Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It might've been before you turned up... The throws go through the negative space so one goes straight up, one drops down.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
but how do you manage to catch a poi that you throw directly down towards the floor...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:

I taught myself what I thought was the backwards weave but it wasn't until I was round a fellow HoPers gaff at the weekend that someone pointed out that I had been doing it wrong all this time.

The new (and correct way) feels much better and no doubt looks it too - thanks Mr C smile

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

but how do you manage to catch a poi that you throw directly down towards the floor...?

cole. x

Quickly! ubblol

You catch it in the other hand as it goes past, it's more of a drop than a throw I guess. The one coming out of the top can be thrown a bit more nicely though.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i like the first answer best ubblol wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive been mainly trying to get back into some of the places i got into last week and thought were cool, but i keep ending up in new places which i also immedietly forget how to get back into.

also worked out a funky but simple little move and for once i think i can describe it in words smile so i will - a recipe for you:

1. from same direction split time stuff stall one poi up, one poi down.
2. let the poi head that you stalled up drop into your hand and catch it.
3. spin your hands around so the other poi is stalled pointing up and the hand holding the poi head is facing down.
4. drop the poi head you caught last time and catch the other one.
5. repeat

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

poiboytoyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
hey peoples,
I'm new here and I'm trying to get some tips on the reverse 5 beat weave, got it going forwards but its driving me crazy trying to go backwards. and what the hell are butterfly hyperloops, suicide corksrews, and straightjacket double throws? I'm jonesen' for some new tricks here, please help.

super symmetric SU5 grand unified fire theorist

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: poiboytoy

hey peoples,
I'm new here and I'm trying to get some tips on the reverse 5 beat weave, got it going forwards but its driving me crazy trying to go backwards. and what the hell are butterfly hyperloops, suicide corksrews, and straightjacket double throws? I'm jonesen' for some new tricks here, please help.

[Old link]
Reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaddddddd. biggrin

As for all the crazy terminology that's flying around here, plug it into the forum search (Up there ^^^) and see what comes up.

"Take that, math!"

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
okay...

i've started doing this move that i have never actually seen, or heard of before. I initially thought it might be a TTN, until i actually read what a TTN is, which is an old easy move!

I have searched through about 35 threads for information on what it might be... the only thing i can possibly think of calling it is an inverted or inside out weave.

Here's how it goes:

using the wheel/buzzsaw plane, keep the righthand poi rotating on the left side of your right hand and the lefthand poi rotating on the right side of your left hand at all times, otherwise you go into a normal weave.

Basically you spin between a wheel/buzzsaw and a crossover, alternating which arm is "on top" or "leading" to avoid wrapping yourself into a knot.

or another way to explain:

your right hand poi must stay on the left side of your right arm, but alternates between rotating from the left to right side of your left arm every beat, and visa-versa

i can't really think of a better way to explain it.

It'a new move (well about 3 weeks old now) for me, so i thought this could be the best place to post to get an answer rather than creating a new thread!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
shu - i think id call that a notcoleman3, not sure what anyone else calls it, but sweet smile

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i'll try a search!

shotto oli

EDIT:

No luck with that or variations

frown
EDITED_BY: Shu (1117722051)

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i just looked in the inversions thread and cole describes it as a 3bt inside weave,

Written by: coleman from the inversions thread

1: [out|buzz|buzz|buzz|out]R (right poi spinning in right side outside plane)

2: L[out||buzz|buzz|buzz|out] (left poi spinning in left side outside plane)

3: [out|buzz|buzz|buzz||out]R (right crosses over to left side outside)

4: L[out||in|out] (left passes through inside to right side outside)

5: [out|buzz|in||out]r (right spinning in left side outside)

6: L[out||buzz|buzz|in|buzz|out] (left spinning in right outside)

7: [out|in|buzz|||out]R (right passes through inside to left side outside)

8: l[out||buzz|in|out] (left spinning in right side outside)

9: [out|buzz|in||out]R (right spinning in left side outside)

10: L[out||in|out] (left passes through inside to right side outside)

13: [out|buzz|in||out]R (right crosses over to right side outside)

14: L[out||buzz|buzz|buzz|out] (left crosses over to left side outside)

repeating steps 5 to 10 equates to spinning a 3bt inside weave.

but i think that means something else too confused namely a weave with all the beats inside. this isnt the place for a discussion about names and i dont really know what is what when it comes to terminolegy.

basically i think of it as a notcoleman3 because i learnt it after i learnt the notcoleman5 which is basically the same except you let the right poi come to the right of the right arm from the centre, instead of moving it to the left outside. and likewise with the left poi when its in the middle.

EDITED_BY: oli (1117725191)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one oli smile

when i first found that weave (exactly as oli said - through simplifying a notcoleman5) i described it using the phrase "over-under-through" since that's how it differs from a normal 3bt weave (which is "over-under-back").

so yeah, i call it a notcoleman3 too now on account of the fact that it definitely isn't a proper inside weave (which i have no idea how to do!).

shu - there's a little video with that move in: rite clik, say vaz...

its the first thing in the second part of the video, after the one poi plane demo and the beer swigging wink

i learnt nothing new today (apart from the fact that doing my job is tantamount to beating your head against a wall).

grouphug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It's a notcoleman3 aka buzzsaw weave aka uncrossed inverted weave. As people have said wink

Falderfaile-POIBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
On thursday I was going to my friend andrews house and 2 guys stopped me and asked if I knew anything with my poi set I was holding. And when it was all over I had learned how to do the overhead butterfly. I found this site later that day and learned how to do an alternate butterfly and a mexican wave. I'm getting pretty good cool (I'm in peru for vacations)

I DO POI

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I spun fire for the first time last night and it was amazing smile

Non-Https Image Link

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
mantis style kung fu + conicals = getting laid

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

upsidedownmember
32 posts

Posted:
isolated anti-spin weaves weavesmiley meditate weavesmiley

There is nothing quite like standing on your head.....

Falderfaile-POIBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
In the plaza I swung (is that how I would say it?) fire for the first time on saturday night. OMG it was awesome. I bought a fire poi setup from one of my friends named Bamban and I burnt my hair. frown I love my hair.
Non-Https Image Link
Like my pants?

I DO POI

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Poi shower ubbrollsmile

BTB poi shower

Buttefly poi shower (which probably has a better name but meh, I'll go with this till somthing better comes along smile )

Let's relight this forum ubblove

pup_on_firenewbie
1 post

Posted:
oooooh yea.... when i picked up the poi swings for the first time 1 week ago by fluke at a friends... I had no idea it would envelop me soooo much! It was as if I knew how to do it right away.. I've still had to learn the tricks by looking up stuff on here, but I just absolutely love it. Today, after a few knocks in the head, arm, and...well...valuables, I finally got the alternate butterfly down, and am on my way to the Mexican weave! Oh yea! haha - glad i found this sight, thanks for the tips on moves!
pup on fire
(bryan)

peace, love, light, two spirits.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Well as all i seem to do now is poi, and my staff is being left to gather dust in a corner, i figured that i should start posting in here so heres the first....... (Of many i hope!!)

BTB Butterfly hip reel (I think!) - Thanks Pink....? hug
Loads of love
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
BTB butterfly waist wrap bounce

Thank you thank you thank you fluffy for giving me some pointers on sunday...it all sundenly clicked into place!

bounce

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
Got a six beat hyperloop down and a a couple of eight beats are so nearly there smile smile smile

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Grrr, I'm envious inpsydout... I can get the 2 and 4 beat hyperloops somewhat consistently but 6 and 8 are out there. I think I need different chains or something.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
i havent had a chance to try it with chains yet, just socks (cheating a bit i know) although the knots still slip and slide all over them.

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Whip catches with fire... i may be insane but it works and looks wicked!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Thanks to a week in the sun in Tunisia I can now do suicides and genocides (most of the time) starting same direction and usually get them going opposite direction.

Turning same direction BTB waist wraps.

A proper (i.e. three circles and a carry) BF BTB waist wrap finally.

Isolating tangles under and over my arm both sides and both directions.

Dodgy underarm BF hyperloops.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Double forearm stall from the butterfly corkscrew, butterfly corkscew more then bounce wrap off of waist to overhead TTN. Corkscrew butterfly TTN. Same move can be done in buzzsaw plane.

IM close to doing two butterfly hyperloops and then inverting tehm over my shoulder sothey stay tangled, or untangling the butterfly hyperloop behind my head. I have perfected the Behind teh head airwrap that is at the end of The chicago glowsticking video, I ahve also perfected spirals with fire and am learning the weave thru my legs turning. I can do allt eh tech stuff, need to work on my large body motions. I also learned the 5bt butterfly weave, and the double TTN where you reach over the top arm again and still put the poi into the front plane so they dont hit, need to learn upside down , though I am recovering from dislocated elbow and cant straighten my arm all teh way.

I saw Forrest here in ashland, he was doing BTB thru the leg weave and then turn so poi are still behind back and then weave thru legs. Poi are in front of the body except for the turn behind the back and poi thru legs in fron again. Try to learn if you are bored, I need to learn the BTB weave thru legs, soon.
peace thanks for inspiring me everytime- I love HOP

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
A mindgame thingy, and now I've got the knack I'll be having a play around with those smile

Page: ......