Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i've been away for so long it's more like "i just learned 30 new moves"

still working on getting waist wraps and utl/btl stuff and the butterfly weave btb, but for the most part my trick library seriously just quadrupled if not quintupled............ eek biggrin

look for my entry on the next compilation vid......probably go with black light glow sticks for the old school feel, if not then either my soft glows or fire for sure.....

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
I managed to get the buzzsaw last night, nice transition from 3 beat weave to buzzsaw.

Anybody else find that it's easier to do the buzzsaw with chains as opposed to sock poi?

Also learnt a new move from a mate, but I have no idea what it's called. Spinning in split time in side plane and then alternatively spinning inside and outside. The effect looks almost like a juggling cascade.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Whoo I've been productive.

Finally got huggies, both butterfly and same direction,

anti spin flowers forwards and backwards, plus full and half butterfly antispin flowers, all 4 butterfloops, wristwrapped airwraps, butterfly airwraps (again), inverted butterfly (kinda), crazy tangles with contact, snags and some 90 degree plane transition stuff.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
farting around with my strobey poi whilst trippin at a free party has resulted in some very nice butterfly variations weaving like a mad woman and completely disregarding accidental tangles in favor of freaky wraps. Also got isolations in the works......

WHOOPTY-DOO!!! PROGRESS!!!!

btb reverse weave pretty much sorted too biggrin ubblove ubbloco nana meditate

PhilipMabongBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Well one that I like to do is kind of like the BTB Butterfly except you do the one handed butterfly forward then drop down backwards onto one hand to get the butterfly to flow parallel with your body then you just use your hand that is on the ground to push yourself back up to the regular one handed butterfly and go into whatever you want

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
oli's - sort of! biggrin
butterfly loops, buzzsaw-buzzsaw. only 1 way out of 4 so far though
working on tangle turns but not clean yet and again oly one way frown
and my long neglected btb wheelplane stuff is coming on a treat, got the 4bt the other day from learning....
elbow traps from btb to infront! thanks raven! looks great when you switch hands and tangle on the way out.
and last but not least, spiral wraps round both hands. dead easy, looks great and the ladies love it.
that is all

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Butterfly buzzsaw double wrist wraps switching.

encrypted,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

dj_sacrific3SILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
just learned an odd buzzsaw fountain with flower beats on the reels.

<S.kill> ÐJ_Sacrific3

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
went to a thirteen year old's birthday party and i learnt:

to spin to crappy pop music umm
most of it was at a great tempo for increasing your musicality though... umm umm

also had the best play i've ever had with an aerotech meteor - didn't hit myself even once!

i also seem to have unlearnt the 4 petal antispin flower though (or was having a bad day with them maybe) frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
4 petal antispin butterfly flowers, crossers (thanks to Simian) 360 reel turns, both by the hip and long arm, sketchy airwraps, got my full waistwrap (starting on left) tightened up, got very tight normal antispin flowers (poi forwards, arms backwards), and got sketchy reverse 4 petal antispin flowers). Also, finally got split time TTN, working on outwards version. Itinery after that: impossible weave, antispin flower turns, and goofy flowers. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Yes it's shocking compared to some of the elite moves I see bandied around in here, but I've finally nailed the 5-beat weave, I feel as though my spinning has moved to the next level smile I can also do one hyperloop (the forward one)

I'm gonna go back to the staff forum now and stick to what I'm (not really very) good at :P

Joe x

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
whats a goofy flower? and is the 'impossible weave' the split time butterfly weave then, as I thought it was jsut the butterfly weave from the thread on it earlier, and I know you can do that already sam,

and finally come to synergy on the 24th smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

632 posts

Posted:
I got reverse hyperloops, a few beats of oli-loop and butterfly neck wraps

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Last night I got what Zan calls the "mind meltdown" on the EncycloPoidia. It was totally one of those "I can't believe I couldn't do that!" moments. I also got the meltdown pirouette. Next is adding flower beats to it.

And hyperloops are coming along...they're getting more consistent and under control.

Yakumo: goofy flowers are flowers where one poi is antispin, but the other is regular spin.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

cynderpoiSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I have been working with this move for a little while and I have gotten it down with glowsticks. Im still don't do spiral wraps with fire. But it's one I have either missed or haven't seen during my searches on the forums. It s a butterfly spiral wrap. While doing the butterfly I just exstend my fingers into the prayer position let the poi wrap and pull just as they finish the wrap. If you stop there you are now in the reverse butterfly. You can also let the go out do on beat in reverse and spiral again back into normal butterfly. It makes it look like the butterfly is growing from your hands. My friends liked it. Thought all of you might.

"Fire in the skin,
Fire in the brain,
Fire in the heart,
And fire in the vein."

BlueHairSarstranger
22 posts

Posted:
I've been productive in the last three days:

buzz-saw isolations

TTN isolation

TTN turns

BTB Butterfly waistwraps

Waistwrapy turny thing

Butterfly hyperloop

"Salt N Peppah"

Whee!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Ok,

BW BF -> Trow underneath(under hand) -> tapback it back
(back in direction) -> catch it again underneath
to opposite direction -> repeat with other hand -> FW BF.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I took acid at a club the other day and was using my poi as sock poi by swinging them from the tails with the strings taken off, and someone knocked me as I was doing 5bt and it somehow moved the point where my hands would cross to the strings and I accidentally hyperlooped! I was so into what I was doing because of the acid that I remembered exactly the movement I had done by accident and repeated it, so now I can hyperloop, yay! At least I think it's a hyperloop... They dont spin much, I think its one or half a beat worth of spinning, something like that. This is a hyperloop, right? where the 'extra' beat of the 5bt weave makes the strings cross and uncross on the other side? I may just be being silly. It looks cool anyway, thats the main thing.

Now I just need to learn how to do them backwards!

...Which means I have to stop being lazy and learn 5bt backwards, oh well.

Anyway, to all people who "just cant get" a trick, take some acid or 2-CB, it seems to work for me.

(I'm joking, honest! Drugs are bad, mmmkay? rolleyes)

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Actually I'm not sure that is called a hyperloop... its definately SOME kind of tangle though. Is it a thru-wrap? I have no idea!

632 posts

Posted:
If your poi are tangling on one side of you and unwrapping on the other, then it's a hyperloop. if the poi are wrapping around a part of your body, and unwrapping, then it's a through wrap. If the poi are tangling and untangling in the same place on the same side of you, it's an airwrap.

I hope that helps >,<

I've learnt nothing!

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I think its a hyperloop then, it crosses on one side and uncrosses on the other. Yay! I've almost grasped how to do isolations now too, wicked!

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

and finally come to synergy on the 24th smile

I was there! I did some spinning but looked like a dork next to the jedi jugglers, oh well frown

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
crossarm wibbles

split time wibbles with both hands

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
turning parallel antispin reels smile

can't make the buggers go split time.

but then again, i don't think i can do normal ones split time wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Split time butterfly weave, woo! And Coming out of cross arm reels into wall plane antispin flowers, and back into cross arm reels with my hands the other way up. Nice. A

nd antispin reels, cheers for the idea Cole hug although it looks messy as hell and I can't turn them.

Also getting there with buzzsaw isolations (I'm using fire chains with monkey fist heads) and buzzsaw fountains.

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
OK, I figured out I was doing antispin reels wrong, I was doing the top circles behind my head, where they should be in front. Much cleaner, and it looks great going from normal to antispin.

Split-timing it is problematic, for the same reason normal reels are. When doing the top (shoulder) part, you only do half of the reel (the behind the head bit with normal, in front with antispin) before going into the hip reel bit. As a result, when you get to the hip reels bit, the wrong hand is leading, which means you get both poi crossing paths behind you (normal) or in front (antispin). Whilst this is technically the correct split time version of the move, it's messy and doesn't look right.

The way I deal with this is to modify the shoulder reels part to include the beat in front when I spin in split time. This effectively changes the overall motion from a 3 beat move to a 4 beat move, and means that the leading hand always leads throughout the motion. This looks more like proper linked reels, and is easy to spin normal or antispin.

If that explanation is incomprehensible, hear's a description in terms of beats and positions for normal reels, starting with the hip reel bit going clockwise (I find it easier starting with this):

Right hand behind right hip

Left hand in front of right hip

Right hand in front of left hip

Left hand behind left hip

Right hand in front of left shoulder

Left hand behind left shoulder

Right hand behind right shoulder

Left hand in front of right shoulder

That's for normal reels, for antispin, same sequence, poin spinning opposite way (anticlockwise).

Anyway, that's my new move... biggrin

Yakumo: Yes, impossible weave is split-time butterfly weave. A goofy flower is one where one hand is antispun and the other isn't, for example arms going the same direction and poi are going opposite, or poi going the same direction and arms doing opposite. And yup I'm coming to Synergy! See you there....

Sambo biggrin
EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1163775079)

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
5bt inverted butterflyweave (i think)

antispin weave

a cool negative space throw

clubswingers nightmare (is that its real name??) properly this time

isolated fountain

atomic 3bt weave

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i don't even know what those are?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
tangles hyperloop and half the waist wrap

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I've learned Armpit through-wraps (?) but not quite perfected them yet, and also learned Buzzsaw isolations, which I was trying to do for MONTHS and now I can do them I've realised what was stopping me from being able to do them. The poi I was using were far too light for the momentum to be right. I now use juggling balls in long socks which work really really well. I want to learn more isolations now! biggrin

Page: ......