Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Letsgrooveagainstranger
1 post

Posted:
its not a really fancy move but its feels cool and it flows nicely...pretty easy too.

you do a btb butterfly then move to a reg butterfly and then behind your head then back btb...its makes one hell of a cool picture..like a figure 8 then you got trails behind your back 2

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I'm stuggling with the 3 beat backward weave - any tips?
My planes go to pot when I cross the poi in front when spinning backwards! This generally ends up with hitting myself in the face. Luckily I practise with soft poi.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Do it slowly, practise it as a 2 beat on each side. Once you have that confidently try starting on the strongest side, and go for 1 3 beat and then back to wheel plane on each side. Repeat this on the other side until you have that stronger. Then repeat it each side until you get the transition between the 2 a little more confidently, then it's just a case of putting it all together and hopefully you should have it soon.

This is the method I used to learn it, others may have better ideas. Don't be afraid of hitting yourself either, it's only a few bruises smile

Good luck
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1248224285)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
MNS: The current ones are quite comprehensive. They are also pretty common, since it is viewed as such a basic move.

Maybe someone should look for some video tutorials and put them all in a thread like Simta did ages ago....

If no one objects (and/or does it before me), I may do it in a few weeks.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Inordinately pleased with myself tonight!! smile

I finally got the 3 beat weave sussed thanks to seeing a video that showed the hand movements from above!! grin

Might not sound like much but it was really bugging me!! wink

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

NeverDollNew and Improved!
16 posts

Posted:
I have at last managed to do a reverse 2 beat weave with my right hand leading! I could do the two beat forward with both hands, and reverse with left leading but that right lead took me an hour and a half! Very begginner I know, but I've only had about ten hours of practice total. clap

Now...to start BTB....

Love All, Trust Few, Do Harm To None.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going!

Took me forever to do btb stuff.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Yay! I just did my first uber loop and omg are they addictive.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Wraith_DividendSILVER Member
Bunny Bane
205 posts
Location: i cant see because my head is up my posteria, Engl...

Posted:
ghad loops piss me off majorly....even more than BTB weaves which make my back hurt due to bruises

how the hell (aston/MNS) do you do BTB? i watch all kinds of vids and read everything i can aout them but for the life of me i just keep hittin me or the poi hit each other

PS: could this just be the tails? (relation to other topic)

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, I started with one. If you are spinning backwards, instead of crossing in front of you, you can cross behind you. Going backwards means it will be coming at you face, but you can use your other (empty) hand to ward that off, so hopefully saving a bruise or two. You can follw pretty much the same steps used to learn it in front of you, except you cross behind you back. Sounds a bit trivial I guess, but it really is that simple.

The other thing that helps is to keep the poi spinning in one plane and to rotate yourself into it. Nick Woolsey covers this in one of his tutorials and it is a good way to get used to it.

Otherwise, find soft poi and take the hits. After a while they hit less.

The tails may be part of it, but it depends on what is catching where.

Also, you might want to stretch before this, since most people do not have much range of motion behind them. Also, because of this, it may take you time to get the required flexibility to get your hand all the way around your back.

Hope that that helps.

Flow422BRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
been poiing about a month now, just started practicing the 3 beat weave 2 days ago, and got it down yesterday while waiting for the bus. hmm, what to learn next...=P

Bunny Bane
205 posts

Posted:
i realise that i posted my last post on the wrong topic

SO to make up for it i managed to learn the 5 beat weave forwards last night grin
it's still a bit sloppy and its easier with my socks. but nonetheless i am feeling very good about it smile

-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
-
-

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
It took me forever to get backward 5 beat, try doing the motions with your wrists while hanging upside down and study that for a bit, then remember to fling the poi over instead of flopping it like fowards. Also while I'm posting, I learned btb a weird way, practice the woolsey way, one hand at a time, and then when that is comfy and fresh, do a foward weave, focus on your planes, then turn 180 and leave the poi in the same place, and you will have reverse btb. I think reverse is a bit easier, but thats me. Move your body to avoid getting hit, as you get better that movement becomes smoother.

Bunny Bane
205 posts

Posted:
the windmill and the fountain over the weekend
plus now that i can do a form of fountain i also found out how to smoothly switch from forwards to reverse 3 beat

all in all quite pleased especially as i stopped for months due to bad weather and no indoor space to practice

-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
-
-

16 posts

Posted:
Ha! Three beat weave has been accomplished!

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Excellent smile I was well pleased when I finally got that working!! Now I'm trying to figure it out in reverse! smile

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

MelissaRhaeI have dibbs on Zack Attack
11 posts

Posted:
I figured out how to turn with a three beat weave, smoothing going from forwards weave to backwards and repeat. Now I am working on a 5 beat weave.

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Turning and reverse moves open up so many possibilities. Seriously, no matter how much you will hate it, don't stall on learning stuff on your weak side. I still can't do airwraps and hyperloops from the left!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mine are shaky. But yes, I would almost suggest learning with your weak side first....

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
the contact juggler i got my start from years a go said he learns new moves on his weak side easier, perfects them on his strong side and goes back and polishes is weak side after.

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I brought my Poi with me when I went on a 10 day youth exchange to Germany...turned out one of my youth leaders does Poi too so we were both Poiing around outside our log cabins and some of the other young people started watching us- we ended up teaching most of the other 15 young people how to do a butterfly, 2 beat weave and corkscrew!

Also brought it with me on a residential I went on with my young arts group last weekend-turned out that there was a guy on it, Paul who also did Poi! Paul and I Poied for a bit on the beach, I got the 3 beat down to a t, (it had been bothering me for weeks!) Paul taught me how to do a corkscrew behind my head and then I ended up taking a Poi session on the beach, teaching some of the others how to do it!

ChinChinniOh, there goes art.
23 posts

Posted:
I just learned the backwards 3-beat weave grin I was practicing it a bit and suddenly I just did it, I astonished myself tongue2 But I'm proud too ^^

Have you seen my marbles?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice work people....

Ska ShaPoi Punk
10 posts

Posted:
Woo, ive been poi-ing for just short of a week, learned corkscrew, butterfly, 2 beat weave, buzzsaw, turns (forth and back) and now I just got the 3 beat weave after days of toiling! Just got to learn to stop hitting myself in my knee and hitting my boobs everytime I do a buzzsaw!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Are you shortening your poi any for buzzsaws?

For the knee, make sure your planes and crosspoints are consistent.

Ska ShaPoi Punk
10 posts

Posted:
Yeah ive been trying different lengths, all of which Ive found are cringe worthy lol.

Ive been working on doing everything with one hand just to work on where they cross passed my legs smile

16 posts

Posted:
So... I threw a reverse three beat! I was doing forward with my poi friends, and thought...you know what? What happens if I... And I was thrilled to learn my hands just sort of figured it out!

Also.. I don't know what the move is called, I was watching one of my friends do a move where he took both of the poi and swung them up over and behind his head then back down again at the same time, and I ended up learning how to alternate them in circles over my head. Odd, yet entertaining!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Chasing the sun is the first, I think. Which is much like a same time windmill.

The other as best I can guess is a windmill... have you tried a corkscrew?

hug

16 posts

Posted:
I haven't tried a corkscrew yet, but I shall attempt it tonight. I get to practice while I work overnights smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
This is the end of my third week spinning poi, and this week I've figured out threading the needle, the five beat weave, and the four beat corkscrew. (These last two are kind of spotty, but I just figured them out tonight.) Goals for the next week: reverse threading the needle, the four beat windmill, and behind the back three beat weave, and managing to do a bloody reverse butterfly for 30 consecutive seconds without colliding (I can't believe I'm still working on that one).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s