never done the forward weave right.. so i got that 5 minutes later *laf*

wulff

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Stone, i think thats the first time anybodys ever said i helped them...:sniffles:glad i could help...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
After reading the "Amazing" thread https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000094.html
I thought I'd try it. But my strings are too long to do any kind of "Burn The Nose" or "Buzzsaw" kind of tricks. (They're shorter than from my hand to my armpit, but not by much).So I was spining in reverse and let the strings do 2 wraps around my hands and I pinched off the strings at that shorter length. I then did a 180 turn so now my newly shortened strings are spining forwards. THEN I went into the "Amazing" move (which was actually fairly easy once I got the "feel" of it).With Comet poi the move really did look like a tunnel. FYI, The Amazing move is essintially a split time move with a 2 beat chase to the right followed by 2 beats of a BTN move folllow by a 2 beat to the left. Repeat ad. infinitum.Now, right after the BTN move I let the poi unwrap. So the 2 wraps I use to have now unwrap once on the left chase and once on the right chase. That let's me go right into my 3 beat weave ('cause I can't do a 5 beat weave yet).It seems like it took a lot more to describe than it did to do. In practice it just sort of "happened".

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
After 2 months of trying to figure out the elusive BTB weave I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!! With just a little bit of fine tuning and a little more practice.. i will be able to not have the things keep pounding me in the back of the legs and I can be as good as Jo Derry and PK.

I learned it from watching PK's videos on his site over and over and over.

Yay.. go me.. this was a huge obstacle for me.

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Lt Furlongmember
21 posts

Posted:

I'm hearing terms like 'Fountain' and 'TTN' but i've never heard of these moves. Details?
I'm still no closer to BTB weave, BTB butterfly, BTB anything really, so i have a bad feeling these moves may elude me too.....

And as for practising BTB moves (or any moves really) a friend of mine suggested to get the biggest damn mirror or reflective surface one can find and practice in front of that. It'd be sweet for BTB moves since you could see it coming, and just using a window in a house i managed to perfect my forward weave only 10 minutes after being introduced to the move

But i'm probably telling you all things you already know....

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
That's great!

To answer some of your questions...
Fountain = Facing left do a fwd weave -> corkscrew -> facing right do a rvs weave

TTN = Thread the Needle..this move should be described in the Poi Lessons on this site.

And as far as BTB moves..if you have got anything other than a BTB btfly down and your still considering yourself a newbie, your doing better than I was. (= I didn't even mess with BTB stuff till I knew pretty much all the other stuff. I would recommend though trying it with poi that weigh a lot as it forces you to slow down your movements. And just try to visualize in your head the hand movements. Once you get it..you'll see..it feels the same(and is) as a weave in front of you...

Anyway...for my "I just learned a new move!" post..hehe

I learned the BTB 4beat, and I perfected the Butterfly Weave (both directions with no extra beats!). And now that I've learned the butterfly weave, I'd have to say doing it fluently is harder than any other move I know. (=

PLURR
ÇrÐ / Max

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
out of pure bored today i decided to see if i could spin with both my feet. So laying on the floor held my handles in between my toes and started doing the weave motion. Lol, can't believe it worked so easily. I wonder i can do a 5-beat with my toes heh.

Lt Furlongmember
21 posts

Posted:
Thanks CRD I can do fwd weave > windmill > rev weave, so fountain should be a snap (i hope!)

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
I just went out with my Zunis for a study break, and I nailed a sweet combo. Butterfly to BTB ankel wrap (one hand only) into rising sun to BTL rising sun to 4B windmill turned 180 to a rev 4B windmill. I haven't pulled off the 4 beat windmill turn before, so that was a nice suprise as well.

My reverse 5B weave is still an ugly MoFo, though, so back to work

peace

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Tracered,
Could you describe what a BTL Rising Sun is???

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Sorry, meant to say "Chase the sun".

If that doesn't clear it up, then:

doing 'chase the sun' as described here on HOP, with the poi spinning clockwise, when they come in front of you bring them down lower (hands to crotch) and lift your left leg. Pass them between the legs for one rotation and exit them by lifting your right leg.

I bet the problem was just a mis-speaking on my part, but I hope that clears it up.

peace

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Just got the butterfly weave yesterday

God I love poi, why do I have to study all the time instead of playing with fire? Don't these people know I have something better to do than get their damn education?

peace

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, my big news is that I finally managed to get a backwards weave. It's just two beats, but after an entire friggin' YEAR of spinning poi, I got a backwards weave. I still don't understand what took me so long.

I could do all sorts of stuff, 2 and 3 beat weaves, butterfly, over head butterfly, corkscrew, mexican wave, mosquito, windmill, etc. But I couldn't spin backwards.

And today, I mastered a 360° turn. I'm working on head position so that it will look more polished, but I spun around 360° with the pois not missing a beat.

Ok, Ok, I'm over-excited, but this does open the door for a lot of new moves and a much more interesting routine.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
What's a mosquito? Please tell me it doesn't involve loosing lots of blood, as I don't really like that sort of move...

Hmmm, new stuff....got btb 5-beat forward and backward recently, and btb butterfly weave. Also been playing with a few more wraps, but nothing special.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Jephyre,

The Mosquito: OK, gee...I'm not good at describing poi moves, so here goes:

*Start with the poi swinging backwards.

*Then cross your arms in front of you while swinging up, sort of as if you were doing a giant butterfly.

*As your arms come out of the cross above your head, flip the poi so that they swing behind your body, keeping your wrists facing up.

*Then turn your wrists down, keeping the poi swinging behind you for two more swings (still going in opposite directions).

Reading over this, I don't think I could reproduce the move from my description, but maybe you recognize the move and call it something else? "Mosquito" is the term that a friend of mine (who learned to spin in Mexico) uses.

Peace

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, has anyone noticed that when you nail a new move and excitedly grab a friend to show him, he just shrugs and says "that's new?"

This is sort of a philosophical issue (and probably off-topic), but when I first saw someone spinning poi, I was always staring at the poi and not at the dancer (which is impressive when the dancer is an attractive and scantily-clad woman).

I've found that now that I am also a spinner, I look more at the dancer. While that makes me more aware of the moves that the dancer is doing, I forget to sit back and enjoy watching the pois like my friends must do. They don't care whether I'm doing a simple forward swing or a twenty-three-beat reverse double mexican hummingbird. They just like watching the bright things fly through the air.

And maybe in my shift of focus, I have lost some of my appreciation for the beauty of our art.

Peace.

-Mike

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
well talking about new moves i got the 7 beat last night! yay! i'm so happy...*thinks about what move she shall master next*

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
teeeheeeee!!
*bounce*
i did it i finally did it.
yeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaa!!!

considering i was so frustrated i could cry because my left arm simply stopped mooving when i tried the weave i decided to just let it hang there like a dead thing and just practise with my right arm.

i was sooooo astonished when the darned thing simply started to moove all by itself. it's a rather odd feeling let me tell u when your body and pois start doing things by themselves.

it still looks windmilly and i smack myself a lot but i FINALLY got the staggered moove

WOOOOHOOOOO
*bounce*

Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
well i just got the one handed bf!! that was a hard one for me!! my friend started swinging about 2 months after me and he showed me how to do it!! lol its funny how these tricks and stuff work!! lol well off to practicce , im lighting up agian tonight!!...since my first light less than 2 weeks ago, i have gotten this large obsession for fire!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
hehe it's so great to see others falling in love with fire much the same way I did..hehe

For my new move..this is courtesy of Doc, who was telling me about Sage. So I guess both are to thank for me learning this move. When I heard about it, I had to try it.

Basically you reach your right hand around your back and over to your left side. (you have to be very flexible to do this move) I start in a rvs btfly in front of you and on one swing move my right hand all the way behind me and over to my left side. My left hand moves farther over to the left while in front of me. The result is a butterfly in front of you, with one hand behind your back.

PLURR
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
crd..wicked move i saw sage do that in col2 video!! mad props on that trick!!

*thinks of sage spinning fire* *wipes up drool*

*ahem* scuse me....i must of dased off there...sorry...

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyRaverDude:
hehe it's so great to see others falling in love with fire much the same way I did..hehe

For my new move..this is courtesy of Doc, who was telling me about Sage. So I guess both are to thank for me learning this move. When I heard about it, I had to try it.

Basically you reach your right hand around your back and over to your left side. (you have to be very flexible to do this move) I start in a rvs btfly in front of you and on one swing move my right hand all the way behind me and over to my left side. My left hand moves farther over to the left while in front of me. The result is a butterfly in front of you, with one hand behind your back.

PLURR
ÇrÐ

Jo derry does this move in one of the videos on this site also. I forget which one though. Essentially turning a buttefly back and forthbehind you.

Girmember
9 posts

Posted:
I learned the weave. It's still sloppy, but I still can't figure out the move I want to do.it looks like the poi is going in one giant circle above your head, but your hands are moving like you'd be playing with a diablo

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom doom doom doom doom do-doom doom DOOM..doom doom do-doom doom doom doom

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I have been able to put the 5 beat weave FWD and REV into a kind of fountain. I don't particularly like the 3 point corkscrew as it doesn't seem to sit straight overhead. I have also been able to do a kind of side on butterfly that I hope to put in my COL3 entry which may get filmed tonight.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by phunky:
[QUOTE]Jo derry does this move in one of the videos on this site also. I forget which one though. Essentially turning a buttefly back and forthbehind you.
ummm, just for my two cents, i do this move by doing a butterfly weave transition wrap whilst btb, i think its easier than actually transfering the poi around your back whilst in a butterfly...

so yeah...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm not one to do something else just because it's easier. Tis all about new challenges.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Amen to that phunky!! (:

I'm still trying to get the ever-ellusive no-handed butterfly..hehe This is done by carefully putting both poi straps in your teeth..hehehehehe

I have to take my glasses and hat off for this one..lol and fire...*DAMN* that must hurt yer teeth..hehe

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Just worked out a turn with one poi going between my legs, and the same move but with poi contra rotating. Nothing that looks overly fancy (in fact, I think if you weren't concentrating you probably wouldn't notice the difference between this and a normal turn), but feels good and adds a bit of variety. Just have to work on it with the poi entering from behind now.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Page: ......