Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Free Tibetnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I figured out the behind-the-back weave and 5-beat windmill today smile
Also I bought my first fire poi yesterday - they are awesome! I love the sound they make
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
after some help smile working outs what my left arm is supposed to do today, i think i can now do turning antispin flowers smile probably be this time next year beofre they are anywhere cleanish though..

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

after some help smile working outs what my left arm is supposed to do today, i think i can now do turning antispin flowers smile probably be this time next year beofre they are anywhere cleanish though..

I've been doing the same sort of thing. Turning butterfly antispins are still just out of my reach though.

I've also been mucking with lots of flower stuff inspired by Meenik's Falmouth workshop. Butterfly flowers in wall plane and that sort of thing.

"Take that, math!"

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
anty spin floweres yey go me

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

thepaczBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I just learned um... I don't really know which name is correct, so I'll list some I think it might be then describe it.

"2 beat split-time butterfly weave"
"2 beat butterfly flower"
just "flower?"
antispin something?

Anyway, it's basically a split time butterfly brought across to the other side in a 2-beat-like fashion.

Now... how on Earth does one do 3 beat o.O ????? I can't even imagine it in my mind.

############
#steal this sig!#
############

asakuranewbie
13 posts

Posted:
been working on a lot of crosser weave and utl crosser weaves a lot. (hooray for retard weaves!)

i have an half under the leg crosser weave in both normal and butterfly. theni have a wallplane crosser weave to go under my leg and back out (normal and butterfly) utl butterfly weave and 5bt regular weave utl. then lastly i have a new crosser in butterfly. its where you have yuor left arm across your chest and under the armpit of yuor right arm which is crossed over behind you to the other side. lol, its such fun stuff! ^__^

Peace Love Unity Respect, teaching everyone in the community love...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Name: Pendulum Weave

Family: Weave, Butterfly
De Plane: Wall
Beats:8+8(4*(2+2))
Technoque: Pendulum, Independent spinnig
Level: Ultimate

Well, this move I saw onMr. Le Skunks vid called 'B-Complex'.
The base of the move is that you wall plane do with both hands independently two beats int the from of you and one "tik-tak" with pendulum(two halves )of the circle.
But when one hand is pendulumin, the other is doing two simple circles in the front of you.
Better is to start from weave than from BF.
You shoud take big care about hand positioning because of the beat-pendulum changes.
After four repetations, thats why4*(2+2) beats, you will get into start position.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

s1owpokeSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Wow, I have been spinning for about a week and got the forward weave down which I was proud of. haha!!! but after reading all of this I need to go and learn more.

S1owpoke

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i learnt the best wibbly\pendulum combo i could think off...

right poi spinning inside>left poi wibbling>throw left poi under right hand from right side>wibble to BTB throw>tapback>catch BTB>wibble to UTL hyperloop>throw left poi>tapback>catch\pirouette+catch (pirouette should be done when the poi spins twice from the tapback).

georgia knewbie
19 posts

Posted:
i can very nearly do a btb waist wrap now after weeks of work... i think it would be easier without breasts...

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
is not called the titty twister for nothing smile

edit: and after playing in the sun all afternoon i learnt one crosser with my right arm in my left armpit and my left arm crossed behind my back, my antibutterfly flowers are getting better, and i learnt to do the shower (i reckon...) with juggling balls... but shhhhh confused and i was trying to isolate some offset 2bt weaves, but that didnt work so well. and im finally starting to get to grips with same time same direction stuff, i think i can do cranes now ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: oli (1123611391)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Rhettnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I am trying to learn something new. I'm stuck. Please some one help. I already know the thread the needle weave, one handed butter fly, behind the back weave and all the reverses for those and many more tricks. Help

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
watch some vids rhett... there's plenty... some of my fav. vids are:
all of oli and FNF's vids
icon's vids
bluecat's vids (spinach sessions and black & blue)
matt's vids (on https://spherculism.com[/url]
my vids might be good for u (search the vids forum, or spherculism's vids forum [my name is asaf there])
sluke's vids are good too (he might be here under a different nickname...)
there are some more good vids but i cant remember them right now or they're not online anymore (they were hosted at yousendit.com)

u can try hyperloops, airwraps, UTL weaves, throws, buzzsaw weaves (inversions), isolations, antispins.... there's a lot more... do a search for any of the moves above...

Rhettnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I already know how to do most of those. I have already went to many different sites to find new stuff and everything I found I already know how to do. Could you name off more sites please.thanx a lot

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol if you can do everything in those videos and can spin patterns in all of those move families that poi boi listed, you are one the most acomplished spinner i've heard of rhett!

please make a video so we can learn from you! smile

Written by: oli

and i was trying to isolate some offset 2bt weaves, but that didnt work so well.

badass oli - isolation uberbasics biggrin

good luck on getting the isolated 5bt crossover sorted.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
Written by: georgia k

i can very nearly do a btb waist wrap now after weeks of work... i think it would be easier without breasts...

exactly my problem too, damn being a girl!

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

asakuranewbie
13 posts

Posted:
finally have ~clean~ anitspin flowers, i love them so.

also, starting work on lots of isolation stuff. i did 5 consecutive isos in front of me today and learned them in the other direction. but what i'm trying to do now is what i call "un" isolating. you do a regualr iso in w/e plain you do it in then you either have to do quick little stall or whip around and get them to isolate back the way the came. so basically your rewinding the isolation. its hard to because gravity hates me but you can also to a little *hardly noticable* wrist wrap or wrist tap to give them the momentum to go back...its really fun and looks ok.
anyone else got an opinion on it though?

Peace Love Unity Respect, teaching everyone in the community love...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh finally! I just got the alternate butterfly and the mexican wave learned in 15 mins, I think my new poi that are the CORRECT length helped with this one, and I figured if I spin the poi a different direction that what im used to doing the butterfly I found it easyer. Mexican weave is still abit sloppy tho I gotta see myself in the reflection of a window to do it right.

*dances*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I have also got the anitspin flowers going! wink

asakura:post in an isolation or antispin thread maybe?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I got to grips with the isolated antispin buzzsaw fountain. It looks pretty!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i've just about got hyperloops now i just can't get the wrap in quite the right place so it looks a bit uneven

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
butterfly toss~> whip catch

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

the happy manmember
37 posts

Posted:
just got the forwards btb weave im trying to polish it so i can turn into the reverse btb weave, any tips on turning?

"were all in uniforms here and dont you forget it" Mr Zappa

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
I ve just got the btb forwards weave too! However i embarassingly gave myself a black eye doing it! Have to really twist arouund and dodge those poi heads coz they hurt!

Burn like a good bonfire.

the happy manmember
37 posts

Posted:
yey! i just got the 180 behind the back weave!!! hopefully by the end of the night ill have the 360 btb weave.

also i just got the butterfly weave!

"were all in uniforms here and dont you forget it" Mr Zappa

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
btb weave consistently

(and i thought my shoulders were to restricted to do it smile )

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
Ive got a new move that looks rlealy good in fire but not sure what its called or even if it has a name.
Im trying to get it with two poi but only managed to get it with one. not sure how with two.
Spin one poi in a single handed weave then with the other hand cut off the cord about half way and use your hand as the centre of spin. The weave is then continued but half the size. Again looks realy good in fire.
anyone know what its kewl. also can some people try it out and give verdicts on how to do it with two?

Cogito Ergo Sum

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I found out, much to my surprise, that I couldn't actually do backwards antispin flowers. So I learnt them, and all thus all the butterfly variations that involved my stupid right hand spinning backwards. Yay for that!

I've spent most of my time learning everything again with aerotechs this week - they're right weird they are. Sadly I'm going to have to put them away to charge in preparation for play now...

"Take that, math!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jastapus

anyone know what its kewl. also can some people try it out and give verdicts on how to do it with two?

Hmmm... Maybe whilst doing some same direction reels, you could shorten one poi, Or would it be possible to do something with a long arm weave?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a a link for justapus and another just in case...

i learnt mini buzzsaw antispin flowers.

they are fast but fun and also very handy for making clocktime work in my head smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ......