Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...4647484950...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Spacecow00x
Spacecow00x

Total posts: 170
Posted:I too just got the hang of a couple hyperloop tricks, making them clean now, i just got the btb weave down still making that clean also

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

Delete

_Aime_
_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4172
Posted:miss.aimz just taught herself a hyperloop biggrin

Delete

creaturesfarley
stranger
Total posts: 22
Posted:Written by: spiralx

No idea, but could you lose the text message speak? It's truly painful to read and doesn't exactly put you in a good light rolleyes

woops. sorry :P its just so difficult to break out of. i swear that soon txt will be an alternative language to english and people will be taking degrees in it etc lol

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:what i believe to be possibly a notcoleman5 smile although it dosnt seems to me more of a new way of splicing together a buzzsaw and a 5 bt than a new move to me, but maybe im doing something else. either way its new smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Total posts: 1376
Posted:Turning buzzsaws and other inside and inverted shenannigans. There's definitely a fine art to all of this... smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:hyperlooped antispun fountain thingies, incredibly easy to get into abd do the move, much harder to finish cleanly and exit but worth the effort smile

Vertical Propellors up to a reasonably consistent 10 beats biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Total posts: 275
Posted:inverted thruwraps of various kinds... some that stay inside for one beat before exiting, some that go outside after coming inside and then have to come back inside on the other side to unwrap... and hyperlooped versions of the same, one that the strings cross, one poi comes inside, transition and then the other comes inside to undo, and one that goes inside outside transition to outside back inside to undo.
waistwraps where the carry is a crosser and as such the poi are always one transition away from each other, rather than transitioning together, which came from fiddling about with separating the poi by 1.5 beats rather that the normal 0.5...
weirdly inverted turning split time butterfly where you swap which poi is inverted during the turn... not sure how it works but it does...

--ben

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:Take the weight off Staff technique, static center technique smile R:

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Posted:more stuff where i throw the poi head around

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Posted:and some more... i suppose you'd call one of them suicide thruwraps but i have no idea what you'd call one normal spinning poi and one propeller on the same hand. they go at different speeds. it's quite bizzarre.

--ben

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:It'd be called a propellor I reckon wink

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Posted:oh right. i thought the propeller bit was just the contact poi part...
and so: turning propellers. they work a lot like fishtails, crossed with thruwraps. concentrate on the contact poi, and the other poi deals with itself. you can even bring the contact one inside...

--ben

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Posted:crossers with one arm crossed infront and one arm behind. proper btb crosser still not in sight though frown

and also what i think is a proper under the leg weave, feels and looks like it should be anyway, one hand going through from the front and one from behind. both feet planted on floor. been wanting to get it for ages. so im happy biggrin

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Total posts: 2216
Posted:Haven't posted in here for ages but i had a REALLY good spin yesterday with the sun behind me so could see my shadow. My Flowers are gradually getting cleaner although turning ones are still a bit scrappy. Anti spin ones are coming on nicley and horizontal hyperloops getting better. I got the straight arm butterfly reel sorted i was playing with as well as finally getting my exit from straight arm windmill sorted so can do it continuous at last. Also finally worked out a proper straight arm 5bt buttlerfly weave. S'gonna take a while to get going all 4 ways tho.... s'all good! biggrin

an oli, i'm getting really close to a btb crosser at the moment. well done for the utl weave cos that's been avoiding me forever.... rolleyes

there's loadsa other stuff i've learnt since last time i posted here but can't remember what....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Posted:oli and duballstar, learn btb outward butterfly crossers first, they're the easiest as you can see the poi that's transitioning to the front before and during the transition, cos it happens down near the floor and under the other arm. once you've got that, the timing for weave crossers is much simpler to get...

3bt inverted inside weave with buzzsaw invert transitions, without screwing up the exit and wrapping... and 3bt btb trailing poi inverted weave (i think. i don't have a mirror that'll show it, but it feels right and the poi seem to be doing the right things...)

--ben

Delete

Bird
Bird

now available in "advanced"
Total posts: 6086
Posted:Today, finally, after days of wondering if it was possible, I got a whip catch to work coming out of a revers btb weave! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:eek

I wanna see, I WANNA SEE!

explainwithmoredetailsimmediatelybeforeIburtstplease

Delete

Bird
Bird

Posted::attemptintoexplianwithmoredetail:

do a reverse btb weave, then, as the left poi swings upwards on your right side, let go, it falls nicely in the path of the right poi, so you can whip catch it, and you can return it to your left hand in front of you (hopefully) before it gets too tangled! Its not perfect yet, but I'll have it down by Falmouth, for sure! biggrin

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:prefectly explained :d

*runs off to learn new catchiness*

hug

Delete

Bird
Bird

Posted:I first did it by accidentally letting go (as happens) and it kinda tangled, so that set my mind wondering! biggrin good luck and have fun!

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:ubblol reminds me of my first ever whip catch, thought I was sooooo original till Durbs put his vid up rolleyes

If you can do it that way Dave you can certainly do it from TTN thrown.

Same time normal butterfly. TTN the right over left and let it go when your right hand is just over your left and thre poi is just about horizontal, it falls perfectly into the path of the left and comes straight back to your hand biggrin somehow ending in reverse butterfly but cool all the same

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Posted:ben - thanks, i just been trying what you suggested and well i can now see that it can happen smile

last night i was having a conversation with someone, and as you do i was twiddling my socks about in 'idle mode'. for me this is normally anticlockwise airwraps. but last night after a while i noticed id been doing them clockwise which i can never normally do with any consistancy. as soon as i noticed i was doing them the next one went wrong though, but then i worked out the feeling so i got clockwise airwraps pretty much as cool as going the other way now smile

also learnt to gently tap the head of a flying poi to change the direction of the handle.

Delete

Bird
Bird

Posted:*runs off to play with TTN throws*

Delete

shen shui
shen shui

no excuses. no apologies.
Total posts: 1799
Posted:today i figured out how to turn 180 deg from unreverse thru-the-keyhole (if thats what its called) to reverse thru-the-keyhole.
<does a little dance>
god i wish i had some one to poi with...
<groans theatrically>
<goes and does more poi>

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Total posts: 2216
Posted:going back to the top of the page i think i meant btb straightjacket not crossers but thanks for the idea ben! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Rev
Rev

Bastard Newbie Messiah
Total posts: 1269
Posted:btb sj is all in the entrance.. learn the btb inversions and you'll slowly work to stretch yourself enough..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:BTB airwraps. Almost there with antispin flowers now as well - it's just a matter of putting the individual bits together.

Delete

garthy
garthy

old hand
Total posts: 717
Posted:Written by: spiralx

Almost there with antispin flowers now as well - it's just a matter of putting the individual bits together.

Been trying this and it's so bloody hard!

Errm... also a giant windmill with a double stall Behind my back.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Parallel crossarm inversions. Or maybe crossarm cranes in arashi-speak smile

Delete

Klowny
Klowny

Disco Inferno
Total posts: 160
Posted:I was out back twirling when i whent for a neck wrap/roll/whateva and let go of the staff and just kept my body moving to keep the momentum goin and ended up doin a hands free helicopter around my neck, fluke though havent been able to do it since.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Delete

Page: 1...4647484950...117