Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...4243444546...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

infinite
infinite

Total posts: 110
Posted:hello every one, I have not been doing this for very long only like 2 weeks but I have learned all teh basics and am trying new things every day. I have never seen this. Do the weave in reverse, stick your thumbs out really far and when your right hand is over your left hand you catch the string with your thumb and make it spin in half the size circle it was going to and let go. IF you can do this with both hands the effect is dizzying to watch.. Because you are doing the weave however the poi are spinning an extra revolution from a point that only exists for a second on each side. when you do it in front of you the poi sling shot over your head off of your thumb and can only be described as like the moon circling the earth which is your hand while the both of your hands are still doing the weave which is the solar system.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Delete

Y.T.
hopeless addict
Total posts: 121
Posted:doing a hyperloop when one poi is coming under the armpit (like the one pwople usually do from backwards butterfly), but btb in the wall plane, gotta love late night caffiene fueled poi binges!

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:turning crossers both ways,180 then 360.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Total posts: 1376
Posted:Did my first split-time butterfly airwrap earlier... odd things indeed!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

OrangeBobo
OrangeBobo

veteran
Total posts: 1389
Posted:Productive day...

+butterfly isos (or some variation thereof),

+someweave thing with wraps that makes it like a million beats on one side *doesn't really know what she did, but it looks cool, and feels accomplished* (I just went and counted it, and going through one whole... left to right right to left, on poi circles 10, and both do that... wiggy),

+the concept of buzzsaw isos (only getting them 50% of the time ._.),

+btb bicep wrap,

+bf to btb bf (dunno why I never tried it before).

Some more, but I forget what it was.... weavesmiley

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Delete

Y.T.
hopeless addict
Total posts: 121
Posted:all manner of mindgames, i tried writing them down so i could post them but the variations seem to be virtually limitless,

a vid coming soon i hope smile

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Delete

infra
Total posts: 29
Posted:Well.. I was about to go to sleep but then I watched a couple of Sage's video clips... The two tricks/variations that will now keep me awake until I master them were in the second vid clip.. And forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to the world of poi terminology but what I found interesting was when she spun the poi under her legs and then brought it back to its position in the simple weave it was just in... The second bit I found visually stimulating was when she was once again doing the weave and then ... nope.. I do not think I will be able to describe it. frown.. hmm.. She, I guess, was doing a regular weave and then spun the poi under/through her arms confused lol.. I managed to do it but what is it called?.. And I just learned the under the legs weave (??) she was also doing. That is realy fun to do!

hello?

Delete

Faberg
veteran
Total posts: 1459
Posted:double staff!!! biggrin

no idea what moves i was doing though. it was the first time i picked them up so i just started doing some poi moves and hey, it worked.

guess who's getting doubles for xmas biggrin cool biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

ado-p
ado-p

Pirate Ninja
Total posts: 3882
Posted:not if i have anything to do with it

*mumbles about how the older ones are learing do fast these days*

anyway, get out of here, this is a poi forum

Love is the law.

Delete

Faberg
veteran
Posted:ubblol

(ado-p is mad jealous ubblol)

tongue

i looked for "i just learned a new move" in the staff forum but didn't see one......shrug

Delete

Frulein
Frulein

Fireotographer on Hiatus
Total posts: 284
Posted:ubblol And she looked sooo graceful!!

"I see," said the blind man.

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:
BFSnake turn(double) smile,
Isolated wrist contact buzzsaw(double),

recomend 4 of 5 spinners smile

Enjoy:)

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

dj_retro
dj_retro

Total posts: 87
Posted:5beat ttn...forward and reverse, in one day none the less. all the thanks in the world go out to dantana...everytime i meet this guy i learn like 5 new moves just by watching him and then he goes and explains things and gives me ideas for like 10 more! oh yea and damn him for his iso bf nexus thing...that just pisses me off. smile

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

Delete

garthy
garthy

old hand
Total posts: 717
Posted:Horazontal Plane Flowers? Err...spin around with your arms out keeping the poi spinning vertilcly at right angles to a fixed plane.

and....
And almost got Giant Windmill one way. Getting smother every day biggrin bounce

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Delete

infinite
infinite

Posted:It might be a new trick, forwards, it goes right hand over left hand and left hand over right hand. 3 beat weave. This is scary. It's the crossover move from the 5 beat into the opposite crossover with no regular weave.

Delete

infinite
infinite

Posted:NEW TRICK Forwards weave, with hands mimmicking the backwards weave. forwards weave with Right hand over left hand to left hand over right hand and repeat. ADVANCED PEEPS READ THIS- If you learn this weave forawrds you can do a 3 beat and a 5 beat waeve in a row on one side of your body, and and carry your right hand over left on changover and do it again. Pretty sure that this is a 7 weave with no wrap because I do a 3 weave into a 5 weave on each side of me before I switch an do both on the other side of me. Did I come up with this or what. So If I do a 3 weave inside my arms and then do a 7 weave with 1 wrap what am I doing??? I also can do Air wraps like a mofo recently. Try to unwind it over your head, it's a different trick. I will try to buy some crap, aka GLO poi. so I can show yall a 3+5 weave on the right to a 3 weave to airwrap. I love this place, I Live in AShland ORegon, I practice every day. I have been spinning poi for 3 weeks. I love everyone here you have helped me out so I am sharing the weird 3 weave in hopes that yall will destroy ten times harder.

Delete

infra
Total posts: 29
Posted:Cool! I can now finally do the btb weave. (I am assuming all those "btb"s I have been seeing stand for Behind The Back... heh)..

So I just finished eating some scones and jam and decided to give it a whirl and 10 minutes later >POOF< it all lines up... I would like to thank HoP for supplying the video clips I watched to see the mechanics/positioning of the trick! I was not making any progress on my own... And now for the btb 5beat thingy.

hello?

Delete

Faberg
veteran
Posted:more doubles stuff biggrin

i don't have a clue about staff terminology. must start reading more in the staff section..... rolleyes

right, what i can do so far is sort of like (with poi) a split butterfly variation - low wave, mexican wave type of thing in the front and back wall plane. can also do it with an extra rotation at the front with some sort of snakey type thing thrown in.

could only do this on sunday from the forwards figure of eight move. now i can also do it in reverse. AND get the extra snakey bit in, but this time the extra spin is behind my back. i can do this one same time and split time. same time's a bit iffy though coz my practise staffs are a bit long i think.

then there was also this other cool thing where it's like you're spinning a reverse 2bt (poi) in parallel side planes, eh.... lets say two reverse figures of eight, in split time, arms stretched out in front, so that one staff is on the outside and one is inverted, and then the other one is on the outside and the other one is inverted... and so on and so forth...... no idea what this looks like but it feels like it has the potential to look/feel nice with a bit of practise biggrin

none of that makes any sense to anyone but me so i'll shut up now until i can speak the lingo..... redface

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:two bt barrel roll crossed arm thing, that Nx taught oli and he taught me. It's kinda pointless but still kool.

Some one poi contact, had lots of fun with this making some cool patterns and stuff. Handcuff wraps, leg/shoulder/arm/neck passes and all sorts. Now I have lots to keep me entertained when one poi flys outta my hand biggrin

Improved my vertical propellors lots & horizontal propellors are better now too. Way more consistent and flowy. Lots of single poi contact (one spinning, one contacting) mid spin like exagerated suicides, leg rolls and what not. Has been a good week/weekend.

Oli taught me some other stuff too but I forgot what it was, I just remember going "Cool, I'm gonna learn that properly" and then forgot rolleyes stoner wink peace

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:One of these days I'll actually get to meet you and oli and plunder, I mean learn, your moves wink

Anyway spent last night playing with atomic hyps more. Starting to work out how each of the 8 entries affect what you can do and how the various tangles move. Also starting to get direction changing atomic hyperloops, but they require some fancy timing I've not quite got down yet.

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Total posts: 275
Posted:lovely lovely weird inverted weave things... you can pretty much make any beat you like go between the arms and the body instead of going where it normally would, and without the other one following it in... to the point where a weave with normal 5bt transitions has 4 beats inside and 5 outside, on each side.
and you can do a 5bt with each poi staying inside for one transition and then outside for the other, the left one's inside for the left to right, and the right ones inside for right to left, and they still do 2 beats on the same side, 3 on the crossed...
and you can do a no elbow 9 where all the difficult bits get moved inside where they're easier, by transitioning where you'd transition for a 7 but to the inside instead.
and you can drop in buzzsaw and buzzsaw inverts and watermills and reverse is even nicer...

--ben

Delete

arashi
arashi

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2363
Posted:all right. that's it.
I WANNA GO TO ENGLAND!!!!!!!
you guys better stop, you're making life very frustrating for me. moving atomic airwraps? inside 9 beats? why am i not there playing with you?!?!?! these are too much fun to do alone.
piss off. just piss off.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Total posts: 275
Posted:split time ttn's that go all inverted on either end. and 2 and 3 beat ttns that go inside-outside-inside-outside. and offset versions of same...

arashi man, soon as i can afford it i'm coming to austin...

--ben

Delete

Dut
lurker
Total posts: 380
Posted:^^ i call that family the 'longarm exverse buttersaws'.

okay, I just invented that name. wink whatever.

they fall off the sides of the full inverse TTN if you turn your body 90 degrees and line up into 'buzzsaw' plane. (your arms are inside, crossed longarm, the poi is outside making buzzsaws-butterflys). you can also just make a buzzsaw-bflys off to the side of a regular bfly weave and push the arms through the planes to cross-longarm position. there's a whole family of transistions in there, I think!

oh, and the first time i got 'the buttersaw weave', I nearly shat my pants. can I say shat here?

anyone got a digi-cam in the Nashville, TN area?

-- dut

EDITED_BY: Dut (1100658762)

Delete

Dut
lurker
Total posts: 380
Posted:oh. my actual new moves are BTH bfly weave and the beginnings of isolations. i've got a few beats continuous of buzzsaw both directions and the outsides and insides of the 3beat iso-weave, but I'm struggling on keeping both going together...

err. the insides and the outsides together.. not the BTH bflys and isolations... not yet.

-- dut

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Various negative space silliness, and even sillier thru-wraps where you start on one leg with the other one folded so your foot is near your arse - floor plane off of leg, wall plane off of ankle with 180 degree turns and so on. Absolutely stupid looking! ubblol

And hyperlooped comb-overs aka "the toupee".

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:Written by: spiralx

One of these days I'll actually get to meet you and oli and plunder, I mean learn, your moves wink

And very much a big ditto there dude biggrin Those changing direction atomics sound cool as phuk, maybe one day I'll have the plane control to start doing normal ones!!

ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Ah but remember the secret... hyperloops are all about breaking perfect planes - so you don't need to have them in the first place ubblol

Delete

dj_retro
dj_retro

Total posts: 87
Posted:so check this out, i dont know if it was because of my MONTHS of extreme frustion and loads of help from this site or if my friend is just natrualy gifted...but i just taught him how to do a standard 3bt weave in 5 min. i was quite amazed at this learning ablitly.

all i gotta say is that its all about the droping the poi, slowing it down, and learning one hand at a time.

so im thinking ill do that with all my moves from now on and learn them in 5 min like i did my 5 bt ttn's.

oh yea almost got the 5 bt bf weave...still kinda slopy...i love when i get to practice with dantana and he shows me all sorts of new stuff that i know how to do just havent put them together yet.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:i havnt learnt anything smile

*walks away, picks up poi, learns something*

ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no