• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

SpinnerofDetroit
GOLD Member since Oct 2009

SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Total posts: 2280
Posted:I fail at getting out of orbitals! Woohoo! Does this mean I'm good now? tongue2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:I have not even bothered learning them, so technically cannot get out of them either. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:i am just now learning how to get out o orbitals its a very tricky thing but the easiest way i have found so far is turn to where its on the wall plane and treat it like a air wrap

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Smurf24029
GOLD Member since Sep 2009

Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf

Total posts: 343
Posted:Took me forever to get anywhere with releasing orbitals. After seeing Nick Woosley do it a long time ago I had to learn. Nowadays I get it probably 75% of the time. Takes some focus and time thats for sure. Still screw it up though, its just something you can't get every time.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Yeah it's kind of a luck thing considering that if it's dark and it's chain and you can't see it well or if it's just dark out and you can't see your cord. You have a 50% chance of getting out flawlessly or making a tangled mess. I tend to get the tangle mess pretty much half the time.

Delete

Smurf24029
GOLD Member since Sep 2009

Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf

Total posts: 343
Posted:I go with how it feels, and hope I'm right. Works nicely when I need it to

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Yeah, I can do it in pitch dark, I tend to be able to feel where it is much better than I can see it.

hug

Delete

TABjuggler
SILVER Member since Sep 2010

TABjuggler

Total posts: 26
Posted:I have been learning so many new moves lately, but I'll start from the beginning.

I got into poi because I wanted to do fire poi. I am very comfortable with fire and have a lot of fun with it. Because of my comfort level, it is very easy to transfer new moves to fire very quickly. I've been spinning fire for 4 or 5 years now, but I never did much complicated stuff.

In fact for a very long time, I could do a forwards 5b weave, but still couldn't even do a backwards 3b.

I think my move list for a long time was:

forward 3b weave (I am very comfortable with this move and I bring it all over the place.... around my sides, low, over my head while bending backwards, kneeling down, laying down, etc)
forward 5b weave
butterflies (both directions)
forward thread the needle
corkscrew
Then a series of body wraps that I quite enjoy doing. (this was almost entirely my focus while spinning for a long time. Let me try to list them all: around my thighs (both directions), corkscrews to torso wraps, leg wraps, around my arm wraps, shoulder wraps, arm wraps, corkscrew to individual leg wraps, and all kinds of transitions to and from these wraps while doing the above list.... this is the kinda of fire spinning that I absolutely love).

I'm pretty sure that that set of moves was the entirety of what I could do with my fire poi.

Then I restarted the juggling club at my university and met two great poi spinners/teachers.

Through there help I have recently learned:

Backwards 3b weave
Backwards thread the needle
Doing a 3b weave (both directions) while occasionally throwing the right poi in the air (I have done this on fire and I don't use a counter weight)
Rope Dart style under the leg moves.
My friend calls the move "the atom"
Butterflies over my head
Thread the needle over my head

Things that I "sorta" have down, but don't have perfectly to infinite muscle memory yet, but I would still say I "have them"

A lot of stuff with stalls as direction changes.
Reels (all kinds, but I can't seem to remember how to do all of them, so it needs a lot more work)
Windmill (I can do it occasionally, but I can't quite seem to work it into the fountain yet).
Fountain (if I can just sort out my windmill problem, I should have this down)
Wheel Plane Flowers (3 and 4 petal ones) - These need a lot of work, but I have the basic idea down now.
Pendulums (need tons of work, but I have the idea down)
Neck Wraps (very similar to rope dart neck wraps, but they are much more difficult with the shorter poi)
I guess I should include buzz saw here as I have learned how to do it, but I am not comfortable with it yet.
Corkscrew with one poi going under both legs as I spin in the direction the poi is spinning.

Now this brings me to now and my reason for looking for this thread to post in.

I thought I was very far away from btb weaves, but my friend/teacher told me a great exercise for getting comfortable with accessing my wheel planes while my hands are behind me. I started playing around with those 3 days ago and have worked on it a bit each day since.

Tonight I went outside for an hour and planned to just get btb weaves down. I think it took me about 45 minutes, but I can say that I have reverse btb 3b weave down almost perfectly now. With another 40 minute session I think I can get the other direction down.

Once I finished that I worked on my windmill, fountain, crossers, under the legs, btb crossers, and some butterfly stuff.

I now also have solid:
Btb Butterflies (well technically they are behind my head), some thread the needle transfers with occasional movements behind my head, forward front crossers.

All and all tonight was very successful. Sorry for the long post, but I have made SO much progress in the last couple months.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Have fun with learning! You are in the funnest part of poi, the time where you are learning a barrage of new movements and concepts smile I'm starting to get same time butterfly extension pirouettes down. But after like the 3rd turn they fall apart. Actually it was the one and only Pali Endi that helped me with that one in person grin as it is the only flower/extension pirouette combination that I can't do and it angers me.

Delete

zephyrr

stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:i just started today. after much practice, and many hits to many places i don't wanna talk about... i finally got it!
i love you, poi smile

Delete

Aaron_Duff
PLATINUM Member since Aug 2010

stranger

Total posts: 4
Posted:Congrats Zephyrr!
Getting past the initial awkwardness is a big step it seems. After that there's a long and rewarding road ahead with new cool-ness at every corner!

I'm new here (Been doing poi for 4 months) so I guess I'll try to skim over what I know so far and sum up what I'm learning.

I've got a great handle on all the basics (or at least what I know as the basics)

Can do all these both ways, in time, split time, and with turns -
Butterfly
Crossover
3 beat Weave
5 beat weave
2 beat Corkscrew
Wheel
Windmill

Learning and/or perfecting
BTB backwards 3 beat weave (Pretty well got this mastered)
BTB forwards 3 beat weave (Pretty well suck at this)
Every butterfly/TTN/turn/crossover I can try. LOVING butterfly moves.
REALLY working on (Not sure of the proper name) Butterfly with one hand across the back and crossing over to the other side in split time. Cutting down the number of rotations it takes me to get comfortable enough to do this fluently.
4 beat corkscrew (I just recorded a video of myself and man... I make this look soooooo awkward)

I think it's safe to sum it up with... as I saw someone post earlier... I'm at that super fun and interesting part where I can start turning anything into anything else and it's a whole fluid world of.... make S*&T up as you go and enjoy the heck out of it. Now all I need to do is move to a part of the world where there's more than just me and my g/f that spin poi within a 400 km radius so that we can learn with and from others!

mew!

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Originally Posted By: Aaron_DuffNow all I need to do is move to a part of the world where there's more than just me and my g/f that spin poi within a 400 km radius so that we can learn with and from others!

Yeah. Exactly that....

Delete

brenonfire413
SILVER Member since Dec 2009

brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch

Total posts: 514
Posted:Color me embarrassed, so I can add meltdowns to my list. Ive apparently been doing them for about a month not realizing it. I had gotten my names confused. The move I've been wracking my brain on is the btb crossers, which I've still had no luck on.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Btb crossers are a bitch to learn.

Delete

TABjuggler

TABjuggler

Posted:I did my btb weave on fire last night, so I think it is safe to say that I am comfortable with it now!

I also learned this fun move where you just do butterflies, and then separate them a bit so you make two circles that dont intersect, than do a butterfly with full arm extensions, then go back to the two circles, then the full arm extension.... repeat.

Pretty fun!

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:You can also alternate that, with one giant and one static spin, switching from one to the other.

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:And then into basic polyrhythms!

hug

Delete

TABjuggler

TABjuggler

Posted:I have no idea what you two mean frown

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:So, doing a butterfly, keep one still and do a big circle with the other (Full arm extension)

When you get back to your starting position, keep the one that was doing the extension still and do an extension with the other.

A polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

hug

Delete

Paddington Bear
SILVER Member since Jan 2010

Total posts: 118
Posted:ohhh, sounds good. i has to try this

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonA polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

Do you have to speed it up? I found it was a natural polyrhythm with the smaller poi doing two revolutions while the extension did one. You can keep that going indefinitely, but the switch from one hand to the other doing the extension is cool.

I can try get a video up over the weekend if you are still lost.

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:Yeah, you're quite right, aston, since the larger one has to travel further, the smaller one will naturally do extra revolutions to the larger one.

I tend to explain it through "speeding it up" since thats what it feels like and tends to click with people, but I should have included both descriptions, to help people who would grasp it better that way.

Though, there will need to be a timing alteration if you're going to be doing a 2/3 alternating pattern.

Is that video coleman made still bouncing around???

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1289365902)

hug

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Not sure I ever saw a video on polyrhythms. Never really gotten the hang of them, apart from a few natural ones.

Delete

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:polyrhythms are kinda difficult it took me a week to learn how to dow a 3 petal antispin with a 2 petal spin polyrhythm flower but it looks pretty gnarly but the main problem i had was arm timing you just really have to pay lots of attention to the timing of your arms and poi
EDITED_BY: Midkiff (1289426414)
EDIT_REASON: forgot something

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Aaron_Duff
PLATINUM Member since Aug 2010

stranger

Posted:kk I believe I found a better way to ask my question about what the name of what I'm trying to do is, if it is anything at all. Describing stuff in text is a little difficult when you don't know the names of half the stuff to start with tongue2
Link to Youtube Poi Question

mew!

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:Originally Posted By: astonNot sure I ever saw a video on polyrhythms. Never really gotten the hang of them, apart from a few natural ones.

Charlie's 9 square stuff was all about polyrhythms, but sadly he seems to have taken down his 9 square content in favor of his "quantum field theory" (which I think is actually more a graph-theoretic representation of poi movement).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Pretty much. The idea there is to write a simulator. wink

Delete

TABjuggler

TABjuggler

Posted:Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonSo, doing a butterfly, keep one still and do a big circle with the other (Full arm extension)

When you get back to your starting position, keep the one that was doing the extension still and do an extension with the other.

A polyrhythm is if you then speed up the one thats staying still to being twice or more the speed of the other.

Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonYeah, you're quite right, aston, since the larger one has to travel further, the smaller one will naturally do extra revolutions to the larger one.

I tend to explain it through "speeding it up" since thats what it feels like and tends to click with people, but I should have included both descriptions, to help people who would grasp it better that way.

Though, there will need to be a timing alteration if you're going to be doing a 2/3 alternating pattern.

Is that video coleman made still bouncing around???

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I never even thought of trying to play around with that!

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Also very nice is doing that with both poi going in the same direction. Altering where the static spin is also gives very different feelings. Not sure they look much different though.

Delete

Atrum
BRONZE Member since Nov 2010

stranger

Posted:im really excitedabout just learning the necr wrap to be honest, i was messing around with a meteor setup and it just sorta happend, then i tryed it again in my room, after quite a few tries and a black eye, i figured it out again and can now do it consistantly ^_^

also, has anyone ever heard of/ done a butterfly weave?
i was messing around with weaves one day and decided to weave in butterfly. needless to say it failed quite a bit but i figured it out and use it whenever i preform for people who are trying to figure out how my spinning works. just to throw them off wink

basically, right foreward, left backward, and you weave just like you would a normale foreward 3 beat.. if anyone wants i can dig up a camera and post a video up on youtube..

"what are those things in the sky?"
"those? well those are stars, and if you look at them to long they will eat your soul"

Delete