Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I now can isolate most of my weaves and thats about all i am focusing on at this point in time isolations are the shizznit biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I understand.....

ok, finally learnt the machne, so ill kneed thoes variations now cole....

and when I get back someone has to show me why my chops arnt working....

oh and got thoes wrap-hyps going too....

T wave

p.s. I understand blue

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Forwards BTB - took a shocking amount of time too learn. Can just about do it 5bt now as well though.

Still can't get that sodding 3bt with one buzzsaw weave though mad

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
6 ball sync flash (outside circles) again.

and for the first time 6 ball async flash (outside circles).
twice. ubbrollsmile

sir blackarse - i recommend full-on bak to basics style learning for the 3bt buzzsaw weave: one hand at a time.
but make sure the empty handed arm is across your body so you learn to do the buzzsaw round it -- over, under, through.

it still doesn't work properly with my left hand = wonky buzzsaw weave frown

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Yep back to basics, it's getting there. I still have trouble with it on one side. God nothings been this hard to learn since those first attempts at 3bt weave wink

Is it easier doing outside for six - on the two or three occasions I've tried it I've always gone inside. Never tried async though umm

biggrin Ross

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Quote:

God nothings been this hard to learn since those first attempts at 3bt weave

yeah, why is that? totally can't get my head let alone my arms round it. they always bail into a hyperloop.. just learnt that underleg move that nick does on dervishly yers though, the opp dirrection both poi through legs (one from behind one in front) move biggrin

progger

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
i just learned the 3-beat btb weave this elusive bugger has been evading me for a long long time weavesmiley biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i got the 5 bt foreward btb waeve prtty good, but i can't even do it in revers in front of me. Very annoying and much bruising of the forehead.

(i have a nice big cut that i'll be showing off as soon as my production manager lets me out to play. biggrin)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
btb waiswrap to btb crosser, hug crosser to separation to btb hug crosser, turning crosser and turning btb crosser, and butterfly hug crosser... cheers t0xic, those vids ony your site put some nice ideas into my head! still cant do that straight jacket though...

--ben

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
btbttn- but only downwards!!! wasn't hard just never thought of it before... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Home sick with strep throat, finally felt good enough to spin around some glow thingies in my room. Randomly nailed a buzzsaw hyperloop pretty consistantly smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I did my first 5 ball flash! *BOINGBOINGBOINGBOING*

then i did 9 more! not in a row but hey....

and I got btb forwards butterfly... and double over the shoulder throws.... and a new suicide, but im gonna post that....

T wave

-><- Kallisti

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
never posted on this thread before so here it goes.... smile

A nice variation on one of the basic moves is, while doing a standard weave (forwards), try to reach behind your head and touch your opposite shoulder as you do the two beats on that hands off side....uh geddit biggrin?

(and yes, you do start to look like an enraged flamenco dancer with a fire fetish ubbloco)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmm uglies ubblove

i just learnt some wierd inverted weave with an extra inversion btb... i think it ends up being a 4 point 5bt. grrr will have to find some kind of better explanation than that methinks( spank to self...)

all sorts of new things with my tasty new fairieben poi... ubblove

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
A good move though smile

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin biggrin

OK, so it's not pretty yet, and there's no way I'd do it with fire yet, BUT

I finally got the reverse 5 beat weave. YAY!! It's UGLY, but I've got it...now...time to finesse it.

Now to start doing the extra beat fountains.....

oh and...
Now...if I could just get the behind the back FORWARD (I've already got the reverse). rolleyes

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
okokok,

juggling: so I learnt the inside variation of burks, and worked out church windows with 4 (cant do it tho....) a few catches of statue of liberty, continious inside chops and a very new thing for me, strait up chops. this has led to a move i aint seen before i call 3 straight up, eg, do a yoyo, but at the sideinstead of above, make an upwards chop on the other ball and all three got straight up in a line, hence the name. ive found places to put this in all over, my fav at the moment being in burks. beutifull way into contact moves too.

poi: did some multi-beat cross armed hypes and a turning butterfly buzzsaw hyp.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Possibly a tangled buzzsaw fountain? it goes: enter from the right-tangle-move it to under left arm-turn 180 so you're in a reverse tangled buzzsaw with your arms crossed-carry over right arm-turn 180 back to normal tangled buzzsaw-untangle-exit on the left. Looks quite cool, but probably isn't a fountain...

And a non-crosser version of the straight jacket... You kind of start by going into a buzzsaw weave, and then stick your hands out under your armpits instead of un-buzzsawing, do a couple of beats like that and then exit like you would a buzzsaw weave. Don't think my forearms are long enough to do the crosser bit...

And finally, forward fishtails on the left hand. Been eluding me for ages. Means i can finally do: right hand fishtail from left to right-throw-left hand fishtail from right to left-throw-rinse-repeat. Now to learn it with doubles...

--Ben

Do not read this sign. It will cause you to lose the ability to reab squablaly na griesh.

MarekBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
5 bt btb weaves... somewhat stretchy and still dealing with shoulder cramps, hopefully that will dissapate the same as the 3 bts eventually did though. :-D

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
juggletastic session last night:

now fairly solid are:

statue of liberty (left hand high) <-- this has taken about 1 month

contortionist (cascade) on both sides <-- been thinking about these forever it seems and then got them out of the blue

441 mills (u ball as 1st 4)

progress report on numbers juggling:

30ish catches of 5

6 ball sync flashes about 50/50 now smile

hug for tom - cheers for the text!

glad they liked it man biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

sir blackarse - i recommend full-on bak to basics style learning for the 3bt buzzsaw weave: one hand at a time.
but make sure the empty handed arm is across your body so you learn to do the buzzsaw round it -- over, under, through.

it still doesn't work properly with my left hand = wonky buzzsaw weave frown

Indeed that's what I've gone back to doing - instead of one, over, under for the 3bt weave it's over, under, in for the 3bt buzzsaw weave. Definitely not nearly as easy as you might think, *sigh* I think I've got it now, not the best though, and it keeps ending up as an isolated weave instead.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm...

wrong direction step throughs, bth hyps/airwraps (i believe they are the same thing now.) isolated weave hypes (wonky) double butterfly neckwrap suicides. hyperloop suicides. alternate butterfly extensions.

hug for cole, i only post here to amuse you!

T wave

-><- Kallisti

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
BTB airwraps
3bt buzzsaw weave confusion thing (see other post regarding hitting self in face)

A very nice combination:

airwrap -> bounce on poi off opposite arm straight after to get you into a butterfly -> butterfly hyperloop -> bounce poi off arm again to change direction -> repeat ad nauseum biggrin

can't quite get it going constantly yet though

Also stepthrough airwrap but letting go of the one that goes between the legs, turn 180 degrees and catch it (should've just about unwrapped by now).

wave

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hugz for tom n ross.

i can do a total of one of those moves yoo two just listed.

46 catches of 5 last night (i've started counting my catches and have set a target of 30mins practice a day to get a 100 catch best run by the time the ejc gets here).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo.

blackass....

the real kick with that combo is to do the transitions while tangled ubbloco i.e butterfly tangle hit one poi off the arm into weave tangle. and back the other way.

todays shenanigans....

mostly today I have been working on overhead airwraps. Butterfly overhead is fine and sometimes re-tangles bth and comes front again to untangle ubblove

the flaming halo is working now, btb airwraps above 50%, full bth airwraps (a full halo?) happened twice. some more thru wrap shenanigans...

what else? this is a problem I have, I forget half the moves I learn in a day, even tho i only stopped practice about 1/2 and hour ago! got some new catches for the contact ball, back crosses to elbow catches basically. (inside and outside elbow) oh yes and that funky horisontal metior stop.

later dudes....

T wave weavesmiley hug

EDIT: see, this is what i mean, head like a seive. Isolated watermills, proper. T wave
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1078423358)

-><- Kallisti

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
nix ur name is going at teh top of ZE LIST if you keep it up!

and what does this mean, it means no more biccies! they all go to ur arch rival, erm.........coleman (sorry cole first name i saw!)

Step (el-nombrie)

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ooooh, just cracked hip snakes biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblove weavesmiley eek @ tomnix hug

keep it up my man - i looooove biscuits wink

i can do none of those things tom just listed but i can juggle a 4b sync shower now.

proper.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the real kick with that combo is to do the transitions while tangled ubbloco i.e butterfly tangle hit one poi off the arm into weave tangle. and back the other way.

must gently disagree. as able to do both and this one(not tangled) is not only more confusing, but beautifuller too.

anyway.

i've been slack. and not learnt anything new for ages.

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
last night i just danced ubblove

7 catches of five, I think ill aim for ten by the end of the ejc....

T wave

p.s. ive been playing around with 4 ball shower, its freaking hard innit. beerchug

-><- Kallisti

Page: ......