Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Whoo! horizontal buzzsaws! I really should do revision... but its so dull!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

SquintywitchSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Inversions are the new black.

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
not really a move but combo, backwards iso weave into a inverstion rolling across my chest into backwards buzzsaw then backwards iso weave. looks cool i think, thats if i described it right, not to hot on the old names. but i go on what i read on here.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
bahaha. i was playing the other day and found the funniest looking move i've ever done. i'd call it an "under the leg airwrap double table top". right hand (for example) goes UTL from the front, left goes UTL from behind, they airwrap and go to "double bicep wrap" around the same-side thigh, but as they're unwrapping, you close your thighs together so they both bounce again off the opposite-side thigh. then you can keep going back and forth - which i'd call a tabletop if it were on my biceps instead of my thighs - bouncing off each thigh, before pulling it back out of the airwrap/wrap either regular or inverse depending on which way they heads bounced last and whether you want to follow the front or btb head out. ubblove that airwrap combo.

-- dut

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll wait for the vid, my brain is dizzy after reading that. smile

I've been working on this goofy 180 buzzsaw hyperloop to turning windmill to turning crosser isolation thingy. It's all basically a weave but the direction keeps changing as you turn.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Jinxznewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Wow, i have no idea what you lot are on about modt of the time.... i feel like sucha newbie... WERE NOT WORTHY WERE NOT WORTHY....but also good coz it means iv got LOADS more to learn!!! oooh the possibilities...

I THINK iv managed the 5 bt weave but im not sure iv got it right and i manged low turns the other day althoguh was kinda by accident at first (sorta tripped into it- flailing arms= swooshy poi!! wheeeeeeeeeeee)

SquintywitchSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Funny inversion hyperloopy thing. Oooooooooh.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
btb weave full turn and continue in reverse. next step, turn into forwards and stay there smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: mtbeer

I'll wait for the vid, my brain is dizzy after reading that. smile

I've been working on this goofy 180 buzzsaw hyperloop to turning windmill to turning crosser isolation thingy. It's all basically a weave but the direction keeps changing as you turn.

i'm vid deficient, but i know you'd like it. it's the airwrap+double bicep wrap thingy that i came up with in your presence, only with legs instead of arms and a front/rear entry instead of from the same side (pretty sure that wouldn't work well anyways). i already had all the arm/leg variations and even the arm/neck ones down, so i thought, "why not do it all UTL." wink i guess BTB is next? oh snap.

-- dut

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Nice! can't wait to see it in person.

I finally got a few of the butterfly tangles worked out now! Thanks to Dantana and his great slow-mo vids. Now to get them cleaned up and mixed in...

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Have been working on alot of underleg stuff recently, inclusing hip reely turns, and hyperloops. Pretty stuffs, just need to get it all clean.
Also some new stalls, also pretty, also needing to get clean..

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
yeah yeah, no biggy to the rest of you, but in my search for flowers expertise and tips, I came across the butterfly weave... I kept on being unable to get out of a 4-beat rhythm, until I clicked that as long as I got the TTN part right, and then moved out of the TTN with my left hand first, I would get the 3-beat right.

... as with most poi moves, it just friggin happened!

www.domorepoi.com also helped quite a bit....

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

Connorboonewbie
1 post

Posted:
yay,i taught myself 3 beat weave yesterday and today ive gotten down doing 5 beat on my left side and im working on getting it on the right,its hard!

i started with keys and drawstring...yeesh

psyBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
yay just got the 3bt weave...my second day of playing with sock poi ubbrollsmile
just had to tell somebody hehe..yes i'm an amatuer

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Butterfly weaves and some more interesting contact stuff and a notcoleman5

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
horizontal hyperloops from below the hands (-wrap) to above the hands (-unwrap) - someone done that? ah - for sure andy has done that already... meditate

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I found This in a thread:

slow double catch to airwrap release

So I learnt it.

Cheers Rob!! Been bugging me for ages, that one!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one ofs smile

Written by: FireTom

horizontal hyperloops from below the hands (-wrap) to above the hands (-unwrap) - someone done that? ah - for sure andy has done that already... meditate

that's what i was doing when i met rob for the first time - he came over and said "i've been playing with that too".

in some ways, that first conversation has never actually ended... wink

i learnt more bits of antispin - i can now do the weave crossover from right to left (poi spinning backwards) - which means i'm nearly at the point where i can spin in antispin for a while with turns and all that like what that monkey and rev can do smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks cole. Am finding it a little harder than I originally thought. Its one of these moves I can do when I don't think about it.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Just accidentally figured out butterfly hyperloops.

Been doing butterfly airwraps for ages - now I get it I cant believe that its taken me so long to work out the tiny progression.

Non-Https Image Link

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Butterfly time suicide rolls on both wrists, alternating. Straight jacket weave and turn, I learned the Butterfly straightjacket!!
Behind the back arm crossers going forwards. 360 BTB weave turning left. Tons of contact stuff, Not many people doing butterfly time contact ttricks?? THey are amazing. I Learned BTB throws over my shoulder.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
We seem to be a very select group of individuals although I'm mostly working on traps and stuff like that. It seems to be a little bit more mind bendy when you start doing butterfly time contact stuff.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
BF SJ, inverted 3-4 beat butterfly weave. TTN with a behind the head takout every other beat. Learning wallplane SJ, holy sheeit its hard.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Flowers and anti spin flowers as of last week biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Yuk.

I learnt a 5 beat weave.

Willy - is bad for your health...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm rather impressed with myself because yesterday i manged to go from a butterfly to a bummerfly! Brilliant! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

87wt2gxq7veteran
1,502 posts

Posted:
What's a bummerfly jojo?

(for me, 4 beat waistwrap which I find a lot easier than 2 beat for some reason...)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
its a butterfly through the legs and next to your bum.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

87wt2gxq7veteran
1,502 posts

Posted:
Oh right.

'k, I just learned the bummerfly biggrin

And for a fleeting moment there, bummerfly hyperloops!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
always showing me up Jon!!! GRRR!!!!

Page: ......
HOP Newsletter