• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...8283848586...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:Continuos throws, Mr Chutney stylee cool

Delete

fickle
SILVER Member since Jul 2006

fickle

Total posts: 41
Posted:So VERY pleased with myself - I did the reverse 3 beat today!!! And this is after being attacked by a dog in the park for my poi on Friday :o/

Fickle
x

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:Today 'proper' anti-spin clicked in my head smile

I stopped thinking about it, and just did it...

biggrin

Delete

Posted:How on earth do you do a 5beat backwards weave??
ive mastered the backwards weave-cross-arms-like-in-a-5-beat-weave-andF***-it-up
trick but cant do it
can any1 help?

Hey you, yeah you, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!! MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I like saying that.

Delete

Geeza
GOLD Member since May 2006

Geeza

addict

Total posts: 694
Posted:got btb butterfly, now to get the btb weave. 5 beat forward weave is done, reverse 5 beat ive tried and cannot do (yet)

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:(explained as best I can) a weird 5bt notcoleman3 extended by using a barrell roll but never letting either poi change sides

Also 1/4 time isolations looking quite tidy, but now to try with aerotechs instaed of bouncy socks!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

K__
BRONZE Member since Jun 2006

K__

...join us...

Total posts: 184
Posted: Written by: Thepoiboyoflittledoom

How on earth do you do a 5beat backwards weave??
ive mastered the backwards weave-cross-arms-like-in-a-5-beat-weave-andF***-it-up
trick but cant do it
can any1 help?

Have you tried here? Or here? Both are good places to get a few ideas.

Personally the thing that helped me most with 5bt reverse was thinking of it like this - the hand that twists round the other one on one side of your body then pulls both hands back across to the other side.

So, you're in a 3bt rev weave and your poi are on your left hand side. To make it 5bt, your right hand twists round the left hand and then immediately pulls both hands over to your right side. It's as if the right hand/wrist forms a hook and forces the left hand to move across. This move across has to happen fairly quickly or you'll get smacked.

Once on the right hand side, your hands naturally untwist and you simply (?!) repeat the above in a mirror image. And voila! 5bt reverse weave weavesmiley

Watch the video to see what I mean, and good luck smile

Delete

Muskelunge
GOLD Member since Oct 2005

Muskelunge

Total posts: 55
Posted:I've worked out doing a 3-beat weave with 3 entire beats under the leg. It's mostly just for fun.
I'm also starting to get turns in straightjackets.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Delete

drvariety
SILVER Member since Mar 2006

drvariety

Total posts: 75
Posted:Ok, so its a transition from giant windmill to six beat. When your left hand gets to about ninety degrees from left side of body, the other hand comes into it, and does the sixbeat contortionism. Looks very nice while doing a fountain.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Ok, sinchonised weave in pair.

shine on,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

SapphireChicken

Total posts: 13
Posted:I gotta figure out how to use my camera as a digital camcorder.... Firebug just mastered the buzzsaw to the laying down and up. She also started this move I can't describe but it looks awsome.

Delete

Sun_Puppy

Total posts: 31
Posted:This week, I have mastered the windmill, butterfly turn and weave turn.

My btb is getting there but I'm still whacking myself a fair bit. spank

Delete

ubersmack

ubersmack

journeyman

Total posts: 73
Posted:How in the heck do you do a butterfly turn?

"Runs with Scissors"

Delete

Mireneye
SILVER Member since Oct 2005

enthusiast

Total posts: 276
Posted:What's a polar weave?

Personally I cleaned up my BTB Weave and I just started my BTB Reverse Weave.

Delete

kash
GOLD Member since May 2006

kash

Dangerous cynic

Total posts: 166
Posted: Written by: Sun_Puppy

This week, I have mastered the windmill, butterfly turn and weave turn.

YAY me too! Well, I've been windmilling for a while but weave turn, non-turning weave turn and butterfly turn.

I've been spinning on the spot until I feel sick!

Delete

Mr_widd

Mr_widd

eat my face before i eat yours

Total posts: 253
Posted:crossers and anti spin flowers into btb huggies to flowers out of it.

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:SINGLE's

- Horizontal throwing

- Back throwing

- Between the leg wraping

- Orbital swaping

- Inverted shoulder contact

- Long-arm-anti-spin buttefly flower

PAIR's

- Orbital passing

- Parallel turning

GROUP's

- Hyperloop trianlge madness

Code: \ /

\ / \ /

\ / \ /

/ \ / \

uber love,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Seabadger

Total posts: 25
Posted: Written by: kash

Written by: Sun_Puppy

This week, I have mastered the windmill, butterfly turn and weave turn.

YAY me too! Well, I've been windmilling for a while but weave turn, non-turning weave turn and butterfly turn.

I've been spinning on the spot until I feel sick!

Woo, same (well, without the butterfly turns), although I'm still managing to finnish each a little wonkily.

Delete

YellowFever
SILVER Member since Mar 2006

YellowFever

Total posts: 13
Posted:Hey, haven't been on here for months :-(. Only just got a 'net connection in my flat!

But yeh, in my time away I've learnt:

5bt backward weave.
Turning between forward and backward 5bt weaves.
Turning between btb forward and backward 3bt weaves.
Almost got wall plane btb 3bt weaves.

... and...

I think I can do a butterfly weave, although I'd like to see a video to check, any links?

Keep spinning,
YellowFever.

Delete

SunnySammy
SILVER Member since Aug 2005

SunnySammy

Watching the Sky

Total posts: 453
Posted:FRIKIN' 'ELL! I CAN DO THE BUZZSAW!.......THE BUZZSAW!!!!!!!!!

btw. this is all due to one excellent DVD! I think you all know what one. Tis 'Scales Of Poi' - Nick Woolsey. biggrin

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Delete

Sun_Puppy

Total posts: 31
Posted:The buzzsaw is cool - I can't do much with it yet but I can manage a basic one.

This week, I have mostly cracked the btb butterfly and the low windmill. The butterfly weave has, alas, beaten me at this time. eek

Delete

Rovo
GOLD Member since Jul 2003

Rovo

(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)

Total posts: 544
Posted:Hybrids... finally.

Cracked these after being stranded on the side of the road for the second time with the second flat tire of the weekend. Oh and this was after we lost the muffler too.

Peace, Love, Circles

Delete

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted:Just now I clicked with Antispin flowers smile

@ubersmack buterly turn - same way you do any non horizontal plane poi turns, learn the trick with the poi spinning in the opposite direction to the way you normally spin them, you go from one direction to the other as you turn.

it's a bit easier to get your head round if you learn thread the needle in both directions. unless your butterfly turning by bringing both poi up and over your head.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

K__

K__

...join us...

Posted: Written by: YellowFever

I think I can do a butterfly weave, although I'd like to see a video to check, any links?

I'm sure I've seen a video of it but I can't find it now frown Here's a thread about it with some useful descriptions - hope that helps!

Last night I learnt some flowers and btb butterfly smile Btb 5bt weave continues to elude me - I'm not even sure why I'm trying to do it anymore cos there's a lot of other simpler moves I could be learning, but it's become a bit of a personal mission now!

Edit: knew it was somewhere! The whole thread might be helpful, but scroll down to sketch's post to see the video smile

EDITED_BY: K__ (1155824456)

Delete

Fractos

Fractos

Dirty Fire Project

Total posts: 133
Posted:Finally got reverse 5bt weave last night, after a whole load of doing 5 with my right hand and 3 with my left for the past couple of months, while being able to do 5bt forward pretty cleanly. Was really starting to wind me up.. the other night I was *thinking* hard about the move and just kinda went for it, finally persuading my left hand to stick around on my left side for another beat instead of automatically coming over when my right hand joins it.

It's a right hassle when you've got to de-program yourself!

The effort paid off and last night I managed to get the full 5 beats clean and looped... must remember not to try that with fire poi till I've practiced it a bit more!

keep at it

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

Delete

K__

K__

...join us...

Posted:That feeling of finally getting 5bt is awesome innit - good work Fractos ubbrollsmile

Delete

Fractos

Fractos

Dirty Fire Project

Total posts: 133
Posted: Written by: K__

That feeling of finally getting 5bt is awesome innit - good work Fractos ubbrollsmile

Definitely progress and a weight off my mind. Speaking of which, another reason not to try it with fire poi is that sometimes I can forget that I'm doing 5bt reverse and end up doing 3bt but without moving my hands across - *WHACK* right on the head. First time I did that was with my practice chains. Ouch.

Daresay it'll get better though wink

Thanks btw smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:I learnt to switch between reverse and forwards ttn by turning 180 last night! biggrin Saw someone else doing and tried it myself... worked 1st time, yayness!!

I'm still @ that 5/3 stage with reverse 5bt, fractos... frown or @ least I think that's what's going on... I can't count the beats properly, but I know there's more than 3 and don't think there's as many as 5 (not consistently on both sides anyway).

flowers suck, cos they're too hard...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

awaken

awaken

The Evil Pixie (apparently)

Total posts: 716
Posted:yes still trying to get clean flowers shrug

got a couple beats of the btb weave the other day, and can sometimes pull off air wraps.. not very consistant tho.. in fact, i'd go as far to say.. its a fluke when i do get them :P

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

Delete

pixiejester
GOLD Member since Jun 2006

pixiejester

Total posts: 57
Posted:Hello. Im new here, and haven't being doing poi for long. Since the begining of the year I really started getting into it. I can do the weave, (split) butterfly, halo, angel wings, one handed butterfly, which I can just about change hands with. Which I'm proud of. Though I can only do the weave and butterfly with fire at the moment. I'm wanting to learn btb butterfly and weave, and under the legs butterfly.

PixieJester

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

Delete

Page: 1...8283848586...117