Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
Yay, i been doing poi for like 4 days and i think i got 5 beat weave under my belt. Anyone no how i can be sure i can actually do it and im not just doing a load of rubbish???

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

PoiSonnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
newbie says: been doing poi for 2 months ( on and off), saw a guy doing it at reading festival by the radio 1 stage and started from there. can do the behind the back 3 beat weave now, taught it to my self in about 2 hours(after watching alot of vids). still hits me some times but would you say thats good learning for a noobie?

PoiSonnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
newbie says: been doing poi for 2 months ( on and off), saw a guy doing it at reading festival by the radio 1 stage and started from there. can do the behind the back 3 beat weave now, taught it to my self in about 2 hours(after watching alot of vids). still hits me some times but would you say thats good learning for a noobie?

PoiSonnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Arg didnt meen to send that twice my browser when all funky

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Heh, seems like forever since I posted in this thread.

I came across an isolated throw this afternoon, completely by accident!

I love it when stuff like that happens!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
i just learned 6 beat weave! biggrin took me like an hour to get it smooth. any helps on BTB butterfly?
weavesmiley
----------------------------------------

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

PoiSonnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
only advise i can give for the BTB butterfly is to make sure on hand is above the other same as the normal one, i just tried it and got forward and reverse swithing from infront to behind me in about 2 minutes. the most inportant thing would be to get your hands directly behind you in hte same place within a beat. Oh and it helps alot to lean forwards, at first it stops you from hitting your leg cos your not thinking about it hitting the back you your head. or at least thats what helped me. Btw is a 6 beat weave, where each poi do 3 beats on each side, if so ive been doing it thinkning it was the 5 beat.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
spun for 5 minutes before bed last night and actually did something new ubbrollsmile

split-time same direction reels with same-time crossovers.

that one is for simian hug
(aye aye aye, aye aye aye, huggin up the big monkey man)

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
just learnt 3bt reverse weave, so can turn and swop between 5bt normal and 3bt reverse. also got buzzsaw (after many bruises and beatings in the face redface ) and i can also now change between weave and windmill quite smooth biggrin

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Let me see now. Today I started getting my first 2beat weave/ wrap inwards around both arms. And Im getting good at 3 and 5 beat weaves with wraps on both sides and wraps out when moving to opposite side.

I've been playing alot with wraps lately, gotta learn more exact how airwraps work. I got the basic movement of the first one down, but have problems completing it...

Back to figuring out stuff then, a few hits in the head usually do the trick.

jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
just cracked the four and five beat weaves, working on isolations

ebfSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
feel like I have stummbled on alien life forms talking a language I aspire to but only understand 2 words out of every three !! mmmmm
any way.... I learned how to change direction today and do the back butterfly interspersed with the front and I'm obsessed and now our kitchen has no lampshade - you're the only people who will understand! yippeeeee I love to twirl. I really want to do the 5 beat weave - what does isolations mean?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
ebf: Before the "do a search!" brigade jump on you, I'll say this. Isolations are spins where the centre of the spi isn't at your hand, it's on the poi string. For descriptions of how to do them, Ihave a look at the useful thread link at the top of this board.

For me, I've been spinning lots of isolated take outs, airwraps (which I want to work on and improve), stalls and arm wraps, the dreaded and evil 7 beat weave and finaly cracked reels!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Cyrusnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
I just learned a forward atom weave thanks to ATOMCRAFT (2900 o'matic biggrin!)

Though I could use many large words to describe our predicament, all I can say is... "We're screwed."

punkskullmember
104 posts

Posted:
I can do a butterfly buzzsaw... (a buzzsaw where the poi move in opposite directions)

hakuna matata- rafiki (the lion king baboon)

magicwandfaceMember
3 posts

Posted:
i got this move down...spin the poi backwards,open your palms to wrap em.start doing a 5 beat weave,when u r spinning let the lead poi wrap around your arm andflick them both back into the weave and let it wrao around ur other arm. basically arm wraps with a 5 bt weave. dont know if this is good but i like it.

v_i_cmember
57 posts

Posted:
Learnt to do a 5 beat weave and my first spin with fire after three weeks of learning biggrin

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on first fire spin! devil I'm sorry I missed that! Its a daft question, but did you enjoy it?

its a bit offtopic but I'll be moving upto Colchester on Friday so I hope to meet up with you soon!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
hugs! yay

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Is this "I just learn a new move" thread?

Well, why do I have than on the top of this page:

Re:hyperloop maddness

If fine with hyperloops anyway smile

:R
EDITED_BY: Richee (1129577621)

POI THEO(R)IST

wondastarBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
yai after some time i have learnt the 3 beat weave, with some help from pyrowill yai

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
Congrats v_i_c, i just had my first spin with fire after a couple weeks of poi. biggrin *hi-fi's
but yer back to topic... i've just learnt 5bt weave, one handed butterfly, 2bt BTB weave (damn my arms are hurtin.) BTB butterfly, working on some arm wraps and i gave up on hyperloops straight away wink...but yer general movement and some buzzsaw weave combos too biggrin

CrazyTimeChrisnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
i finnally learnt the weave behind my back yesterday and tried with fire last night. It scared the s**t out of me!!
ubbloco
Great though!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Thanks to Puresock/Mack, I've been messing around with buzzsaw fountains and occasionaly pulling an airwrap off, Most of the time it bounces off my paws and then gets tangled, but occasionaly I can make it work!

My spinning's coming along now... but it's butterfly moves like butterfly WW's and reverse butterfly weave that are flumoxing me at the moment.

A few more weeks of Circus Soc, and I'll have got them! Then I have no idea where I'm gonna go after that. I finally saw antispin and inversion being spun, and that looks sickeningly good, so I may give them a try!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

3bt BTB weave....woooooo

looks so cool...i worked on it with my socks but then moved over to the tail and it looks sweeeeet.
EDITED_BY: Sinner (1129745183)

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm realy new to all this, so this is not going to impress anyone. smile

But I've been drilling doing behind the back butterfly, and have found that for some reason it seems easier for me to get by practicing BTB alternate butterflies. And so I was sort of drilling the moves ( cause they're really fun with tunes) and came up with something that feels SO GOOD to do, and I wondered if there's a name (my boyfriend has started calling it a shimmywiggle and I'd like to nip that in the bud) I'd been doing from butterfly a quad of behind the head right, left, behind the hip right, left - and then I was suddenly doing behind the hip right, behind the shoulder right, then over the head and one round in front as you start to do the same on the left. So it's 2 behind and one in front on each side. It's got a nice kind of sexy, slinky feel to it.

I can only do it behind though, and only in that order, not from up to down. Can it be done in front without whacking yourself in the face?

Michelle

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol yeah they have a name, they're reels, and i do them lots and lots biggrin (and i like the name shimmywiggle much more fun than reels)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Back after a long absence, and what have I learnt in nearly 4 months?

Not a huge lot, alas. *shakes fist at exams*

However, my brand new, first set of firies arrive in a week or so, so finally I will be able to satiate my pyrotechnic urges.

Anyway, moves:

- 4bt corkscrew and windmill

- transitions from 3bt weave --> 2bt windmill and 5bt weave --> 4bt windmill (though only on one side, other side leaves me with socks embedded in my head)

- reverse butterfly and ttn and over-the-head transition from forward to reverse butterfly, also side-to-side transitions

- reverse buzzsaw (messily)

- something I'm not quite sure is a buzzsaw weave or not - do a normal buzzsaw, then on the upstroke push the poi under the other arm (e.g. push left poi from between arms to under right arm) and other poi over the other arm (e.g. right poi from between arms to over left arm). Then one beat of buzzsaw in middle and do same thing with opposite arms (i.e. left poi over, right poi under etc.). Strange, though possibly not as strange as my explanation

- arm-arm-leg wraps to transition from butterfly to weave (very fun)

- continuous short-arm wraps within ttn

- half-learnt an airwrap where poi wrap between the hands, shorten their radius and wrap around the wrists, then out again (about half the time)

- a few other bits and pieces - butterfly variations, giant weaves etc.

That's about it. But damnit, do I ever want to learn the butterfly weave! I'm so close but can't quite get there, and have read all I can. I must find someone who can do it, and poke them with a stick until they show me.

Hurrah for exam-time procrastination!

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: Drudwyn

Thanks to Puresock/Mack, I've been messing around with buzzsaw fountains and occasionaly pulling an airwrap off, Most of the time it bounces off my paws and then gets tangled, but occasionaly I can make it work!

My spinning's coming along now... but it's butterfly moves like butterfly WW's and reverse butterfly weave that are flumoxing me at the moment.

A few more weeks of Circus Soc, and I'll have got them! Then I have no idea where I'm gonna go after that. I finally saw antispin and inversion being spun, and that looks sickeningly good, so I may give them a try!

*beams* biggrin
My poi has slowed down lately - under the leg through wraps in both directions is about all I've learned.

"Take that, math!"

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
Congrats to all above biggrin
i finally learnt some transitions so i dont have to keep starting over just basic arm/leg wraps. i can change between weave and butterfly with some groovy stalls. but the thing im most pleased with is that i got some simple weave isolations goin on biggrin

Page: ......